Fields-O-Meter

adam

1 minute ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Out of all the QBs that make it, it would be nice to see what the team structure is. From GM, HC, how well the oline and weapons.

for sure. that's the magic sauce all the GMs are chasing. I hope Poles has a bead on it, cuz it's a pretty difficult problem!

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

This would be our hope with drafting a rookie QB.  We need a better C and hate to say it but a LT that doesn't get lose ground on bull rushes.  A bigger WR 2 too.

for sure. Jones is great value for where we drafted him, but hes not a blue chipper. And of course you cant have a team of all blue chippers, so its really hard to know how to put a team on the field that can dominate.

I miss that 85 team. I want that feeling again for the Bears at least once in my life.

But if there is a sure path to it, I definitely dont know what it is.

Oh, and as long as Im making wishes, I want it to last more than one year or Superbowl. I want a Bears era! :)

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Ok so i listened to a few minutes of Warner on Fields today, and here was the quote from Warner

"I dont necessarily think Justin Fields' strength is five guys out [as receivers], quick decisions and throw the football, so that's not playing to his strengths either"

so what are we even talking about? If Warner thinks we can be successful using Justin as a runner, but not a pocket QB, then I would simply offer up how defenses have already adjusted to take that away from him, and he pretty much cant do anything after that. The proof is in the tape. It already happened.

@ 5:04

In fairness Getsys offense doesn’t maximize and scheme him to leverage that strength. I go back to - Fields would be at his best - running 10 times a game - designed runs, read option, etc and have him throw 20-25, and have your backs rushing it another 20-25 times. Lots of motion - physical play - stretch field and almost all play action when you do throw it (big play passes to keep spacing) and just basically be a physical Ravens like attack. Play field position and have strong defense. Protect football. 

Just now, DABEARSDABOMB said:

In fairness Getsys offense doesn’t maximize and scheme him to leverage that strength. I go back to - Fields would be at his best - running 10 times a game - designed runs, read option, etc and have him throw 20-25, and have your backs rushing it another 20-25 times. Lots of motion - physical play - stretch field and almost all play action when you do throw it (big play passes to keep spacing) and just basically be a physical Ravens like attack. Play field position and have strong defense. Protect football. 

Thats about right i think. Thats how winning teams utilize running QBs for sure. I just dont think Fields can do the passing part of it. And if he did, I swear I would be his biggest fan.

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Thats about right i think. Thats how winning teams utilize running QBs for sure. I just dont think Fields can do the passing part of it. And if he did, I swear I would be his biggest fan.

And I should be clear - at this point - I’ll let another team try it, cause I have a top pick and can take a chance and see if someone else can, cause our guy can’t. I wish he could and I truly hope he figures it out. 

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

And I should be clear - at this point - I’ll let another team try it, cause I have a top pick and can take a chance and see if someone else can, cause our guy can’t. I wish he could and I truly hope he figures it out. 

yeah and there is some chance he might too. especially with a better OC.

But as long as the guy we have at QB in 2024 is a winner, it doesnt matter if Fields is too somewhere else. That's the bet you gotta make right now with incomplete information.

By the time you KNOW, it's usually too late, and you get to reset the rookie contract window on one side of the bet. Plus you have those top picks this year. We punted last year to give another year to look at Fields. Now we are here.

Plus, and this shouldnt really matter, but Fields wasnt Poles' pick. It shouldnt matter, but people are human.

Sorry for the long post but it’s been a while since I’ve participated on the board.

Organizationally, the Bears are improving and I’m cautiously optimistic and want to see what Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles can do over the next few years together.  I’m undecided on Flus but leaning towards letting him go.  I do appreciate that his players seem to respect him and demands a play hard culture. We can all agree that this team is improving but at the same time it’s really unacceptable to loose leads in the 4th quarter like the Cleveland , 1st Detroit and the Denver games!

The truth is that our Bears have been run awfully for decades. Pace’s regime overall did a poor job evaluating talent and took too much risk in the draft and all that did was leave the cupboard barren and bad cap position at the end of his tenure. Sure he had a few nice players here and there but his best draft was probably his last where he finally took some OL and got Fields.

Enter Ryan Poles, instead of trading away draft picks he moved back and traded vets to acquire more draft picks.  He overhauled this roster and created financial flexibility fairly quickly.  Knowing that you can’t fix a team in one trade or draft class he has done a solid job being creative with his moves and found some free agent bargains along the way. I love the DJ Moore & Montez Sweat trades! Yet people will knock him for the Claypoo trade but that guy turned out to be a piece of poo and Poles got rid of him for not meeting expectations.  I think we all agree it was a good attempt to address a WR need for the offense but it didn’t work out.

Last year was year 1 of the rebuild. Poles began doing what needed to be done and that was getting out from under performing veteran expensive contracts. Mack was declining and he took advantage of Quinn’s great season and moved on from both.  

Since before Angelo the Bears disproportionally spent more money and draft picks on defense and that created a gross positional and financial imbalance across the roster.  The NFL game has changed over the past 20 years to be a more offensive oriented league and the Bears simply never adjusted to the modern game.  

With that said I really like Ryan Poles philosophy regarding rebuilding with emphasis on the trenches and building through the draft along with key trades and free agents.  While it’s a work in progress we are now seeing better strategic balancing of the roster. 

2022 was a very difficult season to endure as a fan but the few players that made the Bears watchable was Justin Fields and Cole Kmet on offensive Jaylon Johnson Defensively and finally finding a kicker we can count on since Robbie left!

What’s the next step for the Bears as as a franchise?  Everybody and the media seems to think the Bears are at a major crossroads and need to make a decision on QB Justin Fields soon.  The reality is they are ending year two of their rebuild. IMHO, Justin has enough talent and made enough progress through season two as a starter to have his 5th year option picked up. The QB room is finally respectable and we have fans and talking heads wanting to blow it all up for what exactly?  Do I even need to rattle some names on the dreaded list of former QBs?  Here are some that will make you cringe: Jonathan Quinn, Mike Glennon and Drew Hutchinson?  Now don’t you love you some Justin Fields?  

What would a prudent President and GM do? They would hedge their bets and keep adding talent to the roster. Think Rams when they had Trent Green and Kurt Warner?  It’s not an all or nothing situation with Fields now so why force yourself into a worse position?

How did Green Bay become to own the Chicago Bears for the last 20 years?  Hint: Majkowski, Favre, Rodgers, Love ? (TBD). How about some of the QB’s they drafted and traded away later? Remember guys like Mark Brunell and Matt Hasslebeck who went on to be pretty good starters in the league. In fact the Packers regularly draft qbs something the Bears rarely do or don’t do well.

Ryan Poles has tactically positioned the Bears in the upcoming draft (picks 1 & 5 overall) to potentially make some generational moves to set up the future success of the franchise.

We should all be asking what is the prudent and wise decisions that will make the Chicago Bears perennial winners?  

It’s hard to win when you’re in the midst of a complete rebuild. It is also difficult to win when your team is devoid draft picks, talent and quality coaching to develop and put players is position to succeed.

I want to see a great football culture built here and have great football people and men running our beloved Bears franchise!

Will Poles and Warren keep building the coaching culture or will they lure a proven coach like Jim Harbaugh to come in and take over?  Is Flus worth keeping on as DC?  

Is it worth having roster flexibility and continuity by exercising Fields 5th year option.  Either way you can’t go wrong drafting Marvin Harrison Jr at  #1 and then trading #5 back to acquire more picks and maybe getting a QB like Bo Nix in round 2-3?  

So many smart ways to keep building this team so that 2024 they can make a legit run at winning the division and playoff run.

Bear Down!

4 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Sorry for the long post but it’s been a while since I’ve participated on the board.

Organizationally, the Bears are improving and I’m cautiously optimistic and want to see what Kevin Warren and Ryan Poles can do over the next few years together.  I’m undecided on Flus but leaning towards letting him go.  I do appreciate that his players seem to respect him and demands a play hard culture. We can all agree that this team is improving but at the same time it’s really unacceptable to loose leads in the 4th quarter like the Cleveland , 1st Detroit and the Denver games!

The truth is that our Bears have been run awfully for decades. Pace’s regime overall did a poor job evaluating talent and took too much risk in the draft and all that did was leave the cupboard barren and bad cap position at the end of his tenure. Sure he had a few nice players here and there but his best draft was probably his last where he finally took some OL and got Fields.

Enter Ryan Poles, instead of trading away draft picks he moved back and traded vets to acquire more draft picks.  He overhauled this roster and created financial flexibility fairly quickly.  Knowing that you can’t fix a team in one trade or draft class he has done a solid job being creative with his moves and found some free agent bargains along the way. I love the DJ Moore & Montez Sweat trades! Yet people will knock him for the Claypoo trade but that guy turned out to be a piece of poo and Poles got rid of him for not meeting expectations.  I think we all agree it was a good attempt to address a WR need for the offense but it didn’t work out.

Last year was year 1 of the rebuild. Poles began doing what needed to be done and that was getting out from under performing veteran expensive contracts. Mack was declining and he took advantage of Quinn’s great season and moved on from both.  

Since before Angelo the Bears disproportionally spent more money and draft picks on defense and that created a gross positional and financial imbalance across the roster.  The NFL game has changed over the past 20 years to be a more offensive oriented league and the Bears simply never adjusted to the modern game.  

With that said I really like Ryan Poles philosophy regarding rebuilding with emphasis on the trenches and building through the draft along with key trades and free agents.  While it’s a work in progress we are now seeing better strategic balancing of the roster. 

2022 was a very difficult season to endure as a fan but the few players that made the Bears watchable was Justin Fields and Cole Kmet on offensive Jaylon Johnson Defensively and finally finding a kicker we can count on since Robbie left!

What’s the next step for the Bears as as a franchise?  Everybody and the media seems to think the Bears are at a major crossroads and need to make a decision on QB Justin Fields soon.  The reality is they are ending year two of their rebuild. IMHO, Justin has enough talent and made enough progress through season two as a starter to have his 5th year option picked up. The QB room is finally respectable and we have fans and talking heads wanting to blow it all up for what exactly?  Do I even need to rattle some names on the dreaded list of former QBs?  Here are some that will make you cringe: Jonathan Quinn, Mike Glennon and Drew Hutchinson?  Now don’t you love you some Justin Fields?  

What would a prudent President and GM do? They would hedge their bets and keep adding talent to the roster. Think Rams when they had Trent Green and Kurt Warner?  It’s not an all or nothing situation with Fields now so why force yourself into a worse position?

How did Green Bay become to own the Chicago Bears for the last 20 years?  Hint: Majkowski, Favre, Rodgers, Love ? (TBD). How about some of the QB’s they drafted and traded away later? Remember guys like Mark Brunell and Matt Hasslebeck who went on to be pretty good starters in the league. In fact the Packers regularly draft qbs something the Bears rarely do or don’t do well.

Ryan Poles has tactically positioned the Bears in the upcoming draft (picks 1 & 5 overall) to potentially make some generational moves to set up the future success of the franchise.

We should all be asking what is the prudent and wise decisions that will make the Chicago Bears perennial winners?  

It’s hard to win when you’re in the midst of a complete rebuild. It is also difficult to win when your team is devoid draft picks, talent and quality coaching to develop and put players is position to succeed.

I want to see a great football culture built here and have great football people and men running our beloved Bears franchise!

Will Poles and Warren keep building the coaching culture or will they lure a proven coach like Jim Harbaugh to come in and take over?  Is Flus worth keeping on as DC?  

Is it worth having roster flexibility and continuity by exercising Fields 5th year option.  Either way you can’t go wrong drafting Marvin Harrison Jr at  #1 and then trading #5 back to acquire more picks and maybe getting a QB like Bo Nix in round 2-3?  

So many smart ways to keep building this team so that 2024 they can make a legit run at winning the division and playoff run.

Bear Down!

Well thought out post, can't disagree with anything you said. I think there is one misconception about Warren , people think he was hired to come in and take over complete control. He was hired to work on the stadium and he stated he wanted to get more involved in day to day operation. If you look at his bio , he has no experience in personal or day to day stuff. He was a lawyer that worked in a different area of the business. I think he gets more involved  in those areas but that is a slow process. Nothing done with the stadium yet, he has is hands full.

10 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Well said PB!  Welcome back to the fray. Good to “see” you again. 

Thanks Alaskan!  Crazy coincidence but that was my 500th post and not sure how long I’ve been sitting on #499 but it was cool that the website sent me a notification about it.  

I also hope the Bears get it right on the new stadium.  I’m worried we will end up with Comiskey Park II!  

I think for Poles, his decision has been made, and it comes down to this:

What is Fields record when the Bears allow 21 or more pts? 

He is 0-21 when the Bears opponents score 21 or more.  7 of his 9 wins have come when the team allowed 19 or less. 

To me the 0-21 is crazy. If a defense has to hold a team to 20 or less (normally 2 TDs max) in today's NFL is tough. 

There are only 7 teams in the NFL that give up 20 or fewer pts per game. BUF, BAL, KC, DAL, MIN, ATL, and SF and they range between 17pts and 19.9pts per game.

The QB has to be able to win some games for you when the defense is playing bad, or in some cases, after an offensive mistake that leads to a defensive score or a Special Teams TD against. Unfortunately, Fields has shown, once an opponent hits that magical number of 21, it is a Bears loss. 

15 minutes ago, adam said:

I think for Poles, his decision has been made, and it comes down to this:

What is Fields record when the Bears allow 21 or more pts? 

He is 0-21 when the Bears opponents score 21 or more.  7 of his 9 wins have come when the team allowed 19 or less. 

To me the 0-21 is crazy. If a defense has to hold a team to 20 or less (normally 2 TDs max) in today's NFL is tough. 

There are only 7 teams in the NFL that give up 20 or fewer pts per game. BUF, BAL, KC, DAL, MIN, ATL, and SF and they range between 17pts and 19.9pts per game.

The QB has to be able to win some games for you when the defense is playing bad, or in some cases, after an offensive mistake that leads to a defensive score or a Special Teams TD against. Unfortunately, Fields has shown, once an opponent hits that magical number of 21, it is a Bears loss. 

yes, the era of the Tampa Bay Bucs smothering you 13 to 9 and winning a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer are over. The league has changed the rules to make this a scoring league.

Now if your defense is really good and your QB is ok but not great, youre gonna win a bunch of regular season games against the bottom half of the league. But I think it's a mistake to see progress from 3 wins to 8 wins as automatically fortelling a playoff winning team right around the corner.

Once you get to the top 10 teams, you gotta score points to beat them, because they are going to find a way to score on you too, no matter how good your defense is.

Progress in stats is a funny thing, as you elevate from the bottom to the middle, it looks like the trend line is continuing upward, but thats where context comes into things. Getting into the top 5 teams is a wholly different thing than climbing out of the basement.

Sack rate has always been in an issue with Fields, but I didn't know it was this bad. I thought he improved on it considerably this season, but now closing out his 3rd season, he is in some dubious company when it comes to sacks and hits. 

For his career, Fields has the 2nd highest sack% in NFL history for a 3rd Year QB at 12.49%. To put that into perspective, the most sacked QB in recent memory, who literally was shellshocked out of the league was David Carr, who is 9th on this list with a 10.41%. 

For overall sacks within the first 3 years, Fields is 9th with 126. With 3 games left, it looks like he will more than likely surpass Jake Plummer (128) and Fran Tarkenton (129).

If you take into account sacks + rushing attempts, only Cam Newton took more hits (114 sacks + 364 rushes=477) than Fields in his first 3 seasons so far (to Fields 126 sacks + 328 rushes=454). Fields only needs 24 rushes/sacks in the last 3 games to pass Cam Newton. Obviously not every rushing attempt is a hit, but still, this is not good for Fields longevity. Cam's sack% was only 7.17%. 

Cam Newton played 8 seasons, before missing one, then coming back with one arm in NE for a season, and started 5 in Carolina to end his career at 32. Ultimately his last full season in CAR was when he was 29.  Fields will be 25 in March. 

I wonder how much of this goes into Poles assessment?

Brian Baldinger

Tim Jenkins

Chase Daniels

Mike Florio

Hub Arkush

JT O'Sullivan

Dave Wannsted

Troy Aikman

Matt Bowen

Kurt Warner

Jimmie Johnson

Terry Bradshaw

Herm Edwards

Adam Rank

Peter King

Dan Orlovsky

This is a list of people that said if they were GM of the Bears, they would bring back Justin Fields. Now to be fair, some said they would draft a QB to develop over the next 2 yrs also. These are recent videos and interviews, they may have different opinions after the yr is over or before last week.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Sack rate has always been in an issue with Fields, but I didn't know it was this bad. I thought he improved on it considerably this season, but now closing out his 3rd season, he is in some dubious company when it comes to sacks and hits. 

For his career, Fields has the 2nd highest sack% in NFL history for a 3rd Year QB at 12.49%. To put that into perspective, the most sacked QB in recent memory, who literally was shellshocked out of the league was David Carr, who is 9th on this list with a 10.41%. 

For overall sacks within the first 3 years, Fields is 9th with 126. With 3 games left, it looks like he will more than likely surpass Jake Plummer (128) and Fran Tarkenton (129).

If you take into account sacks + rushing attempts, only Cam Newton took more hits (114 sacks + 364 rushes=477) than Fields in his first 3 seasons so far (to Fields 126 sacks + 328 rushes=454). Fields only needs 24 rushes/sacks in the last 3 games to pass Cam Newton. Obviously not every rushing attempt is a hit, but still, this is not good for Fields longevity. Cam's sack% was only 7.17%. 

Cam Newton played 8 seasons, before missing one, then coming back with one arm in NE for a season, and started 5 in Carolina to end his career at 32. Ultimately his last full season in CAR was when he was 29.  Fields will be 25 in March. 

I wonder how much of this goes into Poles assessment?

and some of it goes on the OL, but a lot of of it goes on how long Fields holds the ball.

Stats always have to be in context, and the context of Fields not making faster decisions is showing up in lots of different stats, including sacks.

It's easy to say that he needs more OL help, and no OL is perfect so every team needs more, but at some point, if you have to put pro bowl talent at every position around a QB to see if he will succeed, then maybe you need a new QB.

I'm not a Getsy apologist, but one thought I keep having is, if I was the OC, and I had a QB that just wouldnt pull the trigger, would I call more plays that dont have reads and force the QB to throw the ball in rhythm without making multiple reads like screens and rollouts?

15 minutes ago, TravD said:

Fields can not pass in structure. Any season he has a high ankle sprain, hammy or anything to the legs the season is over. He will be ineffective til he is healthy. Great guy, leader, arm and talent but he can’t read a defense before a play, during or anticipate. 

exactly. this is the problem. he's got all the tools, and its so seductive to think you could fix him. especially with that amazing arm. He is an amazing athlete, but not a QB.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Brian Baldinger

Tim Jenkins

Chase Daniels

Mike Florio

Hub Arkush

JT O'Sullivan

Dave Wannsted

Troy Aikman

Matt Bowen

Kurt Warner

Jimmie Johnson

Terry Bradshaw

Herm Edwards

Adam Rank

Peter King

Dan Orlovsky

This is a list of people that said if they were GM of the Bears, they would bring back Justin Fields. Now to be fair, some said they would draft a QB to develop over the next 2 yrs also. These are recent videos and interviews, they may have different opinions after the yr is over or before last week.

Your position on this question is clear.  Does it matter one bit what the above are saying?

I dont even think the people on that list are all saying definitively that Fields should be back. I youtube searched a few of the names, and watched the most recent videos and the opinions I saw were more balanced and nuanced than just "yes" or "no"

For example, Kurt Warner said that he doesnt think reading defenses is Fields' strength.

Dan Orlovsky said it was impossible to make a decision, and he thinks Fields should make it hard for the Bears to make a decision. That's really more rooting for someone than making a GM decision.

I know from JT OSullivan's videos, he says Fields misses reads all the time.

In no way am I saying that the people on this list are for dumping Fields either. Just that they are kind of being even handed and optimistic, and avoiding making definitive statements on it, which is smart for pundits who want to be around next year too.

And I think in general, pundits aren't in the business of crapping on active talented players. If you say "keep Fields" then you arent crapping on anyone. It's a stretch to say that's disrespectful, for example, to Caleb Williams. But if you say "trade Fields" then youre dissing Fields. It makes a lot more sense to avoid saying that directly. And that way, you cant really be wrong either. If a rookie busts or Fields thrives somewhere else, then the pundit who said to dump him has a -1 on the scoreboard. But no one will remember if you say keep him and he is traded, and busts out in the second team.

I CAN say that Fields himself is talking like he thinks there's a good chance he won't be in Chicago next year. And of course he doesn't know either. But given that, I'll bet his agent has prepared him for it, and how to answer questions without getting frustrated or hurting his own image. So Fields' agent must think it's a decent chance he is out of Chicago. And he would likely have some sort of inside information, even if it wasnt definitive. But a kind of read on the situation at least?

I could guess that if Poles knew he was keeping Fields, he might tell him that for confidence sake, but I can understand why he wouldnt too.

So there are no crystal balls. But as we have said before, there are reasons other than Fields himself to trade him too, like salary cap, and rookie deal windows, and we dont even know what the Bears think about the rookie QB class either. They each have positives and negatives too.

So whatever a pundit might say is just sportstalk. It's not evidence. Whether they say keep him or trade him.

1 hour ago, Daventry said:

Your position on this question is clear.  Does it matter one bit what the above are saying?

I think bear fans are torn because they want to see a drafted player succeed. But they also see the failures, whether it is missed targets or a dropped passes.  The offensive disappointments are not just on the QB but the 11 that miss the assignment.  

10 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think bear fans are torn because they want to see a drafted player succeed. But they also see the failures, whether it is missed targets or a dropped passes.  The offensive disappointments are not just on the QB but the 11 that miss the assignment.  

sure, and they (we) see the incredible potential that Fields obviously has as an athlete. Not to mention the exciting plays he makes to turn disasters into first downs. His hero ball is incredible. There must be a number of coaches in the league that think they can coach the guy up into a winner.

And the corollary to that argument is his flaws which I wont bother listing again.

A GM's job is hard.

7 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It is a difficult question, not least because of JF’s talent and likeable character.  Recent media seems to indicate he will be gone.  It is going to be a very interesting next six months.  I certainly don’t trust that what the talking heads say in public is really what they are thinking, and I am not sure most of their opinions are any more legitimate than anyone else’s.

4 hours ago, Daventry said:

What's your opinion on this subject? If you posted it, i dont remember it. They're just opinions but , I was trying to show I am not alone in my opinion. Smarter people than me have similar thoughts. Some of these people only job is to analyze football players, therefore they put more time in it than me. GMs get paid for their choices and get it right 1 out of 4 times a draft. 

If you get sick, are you going to take a friend's advice or listen to a doctor with 20 years experience? We all acquire information and try to think what would be best for the Bears future , I was actually out on Fields after the last game and listened to so many of these guys, It flipped me again.

Dave Wannsted has the best idea, IMO, keep Fields for next year, maybe 2 , build your roster up, draft a prospect and develop him. Then you can decide who you want as a QB of the future. If Field's gets better, and wins you games , you can trade the other prospect. It eliminate the chance you regress with a rookie QB for one or two years. Just look at last year as an example, Young was most people's choice as the best QB, several teams tried to trade up to get him, Houston got stuck with Stroud. He is the better QB at this time, no one was saying Stroud was the next great QB, but there you are.

For me, if Fields didn't show signs he was getting better, I would be rooting for someone else but a rookie brings risks to. Change the OC, design an offense to fit his strengths, put better people around him, and see what you got. Baltimore did it with Jackson. ( not saying Justin is as good as) . This thought is based on Poles brings Flus back, if he lets him go, then we might as well bring a new QB with him. This is my opinion, you can sort information out and decide for yourself. Why are we on this site if not for throwing out opinions and discussing them?