Week Something Official Game Thread - LVR @ CHI, SUN, sometime, on a channel, Raiders favored, blah blah blah

adam

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Interesting that on the last play of the half - a hail mary - they put Peterson in instead of Bagent. I suppose thats a partial answer to the question of Bagents arm strength on long passes.

I think they are just not asking to much from Bagent, if Peterman gets hammered if doesnt affect everything. Just put him in positive situations helps.

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think they are just not asking to much from Bagent, if Peterman gets hammered if doesnt affect everything. Just put him in positive situations helps.

I was thinking the same thing (not wanting him to throw an INT) but probably (and more concerning) is that they were projecting Bagent can’t throw the long ball.  

16 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I was thinking the same thing (not wanting him to throw an INT) but probably (and more concerning) is that they were projecting Bagent can’t throw the long ball.  

That's what I think too. If Bagent had a real long ball, he'd be a contender to be Bears starter next year, passing on the rookie QBs.

He is an excellent backup though, I expect us to keep him for quite a while.

The one takeaway I thought interesting was how the Bears were ranked 2nd in rushing (if I’m remembering the graphic earlier) the last two games.  And that’s with the first 2-3 RBs on the bench and a guy who was on the Dolphins practice squad two weeks ago helping out in the running game.  Why weren’t the Bears doing this more earlier in the season? 

14 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The one takeaway I thought interesting was how the Bears were ranked 2nd in rushing (if I’m remembering the graphic earlier) the last two games.  And that’s with the first 2-3 RBs on the bench and a guy who was on the Dolphins practice squad two weeks ago helping out in the running game.  Why weren’t the Bears doing this more earlier in the season? 

cuz our coaches suck?

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

That's what I think too. If Bagent had a real long ball, he'd be a contender to be Bears starter next year, passing on the rookie QBs.

He is an excellent backup though, I expect us to keep him for quite a while.

He can throw deep.  Why do it when you don't need to?  Makeshift line and 4th/5th running backs.  He played mistake free ball and made plays when he needed to.

12 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

He can throw deep.  Why do it when you don't need to?  Makeshift line and 4th/5th running backs.  He played mistake free ball and made plays when he needed to.

Im still not sure. He threw a go ball way short last week, but it could also have been because he had a hard rush coming in his face. Today they took Bagent off the field for the hail mary because of his arm, but then again I think our coaches are idiots.

I would love to see Bagent show me some deep balls. That would help my question a lot!

Hats off to Bagent. You have to feel good for the kid to come from DII and get his first win in his first career start, while also playing pretty well.

He didn't do anything special, but I thought he made a couple of really heady plays that I'm not sure the other quarterback does:

• - The first 3rd down conversion of the game was a perfect example of Bagent going through all of his progressions and finding Scott running across the middle of the field to pick up the 1st down.
  • - The QB sneak play, he had the presence of mind to anticipate Crosby coming over the middle and finding the gap to the right to pick up another key 3rd down.
  • - He made a couple of really nice throws to DJ Moore on those quick out routes. He also dropped a perfect touchdown pass that Bagent later made up on the next play to Foreman.
  • - Only 1 sack. When is the last time Justin Fields was sacked only once in a game? I can't remember. You can clearly see the difference between a guy getting the ball out quicker and the guy that doesn't.

All in all, you couldn't have asked for much more from Bagent. This brought me back to the Kyle Orton days of game managing. Over 70% completion and 0 turnovers. I'm excited to see what he can do now in primetime against another mediocre football team next week, assuming Fields is out.

3 hours ago, ChileBear said:

We should have looked like this 5 games ago. Maybe we're  building for next year, but that would mean Eberflus stays and I don't think he is our answer as head coach.

They looked great for 3 quarters against Denver, then for a full game against Washington, and now a full game against the Raiders. So a bad game against Minnesota tucked in there, but that game was winnable and you could tell the defense was starting to figure things out. The defense extended that into this game.

Bagent did enough not to lose, he was not needed to win the game. Fields has been in too many games where he has to win it singlehandedly. 

If the defense plays like they have for the rest of the season, the O-Line gets healthier, the QB won't be as important to win games. 

What absolutely sucks is the stupid loss to Denver and the game against MIN, with wins in those games this team is 4-3, which is hard to believe, but a total of 3 total plays are the difference between 2-5 and 4-3. 

46 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Hats off to Bagent. You have to feel good for the kid to come from DII and get his first win in his first career start, while also playing pretty well.

He didn't do anything special, but I thought he made a couple of really heady plays that I'm not sure the other quarterback does:

• - The first 3rd down conversion of the game was a perfect example of Bagent going through all of his progressions and finding Scott running across the middle of the field to pick up the 1st down.
  • - The QB sneak play, he had the presence of mind to anticipate Crosby coming over the middle and finding the gap to the right to pick up another key 3rd down.
  • - He made a couple of really nice throws to DJ Moore on those quick out routes. He also dropped a perfect touchdown pass that Bagent later made up on the next play to Foreman.
  • - Only 1 sack. When is the last time Justin Fields was sacked only once in a game? I can't remember. You can clearly see the difference between a guy getting the ball out quicker and the guy that doesn't.

All in all, you couldn't have asked for much more from Bagent. This brought me back to the Kyle Orton days of game managing. Over 70% completion and 0 turnovers. I'm excited to see what he can do now in primetime against another mediocre football team next week, assuming Fields is out.

My hope is that Fields maybe benefits from watching Bagent a bit and learns from him. Fields is such a special talent, would be stellar to see him improve in his tempo / quick reads. 

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic