Getsy Fired

Stinger226

11 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Warren was quoted a few days ago stating that he was with the Rams with Dick Vermeil and he saw how continuity impacted them and how they went from year 2 to year 3 (that was when Warner emerged).   So Warren seems to think consistency is big.  You could even look at Michigan - 4 or 5 years ago, they wanted to move on from Harbaugh (he even had to take a paycut), but he stuck it out and got the team to the point where they are now clobbering OSU on an annual basis.  

I will be honest - hiring Reich would make me pretty happy. It may not be sexy on paper, but he's super experienced, has had a ton of success (both as an OC and HC), and is probably not going to get another HC job.  So the possibility of a 5+ year run with Flus and Reich running the show isn't awful.  Quite frankly I think Reich would be the best OC this franchise has had in 20 years. The only one with a better long term track record was Martz, who in all fairness, had his offense playing tremendous until Cutler broke his hand diving to tackle a Charger player on an INT return.  

History is full of examples where bad coaching staffs weren't fired and then remained bad. If it was as simple as hiring anyone, then having two crappy years and simply not firing them turned them into Dick Vermeil, then this would be easy.

Eberflus will never win a Super Bowl with this team.

I respect that people disagree with me, but I strongly think in time they will regret it.

This franchise sucks. I love the team, but the franchise is just amateur hour.

3 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

I'm holding judgment on the offseason moves till it all plays out.  I'm not going to assume the worst yet, not to say when the dust settles I'll like how this offseason shakes out I'll ultimately like what we did.  

On the surface here we know Getsy and offensive position coaches are gone.  What was one of our biggest flaws overall this season?  Offensive play calling and production.  So I'm all for the move to get rid of Getsy, and I'm not sure we shouldn't have done that in season.  So far this and that Flus most likely staying are the only moves we know for sure.

As for Justin's future I'd say that now hinges on who the OC we bring in. This comes with some questions.  Does the new OC come in with the premise that Justin is staying?  Does the next OC determine whether you keep Fields or trade and draft a QB.  Is Flus, Poles, and Warren already inclined to move on from Justin unless they are convinced a candidate can get the most out of Justin.  Thing is we don't know any of these answers unless a statement is made which may not come till after the new OC is here.

Random thought I've had concerning Justin and the draft.  How much does this affect the value of the #1 pick.  If we trade Justin prior to the draft the writing is on the wall and teams know we are inclined to stay put and take Williams at #1.  And it could in theory increase the value as teams know they aren't just competing with each other for the pick but that they also have to offer enough compensation to convince us to move from the pick.  If we are in fact planning on sticking with Fields is there benefit in letting other teams sweat it out not knowing while internally we let Justin know he's safe?

The Fields question is somewhat of a mute point because regardless of QB any new OC will have to bring a plan to improve the performance of a young QB.  The Bears can review tape of their games with a new OC and then ask what would you have done in this situation and why.  Then again, any serious candidate would already be doing that ahead of the interview.  

If Poles wants to quietly up the trade value of #1 he can float some feelers out there for a trade of Justin Fields.  Then weigh it all into the final decision.  

13 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

My guess is yes, they’re going to try to find a proven commodity they can trust with this evaluation.   Everyone on the staff right now is too close to the situation to be clear eyed.   At the end of the day it’ll be Poles call but he’ll want someone telling him if he believes Fields is fixable.  

I am hoping this is the case, and that the Bears open to what ever is best for the team and not already decided one way or another and thus only looking at OC's that are willing to accept conditions like that.  We're in a unique situation where draft wise we can go either direction so keeping or moving on from Justin are equally possible outcomes.  The smart thing is to look for the best candidates and find out what their plan or preference would be.  Use that to inform your decision on which OC has the best plan and once hired it becomes about executing that plan.  

We are in year 2 of what was stated as possibly being a 3-4 year rebuild, and here after year 2 there's a lot of desire in the fan base to blow it up.  Year 1 this roster was gutted and it showed.  I don't think trading and Justin and drafting Williams is giving up on the rebuild necessarily.  Rebuilding involves retooling and finding the best players you can at each position to keep improving the roster.  If they do draft Williams that becomes part of the rebuild process in trying to improve the QB position. 

First and foremost , Poles didn't get to this point in time and not know what he was going to do. He knows who he wants at QB, we just don't know. The scouting staff already has evaluations of the QBs, Poles now will do the deep dive. He will pick a OC that can adjust to whoever is QB and not one that is committed to a system. When he hires the coach , he will know who the QB is . I can't believe people think they're in a room wondering what to do next. 

6 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

First and foremost , Poles didn't get to this point in time and not know what he was going to do. He knows who he wants at QB, we just don't know. The scouting staff already has evaluations of the QBs, Poles now will do the deep dive. He will pick a OC that can adjust to whoever is QB and not one that is committed to a system. When he hires the coach , he will know who the QB is . I can't believe people think they're in a room wondering what to do next. 

I agree - I don't think the new OC is going to have much of a say in do you keep Fields or Not.  But the Bears will have to be careful in this - because when you are interviewing candidates you don't want to interveiw 7 people and based upon what you share in those interviews the 6 candidates who don't get the job KNOW what the Bears plan at QB is (that will impact our leverage).  

To the point that we are thru only year 2 in the rebuild:

No one is suggesting cleaning out the roster. No matter who is coach, we would be in year 3. I just didnt see anything from Eberflus that tells me he's the guy. I dread being right about this.

7 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I agree - I don't think the new OC is going to have much of a say in do you keep Fields or Not.  But the Bears will have to be careful in this - because when you are interviewing candidates you don't want to interveiw 7 people and based upon what you share in those interviews the 6 candidates who don't get the job KNOW what the Bears plan at QB is (that will impact our leverage).  

having final say, youre correct, certainly not. it will be Poles and Warren that have the final say on Fields and/or which rookie to take. But they will want an OC that is all in on the plan, so from that point of view, the OC will have "input" in the sense that if they dont see things the same way, theyre not gonna get the job.

I do expect if they pick a guy like Frank Reich, and decide to move on from Fields, that he will have major input into which QB to take.

All this scares me that they're keeping Fields too. And if we do, we have to get a first rounder next year out of some trade, so we can get a QB in the top picks next year if this doesnt work, and then align coaches and QB on the same timeline.

52 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

The scouting staff already has evaluations of the QBs, Poles now will do the deep dive.

The one thing we are certain on is that Poles/Warren agreed Getsy was a big problem with the offense not just Fields.  

Poles’ first two drafts has had more overall success in getting productive contributors for the defense than he has for the offense.  And in just volume (numbers) he got more in last year’s draft.  Probably safe to assume this years’ will focus on offense.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/draft-picks-reflect-successful-trend-by-ryan-poles

I keep hearing Reich's name.  Since I live in the Indy area, I'm hopefully going to bring a little perspective.  Frank Reich is the salt of the earth type of human being.  His players love him because he always respects, even when he's providing tough love.  His tenure in Indy was rocky.  Andrew Luck did him no favors.  He made a huge mistake by sticking his neck out for Carson Wentz after the eagles benched him.  His success in Indy wasn't what they wanted.  He was then hired to usher in the number pick and was fired mid season.  David Tepper is a nut, so that firing is tainted.  I thought Irsay was going to fire him before he did, due to the offense being so stagnant.  After all my blah blah, I simply just don't know where the stink is with him...

8 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I keep hearing Reich's name.  Since I live in the Indy area, I'm hopefully going to bring a little perspective.  Frank Reich is the salt of the earth type of human being.  His players love him because he always respects, even when he's providing tough love.  His tenure in Indy was rocky.  Andrew Luck did him no favors.  He made a huge mistake by sticking his neck out for Carson Wentz after the eagles benched him.  His success in Indy wasn't what they wanted.  He was then hired to usher in the number pick and was fired mid season.  David Tepper is a nut, so that firing is tainted.  I thought Irsay was going to fire him before he did, due to the offense being so stagnant.  After all my blah blah, I simply just don't know where the stink is with him...

Listening to Warren, Poles and Flus talk. I feel like they want honest and high character coaches and players. They also need to be good at their job - but as team players. Everything you describe about Reich's personality - feel like the right fit.  

4 hours ago, fudgeripple2000 said:

I wouldn't say benefit of the doubt.  I would say allow time to find stability.  The bears have been known as an unstable franchise for too long. For the longest time we had GMs that primarily answered to Ted (a proven idiot) and the ownership.  The addition of warren (not a proven idiot)just this year offers the suggestion that they are trying to be stable.  I'm willing to be patient because Poles drafts well and Warren has yet to prove hes an idiot.

But why hitch your wagon to a Chevy Pacer?  If I want some time for stability, I hire a coach w a track record of winning.  Not epically losing.  Warren offers nothing concrete than building a stadium.  There's no sliver of evidence he's there for anything else.  I don't trust this franchise, plain and simple.  They haven't earned it.  I've been burned way too many times way too long to think differently.  I probably need legit therapy.

45 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've got no issue w Reich.  At least yet.  And maybe he can influence the shoddy playcalling and in game management of fLose.  I doubt it.  But, there is a slim chance. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

all good points.

27 minutes ago, adam said:

This would be a great hire if they pull it off:

SEA was 12th in Offensive DVOA, CHI was 22nd.

SEA was 10th in EPA/play

SEA scored fewer than 13 pts once this season, 3 against BAL in BAL. 

2 hours ago, adam said:

This would be a great hire if they pull it off:

Not really clear but did Carroll retire or get fired?

If he retired then wouldn’t he be next in line for a potential HC job there in SEA? 

If fired then yes it seems like a good fit.  Some credit him for the revival of Geno Smith. And say his system is similar to what is currently in place in Chicago.  Many cited he likes to use the screen a lot and avoids the short middle of the field.  😬

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not really clear but did Carroll retire or get fired?

If he retired then wouldn’t he be next in line for a potential HC job there in SEA? 

If fired then yes it seems like a good fit.  Some credit him for the revival of Geno Smith. And say his system is similar to what is currently in place in Chicago.  Many cited he likes to use the screen a lot and avoids the short middle of the field.  😬

He just moved to another position within the organization, but they told the staff that they are free to seek other employment. So it's definitely possible he could interview for the HC position there.