The Chicago Bears are on the clock! OFFSEASON OPEN THREAD!

adam

12 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

Washington is open to trading #2

I am sure they are. If they can't get Williams, they are better off trading down and getting extra picks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Do they do any visits to hide who they really might want to draft? He's a blue chip player, just checking out all options or deflecting ?

Who knows really.  Bowers is a difference maker though.  We all did talk about the final four teams having stud move TE's and centers.

Really surprised the Bears haven’t done anything at receiver besides adding Keenan Allen and Dante Pettis. Pettis should be no lock to make the team, and even if you count on adding a WR in the draft, your other WRs are Tyler Scott, Velus Jones, and Collin Johnson. Maybe they want to wait until after the draft to see who gets cut or what kind of WR they add in the draft, but this group could really use a DJ Chark/Josh Reynolds type IMO. 

1 minute ago, dawhizz said:

Really surprised the Bears haven’t done anything at receiver besides adding Keenan Allen and Dante Pettis. Pettis should be no lock to make the team, and even if you count on adding a WR in the draft, your other WRs are Tyler Scott, Velus Jones, and Collin Johnson. Maybe they want to wait until after the draft to see who gets cut or what kind of WR they add in the draft, but this group could really use a DJ Chark/Josh Reynolds type IMO. 

for sure

On 3/23/2024 at 4:10 PM, Stinger226 said:

Do they do any visits to hide who they really might want to draft? He's a blue chip player, just checking out all options or deflecting ?

With Waldron calling plays this is likely legit interest.   He’s not opposed to putting 3 TE in the field. 

49 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

With Waldron calling plays this is likely legit interest.   He’s not opposed to putting 3 TE in the field. 

yes and with a talent like that, if you're thinking you DONT need a 3rd TE, you still want to kick the tires and see if hes SO good you cant pass him anyway too

Plus with all these guys, its not just drafting them, but building their file for trades and free agency in a few years too

22 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

When talking about Field's, the money he would have had to pay going forward was a big reason, he had to change.

Money and timeline to wait for him to prove he's the guy.  I would say it's more simply that he feels either Williams or Daniels will have his team in a better position in 2025.   

I leave Maye out because he said the QB coach and maybe OC are going to his pro day but Poles is not.  I'm not sure about Flus either.   So it definitely feels like a 2 horse race and I have no clue, based on his words and expressions, who is in the lead right now other than the obvious Williams ranking #1 overall.

As noted above, I did catch him saying the #9 pick being key for OT, WR, or DE.   If he trades back from 9 I don't think he goes far unless the reward is huge.      

31 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Money and timeline to wait for him to prove he's the guy.  I would say it's more simply that he feels either Williams or Daniels will have his team in a better position in 2025.   

I leave Maye out because he said the QB coach and maybe OC are going to his pro day but Poles is not.  I'm not sure about Flus either.   So it definitely feels like a 2 horse race and I have no clue, based on his words and expressions, who is in the lead right now other than the obvious Williams ranking #1 overall.

As noted above, I did catch him saying the #9 pick being key for OT, WR, or DE.   If he trades back from 9 I don't think he goes far unless the reward is huge.      

He knows he doesn't have enough picks so I see him doing something to get more. Doubt he trades one but Poles isn't conventional, he could surprise us there too. If he plays everything straight and just drafts 2 blue chip players, I'm good with that to. Pick 75 could still get us a quality WR, but there won't be any edge players there that could make a difference day one.

45 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I would say it's more simply that he feels either Williams or Daniels will have his team in a better position in 2025.   

I leave Maye out because he said the QB coach and maybe OC are going to his pro day but Poles is not.

Didn’t a good number of the staff go to McCarthy’s Pro Day too?  Bears and Pats only teams to have HC, GM, OC and QB coach there.  Or was that more for the other 17 players eligible?  

36 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Didn’t a good number of the staff go to McCarthy’s Pro Day too?  Bears and Pats only teams to have HC, GM, OC and QB coach there.  Or was that more for the other 17 players eligible?  

Yep - they were all at Michigan pro day as well. I did find it interesting he literally listed the 3 positions were were assuming - wr, dline and line at 9. 

He mentioned open to trade down for right price but also mentioned how many draft picks / undrafted guys be brought in since he took over too and made it sound like that was a good number and thus he could afford a bit smaller group now knowing number of picks coming as well. 

Overall I was impressed with all his quotes other than something struck me as odd when he actually talked about the 3 positions - I feel like you never get that much from a GM which made me wonder if there was purpose to that or maybe it was as simple as taking the strongest pools where trade down might play? 

30 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Yep - they were all at Michigan pro day as well. I did find it interesting he literally listed the 3 positions were were assuming - wr, dline and line at 9. 

He mentioned open to trade down for right price but also mentioned how many draft picks / undrafted guys be brought in since he took over too and made it sound like that was a good number and thus he could afford a bit smaller group now knowing number of picks coming as well. 

Overall I was impressed with all his quotes other than something struck me as odd when he actually talked about the 3 positions - I feel like you never get that much from a GM which made me wonder if there was purpose to that or maybe it was as simple as taking the strongest pools where trade down might play? 

I think that at this point it's kind of obvious to us, to the rest of the league etc. He didnt name WRs or Oline or even which DL he likes, so hes not giving away too much, but at this point, it's all pretty clear what the scenarios are.

In the article linked below, Harbaugh really promotes McCarthy as the top quarterback in the class, even above Williams. 

Harbaugh previously has said he thinks McCarthy is the best quarterback in Michigan history. That, of course, includes Tom Brady -- and Harbaugh himself. And now the coach is channeling the praise towards McCarthy's pro potential, saying he's the best quarterback in a strong QB class because McCarthy "plays quarterback the best" of the group.

Harbaugh returned to Ann Arbor, Mich. for the Wolverines' pro day and said what McCarthy did was above all others in the history of pro days.

"The workout J.J. had -- I've been to a lot of pro-day workouts and watched quarterbacks throw -- that's the best I've ever seen a quarterback do at a pro day," Harbaugh said.

He later added: "That was the best throwing day I've ever seen."

Sure, he would have reason to promote McCarthy. It would benefit his Chargers to see as many QBs drafted before their selection. Obviously he will not be interested in drafting a QB.

However, he was even promoting McCarty off air to one of our forum members in attendance at the combine. He REALLY does believe McCarthy is the #1 QB in the draft. 

So my question is:

If we had hired Harbaugh as our HC, replacing Flus, would we be drafting J.J. McCarthy as our QB instead of Caleb Williams? 

Jim Harbaugh Interview Article on NFL.com

I think he said he was the best QB at Michigan. So he's talking about college careers and pro days. Not including NFL performances. And he's saying McCarthy is the best reading defenses, not the best athlete.

I am convinced that had we signed Harbaugh, we'd still be taking Williams.

I don't know why you don't see it, but you don't.

You keep doubling down on this anti Caleb stuff, and you're gonna feel really silly when Caleb is the best QB in Bears history.

13 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think he said he was the best QB at Michigan. So he's talking about college careers and pro days. Not including NFL performances. And he's saying McCarthy is the best reading defenses, not the best athlete.

I am convinced that had we signed Harbaugh, we'd still be taking Williams.

I don't know why you don't see it, but you don't.

You keep doubling down on this anti Caleb stuff, and you're gonna feel really silly when Caleb is the best QB in Bears history.

I'm just quoting Harbaugh. I think we should draft Williams as long as Poles finds everything in order. I think the visit next week will be the closure needed. So you can stop trying to make this ME.

Read the article. He is stating (does he really mean it?) that McCarthy is the best QB prospect in the draft. READ THE ARTICLE! It is not me trying to dis Caleb!

10 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'm just quoting Harbaugh. I think we should draft Williams as long as Poles finds everything in order. I think the visit next week will be the closure needed. So you can stop trying to make this ME.

Read the article. He is stating (does he really mean it?) that McCarthy is the best QB prospect in the draft. READ THE ARTICLE! It is not me trying to dis Caleb!

He didn't say that he was the best prospect, he said he was the best at "quarterbacking" meaning reading defenses. It didn't account for athleticism or anything else.

I agree with Harbaugh too. I think Williams and McCarthy are the two NFL ready QBs. I just dont know if McCarthy has the ahtletic skills he will need at the next level. But if he thrives I will not be surprised. I think he has a better chance to translate to the NFL than Jayden Daniels for example.

And as for the rest, you're the one sharing all this anti Caleb stuff about him crying, and now this. It's obvious that you don't like Williams. And I just don't understand why. Is it still about Justin?

Because whatever you feel about Justin Fields, that isn't Williams' fault. Williams is just the most complete prospect int he draft, and the most compete prospect in many years. It jumps off the tape to me. We must watch football very differently I guess. The way we evaluate Fields and Williams being so opposite.

I think we can see now that I was right about Fields, and hopefully it wont be long until we can all see i was right about Williams too.

And it's not rocket science. I'm not seeing some really deep secret anything. It seems obvious to me, and most sportswriters, and NFL people. That's why I'm so surprised you don't see it too? The guy is awesome.

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

He didn't say that he was the best prospect, he said he was the best at "quarterbacking" meaning reading defenses. It didn't account for athleticism or anything else.

I agree with Harbaugh too. I think Williams and McCarthy are the two NFL ready QBs. I just dont know if McCarthy has the ahtletic skills he will need at the next level. But if he thrives I will not be surprised. I think he has a better chance to translate to the NFL than Jayden Daniels for example.

And as for the rest, you're the one sharing all this anti Caleb stuff about him crying, and now this. It's obvious that you don't like Williams. And I just don't understand why. Is it still about Justin?

Because whatever you feel about Justin Fields, that isn't Williams' fault. Williams is just the most complete prospect int he draft, and the most compete prospect in many years. It jumps off the tape to me. We must watch football very differently I guess. The way we evaluate Fields and Williams being so opposite.

I think we can see now that I was right about Fields, and hopefully it wont be long until we can all see i was right about Williams too.

And it's not rocket science. I'm not seeing some really deep secret anything. It seems obvious to me, and most sportswriters, and NFL people. That's why I'm so surprised you don't see it too? The guy is awesome.

Expressing my concern about Caleb's maturity because he curled up in a fetal position, wearing his uniform, and sitting in his mother's lap crying like a baby is legit.

However, I suspect his father had a word with him afterward. Hopefully he will not disgrace the Bear's by acting so childish once drafted. Yes, it is fine to show emotions on the sideline, but that went way beyond the norm expected from a pro athlete.

BUT I STILL WANT THE BEARS TO DRAFT CALEB!

How often do I have to say it? I know you can read. Yes, I checked them all out. Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCaffery, etc., trying to find an alternative so that we could not only draft a franchise QB but trade down to #2 to do so while cashing in on a boatload of picks.

Unfortunately, I could not find any substitute that made me feel comfortable giving up a chance to draft Caleb at #1. So I repeat for the umpteenth time: I want the Bears to draft Caleb.

Now, you also didn't read this:

Harbaugh raised eyebrows when he told Colin Cowherd in February that he thought McCarthy would be the top pick in the draft.

I asked a legitimate question, and you blew me off, accusing me of trying to defame Caleb. NONSENSE! Harbaugh legitimately believes in McCaffery. So IF HE HAD BEEN HIRED AS OUR HC, would he have traded the pick to Washington to get the extra picks and then selected McCaffery at #2 to be the replacement for Fields?

It's a legitimate "What if" question I proposed.

I believe he would have.

I'm sure you do not.

I'd be interested in the opinions of others.

• adam unfeatured this topic