Will Flus stay or go!

OmahaBear

36 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

His plan was not for two years, why does everyone think a GM that is rebuilding through the draft is going to get that done in 2 years, that's silly. Next year is the year of judgement. 

I'm more than good with Poles.  The effort and execution in two games against our rival damns the heck outta Flus.  We played better against better.  With Mother McCaskey just turning 101, the clock is beyond ticking.  I envision a house cleaning below Poles...

7 hours ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

He'll stay because they'll use the defensive improvement and win total increase as justification to bring him back, even though they had one of the easiest schedules in football and had only one quality win against a good team all year.

Saw a report from a supposedly credible guy who noted the Bears are pushing for Jim Harbaugh, but would pivot back to Eberflus if he goes somewhere else.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-latest-jim-harbaugh-nfl-one-team-cold-michigan-hc-bides-time

This is something I wondered. Would bears make a quiet and quick push for a big name vet. If they don’t like what it looks like than they stay put. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This is something I wondered. Would bears make a quiet and quick push for a big name vet. If they don’t like what it looks like than they stay put. 

one way or another, theres no particular reason to fire Eberflus immediately if you dont have to. You might still be 100% moving on from him, and waiting for the right candidate to sign etc, but its good practice to keep your bases covered until you dont have to. i wouldnt assume that if he isnt fired this week it means he is staying, but I also wouldnt be surprised if they find a new candidate quickly if thats what theyre looking for.

The wild card (no pun intended) is coaches that the Bears could be interested in but cant pursue yet because their teams are in the playoffs.

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

one way or another, theres no particular reason to fire Eberflus immediately if you dont have to. You might still be 100% moving on from him, and waiting for the right candidate to sign etc, but its good practice to keep your bases covered until you dont have to. i wouldnt assume that if he isnt fired this week it means he is staying, but I also wouldnt be surprised if they find a new candidate quickly if thats what theyre looking for.

The wild card (no pun intended) is coaches that the Bears could be interested in but cant pursue yet because their teams are in the playoffs.

This is a very unique situation we are in where none of us really know what Warren and Poles are planning, or thinking of doing with the staff, with Fields, the draft etc.  There are so many scenarios that could play out this offseason, and all of which have their own risks and potential rewards.  

Run it all back, keep Flus, Getsy, Fields, et al.  Possibly add a DC (Riviera?) that knows the cover 2 scheme.  Trade the #1 overall pick and either target MHJ or see what hall you can get for the pick to build around Fields, and upgrade both lines.  Maintain continuity and see if next year with added talent and another year in the system puts us where we want to be.  The risk being the potential to miss out on better coaches to get more out of the talent we have, and possibly watching a QB or two we pass on becoming the next big thing.

Keep Flus, fire Getsy, trade fields, draft QB #1 overall or even trade down a spot or two but still take QB with our top pick.  This would be a soft reset on the offensive side of the ball.  We use our remaining draft capitol and FA to build around the young QB.  OC choice would be critical, and would need to be someone who can develop an offensive system around the new QB.  Also targeting a solid vet QB in FA would be key as well to help mentor the rookie.  We enter next season knowing the offense will likely struggle early. 

Clean house.  Flus gone, Getsy gone, etc.   Hire new HC, who brings in his own DC, and based on whether he thinks can get the full potential out of Fields or wants to draft a new QB means we either trade the #1 pick or use it on a QB. This would likely either be decided based on who the new HC has in mind for the OC or who he brings in as the OC.

As deflating as yesterday's loss was, there has been growth this season as a team.  Is it enough to run it all back next year and give this group one last chance to either prove they can take the next steps and get us over the hump?   Three things were obvious to my eyes watching that game.  One was on defense, there was no aggressiveness in the play calling or scheme, we didn't attack the line of scrimmage and we played soft in the back end.  We made Jordan Love's job easy and made him look like an All Star QB (which of course the broadcasters spared now time in gushing over him).  There were WR's and TE's running free all over for easy pitch and catch all day.  Two Getsy reverted to bad play calling, trying to be cute (example 4th and 1 starting in shotgun then running to the line to nearly botch a QB sneak that we probably made by the thickness of a credit card).  He has been too inconsistent all season long.  The majority of the season he's been playing checkers against DC's playing 3D Chess.  The players themselves didn't show up.  Defensively we didn't cover well, we didn't tackle, we didn't get after Love, we didn't stop the run.  Offensively.... what offense?   The effort wasn't there.  We coached and played like a team whose head was already in the offseason and didn't really care if we won or lost.  Contrast to GB who played like a team whose post season was on the line.  They came to play, and we didn't.  

Where do we go from here who the hell knows.  The positive is we have options, we have the #1 and I believe the #9 in the first round.  So we have two top 10 picks that we can either use or trade to increase our draft capital to put us in a position to really shape this team for the foreseeable future.  We have a roster that has a lot of good talent on it young and old.  This would be a coveted landing spot for a HC to come into.  With this roster, draft position, and cap space, this is a team that could see a sustainable jump to become a perennial playoff caliber team if done right.  

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

This is a very unique situation we are in where none of us really know what Warren and Poles are planning, or thinking of doing with the staff, with Fields, the draft etc.  There are so many scenarios that could play out this offseason, and all of which have their own risks and potential rewards.  

Run it all back, keep Flus, Getsy, Fields, et al.  Possibly add a DC (Riviera?) that knows the cover 2 scheme.  Trade the #1 overall pick and either target MHJ or see what hall you can get for the pick to build around Fields, and upgrade both lines.  Maintain continuity and see if next year with added talent and another year in the system puts us where we want to be.  The risk being the potential to miss out on better coaches to get more out of the talent we have, and possibly watching a QB or two we pass on becoming the next big thing.

Keep Flus, fire Getsy, trade fields, draft QB #1 overall or even trade down a spot or two but still take QB with our top pick.  This would be a soft reset on the offensive side of the ball.  We use our remaining draft capitol and FA to build around the young QB.  OC choice would be critical, and would need to be someone who can develop an offensive system around the new QB.  Also targeting a solid vet QB in FA would be key as well to help mentor the rookie.  We enter next season knowing the offense will likely struggle early. 

Clean house.  Flus gone, Getsy gone, etc.   Hire new HC, who brings in his own DC, and based on whether he thinks can get the full potential out of Fields or wants to draft a new QB means we either trade the #1 pick or use it on a QB. This would likely either be decided based on who the new HC has in mind for the OC or who he brings in as the OC.

As deflating as yesterday's loss was, there has been growth this season as a team.  Is it enough to run it all back next year and give this group one last chance to either prove they can take the next steps and get us over the hump?   Three things were obvious to my eyes watching that game.  One was on defense, there was no aggressiveness in the play calling or scheme, we didn't attack the line of scrimmage and we played soft in the back end.  We made Jordan Love's job easy and made him look like an All Star QB (which of course the broadcasters spared now time in gushing over him).  There were WR's and TE's running free all over for easy pitch and catch all day.  Two Getsy reverted to bad play calling, trying to be cute (example 4th and 1 starting in shotgun then running to the line to nearly botch a QB sneak that we probably made by the thickness of a credit card).  He has been too inconsistent all season long.  The majority of the season he's been playing checkers against DC's playing 3D Chess.  The players themselves didn't show up.  Defensively we didn't cover well, we didn't tackle, we didn't get after Love, we didn't stop the run.  Offensively.... what offense?   The effort wasn't there.  We coached and played like a team whose head was already in the offseason and didn't really care if we won or lost.  Contrast to GB who played like a team whose post season was on the line.  They came to play, and we didn't.  

Where do we go from here who the hell knows.  The positive is we have options, we have the #1 and I believe the #9 in the first round.  So we have two top 10 picks that we can either use or trade to increase our draft capital to put us in a position to really shape this team for the foreseeable future.  We have a roster that has a lot of good talent on it young and old.  This would be a coveted landing spot for a HC to come into.  With this roster, draft position, and cap space, this is a team that could see a sustainable jump to become a perennial playoff caliber team if done right.  

There's another option, keep Flus, fire Getsy and bring back Fields then draft a prospect . Lots of different options for Poles, all tough decisions. 

Just now, Stinger226 said:

There's another option, keep Flus, fire Getsy and bring back Fields then draft a prospect . Lots of different options for Poles, all tough decisions. 

Yes there are way more options than I listed.  I just picked 3.  If you keep Flus, fire Getsy, keep Fields and draft a prospect, the OC becomes the most critical move.  You can't bring in another OC who wants to turn Fields into a pure pocket passer.  It has to be a guy who can tailor the offense to Fields' strengths rather than square peg in a round hole.  Getsy has proven to be stubborn, and suffers from smartest guy in the room syndrome.  He tends to try and get cute rather than do the smart thing and it fools no one.  He's had games where he has done a better job with his play calling but, if he stays do you get the that guy or the guy who thinks a screen pass on 3rd and long is a high percentage play?

10 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

Yes there are way more options than I listed.  I just picked 3.  If you keep Flus, fire Getsy, keep Fields and draft a prospect, the OC becomes the most critical move.  You can't bring in another OC who wants to turn Fields into a pure pocket passer.  It has to be a guy who can tailor the offense to Fields' strengths rather than square peg in a round hole.  Getsy has proven to be stubborn, and suffers from smartest guy in the room syndrome.  He tends to try and get cute rather than do the smart thing and it fools no one.  He's had games where he has done a better job with his play calling but, if he stays do you get the that guy or the guy who thinks a screen pass on 3rd and long is a high percentage play?

Good coaches design an offense to fit the traits of a  player, Getsy isn't A good coach. Big part of the problem.

3 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

yeah and it's not even about yesterdays loss. I always thought it was foolish to keep thinking the decision would be about the last game. I think that came from people who kept hoping they would turn it around, and just ran out of games.

The thing is, in the NFL, you dont need to be bad to be fired. Simply average is good enough to get you fired. Youre looking for people, especially at QB and coach, who are difference makers. You dont survive in spite of them, you win because of them. I didnt see anything from either Flus or Fields that told me they were clear difference makers.

I dont know why we want to hold on to either of them. The best argument for keeping Fields is the draft pick haul of trading down the #1 pick. Or a set of excuses that it wasnt his fault. No one can make the argument that Fields was actually a positive difference maker himself.

Same with Eberflus. It was the growth of the players on the roster and the addition of Montez Sweat that made the difference.

Time and again we got outcoached. Poor game management. Poor situational football. Hell we had three historically bad losses after losing big leads with chickenshit playcalling.

This is not haterade, it's a fair analysis of how bad we've been.

It's like playing 5 card draw, and you've got 2, 4, 7, 9 and Q. What could you lose by trading some cards in for the unknown? its not like youve got anything in your hand worth keeping.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah and it's not even about yesterdays loss. I always thought it was foolish to keep thinking the decision would be about the last game. I think that came from people who kept hoping they would turn it around, and just ran out of games.

The thing is, in the NFL, you dont need to be bad to be fired. Simply average is good enough to get you fired. Youre looking for people, especially at QB and coach, who are difference makers. You dont survive in spite of them, you win because of them. I didnt see anything from either Flus or Fields that told me they were clear difference makers.

I dont know why we want to hold on to either of them. The best argument for keeping Fields is the draft pick haul of trading down the #1 pick. Or a set of excuses that it wasnt his fault. No one can make the argument that Fields was actually a positive difference maker himself.

Same with Eberflus. It was the growth of the players on the roster and the addition of Montez Sweat that made the difference.

Time and again we got outcoached. Poor game management. Poor situational football. Hell we had three historically bad losses after losing big leads with chickenshit playcalling.

This is not haterade, it's a fair analysis of how bad we've been.

It's like playing 5 card draw, and you've got 2, 4, 7, 9 and Q. What could you lose by trading some cards in for the unknown? its not like youve got anything in your hand worth keeping.

Spot on. Sad, but ver accurate analysis.

1 hour ago, OmahaBear said:

The wait is suspenseful.  Keep checking espn for some news. 😂

yeah there's what they SHOULD do, and then what they WILL do.

Bears gonna Bears.

Please prove me wrong Warren! Everyone wants you to be different!

14 hours ago, OmahaBear said:

The wait is suspenseful.  Keep checking espn for some news. 😂

Flus spent 9 hours doing exit reviews with players yesterday, does that sound like a job you give someone who's being fired? I don't think he's leaving, hopefully Getsy is gone but you never know. Dave Wannsted thinks everyone is coming  back especially after not getting fired yesterday. There's no advantage to waiting to fire coaches, it impedes getting the best talent.

The obvious move is to let Getsy go. But the fact that no news has been announced yet gives me a smidget of hope that they believe they can reel Harbaugh in. Once we here that Getsy has been let go, it's safe to say that Flus returns for 2024 and some other lucky franchise has hired Jim Harbaugh. Bears will be Bears. 

Man, I really think Harbaugh would be insane to return to the NFL in 2024. Next Year? Maybe? In Ann Arbor he is king. Freshmen clamor to shine his shoes. Everyone on and off campus treats him as a celebrity. He is head coach for his alma mater. National Champions! More importantly, I believe he was just offered 120 million to coach for the next ten years, with the understanding he doesn't entertain returning to the NFL in 2024. That is more than the insane contract given Gruden by the Raiders. The going price would empty Fort Knox to get him to jump this year.

Edit:

I was wrong, it was 125 Million. Here is what I found in a Google search:

Michigan is already working hard to retain Harbaugh's services. The university has reportedly presented Harbaugh with a contract extension that would make him the highest-paid coach in the sport, promising a $125 million salary spread over 10 years.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Flus spent 9 hours doing exit reviews with players yesterday, does that sound like a job you give someone who's being fired? I don't think he's leaving, hopefully Getsy is gone but you never know. Dave Wannsted thinks everyone is coming  back especially after not getting fired yesterday. There's no advantage to waiting to fire coaches, it impedes getting the best talent.

If I'm a coach, I want to perform the exit interviews out of loyalty to the players and the two years of work I just put in.  Firing Flus is not like firing a guy that's had factory job for twenty years.  Being a highly paid professional comes with a responsibility and privilege that must can't comprehend. So, the answer to your question is hell yes.

Moving on to delayed firing of coaches, the Titans just fired Vrabel after he gave his interviews.  I don't want to start the Harbaugh rumors, but maybe they are waiting for him, before they decide on Flus.  If Flus were a sure thing, Poles would have made that clear by now.

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

If I'm a coach, I want to perform the exit interviews out of loyalty to the players and the two years of work I just put in.  Firing Flus is not like firing a guy that's had factory job for twenty years.  Being a highly paid professional comes with a responsibility and privilege that must can't comprehend. So, the answer to your question is hell yes.

Moving on to delayed firing of coaches, the Titans just fired Vrabel after he gave his interviews.  I don't want to start the Harbaugh rumors, but maybe they are waiting for him, before they decide on Flus.  If Flus were a sure thing, Poles would have made that clear by now.

Let just say, IMO , I think he's staying, I'm not a soothsayer  , I think signs say stay, God knows I wrong a lot.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Man, I really think Harbaugh would be insane to return to the NFL in 2024. Next Year? Maybe? In Ann Arbor he is king. Freshmen clamor to shine his shoes. Everyone on and off campus treats him as a celebrity. He is head coach for his alma mater. National Champions! More importantly, I believe he was just offered 120 million to coach for the next ten years, with the understanding he doesn't entertain returning to the NFL in 2024. That is more than the insane contract given Gruden by the Raiders. The going price would empty Fort Knox to get him to jump this year.

Edit:

I was wrong, it was 125 Million. Here is what I found in a Google search:

Yeah I saw this information some time back.  And what's funny  about it is I think Michigan had an original offer on the table for one (?) year and $12-15 million but pulled it when he got suspended the second time this year.  

19 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

20 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Vrabel got fired on the second day of off-season, they didn't seem to think waiting was an advantage to doing it. Maybe Flus gets fired today but the longer it goes the more likely he's going to be here. 

22 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Factory workers, especially me, take offense at that.  It's complete ignorance to think the only professionals are those making millions of dollars.  You have no clue what people have to do in their personal life when they are on call 24x7x365 year after year.  Being a "lowly paid" professional takes a lot more effort to guarantee your future than someone who has enough guaranteed money they never have to work another day in their life.  The vast majority of the professionals I've worked with would absolutely come in for a similar scenario because I've known many managers who did it for layoffs when they themselves were also laid off. 

In the end you proved correct... most people can't comprehend what it means to be a professional nor do they understand what it means to have class in how you treat other people.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Factory workers, especially me, take offense at that.  It's complete ignorance to think the only professionals are those making millions of dollars.  You have no clue what people have to do in their personal life when they are on call 24x7x365 year after year. 

After this, I had read what I wrote again.  I can see how you took it wrong.  The intention was to show that a fired NFL coach is not affected as deeply as a career factory worker, due to how much money they make.  It's just a softer landing.  And in that profession certain protocol is required, upon exit, if future employment is desired.

Side note:  I don't look down upon anyone that works any job to feed their family. I am a retired/disabled factory worker.  Being on my feet for thirty years, on a concrete floor, landed me with 7 ruptured discs and inflammation in my blood stream.  So, I get it.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Man, I really think Harbaugh would be insane to return to the NFL in 2024.

He would command top dollar in the NFL and it is far less work.  He's 60, so he may be weary of it.

College head coaches are the GM and head coach.  Plus, they go straight from the season to full time recruiting.  After all that fun, they get to answer to a 100 sets of parents, athletic director, school president, boosters and the press.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

After this, I had read what I wrote again.  I can see how you took it wrong.  The intention was to show that a fired NFL coach is not affected as deeply as a career factory worker, due to how much money they make.  It's just a softer landing.  And in that profession certain protocol is required, upon exit, if future employment is desired.

Side note:  I don't look down upon anyone that works any job to feed their family. I am a retired/disabled factory worker.  Being on my feet for thirty years, on a concrete floor, landed me with 7 ruptured discs and inflammation in my blood stream.  So, I get it.

Plumbing my whole life got me a broken body, 2 fake knees, 2 fake hips. 3 herniated discs and a broken neck. Yet I have a nice life. Working out everyday, yoga  daily and activity. 

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He would command top dollar in the NFL and it is far less work.  He's 60, so he may be weary of it.

College head coaches are the GM and head coach.  Plus, they go straight from the season to full time recruiting.  After all that fun, they get to answer to a 100 sets of parents, athletic director, school president, boosters and the press.

Plus, at some point you have enough money, and it's the competitive fire in you that drives you - like winning a Super Bowl for the team you used to play for.