Fields-O-Meter

adam

1 hour ago, adam said:

the Bears added Moore, the result is net zero because defenses have improved on how they defend Fields. If he can't adapt from here, he will never be a starter in this league. He just can't beat zone.

The answer on Fields is much simpler than what the defense is doing.  He can't see in milliseconds.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sunday, Fields will make his 28th career start. No QB in NFL history would have more starts and fewer wins than him. Right now he is tied with Blaine Gabbert for the worst start at 5-22-0 (.185), a loss on Sunday would put Fields at the bottom 5-23-0 (.179), no QB in NFL history would be worse.

Interestingly, Davis Mills was 5-20-1 at 26 starts, but is no longer starting.

If Fields gets a win, he would then move into a group with one other QB:

Mike Glennon 6-25 in 31 starts (.193)

There is only one QB with 7 wins with so few starts:

Randy Wright 7-25 in 32 starts (.219)

One QB with 8 wins:

Dennis Shaw 8-27-2 in 37 starts (.243)

Two QBs with 9 wins:

Joe Pisarcik 9-21 in 30 starts (.300)

Steve Pelluer 9-20-1 in 30 starts (.317)

and one QB with 10 wins:
JP Losman 10-23 in 33 starts (.303)  - Fields would have to win his next 5 games just to tie Losman as the 6th worst QB Winning% of all time.

1 hour ago, adam said:

On Sunday, Fields will make his 28th career start. No QB in NFL history would have more starts and fewer wins than him. Right now he is tied with Blaine Gabbert for the worst start at 5-22-0 (.185), a loss on Sunday would put Fields at the bottom 5-23-0 (.179), no QB in NFL history would be worse.

Meh...stats are what you make them.  I think I saw somewhere else where Justin and Josh Allen were comparable at the same points in their careers, until this year.  Even then, besides the number of starts over their respective careers (Allen 79 to Fields 29) there isn't a HUGE disparity between the two...well except maybe the sack totals.  https://www.statspros.com/josh-allen-vs-justin-fields-stats/

At any rate, I've seen a few X-weets out there that mention our team has only had one winning season since Lovie was fired in 2010 and that was after he compiled a 10-6 record that year.  Surely at some point our team is destined to have a winning record again?  What's to say Justin couldn't turn things around? 

2 hours ago, adam said:

Interestingly, Davis Mills was 5-20-1 at 26 starts, but is no longer starting.

If Fields gets a win, he would then move into a group with one other QB:

Mike Glennon 6-25 in 31 starts (.193)

There is only one QB with 7 wins with so few starts:

Randy Wright 7-25 in 32 starts (.219)

One QB with 8 wins:

Dennis Shaw 8-27-2 in 37 starts (.243)

Two QBs with 9 wins:

Joe Pisarcik 9-21 in 30 starts (.300)

Steve Pelluer 9-20-1 in 30 starts (.317)

and one QB with 10 wins:
JP Losman 10-23 in 33 starts (.303)  - Fields would have to win his next 5 games just to tie Losman as the 6th worst QB Winning% of all time.

we can always count on you for the awesome stats adam, thanks once again. And damn that is brutal.

25 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meh...stats are what you make them.  I think I saw somewhere else where Justin and Josh Allen were comparable at the same points in their careers, until this year.  Even then, besides the number of starts over their respective careers (Allen 79 to Fields 29) there isn't a HUGE disparity between the two...well except maybe the sack totals.  https://www.statspros.com/josh-allen-vs-justin-fields-stats/

At any rate, I've seen a few X-weets out there that mention our team has only had one winning season since Lovie was fired in 2010 and that was after he compiled a 10-6 record that year.  Surely at some point our team is destined to have a winning record again?  What's to say Justin couldn't turn things around? 

Yeah, it just shows how bad this team really is, historically bad. The numbers don't lie. Allen was close to Fields up until his 3rd year, that's when he broke out. Fields has not (yet). Hopefully he will soon.

23 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

we can always count on you for the awesome stats adam, thanks once again. And damn that is brutal.

I was comparing where Fields was at in his career compared to other QBs, he is a perfect match for Blaine Gabbert even statistically, but then I saw the records happen to be the same right now and they were tied for the worst and if Fields loses again, he will own the crown.

I'm going to cut Justin some slack for a few games.  Let's get the OL mostly back in week five.  Hopefully, the DB's get back as well.  Justin fired the flare by admitting he's a little overwhelmed.  Hopefully his his teammates take pieces of his Superman Cape and let him know it's not just him and get after it.

41 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm going to cut Justin some slack for a few games.  Let's get the OL mostly back in week five.  Hopefully, the DB's get back as well.  Justin fired the flare by admitting he's a little overwhelmed.  Hopefully his his teammates take pieces of his Superman Cape and let him know it's not just him and get after it.

I remember hearing how difficult this offense is to learn for WRs.  I am sure it has to be twice as hard on the QB having to know everyone's job.  Seems like NFL coaches push the next phase of their scheme so hard year 2 it literally regresses young QBs.  Let's hope Fields settles into this job because the Bears have huge needs on both lines.

Just watched the post-game press conference.  Fields is rapidly devolving into the blame game for everyone but himself.   He's lost...mentally and does not in anyway look like the leader of this offense.  None of that is good and I'm not sure how he turns this around.  Pressure can make a diamond or you get dust.   

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Just watched the post-game press conference.  Fields is rapidly devolving into the blame game for everyone but himself.   He's lost...mentally and does not in anyway look like the leader of this offense.  None of that is good and I'm not sure how he turns this around.  Pressure can make a diamond or you get dust.   

Fields is a clown. At this point, he is just trying to save face. How do you even defend 99 passing yards with a huge chunk coming in garbage time. He needs to be benched, sit, watch, and study. He clearly has no clue what he is doing. He has 676 passing attempts and 104 sacks, so he's had over 800 drop backs. That is a big enough sample size to know he sucks. To confirm, watch the tape. There are receivers open on almost every play, yet he is scared to throw the ball.

His closest comp was Gabbert, now he is worse than him. The last comp is JaMarcus Russell. So he is JaMarcus Gabbert and that is how I will refer to him from now on.

On 9/21/2023 at 8:08 PM, Mongo3451 said:

Still cutting JaMarcus Gabbert some slack? The guy is just not an NFL QB. He looks lost out there. 

His first 3 starts vs his last 3 starts

2021 (Game 4-6) - 39-64, 60.9%, 494 yds, 7.7 Y/A, 2 TD, 2 INT, 7 sacks (ARob, Mooney, Goodwin)

2023 (Game 1-3) - 51-88, 57.9%, 526 yds, 5.9 Y/A, 3 TD, 4 INT, 13 sacks (Moore, Mooney, Claypool)

For sake of fairness I didn't use the CLE game because of the lack of prep.

However, with a better receiving corps and 20+ starts in between, outside of 32 more yards in 3 games, he has a lower Comp%, lower Y/A, 1 more TD, 1 more INTs, and 6 more sacks. This is the same QB, doing the same things, and to me, using the eyeball test, has regressed since his rookie year. 

The idea isnt that Fields cant throw - he has a great arm. When he sees an open receiver (and throws the ball), he is able to get the ball there. He isnt weak armed.

Whats up this yea AND last year is that he doesnt read the field well enough and release the ball on time.

That highlight reel is from a team that only won 3 games. Sure Fields has completed passes, every QB has completed passes, but he has left a TON of plays on the field by not throwing the ball too, and that was true last year and this year.

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

The idea isnt that Fields cant throw - he has a great arm. When he sees an open receiver (and throws the ball), he is able to get the ball there. He isnt weak armed.

Whats up this yea AND last year is that he doesnt read the field well enough and release the ball on time.

That highlight reel is from a team that only won 3 games. Sure Fields has completed passes, every QB has completed passes, but he has left a TON of plays on the field by not throwing the ball too, and that was true last year and this year.

The worst part is the middle of the field, that's his Kryptonite. This chart is sad af. 3-4 throws to the middle of the field. Teams know this and they force him to throw there, but he won't. 

pass-chart_FIE769504_2023-REG-3_1695606814748.jpeg

3 hours ago, adam said:

The worst part is the middle of the field, that's his Kryptonite. This chart is sad af. 3-4 throws to the middle of the field. Teams know this and they force him to throw there, but he won't. 

pass-chart_FIE769504_2023-REG-3_1695606814748.jpeg

Bingo.   Then he goes to the post game press conference and acts like his dog just died.  Fields is not the guy you want to follow into battle when you are outnumbered.   Dealing with the poor performance on the field is one thing but the lack of leadership can drag down the performance of everyone on the team.  He has all the talent but I'd rather have someone with the heart to fight to win.  It's difficult to say what changed with him from last year but as the saying goes:   Hard times don't build character, they reveal it.  

....this quote from his press conference via ESPN’s Courtney Cronin when asked what he’s learned from the last few weeks.

"I’m looking at it like the big picture, life in general to be honest with you. I think this past week has had me kind of look at it like what are the important things in life? Because you know when things are going good, you feel me, not say whatever. I think these past couple of weeks have made me appreciate the little things in life like being able to play this game. Every opportunity I get to go out there and play, I’m going to have fun. I’m going to play my hardest and, you know, just thank god for giving me the ability to play. So, no matter what the scoreboard is, I’m going to keep doing the same mindset and just pushing to keep moving forward."

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

"I’m looking at it like the big picture, life in general to be honest with you. I think this past week has had me kind of look at it like what are the important things in life? Because you know when things are going good, you feel me, not say whatever. I think these past couple of weeks have made me appreciate the little things in life like being able to play this game. Every opportunity I get to go out there and play, I’m going to have fun. I’m going to play my hardest and, you know, just thank god for giving me the ability to play. So, no matter what the scoreboard is, I’m going to keep doing the same mindset and just pushing to keep moving forward."

the philosophical loser. are we there already?

19 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And why is that?  What is different from what we saw last year (below) to what is going on now?  Is it him or the “coaching”?  

I missed this. Did you watch it all the way through? I swear I only saw one pass completed inside the hashes (to ESB I believe), every other pass was sidelines and 2-3 to Kmet up the seam by the numbers. Mostly outside. It was either first read or rollout/scramble.

Looking at these now, they don't look nearly as impressive as they did before.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

the philosophical loser. are we there already?

That is such a depressing comment. So he is now just sitting back and taking it all in and resigned to the fact that this is his peak. It is all downhill from here. I bet he realizes he is done as an NFL starting QB, the writing is on the wall. It is Year 3, Game 4 on Sunday, and you still have the same issues you had 3 years ago. No QB with stats that bad has ever made it to 30 starts, Fields is going into start #29, he may get #30 on a short week for TNF against WAS, but could that be it for him?

23 minutes ago, adam said:

I missed this. Did you watch it all the way through? I swear I only saw one pass completed inside the hashes (to ESB I believe), every other pass was sidelines and 2-3 to Kmet up the seam by the numbers. Mostly outside. It was either first read or rollout/scramble.

Looking at these now, they don't look nearly as impressive as they did before.

It was about 50/50 inside the hashes and some outside.  Actually there's an even better video that shows this but it had NFL copyright issues. This was a shorter version of that same video (about 1/2 as long).  From my count there were at least three to TE's (between the hashes - or in the seam) at least two to ESB, and another to Harry for a TD (although that was on the fringe of "the hashes").  Speaking of...since when did we suddenly hyper-focus and critique a QB on their ability to hit passes in the crease?  Isn't this about him "not being able to see the open receiver" wherever that may be? At the risk of using a punny cliché but it seems the goalposts are getting moved in expectations for Fields' performance.  

The point here is that I see more a coaching problem than QB problem.  These highlights were from last year.  Some of the passes; inside the hashes or outside were designed passes.  Some of the passes were a result of him scrambling and not necessarily designed plays.  Why are the "coaches" not using his talent more and letting him play more freely?  There's been a heck of a lot of talk, here and amongst the experts, that he has adjusted his footwork.  Why?  So he could be a more true pocket passer. Why is that?  Theory has said its so he can survive longer but as we saw last week, Mahomes makes a living out of improvising.  Is Fields the next Mahomes?  No, but I really don't think he's the next Bortles or JeMarcus Russell either.  

"y?  So he could be a more true pocket passer. Why is that?  Theory has said its so he can survive longer but as we saw last week, Mahomes makes a living out of improvising.  Is Fields the next Mahomes?  No, but I really don't think he's the next Bortles or JeMarcus Russell either."

So you take a gunslinger and make him a standing statue with the hope he plays longer?  When he's just a back up in a year what do you say?