2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Tremaine Edmonds LB

Screenshot_20230313_150118_Twitter.jpg

If the 4yr $72M is accurate that is DE money.  I can't imagine Poles spending so big on LBs.  Back in the draft when it was him or Roquan I always figured he'd be better around the LOS.  No clue if they intend on doing some of that but I can say for sure that I'm confused.  

9 minutes ago, adam said:

I am thinking Jenkins out to RT. 

Never.  If we don't sign one just plan on drafting one at 9.  Given all the money that we spent so far it seems we walked away from over paying a RT and decided to fix other needs.  I'm sure there will be a 2nd or maybe even 3rd tier RT on a 1yr deal brought in.  Could even be a cheap 1yr for Reiff but rumor was that we were talking with Andre Dillard.  

Looks like 7 more "holes" left to fill. I am assuming 4 will be filled in the draft in the top 65. So 2-3 more mid/high FAs left to sign:

OL x2 - Davis, 
RB x1 -
TE x1 -

DT x2 -
DE x1
LB x2 - Edmunds, Edwards
CB x1 -

At this point top needs:

RT, DT, DE, DT, DE

Secondary needs:

C (they could stick with Patrick even if I don't want them to), RB, and CB 

We have 10 draft picks with 5 in the top 103 where you are most likely to find players who can contribute early in their career.   

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

If the 4yr $72M is accurate that is DE money.  I can't imagine Poles spending so big on LBs.  Back in the draft when it was him or Roquan I always figured he'd be better around the LOS.  No clue if they intend on doing some of that but I can say for sure that I'm confused.  

He can get two starters at DE easily in this draft.

28 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Anyone have any idea / seen where the Bears stand from a cap perspective at this point?  I am predicting we see one more big money signing (i.e. at our > Edmunds move). I'm assuming it will be a Dlinemen or Brown Jr. 

They said Edmunds contract was front loaded. Davis at $10M a year, Edwards cap hit is $5M this year, so that is probably $35M total (estimated). 

OTC shows $71M before Davis and Edmunds, figure they are $30M, leaving $41M left or $36M in effective cap. I think Poles will leave about $10-15M for late free agency, so they still have $15-20M left considering the rookie pool too.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

They apparently offered Roquan $17M / yr to stay and he wanted $20+M. This is $18M/yr across 4 years.

With TJ and Sanborn, this makes LBs a strength.

Im not sure that the order positions get filled is commensurate with the need or value of the positions. It could be that we have several DL rated evenly, and we are waiting for the first one (or several ) to go so the price comes down. Sort of the Free Agency version of trading down in the draft.

I am sure they haven't taken their eyes off of the DL, and I look forward to see who we sign there. This team is taking shape!

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Whitehair has to be a cut designated post Jun 1st.   That's a wash with the Davis deal (-10/+10).  

The option could be to move Whitehair to OC. Slide Jenkins to LG. The answer for RT right now Alex Leatherwood, Keller Diesch or slide Jenkins out to RT.

Sign a vet or draft one. Early would be Skoronski, Johnson or Broderick Jones. Later would be Matt Bergeron or Duncan or Freeland.

Poles is trying not to pay stupid money for a vet. McGaryw, Wynn, Wylie, Trey Pipkins, Brandon Shell. All starters last year.

My gut feeling:

Brandon Jones-- Jenkins--Patrick--Davis-- Rookie. 

30 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The option could be to move Whitehair to OC. Slide Jenkins to LG. The answer for RT right now Alex Leatherwood, Keller Diesch or slide Jenkins out to RT.

Sign a vet or draft one. Early would be Skoronski, Johnson or Broderick Jones. Later would be Matt Bergeron or Duncan or Freeland.

Poles is trying not to pay stupid money for a vet. McGaryw, Wynn, Wylie, Trey Pipkins, Brandon Shell. All starters last year.

My gut feeling:

Brandon Jones-- Jenkins--Patrick--Davis-- Rookie. 

I feel the only OT that would fit Poles  would be Paris Johnson.  Johnson and Dawand Jones are the only two with 36" long arms, but Johnson is much more mobile and extremely smart .  I can see the Bears taking PJ at 9 if a bluechip DLineman doesn't fall.

1 minute ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I feel the only OT that would fit Poles  would be Paris Johnson.  Johnson and Dawand Jones are the only two with 36" long arms, but Johnson is much more mobile and extremely smart .  I can see the Bears taking PJ at 9 if a bluechip DLineman doesn't fall.

I think Broderick Jones is the fit. Very athletic.34.75 length arms with huge hands, 10" 5/8. Strong base. They could move back and still get Jones.

• adam unpinned this topic