Bears Defense

adam

Some fairly impressive numbers from the Bears defense. In general, they are clearly better than last year and have improved even more since players got healthy and the acquisition of Sweat. Both Sweat and Edwards are playing at Pro Bowl levels.

• #1 against the Run (79 yds/game)
  • #3 Interceptions (13)
  • #9 Total Yards Allowed (318 yds/game)
  • #11 Turnovers (20)
  • #16 Passes Defended (50)
  • #19 Defensive DVOA (last season they finished #32)
  • #22 against the Pass (248yds/game)
  • TJ Edwards #2 in tackles (125), also has 2 sacks, 2 INT, and 1 FF
  • Jaylon Johnson #7T in interceptions (3)
  • Montez Sweat #12 in sacks (9), (4g, 2.5 sacks, 6 QB Hits, 2 TFL, team is allowing only 17.25 pts per game since his arrival.)
  • Dexter looks to be improving with more snaps
  • Brisker and Gordon are finally making plays
  • Jackson is gone, he just floats deep in the secondary and is not worth the cap hit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knock Flus all you want as a head coach but going from worst run defense last year to top in the league is a huge turnabout. Poles gets kudos for adding more bodies to get where we are at. We are seeing more pressure on the QB and now the TOs are starting to pop. We are another 3T and edge away from a dominate defense. Jackson isnt even playing well, color him gone. Getting a new FS will be a key this offseason.

16 minutes ago, adam said:

Some fairly impressive numbers from the Bears defense. In general, they are clearly better than last year and have improved even more since players got healthy and the acquisition of Sweat. Both Sweat and Edwards are playing at Pro Bowl levels.

• #1 against the Run (79 yds/game)
  • #3 Interceptions (13)
  • #9 Total Yards Allowed (318 yds/game)
  • #11 Turnovers (20)
  • #16 Passes Defended (50)
  • #19 Defensive DVOA (last season they finished #32)
  • #22 against the Pass (248yds/game)
  • TJ Edwards #2 in tackles (125), also has 2 sacks, 2 INT, and 1 FF
  • Jaylon Johnson #7T in interceptions (3)
  • Montez Sweat #12 in sacks (9), (4g, 2.5 sacks, 6 QB Hits, 2 TFL, team is allowing only 17.25 pts per game since his arrival.)
  • Dexter looks to be improving with more snaps
  • Brisker and Gordon are finally making plays
  • Jackson is gone, he just floats deep in the secondary and is not worth the cap hit

This - Flus has got the defense trending in the right direction, big time.  I have to acknowledge that and it stinks the offense looks so putrid.  I honestly think if they hadn't blown those 2 leads, I would be leaning towards keeping him and finding a different playcaller. The problem is - than the Bears are putting themselves in the spot where your HC and QB are not on the same cadence (if the Bears were to draft a QB).  And I just don't like the scenario where the team is a year from now saying, we DON'T have our QB and we literally went 2 years with top 3 picks and passed on the most important position in the league.  

Its a real tough spot - because I do really like the direction of the defense and if I squint and see some more draft picks, a big free agent investment (say the Vikings Dlinemen), resigning Jaylon, and continued growth out of our secondary and young DT's and I see a defense trending towards top end (which is great to see).  I'd probably also add - one of those picks should be a young safety to play next to Brisker.   

15 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Knock Flus all you want as a head coach but going from worst run defense last year to top in the league is a huge turnabout. Poles gets kudos for adding more bodies to get where we are at. We are seeing more pressure on the QB and now the TOs are starting to pop. We are another 3T and edge away from a dominate defense. Jackson isnt even playing well, color him gone. Getting a new FS will be a key this offseason.

He is a terrible HC, but his defense is somehow working. Poles should get credit as the defense's worst starter is probably Justin Jones, and he is at least serviceable. If they can get an upgrade at DT, DE2, and at safety to replace Jackson, this defense should be top 10 across the board for the foreseeable future.

9 minutes ago, adam said:

He is a terrible HC, but his defense is somehow working. Poles should get credit as the defense's worst starter is probably Justin Jones, and he is at least serviceable. If they can get an upgrade at DT, DE2, and at safety to replace Jackson, this defense should be top 10 across the board for the foreseeable future.

I have to give Flus credit as well though.  Since he has taken over the defense just looks different and we are seeing young players develop. Stevenson and Smith are developing young players, the young DT's are improving and trending up. Edwards is just a beast and seems to have fit into this defense perfectly (credit to Poles too) and obviously Sanborn is a solid, cheap, 2 down player.  Jaylon Johnson is trending up and despite the blip around the trade deadline is trending in right direction too.  

If the Bears could somehow shift Flus to a DC role while bringing in a new HC, I would be ecstatic LOL.  He really is a well above average DC in my mind and I like the wrinkles he applies to the base Cover-2.  It is also this development that gives me more confidence in Poles as a GM too (cause you are starting to see Edmunds playing faster and I expect that will only improve with Sweat here and Edmunds getting more comfortable in the system and also healthier).  

1 hour ago, adam said:

I agree. Poles has done a great job stocking the defense. I think the defense is succeeding despite the playcalling, and not because of it. GIven the soft zones weve been in to lose games at the end, I cant really share the optimism on Flus, but yes the defensive roster is looking pretty good, and I see good things ahead for the D.

24 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I would hate to be Poles this off season making the right decisions on which way to go with HC and QB. They're several options and something to say for every option. 

What I do know is he will have a new center, a swing T,  a FS, another edge and 3T.

QB is easy.  If you aren’t convinced Fields is the answer just hedge your bet and draft another one.  Let them compete.   He’s got Fields locked up for two more seasons if he wants him. the only downside is the opportunity cost because it likely means bypassing MHJr.  There are other good options among the WR and TE with Bowers that can help.   

1 minute ago, AZ54 said:

QB is easy.  If you aren’t convinced Fields is the answer just hedge your bet and draft another one.  Let them compete.   He’s got Fields locked up for two more seasons if he wants him. the only downside is the opportunity cost because it likely means bypassing MHJr.  There are other good options among the WR and TE with Bowers that can help.   

Been saying the same thing lately. If the last 6 games are lacking, move on. If there is still hope, keep him and draft a prospect. It would suck to cut him loose and choose a top 2 QB and it not work out then Justin becomes who he has the talent to be. 

Another thing I saw was in 2025, if it's a QB drafted at #1,  the pay goes up to 21 mil a year. I need to check if that's true but someone posted that information on X. I know X isn't the most reliable source for information.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:46 PM, Stinger226 said:

I found where the top pick in 2024 draft gets 8 mil a yr , day 1 but cant find where the money is in future drafts. That's 2 mil more than Fields 4 th year salary. ( if i read all of that right. )  Does anyone have that info? 

Stroud is basically $7.5M, so $8M makes sense:

https://boardroom.tv/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-by-round-2023/

I don't think next year is the issue with Fields' contract, it becomes the 5th Year option year and or any future years that would overlap a new rookie's deal (2025-2028). In those years, you have to take out 2-3 vets making $10M a year. Right now that is actually easy (Whitehair, Jackson), and maybe in a year or two (Edmunds, Davis). So there is a path to keeping the team mostly intact, but Fields has to play at a level that can overcome the losses of the players his salary would replace. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

I don't think next year is the issue with Fields' contract, it becomes the 5th Year option year and or any future years that would overlap a new rookie's deal (2025-2028). In those years, you have to take out 2-3 vets making $10M a year. Right now that is actually easy (Whitehair, Jackson), and maybe in a year or two (Edmunds, Davis). So there is a path to keeping the team mostly intact, but Fields has to play at a level that can overcome the losses of the players his salary would replace. 

They have a cheap LT, DBs once Jackson is gone . ( If JJ) doesnt come back. They have  the room to keep him if need be. 

Poles:  Jaylon, we're placing the transition tag on you.  But first, I'm going to give you this one time offer.  You can choose to accept or be tagged.  If your tag value is down with other teams, this offer goes down with it.  Please remember that teams can't outbid us, so they really won't try as hard as you may think.  We want you to be a Bear for life.

7 hours ago, adam said:

Except the Bears have to decide on the 5th year option by May of the coming year. That's the problem. And if you dont exercise it, then Fields is unhappy and might hold out for a trade. And then youre trading him anyway, but after the draft when there are no suitors or available draft picks and the value is lowest.

They pretty much have to make the decision on Fields this year before the draft.

The NFL draft is April 25th. They will have work done on the draft and if they dont get there guy, then  they can pick up his 5th year. If they trade Fields it will during the draft. Then if they dont will surely give him the option. They could target a QB , not with the first pick and if they dont get the QB prospect  they want. just bring Justin back.

14 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Except the Bears have to decide on the 5th year option by May of the coming year. That's the problem. And if you dont exercise it, then Fields is unhappy and might hold out for a trade. And then youre trading him anyway, but after the draft when there are no suitors or available draft picks and the value is lowest.

They pretty much have to make the decision on Fields this year before the draft.

I think they will already know what they are going to do when they decide what they are going to do with the #1 pick (assuming they get it). If they trade it, we know what they are doing. If they keep it, we won't know Fields fate until draft day. I don't think they will let the decision go to the 5th year option decision date. 

39 minutes ago, adam said:

I think they will already know what they are going to do when they decide what they are going to do with the #1 pick (assuming they get it). If they trade it, we know what they are doing. If they keep it, we won't know Fields fate until draft day. I don't think they will let the decision go to the 5th year option decision date. 

We have all of this conversation and if we don't get either of the first 2 picks, totally a different story.

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Adrian Amos released by the Jets.  And allegedly picked up by the Pack on their PS.  Amos and Brisker in the defensive backfield (Penn State alums)?  🤔🤔

This post brought to you by Makers Mark.  🥃🥃

IMG_6020.jpeg

Jets in full tank mode, releasing all one-year contract vets.

Finally players getting better, Flus actually being more aggressive. Poles was smart for building a good DB backfield and now a pass rusher.  you hold the second ranked offense to 13 points that's worth a shot of tequila. You resign JJ and add another pass rusher and this kind of thing will happen weekly.