The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I think because you don't want Justin here, you look at things from that point of view. There's been no info put out there leaning one way or another coming from Poles.

RIght. ANd if Poles respects Justin as his QB1, then he'd have said something about that in order to respect Justin. In fact, he has said that in order to "do right by Justin" he's trying to get things resolved as fast as possible. Well if you know youre keeping Justin as your QB1, then you could just announce that.

So to me that says they are at least trying to trade him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

So to me that says they are at least trying to trade him

Or trying to keep other teams (and “experts” like Shefter) guessing.  Who knows, maybe Fields is aware with all that is going on behind the scenes (I like a good conspiracy).  

Committing themselves one way or the other helps other teams with appropriate leverage to negotiate to their favor. On the surface Poles appears to be playing Kasparov level chess.  And from my military days what is known as Psy-ops. 

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

right, so Chicago is iffy at best on keeping Justin at QB1. Thats all Im saying. Chicago hasnt been telling everyone that they love Justin and want to trade the #1 pick down. Theyve been acting like theyre looking to move Justin. I dont think thats a really controversial thing to say?

Even JF doesn't know what the plan is and said he wishes this to get over soon. Poles has said he will be upfront with JF and he would be the first to know. That writing tells me the Bears are open to all scenarios and nothing is being leaked.  If the Bears get a offer they like for either diection, they will move. Poles at the combine said he stays up late running scenarios through his head, undecided.  

Since the locker room is behind JF, Poles has to weigh all aspects and the best route might be holding on to him and drafting CW since the trade cupboard is bare. Get a #2 WR at 9 if a top 3 is there and let the QBs compete.  You have a veteran to let CW grow and the Bears can let JF increase his value. 

6 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Even JF doesn't know what the plan is and said he wishes this to get over soon. Poles has said he will be upfront with JF and he would be the first to know. That writing tells me the Bears are open to all scenarios and nothing is being leaked.  If the Bears get a offer they like for either diection, they will move. Poles at the combine said he stays up late running scenarios through his head, undecided.  

Since the locker room is behind JF, Poles has to weigh all aspects and the best route might be holding on to him and drafting CW since the trade cupboard is bare. Get a #2 WR at 9 if a top 3 is there and let the QBs compete.  You have a veteran to let CW grow and the Bears can let JF increase his value. 

Absolutely. If you can't get value for JF now, roll the dice.

Next year, before the trade deadline, a team will be desperate for a veteran quarterback to take over for their injured quarterback. That would be when we'd get the best return for JF.

18 minutes ago, adam said:

A tale of 2 rumors:

then like 2 hours later:

This is beyond comical at this point.

There's no inside information to Poles. Everything he's done has been unexpected. People just speculating and pretending it's sources. 

Last year we were taking Carter, it didn't happen. His first year, his first two picks were DBs. No one predicted that. He brought in two LBers. No one predicted that. ECT.

52 minutes ago, adam said:

A tale of 2 rumors:

then like 2 hours later:

Well it sure does sell clicks, so expect it to continue. But in reality, the Bears are not keeping Justin unless no one trades for him. Can you imagine how Caleb's camp would feel about keeping a fan favorite around? It's a recipe for royally screwing up what could be the best thing you ever had.

At this point, I can't say that anyone is trading a 3rd or better for Fields. I think they will, but I cant know that. But I do know that keeping Fields into training camp and having him participate is just asking for trouble.

I think Justin's market is fast becoming a backup QB spot somewhere. And I think that says a lot about how he is as a QB. I can't imagine JF would be happy with that on any team including ours. If the Bears keep Fields and draft Williams, I could easily see Justin holding out to demand a trade. Wouldnt you? I would.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Well it sure does sell clicks, so expect it to continue. But in reality, the Bears are not keeping Justin unless no one trades for him. Can you imagine how Caleb's camp would feel about keeping a fan favorite around? It's a recipe for royally screwing up what could be the best thing you ever had.

At this point, I can't say that anyone is trading a 3rd or better for Fields. I think they will, but I cant know that. But I do know that keeping Fields into training camp and having him participate is just asking for trouble.

I think Justin's market is fast becoming a backup QB spot somewhere. And I think that says a lot about how he is as a QB. I can't imagine JF would be happy with that on any team including ours. If the Bears keep Fields and draft Williams, I could easily see Justin holding out to demand a trade. Wouldnt you? I would.

The Packers drafted Love, Arob wasn't happy but didn't demand a trade. You can make a fuss and threats, but that doesn't help anyones case.  CW shouldn't panic or fuss either over competition knowing JF is on his last year. If he cannot handle another QB to compete against or hold a clip board for then is he gonna be man enough to be a Chicago QB? 

17 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Packers drafted Love, Arob wasn't happy but didn't demand a trade. You can make a fuss and threats, but that doesn't help anyones case.  CW shouldn't panic or fuss either over competition knowing JF is on his last year. If he cannot handle another QB to compete against or hold a clip board for then is he gonna be man enough to be a Chicago QB? 

I dont think Caleb would be scared of Fields' competition, I think it's a matter of establishing leadership and respect. You can imagine the locker room might not be so happy about watching Caleb take it from Fields after all weve read about the love for Fields in the locker room - and if this board, or all of Chicago sports talk, is any indication, it's a contentious emotional issue?

And I would imagine Fields would HATE it. I wouldnt be at all surprised if we sign a vet QB to give Caleb a month or two to develop, and I see the logic of keeping Fields since he's under contract, but I dont think hes the guy for that role, so I think he will get traded.

I just talked to a plumber I use to work with and he was in Poles office bathroom repairing the toilet today and over heard Ryan on the phone saying ( that's a bunch crap)

That's all I got but that is true inside information.

4 hours ago, adam said:

A tale of 2 rumors:

then like 2 hours later:

He isn’t staying unless his trade market is awful and he actually chooses to stay and compete with Caleb vs going somewhere else he doesn’t want to be.

It is obvious - Bears are taking a qb in round 1. 

12 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

He isn’t staying unless his trade market is awful and he actually chooses to stay and compete with Caleb vs going somewhere else he doesn’t want to be.

It is obvious - Bears are taking a qb in round 1. 

I think they are too, just not at #1. I think they target JJ McCarthy or Nix or Penix. They sit for a year with a 3 year vet at the reins.

They have added Ryan Bates, Tar Moore/S, brought in Colin Johnson, Patrick Scales is back. .

Poles is adding depth or addressing the fringe players on the roster. On Monday I expect him to bring in one or two targeted players. I predict Curtis Samuel, and Aaron Brewer, neither will be expecting big contracts and get the deal done quickly. I also expect him to bring back Justin Jones.

Lots of Ss out there and he's not paying big money but expect him to bring in a reasonable priced player but that will take a week. Won't get done until after the dust settles from the first wave. 

I think he also addresses a DL player and maybe a RB. Wouldn't it be nice to bring in Tony Pillars as the Third back. Lots of RBs out only a few are getting paid.

18 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

So to me that says they are at least trying to trade him.

While I agree he will be traded, Poles has stated that someone would have to blow him away.  Did that happen yet?  Untill pro days pass, he can't be convinced, especially when Caleb hasn't provided a physical.

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont think Caleb would be scared of Fields' competition, I think it's a matter of establishing leadership and respect. You can imagine the locker room might not be so happy about watching Caleb take it from Fields after all weve read about the love for Fields in the locker room - and if this board, or all of Chicago sports talk, is any indication, it's a contentious emotional issue?

And I would imagine Fields would HATE it. I wouldnt be at all surprised if we sign a vet QB to give Caleb a month or two to develop, and I see the logic of keeping Fields since he's under contract, but I dont think hes the guy for that role, so I think he will get traded.

I see it the other way around with the locker room and fans.  Once CW gets playing time and everyone sees his ability, the feelings will change.  JF won't be unprofessional, heck, he might light it up knowing his time is coming to an end. Then come trade deadline and the demand will be higher.  

I don't want the Bears to lose value in him. There is a way to increase it if it doesn't happen by the draft.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

The Bears hosted Kevin Byard yesterday.

Does he have anything left in the tank?

I read he is on the downside of his career at age 30? 

Also, cut for salary cap reasons? What will he demand?

With all of the safeties hitting FA, surely there must be a young stud on the rise.

49 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

While I agree he will be traded, Poles has stated that someone would have to blow him away.  Did that happen yet?  Untill pro days pass, he can't be convinced, especially when Caleb hasn't provided a physical.

I think the "blow him away" comment was about pick #1 not Justin?

56 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Correct.  Decision on 1 has to come before decision on Justin.

ah I see what youre saying. Youre saying if someone blows him away with a trade down from #1 he'd keep Justin.

I think if he trades down it will be only to #2 or #3 and he'll draft a rookie QB anyway. But having watched film, i think Williams is the clear best one in the draft.

I watched game tape on Maye too, and his accuracy is all over the place, One minute he's throwing a beautiful ball and the next hes way off. He's also young, and so he may be able to correct those things in time too.

I just see Caleb as the total package, and someone we can actually contend for superbowls (more than one!) with.

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

ah I see what youre saying. Youre saying if someone blows him away with a trade down from #1 he'd keep Justin.

I think if he trades down it will be only to #2 or #3 and he'll draft a rookie QB anyway. But having watched film, i think Williams is the clear best one in the draft.

I watched game tape on Maye too, and his accuracy is all over the place, One minute he's throwing a beautiful ball and the next hes way off. He's also young, and so he may be able to correct those things in time too.

I just see Caleb as the total package, and someone we can actually contend for superbowls (more than one!) with.

No.  Poles said he'd have to be blown away by a QB prospect before he would replace Fields.  

That being said, he hasn't had the chance to be blown away by the big three, unless you count interviews.  Therefore, the decision on Fields has yet to be made.

I think we would all be disappointed in Poles if he didn't perform his due diligence.

Good Grief, I don't remember so many EVPs & SVPs hired. Have they announced an SVP in charge of the toilet paper acquisition? Warren is going to have a staff under him to rival the number of scouts under Poles or coaches under Flus.

8 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Good Grief, I don't remember so many EVPs & SVPs hired. Have they announced an SVP in charge of the toilet paper acquisition? Warren is going to have a staff under him to rival the number of scouts under Poles or coaches under Flus.

A president needs good people to do the leg work.  The Bears have the stadium and the team to get right. His name is on top of it all, so it is his stamp.  It would be nice in a way to see something done in the city and the team contending for years. 

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

It makes sense if the stadium is really going to get developed soon. Not a day to day operation with so many contractors they would have to interface with.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

That's my job when I get back.

• adam unfeatured this topic