Bears Defense

adam

22 minutes ago, adam said:

Brisker had the most tackles in a game by a DB for the Bears since the 1960s.

Next yr with more depth and another pass rusher, this defense will be top 5 in the league. In passing and rushing defense we are only trailing SF in league stats at this point in the league. I think one of the top 2 picks in the next draft will be a pass rusher. We could take the top choice even after a trade back. We have to bring back JJ even if its the transition tag. Justin Jones is playing well right now, I can see him brought back on a team friendly deal. Color EJAC gone, I thin he is the weak link in the D backfield right now. I think we can get a FS in free agency w/o a big contract to replace him.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, adam said:

On the flip side, they allowed Flacco to throw for over 200 yards in the 4th quarter, and still allowed a terrible Cleveland offense to score 20 pts.

they were getting tired, and momentum is a real thing. When your offense sucks its hard to keep taking it all on your shoulders. If the offense was lighting it up, the defense would roll even more.

and also, you know Eberlose gets all weird with the play calls in the second half of the 4th quarter.

17 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

they were getting tired, and momentum is a real thing. When your offense sucks its hard to keep taking it all on your shoulders. If the offense was lighting it up, the defense would roll even more.

and also, you know Eberlose gets all weird with the play calls in the second half of the 4th quarter.

Very true but when they go into prevent that puts a ton of responsibility on your safeties in coverage and unfortunately both of the Bears safeties are terrible in coverage. Brisker is great in the box, but once he is in space he gets exposed. He was involved in both TDs against and Jackson was the one allowing the two other huge chunk plays.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Very true but when they go into prevent that puts a ton of responsibility on your safeties in coverage and unfortunately both of the Bears safeties are terrible in coverage. Brisker is great in the box, but once he is in space he gets exposed. He was involved in both TDs against and Jackson was the one allowing the two other huge chunk plays.

yeah, and EJax is gone after this year too.

16 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

We have been glowing about the Bears Defense lately, but they really haven't faced many starting QBs either since their turn around.  Maybe Goff, but against Mahomes and Herbert, they were handled. Is the D really as good as we think? They seem to get exposed when it matters most too. 

Theyre definitely improving, full of young ascending players, and we will add a few more this offseason.

So right now are they the best defense in the NFL, nah. But they're way improved over the beginning of the year and they are starting to put games together where they play well together too. And the 4th quarter let downs on defense and offense are about poor coaching and playcalling I think more than the roster.

So right now? Still getting it together. But next year? Top 5 I think. The arrow is pointing way up.

32 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Theyre definitely improving, full of young ascending players, and we will add a few more this offseason.

So right now are they the best defense in the NFL, nah. But they're way improved over the beginning of the year and they are starting to put games together where they play well together too. And the 4th quarter let downs on defense and offense are about poor coaching and playcalling I think more than the roster.

So right now? Still getting it together. But next year? Top 5 I think. The arrow is pointing way up.

I agree with everything you said, we are in the building process , we are not there yet.

39 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree they are pointing up and looking like a potential top 5-10 unit.  Detroit was their biggest test imo.  If Eberflus gets the boot, I wonder what they might look like under different a coaching philosophy. 

10 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I agree they are pointing up and looking like a potential top 5-10 unit.  Detroit was their biggest test imo.  If Eberflus gets the boot, I wonder what they might look like under different a coaching philosophy. 

If I thought the defensive success was due to Eberflus' coaching, I'd agree. But he's pretty vanilla, and if you see how the defense crumbles at the end of each game, where game long coaching adjustments have been being conceived, then i think it says that Eberflus isnt really why the defense looks so good.

I think we look good because we have a good young roster thats getting better every week. I put it on the players. Any good DC should be fine with this group!

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be very interesting to see how good Dexter becomes next season.  He's starting to move grown men around like pylons.   I'm not sure why he's not getting more snaps yet.  During the AZ game I didn't even notice the play where he lined up at DE and rushed the passer, pretty effectively too.  Against the Falcons he got the call for the stunts as the man to loop around free.  I'm sure he's done that before but with his power I expected he'd be more likely the one asked to take the dive inside to try to tie up 2 Oline.  It's clear the team is starting to view him as key chess piece and it's paying off with QB pressures and sacks. 

42 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

It's going to be very interesting to see how good Dexter becomes next season.  He's starting to move grown men around like pylons.   I'm not sure why he's not getting more snaps yet.  During the AZ game I didn't even notice the play where he lined up at DE and rushed the passer, pretty effectively too.  Against the Falcons he got the call for the stunts as the man to loop around free.  I'm sure he's done that before but with his power I expected he'd be more likely the one asked to take the dive inside to try to tie up 2 Oline.  It's clear the team is starting to view him as key chess piece and it's paying off with QB pressures and sacks.

Yeah he is looking great - and he was such a different player in college, you really have to give Poles props for seeing it, and whoever has been working with him on the coaching staff. A real diamond in the rough, not so rough anymore.

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Dexter has a lot of work to do.  An off season of chasing chickens would do miracles for his career.  The more they can do to loosen his hips the better.  He has God given country strength and he relies on it to make plays.  That is definitely good enough to be a solid piece of the puzzle.  He also plays with his pads square to the line of scrimmage, ass he rarely gets turned.  That is great in the run game.  If he can adapt to sinking his hips and getting off quicker, sky is the limit.  Some people can't do it while others can..  If he can't, I'd have him gain 15 pounds and become a 1T that can generate pressure. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Dexter has a lot of work to do.  An off season of chasing chickens would do miracles for his career.  The more they can do to loosen his hips the better.  He has God given country strength and he relies on it to make plays.  That is definitely good enough to be a solid piece of the puzzle.  He also plays with his pads square to the line of scrimmage, ass he rarely gets turned.  That is great in the run game.  If he can adapt to sinking his hips and getting off quicker, sky is the limit.  Some people can't do it while others can..  If he can't, I'd have him gain 15 pounds and become a 1T that can generate pressure. 

I can see us drafting a pass rusher like Bralan Trice, big, strong , never stop motor to pair with Sweat, great against the run and setting the edge and also some pass rush contributions. He is rated as a early second round.