Week 11 Official Game Thread - Bears @ Lions, Sunday, 11-19, 12pm, FOX Bears -10, O/U 47

adam

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

How do you go Herbert up the middle when the Lions are crowding the run? You gotta call plays that punish that, not play into their strength.

This is where Getsy starts coaching scared. This is where they try to hide Fields.

They need to stretch them out. 8 in the box every down.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This game reminds me of the old “black and blue” division games.  

At the risk of making excuses for Justin some of his passes are coming out duck-y, especially the longer ones.  Still has the power to push them through though.  

the one to Moore that was almost picked off was a knuckleball for sure

you can just see Goff, who isnt even that good, processing calmly and getting the ball out. He is a QB, even if not a great one. Compare to Fields, who feels like it's a broken play crisis all the time, even if he is able to make that work for him some of the time.

In other words, when does it feel like you could imagine the QB saying "shit shit shit" - almost every Fields drop back. Even as he is creating miracles.

Yes that’s what 7 or 8 years of experience does for a QB.  Of course it also caused Goff to almost throw 3 INTs in the first half.  

1st half: 

Justin 11/16  103yd,   O TD. 0 INT.  43yd rushing

Goff.  11/18.  107 yd,   1 TD.  2 INT.   4yd rushing

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Yes that’s what 7 or 8 years of experience does for a QB.  Of course it also caused Goff to throw 3 INTs in the first half.  

yeah I said Goff isnt great. For sure. But you can see what is missing in Fields' game.

And it doesnt take 7 years to learn. Stroud is doing it as a rookie.

6 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

In other words, when does it feel like you could imagine the QB saying "shit shit shit" - almost every Fields drop back. Even as he is creating miracles.

Meh.  The play calling out of the gate was solid and creative.  Played towards Justin’s strengths.  Detroit started blitzing more and Chicago continues to run up the middle.  That’s on the scheme aka play-calling.  During those same stretches of blitzes you could see Justin get the ball out quicker (ergo the “knuckle ball”) but he’s reacting instinctively knowing the pressure is coming.  

Goff’s style of ‘standing cool in the pocket’ is only good if you don’t get any pressure.  We see what happens when pressure gets to him once or twice. Two INTs and another near miss. 

3 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meh.  The play calling out of the gate was solid and creative.  Played towards Justin’s strengths.  Detroit started blitzing more and Chicago continues to run up the middle.  That’s on the scheme aka play-calling.  During those same stretches of blitzes you could see Justin get the ball out quicker (ergo the “knuckle ball”) but he’s reacting instinctively knowing the pressure is coming.  

Goff’s style of ‘standing cool in the pocket’ is only good if you don’t get any pressure.  We see what happens when pressure gets to him once or twice. Two INTs and another near miss. 

Justin has all the extras, but he doesnt have the core. Youre right, you cant always be a pocket passer. And when things break down, very few int he league are as good as Fields.

But you gotta be able to read a defense and throw the ball in rhythm. You have to have some % of your passes that are thrown where and when they are supposed to be as you draw it up. You can add backyard football on top of core QBing, but you gotta have the core skills too.

I also agree about the gameplan - making the most of Fields' strengths. But you can be Wildcat offense as your base offense. That's College option football,. and as you see, you can stack the box as an answer to it.

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah I said Goff isnt great. For sure. But you can see what is missing in Fields' game.

And it doesnt take 7 years to learn. Stroud is doing it as a rookie.

I haven't watched any of Houston's games so I'll take your word for it.  And I don't disagree on where Fields needs to grow as a QB but you've also seen him handle an all-out blitz  and make a hot read for a 1st down.  Hit a quick out on 4th and short for a 1st down.  

Just now, AZ54 said:

I haven't watched any of Houston's games so I'll take your word for it.  And I don't disagree on where Fields needs to grow as a QB but you've also seen him handle an all-out blitz  and make a hot read for a 1st down.  Hit a quick out on 4th and short for a 1st down.  

yeah I praised him for that 4th down pass to Moore. It was a 2 yard out, but it was fast out of his hands, and in rhythm.

If Fields could add that consistently to his game, he could be an exceptional QB.

The Lions will try to force him to beat them from the pocket, so we'll get to see more opportunities for Justin to grow or show this part of his game.

Just now, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Mahomes and Jackson have made a career out of playing like that.  

yeah but Mahomes can also throw from the pocket and make fast reads?

Im not against all the extra stuff, its great, Im just saying you have to add it to a core set of skills.

Just now, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Maybe a little early but I like having Feeney in as Center.  So far up the middle runs and protection there have been solid. 

I am very happy to get a good look at him.

Fields is obviously not happy with Feeney these past two snaps, but Feeney is just getting started.