2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

From one mediocre qb to another - but this one I guess knows the system going back to his Pats days. 

Reportedly Bears were in heavy talks with Raiders for the 1st pick before we decided to go with the Panthers' offer.  Left 'em at the altar and they got JimmyG on the rebound.  

Seeing some of the hyped contracts for OTs, we might be best to use our #9 on a solid OT Rookie. I would love to get some veteran insurance but from what I have seen, they are being overpaid. Now maybe for O. Brown, I'd pay 20+ but he would be the only one worth it, IMO.

4 minutes ago, adam said:

One of the better Guards in the league. Had some injury issues in previous years, but started all 17 in 2022.

Thanks for the info. I will be interested what type of money is involved if he is signed. His past injury issues are a red flag.

1 minute ago, Pixote said:

Seeing some of the hyped contracts for OTs, we might be best to use our #9 on a solid OT Rookie. I would love to get some veteran insurance but from what I have seen, they are being overpaid. Now maybe for O. Brown, I'd pay 20+ but he would be the only one worth it, IMO.

That is where a premium top 10 draft pick needs to be spent.  No LBs or RBs

There may be something in Rodgers' contract that I dont understand, but when i look at the salary cap tracking sites, they all show $99 Million of dead cap if they cut or trade Rodgers. Maybe they are gonna "pull a Bears" this year and suck for the extra draft capital and to end the Rodgers headache once and for all, but it's gonna be hard to put a team on the field with $99 Million in dead cap money.

If anyone knows some fancy option/bonus structure to his deal that makes that not so, Im all ears. But if this is true, the era of Green Bay being awesome because they have a HOF QB is over. It's been a long few decades. GB fans wont know how to deal with it, and we can recapture the all time series lead.

Lets go!

13 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

There may be something in Rodgers' contract that I dont understand, but when i look at the salary cap tracking sites, they all show $99 Million of dead cap if they cut or trade Rodgers. Maybe they are gonna "pull a Bears" this year and suck for the extra draft capital and to end the Rodgers headache once and for all, but it's gonna be hard to put a team on the field with $99 Million in dead cap money.

If anyone knows some fancy option/bonus structure to his deal that makes that not so, Im all ears. But if this is true, the era of Green Bay being awesome because they have a HOF QB is over. It's been a long few decades. GB fans wont know how to deal with it, and we can recapture the all time series lead.

Lets go!

So if I select pre-June 1 trade, his dead money for this season drops to $40M which is the difference between the $99M and the amount of guaranteed money remaining on his deal $59M. So it looks like GB has to pay out everything that is NOT guaranteed while NY would be responsible only for the remaining guaranteed money of $59M over the next 4 years. 

3 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't know that guy, but it's very plausible at this point given that the right tackles are signed elsewhere.

Seeing as the first replies to that tweet are "that's fake" and "you got me" I'd say it's all BS.  

I'm watching NFL Network Live FA Coverage and nothing has been said about O Brown to Bears. Speculation he will be moved, but no solid news so far as to who would sign him. From what I have read, he underperformed in KC and they were not happy with him.

27 minutes ago, adam said:

So if I select pre-June 1 trade, his dead money for this season drops to $40M which is the difference between the $99M and the amount of guaranteed money remaining on his deal $59M. So it looks like GB has to pay out everything that is NOT guaranteed while NY would be responsible only for the remaining guaranteed money of $59M over the next 4 years. 

if thats so, there is some new trick being used. and Im open to the idea that is true. But in general, the guaranteed money stays with the team that signed that deal, and the salary moves to the new team.

I do see Rogers has some $30 Million/year options, but I dont know who has the option, or how that affects the cap numbers.

But in every other deal Ive ever seen, when you trade a player, the team letting the player go has to pay all the guaranteed money that was being amortized along the life of the deal, suddenly and at once in the year he is traded (or across two years if a Post June 1st move, which this obviously isnt.

Interested to read the descriptions of what actually happened, and how it affects other contracts and trades in the future.

• adam unpinned this topic