2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

A second or a third. None of the top tackles are slam dunks and there’s are about six that are really close to each other in my opinion.

Skor at Northwestern is probably the best but he has alligator arms. A mirroring wizard.

Jones from Georgia looks to have the highest upside based on his athletic profile.

The senior at Tennessee has only had one good year IMO 

Harrison from Oklahoma has some tools.

Either of the OSU tackles fit our GMa profile for long arm tackles. Their ridge tackle is massive but kind of sloppy. He may have to be a guard going forward.

Maush from NDS is versatile and solid. 

The next tier of tackles to me are Freeland, Bergeron, and Duncan. I’m not a big fan of Duncan as he seems to be a turnstile based on his sacks allowed and pressure in a league without a first round defender outside of Clemson’s two. I can’t even think of a ACC edge that is rated in the top four rounds apart from the 19 year old at Clemson.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Pixote said:

Question for you draft savvy friends of mine. There has been some speculation on the forum we might trade down further in round 1 to pick up even more picks. I'm not sure I am in favor of this. I want a top OT. However, my question is, from your understanding of the trade charts & past history of such trades, if the Bears would trade back, lets say 6 to 10 slots, what type of compensation would you suspect they would receive?

Probably to move 3-5 spots gets you a three unless a QB is left to be drafted, then maybe a 2. If you don't move to far down, one of the top 3 will still be there. Broderick Jones is the most athletic and think that's who Piles takes anyway.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Probably to move 3-5 spots gets you a three unless a QB is left to be drafted, then maybe a 2. If you don't move to far down, one of the top 3 will still be there. Broderick Jones is the most athletic and think that's who Piles takes anyway.

3 down is HOU, 4 is NYJ, and 5 is NE. I doubt any of them are taking a QB there unless HOU goes Anderson at #2 and one of the top QBs drops. 

There is no scenario that I can see that yields an early to mid second rounder unless a team like SEA wants to move up from #20 and give up #37.

I couldn't find a realistic trade partner that was far enough back to warrant a 2nd rounder but not so far back that the 2nd rounder wasn't in the 50s. WAS or PIT? Maybe, but what are they trading up for?

I really think the Bears are locked in at #9, and the only way they get an earlier pick in the 2nd is by moving up using one of their current ones (#53+#104 = #43), something like that. Using one of their extra 5ths, they could get into the early 4th (#133+#148 = #109) but that is the best I can see for trade-ups.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

53 minutes ago, adam said:

3 down is HOU, 4 is NYJ, and 5 is NE. I doubt any of them are taking a QB there unless HOU goes Anderson at #2 and one of the top QBs drops. 

There is no scenario that I can see that yields an early to mid second rounder unless a team like SEA wants to move up from #20 and give up #37.

I couldn't find a realistic trade partner that was far enough back to warrant a 2nd rounder but not so far back that the 2nd rounder wasn't in the 50s. WAS or PIT? Maybe, but what are they trading up for?

I really think the Bears are locked in at #9, and the only way they get an earlier pick in the 2nd is by moving up using one of their current ones (#53+#104 = #43), something like that. Using one of their extra 5ths, they could get into the early 4th (#133+#148 = #109) but that is the best I can see for trade-ups.

One idea I had is to package one of our seconds trading down in the first but up in the second. For instance #9 + #61 to NYJ for #13 + #43 (maybe to get Rodgers JSN?) or something similar. Same total number of picks, but you move down a few spots but should still be in position to get a quality OT/CB/Edge, but also move up in the second where you should be able to get a better player at those same positions or even make a trade up easier if someone is falling. 

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

One idea I had is to package one of our seconds trading down in the first but up in the second. For instance #9 + #61 to NYJ for #13 + #43 (maybe to get Rodgers JSN?) or something similar. Same total number of picks, but you move down a few spots but should still be in position to get a quality OT/CB/Edge, but also move up in the second where you should be able to get a better player at those same positions or even make a trade up easier if someone is falling. 

yes, and you might even package two of the low seconds (or the low second and top third) to move to the top part of the second round. But I like your idea of the swap, very creative.

For sure, Poles has some flexibility in a draft that is deep at the areas we need help in. He has shown himself to be a shrewd wheeler dealer. Now we just need to talent evaluations on the OL and DL to be right.

10 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Never move up; only down

There are seventy good players to choose from

Except that Poles obviously prioritizes scheme fit and not all of those players are going to be a fit, which dramatically decreases that list of “seventy good players”.  So if you get to a point where you have a position of need and limited options who fit, maybe you move up. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

He also has been very productive everywhere he has been too. 

I know, it is wild. I was really surprised to see him go to HOU in the first place. Dallas makes a lot of sense. They have a stacked WR room now.

6 hours ago, adam said:

Here are a few guys left, 30 or under:

McGovern - C, 30yrs old
Fleming - RT, 29
Smith, LT, 30
Ngakoue - Edge, 28
Ward - Edge, 29
Ford - IDL, 28
Ioannidis - IDL, 29

Ngakoue is reportedly poor in run defense.  If true, that explains the hesitancy to sign him at least at whatever price he was asking early in FA.  Spotrac has him valued at $14.8M.  Flus know's him and if he really wanted him he'd be here by now like they did with the 2 LBs, or maybe even in place of one of them. 

It seems rather than pay that kind of money they are content to go forward with Walker, Gipson, and DRob, and add a draft pick or two.   Maybe we add a vet after the draft when the price goes way down.  

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Ngakoue is reportedly poor in run defense.  If true, that explains the hesitancy to sign him at least at whatever price he was asking early in FA.  Spotrac has him valued at $14.8M.  Flus know's him and if he really wanted him he'd be here by now like they did with the 2 LBs, or maybe even in place of one of them. 

It seems rather than pay that kind of money they are content to go forward with Walker, Gipson, and DRob, and add a draft pick or two.   Maybe we add a vet after the draft when the price goes way down.  

I think Ngakoue may come here but as a rotational end but only below 10 mil  a year. Another option is Frank Clark on a one year deal but at Poles price. He's waiting for players to come to his value. 

14 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Did anyone hear about Poles signing an edge? A guy on Twitter posted ( way to go Poles, 8.5 mil for  .05 sacks).  I never seen the guy post bad information before.

He was referring to the Vikings signing Davenport to a $8.5M deal. One guy thought that Poles could've paid more to get him. The other guy was saying he was crazy to think Poles would pay for a guy with that little production. 

At this point, the Bears still need to address DT, DE, OT, and CB. If they can do that before the draft, that would allow them to go BPA the entire way.

Right now the weak links as starters are RT1 (Borom?), CB2 (Vildor), DT1 (Jones), and DE2 (Gipson/Robinson). Would you agree those are the weakest starting slots? I am assuming Walker is DE1 and Gordon is NB1.

I think QB, WR, TE, and RB on offense are good to go for starters. On defense, LB and S are locked in. That leaves the aforementioned spots. 

If those spots get addressed, what are the next set of weak spots? More OL? DT2, DE1?

24 minutes ago, adam said:

At this point, the Bears still need to address DT, DE, OT, and CB. If they can do that before the draft, that would allow them to go BPA the entire way.

Right now the weak links as starters are RT1 (Borom?), CB2 (Vildor), DT1 (Jones), and DE2 (Gipson/Robinson). Would you agree those are the weakest starting slots? I am assuming Walker is DE1 and Gordon is NB1.

I think QB, WR, TE, and RB on offense are good to go for starters. On defense, LB and S are locked in. That leaves the aforementioned spots. 

If those spots get addressed, what are the next set of weak spots? More OL? DT2, DE1?

I agree. I think Edge, 3T, ORT, and CB are in need of serious upgrades. I would add OC as a concern of mine. The good thing is that those positions are the strength of the 2023 draft. Poles has said he prefers to build this team through the draft vs FA. This is his chance to shine.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

I agree. I think Edge, 3T, ORT, and CB are in need of serious upgrades. I would add OC as a concern of mine. The good thing is that those positions are the strength of the 2023 draft. Poles has said he prefers to build this team through the draft vs FA. This is his chance to shine.

They will be drafted. Realistically the first 4 should starters or big contributors.

Poles roster construction has been almost backwards. Did the secondary last year with Brisker/Gordon, now doing LB Corps, did Claypool and now Moore for WRs, but the trenches? We still need some dudes on both sides of the ball, otherwise the LBs and DBs will be useless.

• adam unpinned this topic