2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm going to start a bogus account on Twitter so I can post fake stuff and get attention.

I post all my fake stuff right here.  Go look at my FA predictions.  

On a different note Mustipher didn't even get tendered an offer.  Poles didn't think it was even worth hanging onto him "just in case" as a backup plan.  

Since Poles took over, this is what he has done to address the trenches with substantial resources (over $5M AAV or a draft pick in the first 3 rounds):

OL:

Nate Davis - 2023 FA ($10M AAV)
No draft pick in the first 3 rounds

DL:

Justin Jones - 2022 FA ($6M AAV)
DeMarcus Walker - 2023 FA ($7M AAV)

He has 4 picks in the top 3 rounds, and it would seem like at least 3 need to go to the OL/DL. Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, adam said:

Since Poles took over, this is what he has done to address the trenches with substantial resources (over $5M AAV or a draft pick in the first 3 rounds):

OL:

DL:

He has 4 picks in the top 3 rounds, and it would seem like at least 3 need to go to the OL/DL. Thoughts?

Thats how I read it too - we are gonna use those picks for OL and DL, whether drafting or trading.

36 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He's going to be on a roster. Doug Kramer is next in line to backup. Don't count him out quite yet.

Never say never. Jason’s all time favorite O-lineman J’Marcus Webb managed to string together a patchwork 8 year career after leaving the Bears in 2013.  In that time he signed with seven teams (one of them twice - Indy).  

1 hour ago, adam said:

OL:

DL:

I scratch my head sometimes with him and some moves.  I expected him to get a starter vet on the Dline and Oline. He has time, but I would've liked to see the draft be used BPA instead of driven by filling position needs.  Same thing happened last year with WR.  Our needs dry up fast.  It is hard to count Nate Davis unless Whitehair moves to C. 

There will be multiple tiers to Free Agency. Poles didnt want to overpay. Hes being disciplined.

Give it time, I am SURE they want to put an OL around Fields so he can take the next step. Hell, Poles is a former OL.

Come August, we will have players at every position, and start to gel as a team. And yes, we will be missing a couple pieces that we will pick up in 2024. But we're gonna be a winning team this year. And 2024 a true SB contender.

From what I've been reading, Brown underperformed last year, allowing a lot of QB pressures. KC fans are celebrating his departure. KC found it easy to part ways with him despite his rep as a Pro Bowl OT. I have mixed emotions about missing out on signing him. As bad as I want to solidify the OL before the draft, it appears we have to wait. Hopefully our 1st rd pick is our new starting ROT.

22 minutes ago, adam said:

Poles knows Brown. He still has quite a bit to spend unless he is saving for extensions for guys like Kmet and Mooney. 

Just interesting that Brown got less than McGlinchey and Taylor. 

One strike was he wasn't accustomed to playing the outside zone scheme the Bears use. Then he only wanted to play LT.   Maybe Taylor Lewan as a short term fix can be a guy.  Keep plucking from Tennesee.  They run the outside zone too, so Lewan is accustomed.  That is one reason Nate Davis fits. 

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

interesting. he didnt break the bank and we still didnt want him, and neither did the Chiefs, they gave Jawaan Taylor $20M a year to replace him.

Seems like Gabriel was right. Bears didn’t even have him on their board as they didn’t see him a fit for their scheme - at least not at LT. Also seems very clear, he wasn’t interested in playing RT. 

Not a popular opinion, but I'm very unimpressed with Poles as a whole this offseason so far. The T.J. Edwards signing I really liked. They got great value in their first signing.  Edmonds I feel was way overpaid. I'm not going to deny ignorance, but to be honest,. Nate Davis was good on a running offense, which is what the Bears already had, but can he pass block? Walker was on a 1 year prove it contract, and had one good year after how many in the league? I know he isn't paid well but PJ Walker as the back up QB? They had a chance for a franchise QB, we traded for the maybe 25 WR in the league and unknown picks. Our RB position just downgraded by a mile, and we have to face him twice a year for a reasonable price compared to Walker that probably won't start, and even if he does wouldn't on most teams. 

I was expecting more, if they really believed in Fields enough to trade out of the one., I thought they would make him prove it. I know it's early but the bad O line is the same. Everyone agreed he needed more blocking  and better receivers to prove it.  They added a low end WR1 if you consider 2's like Higgins and Waddle in the league I'd guess he'd be closer to 32-45 instead of top 16.  RB is worse. Defense is just as horrible and probably still a downgrade over the start of last season with Roquan and Quinn. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

PJ Walker new backup QB? Much closer to Fields than Siemian. 

I'm pretty sure he's replacing Peterman but I could be wrong.  He was terrible in the one Panthers game I watched last year.  In terms of finding a 3rd QB who can execute read-option plays he can do some of that and he has a good enough arm.  Just don't ask him to read a defense.  

37 minutes ago, TravD said:

Not a popular opinion, but I'm very unimpressed with Poles as a whole this offseason so far. The T.J. Edwards signing I really liked. They got great value in their first signing.  Edmonds I feel was way overpaid. I'm not going to deny ignorance, but to be honest,. Nate Davis was good on a running offense, which is what the Bears already had, but can he pass block? Walker was on a 1 year prove it contract, and had one good year after how many in the league? I know he isn't paid well but PJ Walker as the back up QB? They had a chance for a franchise QB, we traded for the maybe 25 WR in the league and unknown picks. Our RB position just downgraded by a mile, and we have to face him twice a year for a reasonable price compared to Walker that probably won't start, and even if he does wouldn't on most teams. 

I was expecting more, if they really believed in Fields enough to trade out of the one., I thought they would make him prove it. I know it's early but the bad O line is the same. Everyone agreed he needed more blocking  and better receivers to prove it.  They added a low end WR1 if you consider 2's like Higgins and Waddle in the league I'd guess he'd be closer to 32-45 instead of top 16.  RB is worse. Defense is just as horrible and probably still a downgrade over the start of last season with Roquan and Quinn. 

its still way early. if the OL (or DL!) looks like this opening day, then youll have a point, but it wont.

• adam unpinned this topic