2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

It's not Headline material but does help the team get better. Plus Green and  Walker are versatile position players. Remember that on draft day.

Deon  White

Lucas Van Ness

Tuli Tuipulotu

With sub packages basically becoming primary packages, you need players that can move around in a pinch, sometimes without substitutions. So guys like Green and Walker are sneaky good signings as they can play 5T and DE, and maybe even some 3T if needed.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Bears made another signing today. 

Competition for P- Trenton Gill. 

Punter - Ryan Anderson 

Screenshot_20230410_210517_Twitter.jpg

Getting ready for post-draft OTAs and we need another camp leg so we can see who can catch punts.  

I just read an article on bearswire.usatoday on what the writer considers the top 10 options for offensive tackle in this years draft. I swear, I believe any one of the ten listed would be an upgrade for us over the revolving door at ROT we had last year. That being said, I'm not so sure, after looking over this list of players (some will be there when we pick in the 2nd) that our 1st rd pick will be OT (unless it is a late 1st after a trade down). The way I see it, if all of these players are gone before we pick in the 2nd round, there will be a few experienced OTs cut from rosters in the 2nd wave of FA once replaced by the rookies that can be plugged in until next years draft when we'll have 2 1st rd selections.. LOL

10 offensive tackles for the Bears in the 2023 NFL draft

54 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I just read an article on bearswire.usatoday on what the writer considers the top 10 options for offensive tackle in this years draft. I swear, I believe any one of the ten listed would be an upgrade for us over the revolving door at ROT we had last year. That being said, I'm not so sure, after looking over this list of players (some will be there when we pick in the 2nd) that our 1st rd pick will be OT (unless it is a late 1st after a trade down). The way I see it, if all of these players are gone before we pick in the 2nd round, there will be a few experienced OTs cut from rosters in the 2nd wave of FA once replaced by the rookies that can be plugged in until next years draft when we'll have 2 1st rd selections.. LOL

10 offensive tackles for the Bears in the 2023 NFL draft

I don't look at it as they are drafting for RT. I look at it as if Paris Johnson locks down the LT spot for 10 years and plays at a high level, then you shouldn't pass that up.  

22 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I don't look at it as they are drafting for RT. I look at it as if Paris Johnson locks down the LT spot for 10 years and plays at a high level, then you shouldn't pass that up.  

I see your point. I just hope in that possible scenario, Braxton can switch to ROT without a drop in proficiency. We seem to have a history of switching a player on the OL to an alternate position, quite often with negative results.

Lots of sports journalists have prospect ratings. I pay more attention to Dane Brugler, Daniel Jeremiah and Bleacher Report which has a scouting team that includes Brandon Thorn. As far as OTs they have Skoronski as the pro Bowl future player. (OG) Johnson JR is looked at as a above average 10 year starter but never seen anyone say potential all pro. Broderick Jones upside is a potential pro bowler but needs to develop. Wright is look at as a future pro bowler at RT.

Poles OT critical traits are pass protection ability, foot quickness, length and attitude. 

As an early pick its Skoronski  that has to be the prize. As a RT , long time starter with above average skills. Same as PJJ ,with outlier of upside Broderick Jones fits that mold. Skoron short arms is the only trait he's missing. 

Wright fits the traits as a RT of which I think Poles actually wants to draft. 

If he wants the safe pick, its Skoronski and figure it out later. 

If he trades back , I think Wright may be the target, with Broderick Jones as that backup plan.

If he waits to the second round , Matt Bergeron fits the traits with some development. Later is Wanya Morris or Blake Freeland but has to be developed.

Anyone he drafts at 9 has to be a potential all pro. That's why I think he may not draft a OT there.

If Jalen Carter or Tyree Wilson drop, that's our pick. 

If he trades back it's Wright or Skoronski if he drops.

Otherwise its Lucas Van Ness, Myles Murphy, or outlier Nolan Smith. Smith is small almost the exact size as Micah Parsons. He may be to good to pass on.

6 hours ago, Pixote said:

I see your point. I just hope in that possible scenario, Braxton can switch to ROT without a drop in proficiency. We seem to have a history of switching a player on the OL to an alternate position, quite often with negative results.

Poles and Flus don't seem worried about moving olinemen. Jenkins and Borum moved around last year.  This year they are moving Whitehair over to C and Jenkins  moves again to the LG.  I'm not saying put the rookie at LT year one if they don't feel it, but put your best 5 out there.  Keep the pipeline full with talent. 

This all hinges on Jalen Carter.  That could be why Poles is bringing I'm 2nd Rd OT prospects so he has his OT prep ready for all scenarios. 

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Lots of sports journalists have prospect ratings. I pay more attention to Dane Brugler, Daniel Jeremiah and Bleacher Report which has a scouting team that includes Brandon Thorn. As far as OTs they have Skoronski as the pro Bowl future player. (OG) Johnson JR is looked at as a above average 10 year starter but never seen anyone say potential all pro. Broderick Jones upside is a potential pro bowler but needs to develop. Wright is look at as a future pro bowler at RT.

Poles OT critical traits are pass protection ability, foot quickness, length and attitude. 

As an early pick its Skoronski  that has to be the prize. As a RT , long time starter with above average skills. Same as PJJ ,with outlier of upside Broderick Jones fits that mold. Skoron short arms is the only trait he's missing. 

Wright fits the traits as a RT of which I think Poles actually wants to draft. 

If he wants the safe pick, its Skoronski and figure it out later. 

If he trades back , I think Wright may be the target, with Broderick Jones as that backup plan.

If he waits to the second round , Matt Bergeron fits the traits with some development. Later is Wanya Morris or Blake Freeland but has to be developed.

Anyone he drafts at 9 has to be a potential all pro. That's why I think he may not draft a OT there.

If Jalen Carter or Tyree Wilson drop, that's our pick. 

If he trades back it's Wright or Skoronski if he drops.

Otherwise its Lucas Van Ness, Myles Murphy, or outlier Nolan Smith. Smith is small almost the exact size as Micah Parsons. He may be to good to pass on.

How much attention have the Bears showed in Skor? They could be sleeping on him.  I'm worried about his arms but he has proved in the big 10 he can do the job. 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

How much attention have the Bears showed in Skor? They could be sleeping on him.  I'm worried about his arms but he has proved in the big 10 he can do the job. 

I always looked  at other options than Skoronski but the experts call him the best OL in the draft. If Poles drafts him, he will be all pro somewhere, maybe won't be at RT.  I don't doubt he can't play there, it's just about what his ceiling is .

23 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I always looked  at other options than Skoronski but the experts call him the best OL in the draft. If Poles drafts him, he will be all pro somewhere, maybe won't be at RT.  I don't doubt he can't play there, it's just about what his ceiling is .

Where does Jones end up in this scenario?  Still LT? 

The experts say Broderick Jones has upside to be a potential all Pro but has to be developed more to get there. PJJ can start day one but ceiling isn't as high. Anton Harrison is another high ceiling prospect but has to be developed. 

So day one starters would be Skoronski, PJJ, and Wright. Three that need to be developed but may not start day one is Mathew Bergeron, Anton Harrison and Broderick Jones. Sleepers are Blake Freeland and Cody Mauch. 

Knowing the ability of Poles surprising us , it could be someone else.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

The experts say Broderick Jones has upside to be a potential all Pro but has to be developed more to get there. PJJ can start day one but ceiling isn't as high. Anton Harrison is another high ceiling prospect but has to be developed. 

So day one starters would be Skoronski, PJJ, and Wright. Three that need to be developed but may not start day one is Mathew Bergeron, Anton Harrison and Broderick Jones. Sleepers are Blake Freeland and Cody Mauch. 

Knowing the ability of Poles surprising us , it could be someone else.

I still feel like PJJ is the clear pick. I don’t see a box he doesn’t check for them:

- Familiarity with Fields

- Character

- LT/RT flexibility

- Long arms (like Braxton)

- Athletic mover

- Aggressive finisher 

12 hours ago, dawhizz said:

I still feel like PJJ is the clear pick. I don’t see a box he doesn’t check for them:

- Character

- LT/RT flexibility

- Athletic mover

- Aggressive finisher 

Poles has more input than I have. I wouldn't have a problem with  any of the top 5 OTs. OR if he took a DL first.  OR if he drafted a OL in the second round.

13 hours ago, dawhizz said:

- Character

- LT/RT flexibility

- Athletic mover

- Aggressive finisher 

He fits the prototype.  While I like Skoronski as the, immediate, best prospect, PJJ may be the better fit, as he can fill the LT spot if Braxton Jones falters.  Another thing Paris has going for him, is that he's a true junior.  The thinking is, is that he has tremendous upside for any team that drafts him.  I won't be disappointed if he's the pick.

6 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

He fits the prototype.  While I like Skoronski as the, immediate, best prospect, PJJ may be the better fit, as he can fill the LT spot if Braxton Jones falters.  Another thing Paris has going for him, is that he's a true junior.  The thinking is, is that he has tremendous upside for any team that drafts him.  I won't be disappointed if he's the pick.

I have a feeling he is gone before the Bears pick. Pitt wants to move up for OT according to rumors. I think it would be a mistake to pass on him.  I'd be fine with the 3 other OTs ( B Jone, P Skor, or  D Wright) if a great trade is made.

Dante Pettis is back.  He apparently didn't get any offers elsewhere and chose, wisely IMO, to cast his net with the Bears for training camp.  He knows the offense and has as good a chance as anywhere else to showcase himself in the preseason for other teams.   Worst case for us is he sticks due to injuries.    

5 minutes ago, lemonej said:

Steelers finalizing trade with Rams for Allen Robinson

Wow.  I can’t see any reason to give up draft capital for a guy who will be cut and has little market.    I know it’s not a one for one swap but giving up on Claypool and then trading for ARob is not a good look.  Indicates to me that either they don’t think an early rd WR can have the same impact or they are not using an early pick on a WR.  

• adam unpinned this topic