Justin Fields injury

ASHKUM BEAR

He's still not out of the woods yet. MRI could confirm ligament and tendon damage that could require surgery and end his season. I'm guessing he'll miss about 4-6 weeks, which means this could end up being his last season as a Bear depending on where the draft falls and what Poles decides to do with Fields 5th year option. A contract extension in the offseason at this point seems like that's dead on arrival.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Not sure if it's that long. I suspect 2 to 3 games. Its just about gripping the ball. I smashed my thumb with a sledge hammer and a fracture. It was almost normal in one month.

Yeah definitely depends on the severity. I messed mine up years ago and to this day, it still pops out of the socket every now and then. 

With it being on the throwing hand, any loss of grip strength will be an issue. Cutler sprained his thumb in 2016, was expected only to miss 2-3 weeks, missed 5, then came back for 3, was pretty ineffective, then missed the rest of the season.

I am not saying Fields is on the same timeline, but with this season lost, they are going to have to consider all options that may be completely unrelated to his health. I can tell you they won't rush him back. There is no point. What to go from 2-15 to 3-14. Fields doesn't move the needle that much when the team is so bad around him.

My guess is they won't put him on IR because I don't think you can trade injured players, so they would want to keep that option open if teams start asking about him before the deadline. I doubt that happens, but if he is not put on IR and misses at least 3 weeks, that's why.

Unfortunately we don't know anything and then when we do know, will they give us all the facts? Bagent will play at least the next few games, and they will keep it simple for him and he will do okay. Brock Purdy 2? I doubt it, but may be the intern with a drafted QB next year. The defense is starting to play better , so if can establish the run and put Bagent in a decent position to succeed we still may win a few games.

Looks like they are going to wait until the end of the week to determine if it is rehab or surgery.

Just the fact that surgery is mentioned means that it is probably a Grade 2. You wouldn't even consider surgery for a Grade 1. If it was Grade 3, it would be auto surgery.

I hope he is able to come back and play well - it helps us all the way around.

But I dont want to win any games by luck. I want to win the games we deserve to win on the field, and lose the ones we deserve to lose. We need to see whats what so we can make sound decisions going into the offseason. Seeing more Justin is a good thing no matter what we find out about him.

And it will be fun to see Bagent this week. I'm rooting for the kid to do well. He's fun to watch, but Im nowhere near ready to think he should be our starter next year or anything like that. But he is the underdog, so Im rooting for him.

So if it is closer to a Grade 3, meaning the swelling and pain haven't subsided, they will probably elect surgery and shut him down for the year. The thumb is the primary finger for grip strength, so if that is weaker in any way, there is no way you can throw a football properly. I fear that they are just delaying the inevitable. 

Any kind of IR stint or surgery with longer term recovery (into the offseason) would obvious impact a ton of decisions, but right now if you had to make a decision on whether to draft a QB or stay with Fields and build more around him, you have to draft a QB. Fields just has not shown enough consistency in Year 3 to risk passing on a QB.

Getting the #1 pick is rare, but getting back to back #1s is actually fairly common recently with two teams doing it in the last the last 7 years: 21-22-JAX, 17-18-CLE.

Just now, BearFan PHX said:

I hope he is able to come back and play well - it helps us all the way around.

But I dont want to win any games by luck. I want to win the games we deserve to win on the field, and lose the ones we deserve to lose. We need to see whats what so we can make sound decisions going into the offseason. Seeing more Justin is a good thing no matter what we find out about him.

And it will be fun to see Bagent this week. I'm rooting for the kid to do well. He's fun to watch, but Im nowhere near ready to think he should be our starter next year or anything like that. But he is the underdog, so Im rooting for him.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy about it. The fact that they even mentioned surgery probably means it's on the bad side of a Grade 2. As an NFL QB, the risk of reinjury is obviously super high. If he was to hit it on a helmet or to have it swatted by a defender, he could really damage to the point where he would lose strength in it. Just like the throwing shoulder, there is a lot of risk there. 

You are correct, the best scenario is Fields plays well, because the Bears wouldn't be forced to draft a QB and it would keep his trade value higher. If he doesn't return this year, or does and plays poorly, it forces the Bears to draft a QB AND lowers his trade value considerably. 

I am only interested in Bagent to see how a very young QB looks in this system. It was not apples to apples with Peterman or Siemian, one because how bad they were, but also because they were vets and it was hard to compare to Fields in development. However, with Bagent, he now gets a week of prep, he knows he will be QB1, I am sure he will study the Raiders defense more thorough knowing he is the guy, and hopefully Getsy can provide some protection so the Bears can get some tape on Bagent and see how the same plays look when he runs them. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I am only interested in Bagent to see how a very young QB looks in this system. It was not apples to apples with Peterman or Siemian, one because how bad they were, but also because they were vets and it was hard to compare to Fields in development. However, with Bagent, he now gets a week of prep, he knows he will be QB1, I am sure he will study the Raiders defense more thorough knowing he is the guy, and hopefully Getsy can provide some protection so the Bears can get some tape on Bagent and see how the same plays look when he runs them. 

This may be a plus plus for the team to be able to get 3 or 4 games to evaluate Bagent and still get enough games to still look at Fields. Getsy will keep it simple for Bagent to be able to let him succeed.

I remain completely confused about Bagent. I dont think he is superman, but I dont see how he wasnt drafted. There must be a reason.

The things he does well, he seems to do very well, especially for such a young rookie. i have read, and participated in, suspicion about his arm strength, but he threw a long ball earlier in the game that didnt have too much rainbow to it, so i dunno. Is it just that he didnt face Division 1 opponents? if thats all it is, then yeah we should evaluate him and see what he really is.

But if there is some other reason why scouts passed on him, then he probably isnt the long term answer, and with 2 top first round picks, and a year of good QBs, you gotta grab one.

But I am rooting for the kid, and I like him. I am sure at this point Getsy thinks the ONLY way he lives thru this year is to kick ass with Bagent and then have everyone think that it was all Justin's fault.

I will say this tho - not yet knowing Bagent's major flaws - when hes in there, it looks like football. The timing feels crisp, and it just looks like a real offense. I hope Getsy given him the whole playbook and doesnt try to protect him and scheme away from just playing regular football.

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Brock Purdy was the last pick in the draft seems like he should have been at least a mid round pick. Football is kinda weird that way. 

It's funny because it was a luxury pick. After the 4th, teams are addressing Special Teams and not really going QB that late, because they assume the player will end up as a UDFA. For whatever reason, SF felt like that was a better option, but if they knew he was that good, they would have even drafted him earlier. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

It's funny because it was a luxury pick. After the 4th, teams are addressing Special Teams and not really going QB that late, because they assume the player will end up as a UDFA. For whatever reason, SF felt like that was a better option, but if they knew he was that good, they would have even drafted him earlier. 

Especially curious given the same management (and theoretically talent evaluators) were the ones that picked Trey Lance and Brock Purdy within a year from each other.  Similar to when Washington drafted RGIII and Kirk Cousins the same year. Again illustrates just how much the "experts" really don't know.  

34 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Especially curious given the same management (and theoretically talent evaluators) were the ones that picked Trey Lance and Brock Purdy within a year from each other.  Similar to when Washington drafted RGIII and Kirk Cousins the same year. Again illustrates just how much the "experts" really don't know.  

Absolutely, its not an easy process and good GMs screw up all the time, the key is to get more good than bad.

1 hour ago, adam said:

No surgery for Fields, so it is a mild Grade 2 sprain. That is great news. At most that is probably 2 weeks. 

That is great news and I hope the time off helps him reset his mind.  He has the talent but his mind holds him back.  He needs the game to slow down.

2 hours ago, adam said:

No surgery for Fields, so it is a mild Grade 2 sprain. That is great news. At most that is probably 2 weeks. 

Awesome.  I saw some good things from him in the last game, then I saw some bad things.  Hopefully a couple weeks to clear his mind helps and then he can get after it.