Yannick Ngakoue

jason

I'm reading this to mean that some other trade option didnt materialize. Which makes sense. Anyone worth trading for, is probably not worth the price right now.

It looks like we got a decent price, for a one year fill-in. He will be good in situational pass rushing. He will probably be, as a missing piece, worth a couple of wins for us this season. He will give the coverage guys the opportunity to show what theyve got and build chemistry.

And I agree with what Mongo says right above me too.

Funny, I was just reading the article below when I saw the next article about the Ngokue signing. Interesting to see not only he’s the top DE FA (according to the source) he’s one of 5 in the top 20 overall FAs.  Explains more why Poles was able to wait it out. 

And it looks like a pattern has been set with Poles signing FAs of need late in the off-season with Rieff and Schofield last year to address the oline and Yannick today . Or so according to Shiftys prediction some weeks ago.  

IMG_5262.jpeg

We are in nickel defense 70% of the time. I suspect he gets at least 50% of the snaps. Greg Gabriel talked about him and stated he's not terrible against the run. The perception he is comes the the great PFF website rating. He's not a team leader but he's not a cancer either. It will take awhile for him to become a hits player but  he does make opposing OCs  worry about him. Adds to the overall strength of the team in the DBs and ability of Wright and Edmunds to play pass defense. From videos, he seems to play the LDE spot most of the time, same as Walker.

12 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Ngakoue is a one dimensional player, but what he does, he does as good as anyone.  He's rumored to be a locker room dick, but not a cancer.  For one year, at this price, I'll take him...

I don't know what to believe, but Gabriel still has NFL connections, and if he says this guy acts like a pro, then I have to take his word for it.

One thing I was concerned with is the culture of the team and a young defense.   We’ve seen over the first week that we have leaders in Walker and Justin Jones.  In the middle you have Edmunds and Edwards.   DBs are taking off with Brisker and Gordon but still anchored by BoJack.  We have enough that nobody is looking at Ngakoue as a role model.  

Watching a few tapes of YN rushing the QB I couldn't help but notice he gives max effort to strip the QB while tackling him. Love it!

Also like the upgrade of our TE room by signing ML.  Great blocker, knows our system. 

Poles is doing an awesome job.

28 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Eberflus also mentioned today that Ngakoue will be an every down DE.  His signing has to increase the Bears odds of being a contender since that was the critics main grievance.  

The D-Line is still probably the weakest unit on the team, but it shouldn't be the worst in the NFL, especially if Dexter is impactful. For the other units, you can go through each one, and most are top 15 units at worst.

So say D-Line is bottom 5. LB Corps has to be top 5 with Edmunds, Edwards, Sanborn. Secondary is probably top 15 (may be higher if Gordon really improves). So the defense should be no worse than top 15-18. 

On offense, O-Line is probably top 20 at worst, as individually, they all graded out in the top 15. WR Corps is top 15 with DJ Moore. TE Corps is top 10. RB Corps is top 15. So it will come down to Fields. If he is top 15, the Bears will be a playoff team.

The top 14 teams make the playoffs and it feels like the NFC is weaker this year. DET is favored in the North and every team in the South had a losing record last year. PHI and SF are probably the two best teams, and DAL and SEA are pesky. So that last WC slot should be up for grabs with NYG. 

21 minutes ago, adam said:

The D-Line is still probably the weakest unit on the team, but it shouldn't be the worst in the NFL, especially if Dexter is impactful. For the other units, you can go through each one, and most are top 15 units at worst.

So say D-Line is bottom 5. LB Corps has to be top 5 with Edmunds, Edwards, Sanborn. Secondary is probably top 15 (may be higher if Gordon really improves). So the defense should be no worse than top 15-18. 

On offense, O-Line is probably top 20 at worst, as individually, they all graded out in the top 15. WR Corps is top 15 with DJ Moore. TE Corps is top 10. RB Corps is top 15. So it will come down to Fields. If he is top 15, the Bears will be a playoff team.

The top 14 teams make the playoffs and it feels like the NFC is weaker this year. DET is favored in the North and every team in the South had a losing record last year. PHI and SF are probably the two best teams, and DAL and SEA are pesky. So that last WC slot should be up for grabs with NYG. 

I think that is a modest starting point to gauge were they rank to start.  A GB win will do wonders to their confidence.  We are inching closer to kickoff.  

Lots of ? on defense but I would say it's definitely upgraded by way of talent.  Now they need to go out and show what they are capable of. If they can stop the run, the pressure will on the offense to be able to pass. The middle of the field should be taken away with Gordon coming into his own and Edmunds locking down. They now have to worry about YN , it should make the middle venerable to the big guys and their power.

We probably have a top 3 LB group. Maybe even #1.

Billings and Dexter should be really good in the middle. It isnt so important that Ngakoue get sacks, he just needs to eliminate plays where the QB has 5 seconds of unmolested time. Given a shorter passing clock, the coverage should show what they can do, and I think they are a top 10 unit, especially with Edmunds roving the deep middle.

Give 'em time to grow into NFL players, and add a few more names in next years draft and this is a very solid roster for the foreseeable future.

We should see flashes of it this year. If they grow by December, who knows who they'll be, but before that, we will see spurts and mistakes - just like Kyler Gordon during the first half of last years' season.

There is a lot to be optimistic about.

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Another point of good news, Rod Marinelli personally vouched for Ngakoue.

If true, that's good enough for me.  Yet that makes me even more curious why we wouldn't give him a multiyear deal considering all the cap space we had.  Was his asking price simply that high?  

20 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

If true, that's good enough for me.  Yet that makes me even more curious why we wouldn't give him a multiyear deal considering all the cap space we had.  Was his asking price simply that high?  

It's definitely true.  Flus and Rod are best buds.  I think Flus also mentioned Gus Bradley as reference.  I have no clue why nobody wants to lock a perennial 9 sack guy down.  Might be us at mid season...

I'm surprised at how small he is.  This is not Poles type of edge player at 6'2",  32 1/2" arms,  and just 246lbs.     Obviously he has sack production but that really explains some of the run defense issues and his inconsistencies in the pass rush where he only has an 11% win rate. Also likely explains the Bears desire to stay away from a multiyear deal.  Players who have to rely on quickness in the trenches struggle as they get older.  All other DEs on our team are at least 6'4"  260lbs with the exception of DomRob who is 6'5"  253lbs with 33 1/4" arms.  

Eberflus can say he's an every down player and to a some extent that might be true over the course of a game but everyone knows that isn't what he was brought here to do.  They may also want to say that to justify the money and his fit in the locker room.  I'll be curious to see how he's used.  At least this one gap scheme fits his quickness skillset well.  On a run down he needs to get upfield to set the edge... but then has to hold the containment.   Can he hold it and squeeze the play inside well enough?