QB thread

Stinger226

Carolina & Tampa Bay. What a game.

B. Young (2023 #1 Pick) 15-21 178 yds 0 TDs 1 INT 

Vs.

B. Mayfield (2018 #1 Pick) 14-29 202 yds 1 TD 1 INT

Thanks. Tampa Bay squeaked out a win.

The two QBs projected 1 & 2 in this years draft, I'm not impressed with at all.

There are some kick ass prospects that can be drafted later round one or round two.

Trade our (Hopefully) #1 pick from Carolina for a boat load of picks. Draft a QB like Daniels (may very well be the best of the lot) with one of those extra picks and grab 3 or 4 blue chip players to strengthen the Bears' roster.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The two QBs projected 1 & 2 in this years draft, I'm not impressed with at all.

There are some kick ass prospects that can be drafted later round one or round two.

Trade our (Hopefully) #1 pick from Carolina for a boat load of picks. Draft a QB like Daniels (may very well be the best of the lot) with one of those extra picks and grab 3 or 4 blue chip players to strengthen the Bears' roster.

Where Im at right now I agree about Williams and Maye. I do like Daniels a lot, and I need to watch more film.

I agree we can get the right QB later than the first few pics, but Im not sure we can get them as low as the second round after the QB hype machine rolls through the combine etc.

I personally think it might be smart to take MHJr with the #1 overall, and then trade #5(?) down to around 8 or 10 and get the QB.

We might not get the bonanza of picks, but if we get a franchise QB and the next Randy Moss out of the first round, that wouldnt suck.

Then you grab that Center, and then draft FS and BPA

Of course this is all not knowing what Free Agency will bring either.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Trade our (Hopefully) #1 pick from Carolina for a boat load of picks. Draft a QB like Daniels (may very well be the best of the lot) with one of those extra picks and grab 3 or 4 blue chip players to strengthen the Bears' roster

This I like. McCarthy would be my QB choice.  And I’d like to see some combo of Browers and MHJ (if not both).  And we’d be remiss if we didn’t get at least one OLineman in the top half of the draft. 

It's so early, but don't sleep on Michael Penix either.

Hes played 46 games, started 43 of them, has a record of 36-7 including being undefeated this year 13-0.

He's got a cannon for an arm and makes fast reads - the ball comes out on time and on target.

His RTG the last five years are: 157.6, 136.5, 101.9, 151.3 and 161.4 this year.

His career RTG vs AP top 25 teams is 144.

4,641 yards last year and 31 TDs 8 INT

4,218 yards this year and 33 TDs 9 INT

And did I mention he has a cannon for an arm?

6' 3"  213 pounds

NFL Draft Buzz has him as the 4th best QB, predicted to go 10th overall.

"Outstanding quick processor - he goes through his progressions like an experienced vet."
"effectively looks off defenders. He's also a natural in leading receivers and his timing is elite"
"From a physical standpoint, a prototypical modern quarterback"
"Has an impressive ability to buy time and avoid the pass rush. Doesn't look to run and is patient waiting for his receivers to get open"
"strong right arm and is capable of making every NFL throw easily. Can drive the deep out to the sideline from the opposite hash and has no problem threading the needle between closing defenders"

They say Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix

I also read injury concerns, but he started so many games... hmmm more to research

but look at the arm strength...

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

It's so early, but don't sleep on Michael Penix either.

Hes played 46 games, started 43 of them, has a record of 36-7 including being undefeated this year 13-0.

He's got a cannon for an arm and makes fast reads - the ball comes out on time and on target.

His RTG the last five years are: 157.6, 136.5, 101.9, 151.3 and 161.4 this year.

His career RTG vs AP top 25 teams is 144.

4,641 yards last year and 31 TDs 8 INT

4,218 yards this year and 33 TDs 9 INT

And did I mention he has a cannon for an arm?

6' 3"  213 pounds

NFL Draft Buzz has him as the 4th best QB, predicted to go 10th overall.

"Outstanding quick processor - he goes through his progressions like an experienced vet."
"effectively looks off defenders. He's also a natural in leading receivers and his timing is elite"
"From a physical standpoint, a prototypical modern quarterback"
"Has an impressive ability to buy time and avoid the pass rush. Doesn't look to run and is patient waiting for his receivers to get open"
"strong right arm and is capable of making every NFL throw easily. Can drive the deep out to the sideline from the opposite hash and has no problem threading the needle between closing defenders"

They say Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix

I also read injury concerns, but he started so many games... hmmm more to research

but look at the arm strength...

I posted some time ago that a buddy of mine, who is college football addict, swears Penix is the best QB coming out for the 2024 draft. Loved the highlight film.

I bet he got a lot of razz about his last name when he was a teenager in school.!? For some weird reason it brought to mind the late Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue." LOL

12 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I posted some time ago that a buddy of mine, who is college football addict, swears Penix is the best QB coming out for the 2024 draft. Loved the highlight film.

I bet he got a lot of razz about his last name when he was a teenager in school.!? For some weird reason it brought to mind the late Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue." LOL

Richard or Willy Penix would've been more appropriate right? 

Does the age thing scare you about Penix? He is going to be 24 in May. That age thing matters when you are mostly playing against 18 and 19 year old kids. I just don't know how much. If he can play, he can play. 

I like his tape, and he is definitely one of the top 5 QBs. 

It's a crap shoot with QBs if you go by recent history. Penix would be a good prospect but probably not a first round pick. If we trade back and get a 2nd round pick in return maybe a QB they consider. I still think the double down on QBs is our best option for success. I think Maye, Williams, Daniels and McCarthy are the first round picks. Nix, Ewers, and Penix  are the wild cards. Late first or early second. We could take a prospect there.

The draft site I looked at has Penix going at pick number 9, the 4th QB off the board.

People who think these QBs will drop into later rounds are forgetting the QB hype that happens every year.

If anyone thinks Penix, undefeated and in Heisman contention is going to be the 8th QB taken, I think that's really silly, but people have all kinds of opinions out there I guess.

3 hours ago, adam said:

Does the age thing scare you about Penix? He is going to be 24 in May. That age thing matters when you are mostly playing against 18 and 19 year old kids. I just don't know how much. If he can play, he can play. 

I like his tape, and he is definitely one of the top 5 QBs. 

QBs ( after the first 2 ) could go in any order. It just depends on the team. Someone choose Young over Stroud, someone choose Wilson, Lance over Fields, its amazing how GMs view prospects and fail.

My order of preference is Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, Penix and Nix, in that order.

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'll go Maye, Daniels, Williams, McCarthy, Nix, Penix, Sanders.  Crazy, that's 7 in the first two rounds.

I forgot about Sanders , I think Williams has the highest ceiling but also the highest bust rate. Intangibles matter, would rather take a risk on a lower talent than have a first pick bust.

8 hours ago, adam said:

This got me to thinking.  I remember a few weeks back posting about these 5th and 6th year seniors who will be eligible for the draft.  Penix is one of them.  He started his collegiate career (at Indiana) the same year Fields started at Georgia. They're only a year apart in age (Fields being one year older). 

I remember when Velus Jones was drafted and someone commented on his age (25 at the time and he himself a 6th year senior).  He was productive at Tennessee until he made his way to the NFL.  As you say, playing against a bunch of 18-19 year olds is different than in the NFL.  

QB related, I am going to give Jordan Love credit which is not easy.  He has grown the last few games and is now looking like a good QB to build around.  Green Bay knows how to develop. 

This is something the Bears cannot do.  With this in mind, I believe the Bears should plan to keep Justin Fields for at least 2024 only because competition makes the best rise.  If they draft a QB, make him earn the position.  If they have to wait 1 or 2 years, fine.  Who cares about the money as long as they get it right, sooner rather than later.  They need more talent at WR and Oline to get there offensively but they are not far. 

11 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

QB related, I am going to give Jordan Love credit which is not easy.  He has grown the last few games and is now looking like a good QB to build around.  Green Bay knows how to develop. 

This is something the Bears cannot do.  With this in mind, I believe the Bears should plan to keep Justin Fields for at least 2024 only because competition makes the best rise.  If they draft a QB, make him earn the position.  If they have to wait 1 or 2 years, fine.  Who cares about the money as long as they get it right, sooner rather than later.  They need more talent at WR and Oline to get there offensively but they are not far. 

I think our best option is what you suggest, if Fields fails ,you have his replacement in waiting. You always trade one or the other depending on success in 2024 or 25.

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This got me to thinking.  I remember a few weeks back posting about these 5th and 6th year seniors who will be eligible for the draft.  Penix is one of them.  He started his collegiate career (at Indiana) the same year Fields started at Georgia. They're only a year apart in age (Fields being one year older). 

I remember when Velus Jones was drafted and someone commented on his age (25 at the time and he himself a 6th year senior).  He was productive at Tennessee until he made his way to the NFL.  As you say, playing against a bunch of 18-19 year olds is different than in the NFL.  

The Velus pick will always be a head scratcher for me. You draft players with the hope they get a 2nd contract from you because they played that good. Velus would be 29 on the first year of his 2nd contract. Just say he would sign another 4 year deal, to get 8 years out of the draft pick, he would be 32 on the final year of that 2nd deal. WR's peak at 26-27, and rarely do they stay productive beyond 30. So why are you drafting a guy knowing if you sign him to a 2nd contract, you would likely only get 1-2 more years out of him. That just seems like a really short-sighted pick. 

To put that into perspective, Allen Robinson is 30 this season for PIT, after his 29 yr old season with the Rams last year.  Another weird fact, Robinson is the same age as Cooper Kupp (who came out at 24). Kupp has been slightly better than Velus has thru their first 2 seasons.

2 hours ago, adam said:

The Velus pick will always be a head scratcher for me. You draft players with the hope they get a 2nd contract from you because they played that good. Velus would be 29 on the first year of his 2nd contract. Just say he would sign another 4 year deal, to get 8 years out of the draft pick, he would be 32 on the final year of that 2nd deal. WR's peak at 26-27, and rarely do they stay productive beyond 30. So why are you drafting a guy knowing if you sign him to a 2nd contract, you would likely only get 1-2 more years out of him. That just seems like a really short-sighted pick. 

To put that into perspective, Allen Robinson is 30 this season for PIT, after his 29 yr old season with the Rams last year.  Another weird fact, Robinson is the same age as Cooper Kupp (who came out at 24). Kupp has been slightly better than Velus has thru their first 2 seasons.

Velus and Claypool were both reaches with short term on the mind. The kind of move you never want to make, but if you wanted to hope to evaluate Fields last year during the teardown, you had to hope you could find some receivers without really having the draft or cap capital to do it right long term.

I know why he reached, and reaching is why things like that fail. But he had to take the swing, and it didnt really cost that much looking forward.

But is Velus done? For sure.

Jake Browning had a great game. Went undrafted in 2019. This year is his first year on a roster. A player that worked hard and got better . QBs can be found other than the first round. Also giving time to grow can play at a high level . These are reasons you stick with a player and also don't use a #1 pick on a draft. 

This year we can go with Justin one more year and also draft a prospect. Hell Bagent may be that surprise player in a few years. Never count out players that work hard and have a desire to be great. The more shots you have a shot at the brass ring , the better the chance you get a winner. IMO

Anyone that likes Browning , he is a FA this year, he would probably love a team that has questions at QB, where he does have the chance to start. That's  not in Cincinnati .

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Jake Browning had a great game. Went undrafted in 2019. This year is his first year on a roster. A player that worked hard and got better . QBs can be found other than the first round. Also giving time to grow can play at a high level . These are reasons you stick with a player and also don't use a #1 pick on a draft. 

This year we can go with Justin one more year and also draft a prospect. Hell Bagent may be that surprise player in a few years. Never count out players that work hard and have a desire to be great. The more shots you have a shot at the brass ring , the better the chance you get a winner. IMO

Anyone that likes Browning , he is a FA this year, he would probably love a team that has questions at QB, where he does have the chance to start. That's  not in Cincinnati .

One scenario is drafting a QB while keeping Fields, then let the best QB win, if Fields wins, let the rookie sit and learn. If the rookie wins, you trade Fields. 

Another scenario is to bring in a FA to compete with Fields. Browning would be interesting because he has the pedigree. He just wasn't highly sought after, similar to Purdy.

1 minute ago, adam said:

One scenario is drafting a QB while keeping Fields, then let the best QB win, if Fields wins, let the rookie sit and learn. If the rookie wins, you trade Fields. 

Another scenario is to bring in a FA to compete with Fields. Browning would be interesting because he has the pedigree. He just wasn't highly sought after, similar to Purdy.

I've been saying that for some time. Hedge your bet on Fields and also develop a QB in the process. I think that is the best situation for us to win going forward. Fields is smart and has a great attitude , no way his ego is crushed if you bring in another QB to compete. It may help him to become a better QB.   

3 minutes ago, adam said:

And if Fields balls out, you can trade the young gun.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

I don't like this one as much.  It just seems like a dick move.  I just see the team saying, ah hell nah...