Teven Jenkins will miss time with stained calves

BearFan PHX

I guess the reports are that he strained both of his calves, which I've never heard of, but they are saying 4 to 6 weeks recovery, which means he could miss 3 or 4 weeks of regular season.

The question will be who replaces him. There's Leatherwood or Carter on the depth chart, recent free agent signing Logan Steinberg. Eislen, Patrick and Borom too.

And the Bears could claim someone off of waivers during the cuts too.

But there is another option too. They did it last year. Whitehair to LG and Patrick, Kramer, Eislen or a waiver claim at Center. I wouldn't be shocked if this is the way it goes.

I think the main decision makers on this will be Carter and Kramer - whichever is better will determine where Whitehair plays for the first few weeks.

37 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I guess the reports are that he strained both of his calves, which I've never heard of, but they are saying 4 to 6 weeks recovery, which means he could miss 3 or 4 weeks of regular season.

The question will be who replaces him. There's Leatherwood or Carter on the depth chart, recent free agent signing Logan Steinberg. Eislen, Patrick and Borom too.

But there is another option too. They did it last year. Whitehair to LG and Patrick, Kramer, Eislen or a waiver claim at Center. I wouldn't be shocked if this is the way it goes.

I think the main decision makers on this will be Carter and Kramer - whichever is better will determine where Whitehair plays for the first few weeks.

I have heard Whitehairs snapping hand is injured and he is shifting over.  These injuries are starting to pile on. 

2 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I have heard Whitehairs snapping hand is injured and he is shifting over.  These injuries are starting to pile on. 

possibly why they didnt play Fields or the starters in the game.

I did see a tweet about five minutes after I wrote this that Whitehair is at LG and Patrick is in at Center today.

I hate the deja vu of it. We need a better center. We will probably draft C and G next year along with DE.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Carter or Lucas are the only two options. Kramer hasn’t been good enough and Leatherwood is below Carter in depth chart. 

I also don’t see them moving from Whitehair given shift they made, but I also don’t think Whitehair is with Bears in 2 years so I suppose I could see it. 

Carter should get first chance. 

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

possibly why they didnt play Fields or the starters in the game.

I did see a tweet about five minutes after I wrote this that Whitehair is at LG and Patrick is in at Center today.

I hate the deja vu of it. We need a better center. We will probably draft C and G next year along with DE.

They will address center next year (my guess). 

They are going to play their best 5 OL. I suspect they think that is Whitehair to LG and Patrick at OC. (if healthy) Patrick didnt play well last year but his history was he played well at OC in the previous two yrs in GB. If Whitehair has a hand injury (OC) this makes sense. We are having injuries but they are non long term.(feel lucky) no one is out for the year. I suspect if Whitehair is ready for game 1, Carter will take over the LG spot. Jenkins is great when he plays but always has something going on with his body. I think when you have back issues , it shows up in weaknesses in other areas because of the compensation for protecting the back. I think they may just put Carter in and let him win the spot instead of the oft injured Jenkins in the future. Is it better to keep putting in Jenkins or to go with potential with Cater? Remember we picked up Logan Stenberg. Not sure if he figures in the mix but he has starter experience. As much as this isnt idea, we do show depth this year with players getting better in development. 

Been seeing talk of people wanting the Bears to sign current FA OG Dalton Risner.  Previously a 4 year starter with Denver.  And one year teammate with Whitehair while both at Kansas State.  That season Risner played Center and Whitehair at Tackle.   To sign a a player like Risner this late would seem like a desperation move IMHO.  

https://x.com/maxmarkhamnfl/status/1693508289928319055?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

48 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

The most important ability is availability. 

Peace

For some reason most of the angst goes to Tev but we have quite a few players who struggle to stay available:    Brisker, Jackson, Patrick, Sanborn, Claypool, Gordon, Jaylon Johnson.  Among the new players Edmunds and Davis.   

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

For some reason most of the angst goes to Tev but we have quite a few players who struggle to stay available:    Brisker, Jackson, Patrick, Sanborn, Claypool, Gordon, Jaylon Johnson.  Among the new players Edmunds and Davis.   

I've given my fair share of crap to Claypool and Jackson.  Jaylon Johnson was drafted defective.  It just seems like one thing after another with Jenkins.

It remains a question but we still have time to figure it out. Borom and Carter has played well in reserve. Are they as good as the starters , no. Patrick had a bad year last year but had a couple of good seasons before that. Throw his worst season and best season away and he is an average starter in the league. We still have two weeks to get healthy. Dont know of severity of Wrights injury , we just have to wait and see. 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

It remains a question but we still have time to figure it out. Borom and Carter has played well in reserve. Are they as good as the starters , no. Patrick had a bad year last year but had a couple of good seasons before that. Throw his worst season and best season away and he is an average starter in the league. We still have two weeks to get healthy. Dont know of severity of Wrights injury , we just have to wait and see. 

The rumor was that Wright stayed in for 2 more plays after he injured his ankle.  I'd say it wasn't that bad but these are big tough men and sometimes they stayed in with a severe injury.  I'm staying optimistic he'll be ready in Wk 1 with some tape on that ankle.  

On 8/21/2023 at 6:13 PM, BearFan PHX said:

Ever since you posted this, I've been perplexed and simply can't shake it.  Not only have I never heard such a thing, I can't fathom how it could even occur.  Add in that's it's a strain that lasts 4 to 6 weeks.  And he finished practice!  When have we ever seen Jenkins, nut up and finish practice dinged up?  Here I go getting these crazy conspiracies in my head again.  This dude drives me nuts.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

He interviewed after the game and was fine. I think he most have did it working out, to do both calves. Maybe his body was still fatigued from playing and the next day, did it lifting.

If he did it lifting, it would have to be some type of accident.  I can't a player maxing out and placing themselves at risk during a recovery workout.

I did see Flus's presser from yesterday.  In it, he stated that Jenkins is week to week.  Hopefully, next Wednesday he'll say day to day.  He had no elaboration on how the injury occurred, but it wasn't during practice...

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Ever since you posted this, I've been perplexed and simply can't shake it.  Not only have I never heard such a thing, I can't fathom how it could even occur.  Add in that's it's a strain that lasts 4 to 6 weeks.  And he finished practice!  When have we ever seen Jenkins, nut up and finish practice dinged up?  Here I go getting these crazy conspiracies in my head again.  This dude drives me nuts.

Yeah, he just seems bit by the injury bug. You gotta be looking to replace him next year.

11 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Yeah, he just seems bit by the injury bug. You gotta be looking to replace him next year.

Too early to call for that in my opinion.  He is just now getting into his prime at G.  He might be a top 5 player at his position IF he can stay healthy during the season. He is one reason 2 yard pass plays turn to 50 yd TDs.  They need to keep investing in the draft for sure, but right now they need a long term Center solution and a huge investment on the DE.  Grab a mid-round G and OT.