Week 11 Official Game Thread - Bears @ Lions, Sunday, 11-19, 12pm, FOX Bears -10, O/U 47

adam

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I agree with that just not throwing him away with 7 games left.

of course. there is no way to replace him now, and the trade deadline is over, so there is no way to do that even if someone wanted to.

he has the next 7 games to show whatever he wants to show.

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

If he can return to those 3 games production wise, he would be a top 10 QB.  Yes, he needs to learn to be quicker in he progressions and not swing for homeruns. Maybe watching Bagent will help him there.

well swinging for homeruns is good, he just needs to do that in tempo too. as for those three games, I think it was as much about the bad defense as Justin. I didnt see him making fast reads and throwing with anticipation.

And dont get me wrong if ANY QB on our roster starts to look lik ea top 10 QB thats a good thing. Im not against Justin the person, I just dont believe he has that in him. And I would love to be wrong.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Over Unders:

• The O/U for St. Brown and/or LaPorta to be "wide" open over the middle? 5
  • The O/U for Monty TDs? 1.5
  • The O/U for the announcers saying that Monty looks like he is running angry (or getting revenge)? 3
  • The O/U for the number of times the announcers mention Fields' thumb? 4
  • The O/U for something up Flus' sleeve? 1

1 hour ago, adam said:

Some Over Unders:

• The O/U for St. Brown and/or LaPorta to be "wide" open over the middle? 5
  • The O/U for Monty TDs? 1.5
  • The O/U for the announcers saying that Monty looks like he is running angry (or getting revenge)? 3
  • The O/U for the number of times the announcers mention Fields' thumb? 4
  • The O/U for something up Flus' sleeve? 1

ha this is exactly right.

A lot of mediocre teams in the league, as soon as you think someone is good they crash. Philly is clearly the best at this moment. SF, KC , Miami, Detroit, Dallas, Jacksonville, Ravens, who knows who is riding high at the end of the year. Its called parity. If we can go 4-3 or better to finish the season, it will be a sign we are trending up. Only Detroit doesnt look beatable.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:18 AM, adam said:

At what positions are the Lions better than the Bears? Right now, it seems like it would be the OL and DL.

On a revisit of this, the OL and DL is everything.  Whenever I hear that another team has both better fronts, it screams beat down 9 outta ten times.  That being said, we are very close on physicality.  Where they are better is through continuity and tenure in system.  Everyone knows how important that is for the offensive line, as the best OL's are built through time.  Defense is the one that's harder to figure, but I've been hearing more and more on the importance of cohesion on the DL.  The LB's need it for gap assignments, while the DL needs it for pass rush coordination and timing.  It's deeper than that, but y'all get it.

46 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

On a revisit of this, the OL and DL is everything.  Whenever I hear that another team has both better fronts, it screams beat down 9 outta ten times.  That being said, we are very close on physicality.  Where they are better is through continuity and tenure in system.  Everyone knows how important that is for the offensive line, as the best OL's are built through time.  Defense is the one that's harder to figure, but I've been hearing more and more on the importance of cohesion on the DL.  The LB's need it for gap assignments, while the DL needs it for pass rush coordination and timing.  It's deeper than that, but y'all get it.

If you go position by position, it really is Center on the O-Line and 3T on the D-Line where the huge disparity is. Sewell/Decker are better than Jones/Wright, but it is not a massive difference. Jenkins is probably the best G out of both lines. On the DLine, Sweat and Billings would both start for Detroit, its the other half where the Bears are lacking.

3 hours ago, adam said:

If you go position by position, it really is Center on the O-Line and 3T on the D-Line where the huge disparity is. Sewell/Decker are better than Jones/Wright, but it is not a massive difference. Jenkins is probably the best G out of both lines. On the DLine, Sweat and Billings would both start for Detroit, its the other half where the Bears are lacking.

and probably an upgrade at left tackle too?

FWIW I read that the oline configuration for this week will be Jones-Jenkins-Patrick-Davis-Wright. I don’t know whether Jenkins and Davis are interchangeable. As it was mentioned as well, this will be the best we could have it with the current staff.  

Allegedly, this will be the first time in his 8(?) years with us where Whitehair will be in a reserve role when the starting lineup comes out.  Thus I suspect this means 2023 will be his last year with us.  

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

FWIW I read that the oline configuration for this week will be Jones-Jenkins-Patrick-Davis-Wright. I don’t know whether Jenkins and Davis are interchangeable. As it was mentioned as well, this will be the best we could have it with the current staff.  

Allegedly, this will be the first time in his 8(?) years with us where Whitehair will be in a reserve role when the starting lineup comes out.  Thus I suspect this means 2023 will be his last year with us.  

based on his play alone, yes - but when you factor in his huge cap number... he gone.

I watched a replay of Ravens destroying the Lions. Montgomery didnt play in that game but we have one thing in common with the Ravens , a QB that can run. If you watched the game, Justin can do everything Jackson did. The key to the game was Ravens were more physical at the line of scrimmage. They put pressure on Goff and held them to under 100 yds. They sacked him 5 times. When Goff is under pressure, he's just not as good. They attacked the Ravens the same way they will play us short passing game and the middle of the field. They only had 2 pass plays over 20 yds. So for us to get similar results, we have to get pressure and play our CBs tighter tov the line of scrimmage. For us , Justin needs to run the ball well and stay away from TOs. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

They put pressure on Goff and held them to under 100 yds. They sacked him 5 times. When Goff is under pressure, he's just not as good

To me this will be the key to having a chance today.  I’m going to guess that Swear knows it’s time to “feast” and maybe Ngoukue will finally get in on the action too. 

The one x-factor for me will be Gibbs.  Gibbs could be key to Lions playing really well especially if Goff has to resort to a lot of dump offs / screens .

41 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Edmunds will play today. I think this is the first time the D has been full healthy.

No excuses today for the entire team. Even if they lose, as long as they are super competitive and lose, they can at least show they belong. A win is obviously better, but a bad loss, even a 10 point loss would be disappointing because one extra first rounder isn't going to magically make them contenders. They need to do it with the players they have now. Poles/Eberflus have never beaten an NFC North opponent, not really taking the North.

6 minutes ago, adam said:

No excuses today for the entire team. Even if they lose, as long as they are super competitive and lose, they can at least show they belong. A win is obviously better, but a bad loss, even a 10 point loss would be disappointing because one extra first rounder isn't going to magically make them contenders. They need to do it with the players they have now. Poles/Eberflus have never beaten an NFC North opponent, not really taking the North.

We should be able too see what Poles is trying to build now.

WOW what a signature drive, 75 yard drive, 5+ minutes. They looked unstoppable.

First offensive series: 1 rollout, 1 designed run, 1 RPO run for Fields, then a scramble and pass to Moore, then a nice pass to Kmet for another 1st Down, then a designed reverse rollout and pass to St. Brown. The first RB run with Foreman to left for 4. Another rollout designed boot run for Fields, slides and gets hit, no call. Foreman a beastmode run on 1st and goal to the 2. The play clock almost runs out, but Bears get a timeout in before the penalty. Fake run, then pass to Tonyan, defensive PI. 1st down on the half yard line. Foreman walks in for the ez TD.   7-0 Bears.

No 3rd downs, all 1st and 2nd downs. Crazy.

this first drive was successful, but I didnt see Fields just stand back there calmly and deliver. It all feels like crisis, like scrambling, and Fields does that very well. He's also the best running QB I've ever seen. His sudden change of direction is Hester-like.

But the difference in style from Bagent (pocket passer type) is obvious. I wonder if this is sustainable. Id sure love to see Fields set his feet and throw the ball in rhythm. You cant backyard it all the time, no matter how good Fields and Moore are at doing that. It isnt basketball.

Lets see...

1 minute ago, adam said:

WOW what a signature drive, 75 yard drive, 5+ minutes. They looked unstoppable.

First offensive series: 1 rollout, 1 designed run, 1 RPO run for Fields, then a scramble and pass to Moore, then a nice pass to Kmet for another 1st Down, then a designed reverse rollout and pass to St. Brown. The first RB run with Foreman to left for 4. Another rollout designed boot run for Fields, slides and gets hit, no call. Foreman a beastmode run on 1st and goal to the 2. The play clock almost runs out, but Bears get a timeout in before the penalty. Fake run, then pass to Tonyan, defensive PI. 1st down on the half yard line. Foreman walks in for the ez TD.   7-0 Bears.

No 3rd downs, all 1st and 2nd downs. Crazy.

One big W will be a huge boost to this team. Let's do it today!  Fields looking good and will hopefully get back to his 3 game streak of 120 passer rating