Fields-O-Meter

adam

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

100%. Bears have a much better roster than the Texans. They just don't have a quarterback nearly as good. Fields relies too heavily on his playmaking ability to make up for his pocket deficiencies. He's been a below average passer for 3 years and has lead the NFL in 4th quarter turnovers since coming in to the league. If he was special, you would almost certainly know it by now.

We are repeating the same mistake we made with Cutler. If you have to keep telling yourself you need better playmakers and coaches around the quarterback to make him better, the quarterback is the problem. 

When I look at Justin's growth, the first year was a total waste. They were going to not play him all year, no first team reps and when he got thrown in against the Browns, 9 sacks. Anyone think that wouldn't effect everything you do the rest of the year. Much more fair to measure with his last two years.

I was hoping this would be an oral Fieldsometer or maybe one of those laser Fieldsometers, but in the end (pun included) it turns out to be an anal Fieldsometer, and no one likes that.

I have been teetering on the fence to keep Fields or draft a QB. It is really a tough decision, but today made it very clear for me.

The entire time it has been talked about that the offense looks like gaining yards is tough, scoring is tough, well today that was on full display. They had nothing to lose and that is how they played.

The Bears offense scored 9 points. If I am an offensive player, I am embarrassed. 

The only highlight is Santos broke Gould's record for FGs in a season, but the sad part is that means the offense left A TON OF POINTS on the field. 

I do not control what Poles does, but if I had a vote, I would go with a clean slate, new HC, new OC, and new QB. 

One wonders if Warren might ask Poles what he thinks, and if Poles wants to stay loyal to Flus and Fields, finds himself out of a job. Or if that's what Warren thinks, he could just tell Poles to do that. But if Poles wants to keep them, I think that's a very dangerous position for him to be in.

IF on the other hand Poles says he wants to move on from them, and Warren wants to keep one of the other, that's less clear to me.

12 minutes ago, adam said:

I have been teetering on the fence to keep Fields or draft a QB. It is really a tough decision, but today made it very clear for me.

I think Ive seen you see the light on moving on multiple times during the year and then fight it in yourself because you wanted to give them a chance. I feel like you kept your mind open, not because the product on the field demanded it, but because it sucks to give up on your team so early. It makes sense, and its not wrong because if Fields had been all world the last 4 games, we might be having a very different discussion.

But no one goes from what weve seen of Fields thru week 10 lets say of this season, and then suddenly is all world. So for me, I saw this coming months ago. But thats no fun, and it makes people angry LOL

But yeah, now that all the games are played, and full due diligence has been given to Fields. It's clear. This team deserves better at QB and coach(es).

There's no more show to see , now Poles makes his decisions accordingly to what makes the team better. It doesn't matter what any of the fans want. It's what he thinks is the best way to get to a playoff run. Poles controls the future.

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

There's no more show to see , now Poles makes his decisions accordingly to what makes the team better. It doesn't matter what any of the fans want. It's what he thinks is the best way to get to a playoff run. Poles controls the future.

🙏🙏🙏 Please let him be guided by the spirits of the great Bears of the past.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

The best option for Fields is to go somewhere and sit for a year or two. He has taken a beating. 

He's starting somewhere next year, it may not be here. No ones trading a second round and sit him with all the mediocre QB rooms in the league.

I know this sucks to say, but that game really hurt Fields' trade value. I don't know what team looks at that performance and says I want that guy and I am willing to give up a top 60 pick for him. Just two weeks ago, Bryce Young put up 312 passing yards, 2 TDs on the same defense. 

I would say his value has dipped to a 3rd and maybe a future late round pick. I doubt any team in the first half of the draft is going to give up a top 50 pick for Fields seeing that performance. Not that fantasy pts mean anything, but they are honestly a quick way to see if a player did anything of value at their position for the game. Fields had the 4th worst performance against the Packers this season, only Winston, Rypien, and Pickett were worse. Tommy Devito, Jimmy G, Derek Carr, Desmond Ridder, Russell Wilson, and even Nick Mullens last game had a better game than Fields, and Mullens came in, in relief of Jaren Hall and only played a half of football.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

I know this sucks to say, but that game really hurt Fields' trade value. I don't know what team looks at that performance and says I want that guy and I am willing to give up a top 60 pick for him. Just two weeks ago, Bryce Young put up 312 passing yards, 2 TDs on the same defense. 

I would say his value has dipped to a 3rd and maybe a future late round pick. I doubt any team in the first half of the draft is going to give up a top 50 pick for Fields seeing that performance. Not that fantasy pts mean anything, but they are honestly a quick way to see if a player did anything of value at their position for the game. Fields had the 4th worst performance against the Packers this season, only Winston, Rypien, and Pickett were worse. Tommy Devito, Jimmy G, Derek Carr, Desmond Ridder, Russell Wilson, and even Nick Mullens last game had a better game than Fields, and Mullens came in, in relief of Jaren Hall and only played a half of football.

Fields is not a good NFL QB. Hes an amazing athlete, and people like him. But in the light of analysis, when you strip away the broken plays, and designed roll outs, when you get past the scripted plays, hes not good at all in the pocket.

And the fact that he is SO much better in the scripted plays is a HUGE indictment on his football IQ.

1 minute ago, adam said:

You may be right, but someone will think they know how to use Fields better than the great Getsy. They will not base their opinion of Fields on one game. Smart people know the play calling sucks and Fields is under pressure at a high rate. They will take a chance.

4 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He's starting somewhere next year, it may not be here. No ones trading a second round and sit him with all the mediocre QB rooms in the league.

I don't think any team is trading a 2nd for him. There is a huge risk that he doesn't improve. He is so late in his development that very few QBs turn it around, the numbers are astronomically low considering his current numbers. 

The new team also has to consider it would be his 3rd system in 4 years, which is not easy for a lot of QBs, and doesn't seem to be Fields' strength. 

I am thinking a team like Buffalo or Baltimore would be the best fit if they wanted him in a backup role for Allen or Lamar. He could even come in for wildcat and trick plays to get him used to the playbook. 

Any team that takes Fields has to sell it that they can turn him around in the first year. Like he doesn't get an entire season to figure out the new system. The team that trades for him is assuming he is ready and they are only a QB away. 

Just now, Stinger226 said:

You may be right, but someone will think they know how to use Fields better than the great Getsy. They will not base their opinion of Fields on one game. Smart people know the play calling sucks and Fields is under pressure at a high rate. They will take a chance.

After seeing Lance go for a 4th round pick makes me leery. There is more bad tape out on Fields than good, and definitely more bad tape than Lance ever had. For Sam Darnold, the Jets got a future 2nd, future 4th, and current 6th rounder, and even he was more accomplished as a passer than Fields when he was traded. The Darnold trade is probably the starting point. Also, CAR is a terribly run team, no other team in the league is giving that up for Darnold. So for Fields, I believe it starts with a 3rd rounder at best with a late future year 4th or 5th thrown in.

Lance wasn't A starter, he had a 7 th round draft pick take his job. Not sure what other people think but the GM survey said a 3 rd was more likely. There are examples of a lot of bad trades in the league, so far Poles seems aware of what he can get but he will definitely be starting in the league next year.

Just now, Stinger226 said:

Lance wasn't A starter, he had a 7 th round draft pick take his job. Not sure what other people think but the GM survey said a 3 rd was more likely. There are examples of a lot of bad trades in the league, so far Poles seems aware of what he can get but he will definitely be starting in the league next year.

Again my assessment means absolutely nothing. I am just going off the other trades with players either near Fields in terms of production/years of service, or draft status. Those are the two I picked. There are more but those seem the most the relevant to Fields.

19 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Let’s wait until after next year when teams have some intel on him and see how things shake out.  🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s been three years. No excuses was my mantra to start the season and I finish it the same way. Point blank - he’s a likeable dude but he is NOT good enough. In no scenario should they move forward with him as our starter. 

He can’t beat you with his arm and his style doesn’t make other better. He is not a multiplier. 

12 hours ago, adam said:

Stroud is playing amazing, but a few things. Outside of that one 75-yard busted coverage TD, he had 189 yards passing. In total 195 of his 264 yards were to Collins. So 17 passes for 69 yards (yay baby) to receivers other than Collins. That's 4.0 Y/A.  Just like the WAS game with Fields and Moore. Collins needs to get some credit for that game. Hey IND, you may want to bracket Collins instead of leaving a rookie DB on him with no over the top safety help.

What I loved about Stroud's game was the last scoring drive. Tie game, 4th quarter, you go 7-7, and recover from a sack and then a holding penalty while your lead back gets 4 rushes for 7 yards and the TD lol. They took 7 mins off the clock.

In between TDs drives, it reminded me of the Bears though, punt, punt, punt. 

Indy missed a FG, then decided to pass the ball (to Tyler Goodson?) on 4th and 1 with Taylor as your RB. They were on the HOU 15 with 2 more timeouts down 6. Indy shit this game down their leg. 

Ryans deserves a ton of credit. This defense is sneaky good. In their last 5 wins, they have allowed 19, 3, 16, 17, and 16. In their last 3 losses they allowed 36, 30, and 24. 

I was surprised to see HOU with 10 wins, who did they beat? IND, TENx2, DEN, ARZ, CIN, TB, NO, PIT, and JAX.  Of those teams, PIT is the only one that has 10 wins. I think next year is going to be exponentially tougher. Going from a last place schedule to a first place schedule is going to be interesting:

Next season they get MIA, BUF, BAL, KC, DAL or PHI + DET, CHI, GB, and MIN. Good luck Texans!

Eye test - he was throwing times and making plays with his arm. And when it mattered most he played incredible. And Texans receivers were all hurt but Nico and they still were able to do enough. Some make excuses - some turn lemons into lemonade. 

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I was hoping this would be an oral Fieldsometer or maybe one of those laser Fieldsometers, but in the end (pun included) it turns out to be an anal Fieldsometer, and no one likes that.

He can’t read defenses. Anyone that runs a zone heavy scheme clobbers him. And he looked awful and slow yet again. 

On 1/6/2024 at 3:09 PM, Stinger226 said:

Love could end up being good but he's never going to be a tier 1 QB .  None of us want to see that happen so we don't want to see any positives he shows. I think anything that Love shows is a product of having a good coach than actual talent.  Just like any QB, you keep pressure on him, he doesn't play well. 

Yet he is better than Justin. 

On 1/6/2024 at 3:09 PM, Stinger226 said:

Love could end up being good but he's never going to be a tier 1 QB .  None of us want to see that happen so we don't want to see any positives he shows. I think anything that Love shows is a product of having a good coach than actual talent.  Just like any QB, you keep pressure on him, he doesn't play well. 

Yet he is better than Justin. 

48 minutes ago, adam said:

Bryce can read defenses twice as good as Fields.