2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

9 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

So that probably means Jamaal Williams isn't returning to Detroit?  Before this occurred it was reported he and the Lions were 'far apart' in their talks of a new contract.  https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/jamaal-williams-lions-far-apart-in-contract-negotiations

Maybe he goes to the Jets too.

I am worried the Bears are taking 1 step forward but 2 steps back when trying to build around JF.  Monty was at least a strong pass protector 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The Bears probably valued him at 5 mil a year. I think this means they bring back Evans and drafts a RB.

First, I'm glad to see Montgomery get a good deal and get it done early.  A team full of players like him will always be better than the sum of it's parts and I appreciated watching his effort no matter the score or record. 

For sure Poles has seen his options at RB and refused to match what seems like a reasonable deal.  That opens the door to what?   

.... and just like that my son sends me a message that we just agreed to terms with Travis Homer.  

Orlando Brown is going to command at least 25 mil/year.  I'm looking at current teams that have that clout are the Bears, Falcons, Raiders, Patriots, Bengals and Cardinals.  I'm eliminating the Bengals, Patriots and Raiders because they wouldn't have enough left for the rookie pool. 

Screw it, we're getting his ass!  We own this off-season!

28 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If he sits for a long time , he going to play somewhere on a 1 year 20 mil deal.

or 1 year $18 M, and that would give Fields a year to show his stuff, and a year more to develop young players like Leatherwood and whoever we draft lower.

40 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Orlando Brown is going to command at least 25 mil/year.  I'm looking at current teams that have that clout are the Bears, Falcons, Raiders, Patriots, Bengals and Cardinals.  I'm eliminating the Bengals, Patriots and Raiders because they wouldn't have enough left for the rookie pool. 

Screw it, we're getting his ass!  We own this off-season!

He's demanding $25mil/yr but Poles won't pay that (hopefully).   Reports are out there that we have interest.  Of course what agent who wants top dollar wouldn't be spreading that rumor.  Word is that Poles only sees him as a RT which I agree with but I'm also not sure he's a good scheme fit for the running game.  That said pass pro is the priority.    

To help him save face he'd have to get the biggest contract this offseason among the OTs and to be fair, relative to the others he's worth that.  Jawaan Taylor got 4/80 with 40 guaranteed a signing, 60M total guaranteed.  Top that.  If Poles does this deal I'd expect him to leave himself a way out after 3 seasons.  That might cost more money but aside from work ethic concerns (mine since Brown  started out poorly the last two seasons) we have the looming contract extension for Fields after 3 seasons.    It would also sync with the new deal for Braxton Jones.   

I don't see this happening.  Poles has been firm on McGlinchey and othes and I can't see him changing his MO now when he holds the 9th pick in the draft.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears are looking into Eckle(permission to seek a trade)r or Turnsil (rumored to be in trade negotiations with KC today). I'm not saying they will get either, but Poles knows he needs to improve the line and said we need playmakers on the team. The Bears have more draft capital now, and a lot of room to add either player. 

1 hour ago, TravD said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears are looking into Eckle(permission to seek a trade)r or Turnsil (rumored to be in trade negotiations with KC today). I'm not saying they will get either, but Poles knows he needs to improve the line and said we need playmakers on the team. The Bears have more draft capital now, and a lot of room to add either player. 

that's an excellent point. we could trade a second rounder for a player at any time too.

No way a guy that believes in building thru the draft, is going to trade assets. He traded for Claypool because free agency sucked and the draft is not great to get a  # 1. Now he added his number one by trade and got more draft capital. Its not that it wouldn't be worth a # 2 for Tunsel but his cap hit is 35 mil and then a new contract, 24 and up. He's not doing that when he has the  9th pick  in the draft and can get a day one starter.

2 days into free agency and Bears Twitter is stressing because he doesn't have a 3 T and RT. He easily can get both in the draft. Let him do his job( off-season) and then we can go from there. His  first 4  picks will have us a OT, DE, DT and maybe RB now. 

12 minutes ago, adam said:

Dallas is cutting Elliott, wow.

He's old and slow.  Just a shell of what he used to be.  if they keep Pollard as their #1 he'll be that way very quickly.  They are a likely landing spot for Bijan.  

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Not sure why that tweet alerted me, but I think Elon likes trolling everyone.  I have Rapport set to alert and that is all.

Whomever this cat is he’s been putting out some comical clickbait.  This one even has the garden variety jersey alteration (more garden than professional).  

• adam unpinned this topic