Training Camp Begins

AZ54

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Now it starts, we have to get away from ( this was a 3 win team) and judge them with what we see. The key is Justin , enjoy the ride.

Very true, just an unbiased assessment without being too subjective either from the 3 win, 10 straight loss season, or drinking the koolaid. 

Very eager to see this part of the offseason as opposed to the speculative part of the offseason. Let's see what we got. I can't believe how many so called Bears' fans are so negative about Justin Fields. He is being called everything from a bust to a RB.

3 hours ago, lemonej said:

Very eager to see this part of the offseason as opposed to the speculative part of the offseason. Let's see what we got. I can't believe how many so called Bears' fans are so negative about Justin Fields. He is being called everything from a bust to a RB.

They can say what they want.  He throws and runs better than Jackson and Hurts, who are deemed superstars.  All Justin needs to do is execute better.

Fields did enough at Ohio State for us to laugh at anyone calling him a running back. He is definitely a QB.

A lot of NFL QBs never get over the hump to greatness. They are still QBs though. Fields is on the threshold or trying to break through that ceiling. That's a fine place for him to be. I wouldn't bet against him ascending.

At the same time, as we've all said a million times, he didn't have protection or anyone to throw to last year. There is every reason to believe that even 2022 Justin Fields would have looked a lot better with this current roster. And he is better than the guy that started in 2022.

But of course he has to do it on the field before it counts. That's fair. But to say he is already a bust (looking at you Colin Cowherd, ya hack) is just stupid.

I can't say that he will become a top 5 QB in the league. No one can until it happens. But if I had the choice to betting that Fields will become that, or taking a QB in this past draft to roll with, it's an easy choice to go with Justin.

If by some chance Fields is no good, we can look for a QB next year. But we would be fools to trade or cut him now (or back in March) as he is just on the cusp of breaking through.

But national media narratives are all about what has already happened. So we are a 3-14 team that lost 10 in a row to them. They vote Eberflus the worst coach in the league. They say Fields isnt a good QB. All they can do is regurgitate what they saw last year on the scoreboard and stats. They dont even interpret those stats, or try to figure out why they were like that. They dont know anything really.

And, should Fields rock the league this year, the national media will do a Cinderella story that simultaneously sounds like a Hollywood movie (which brings eyeballs and $), and justifies their current narrative as having been the true story.

Theyre fools for clicks and eyeballs. Justin's gonna be great.

Yeah, it's time to put last year away. This is a very new roster with lots of new faces. They will make their own mark, and be judged by their performance going forward.

Baby Bears! (who will soon grow to be ferocious!)

It’s just day one and it’s just a report from the Bears website but regardless it’s the first time in years where the offense and QB got praise for efficiency out of the gate.   Nice pass to Moore for the TD.  He makes acrobatic catches look easy.   

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/quick-hits-justin-fields-receivers-shine-in-first-practice-training-camp

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

It’s just day one and it’s just a report from the Bears website but regardless it’s the first time in years where the offense and QB got praise for efficiency out of the gate.   Nice pass to Moore for the TD.  He makes acrobatic catches look easy.   

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/quick-hits-justin-fields-receivers-shine-in-first-practice-training-camp

If the offense looks good, "Super Bowl Bound baby!!!!", if the offense looks bad, "The Defense really stepped up today, and it's early, defenses always have the edge early in the offseason".

Lots of fans and media were at practice today.  Still just drill work, 1v1, and 7vs7.   Again the offense looked in sync for the most part, defense had some good plays too.  We'll get some sports talk about the first impressions later today. 

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bears-2023-training-camp-news-notes-highlights-roundup-day-2/ 

Swift chimed in with a couple interesting tidbits.  First Leatherwood is lining up with 2 team at RG.   2nd team LT is Borom and RT is Kellen Diesch.  I watched him at ASU and in the arrival photos it looked like Diesch has bulked up.  He has the length and decent movement skills Poles desires at OT.  If Diesch is doing well I expect he and Borom will rotate sides and maybe he could challenge Borom for that final spot as backup OT.  Conversely Borom appeared to slim down from the 330lbs or whatever Nagy had him at, so he's not going away without a fight.  We know what Borom can do so if Diesch beats him out that's an upgrade.    

Today Smith is in with the 1's at CB opposite Jaylon.  It's not surprising to see them try him out at these two positions but it is surprising to see him earn time with the 1's.  When Stevenson got a break I expected Vildor to step in, or one of the other CBs from last year who got playing time at the end of the season, at least this early in camp.  He must have made a strong impression in OTAs and minicamp.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I forgot to add that yesterday Terrell Smith was already getting snaps at FS.  That's something we talked about after the draft.   

Curious how Josh Blackwell plays into the equation.  I’m assuming since he hasn’t been mentioned much this camp (so far) he’s not a factor 🤷🏻‍♂️.  But there’s no doubt his contributions in ST last year and in limited play at the end of the season should count for something.  Having once been a fan of Vildor’s I’d be ok if he’s shuffled out by either (or both) of these two.  

If we sit tight at Edge it will be partly because Terrell Lewis is showing up better than expected.  At various times in the last couple days Walker, Greene, and Lewis have gotten in the backfield early.  In this play going against a rookie RT who it appears overstepped too early in his drop is not necessarily a great win.  So far reports on DomRob and Gipson have been quiet.  

From all accounts, Fields to Moore is locked in. Also seeing a lot of Velus posts, which is good to see. If he steps up, the Bears would have a really solid top 5 (Moore, Mooney, Claypool, Velus, Scott). I have seen a lot of Tonyan as well. So a very nice receiving corps for Fields.

On defense, some surprise names like Terrell Lewis and D'Anthony Jones have been making plays. Buddy Johnson, the new LB, replacing Weatherford, seems to be an upgrade there too. 

So if the Bears can add at least one Edge vet, then let Gipson and Robinson rotate in behind the new acquisition and Walker, and I that unit will at least be serviceable.