Free Agency 2024

adam

We know Poles has targeted a DE and a WR but obviously they haven't accepted it yet. Poles isn't overpaying in FA. Last year he offered Mike MaGlinvchy 12.5 mil, he ended up getting17.5 and had a terrible year. 

Glad he lost that player. He always sets contracts to be able to get out of players after two years.  If he misses at least its not big money and short term. Better for the team long term.

Williams is now available and LA is paying him. 12.4 mil this year. We could offer him a one year 7 mil deal. Everett played with him and his WR coach is with us now. That's the type of deals Poles looks for.

Poles will be getting a DE but will surprise us with the name. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some names that would not count towards the comp picks:

Mason Cole - C
Laken Tomlinson - G
Charles Leno - OT
Marquez Valdez-Scantling - WR
Mark Glowinski - G
Lawrence Guy - DT
Emmanuel Ogbah - Edge
Mike Williams - WR
Brian Allen - C (former Ram)

1. G/C - Patrick (50.5/953) > Evan Brown or Connor Williams
2. C/G - Whitehair (45.0/787) > Brian Allen or Mason Cole
3. WR - Mooney (55.2/764) > Curtis Samuel or Cedric Wilson
4. DT - Jones (49.3/740) > Poona Ford or DJ Reader
5. DE - Ngakoue (39.9/592)> DJ Wonnum or Chase Young
6. DE - Green (50.6/385) > Shaw Lawson or Solomon Thomas
7. TE - Lewis (77.1/330) >  Adam Trautman or Josiah Deguara
8. WR - St. Brown (55.1/211) > Tyler Boyd or Josh Reynolds or KJ Osborn
9. WR/PR - Taylor (51.8/121) > Braxton Berrios or Nick Westbrook-Ikhine

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles will be getting a DE but will surprise us with the name. 

I’m curious if it’ll be DJ Wonnum?  He’s set to visit today after meeting with the Panthers yesterday . To me he’s what Sweat was to Chase Young in Washington.  In this case Danielle Hunter got most of the hype in Minny.  Wonnum is just closing out his rookie contract and had 8 sacks last season while doing it (he’s young and peaking).

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/vikings-pass-rusher-to-visit-bears-in-free-agency-this-week-per-report/546467/?amp=1

1 minute ago, dawhizz said:

At this point, give me Josh Reynolds at WR, DJ Wonnum at DE, and Coleman Shelton at C. Maybe a body at DT. 

OTC has DJ Wonnum valuation at 10 mil a year. They valued Hunter at 24.5 and he signed for 29.5. So probably 10-12 is where he settles . We have more money left than Panthers so doubt if it's any kind of bidding war. I would say Poles has a 9 mil value on him. Hope we get him.

Reynolds name has been brought up many times. It would be the kind of signing Poles would do. Look at Brian Allen as a potential center he brings in.

2 hours ago, dawhizz said:

At this point, give me Josh Reynolds at WR, DJ Wonnum at DE, and Coleman Shelton at C. Maybe a body at DT. 

Biggs saying Bears signing Coleman Shelton, so that’s one down . . .

I don't think we have made the oline good - but they improved the floor and have improved the depth.  I still think they need an upgrade on the line at the starting spot.  If Alt somehow fell and presuming they had a high grade on him - I have ZERO issue taking him and than seeing where Jones can fit cause I truly believe developing the line into a strength is key (top 5 type of line).  

You don't do that without making big investments - both in draft and where needed supplementally via free agency.  

9 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I don't think we have made the oline good - but they improved the floor and have improved the depth.  I still think they need an upgrade on the line at the starting spot.  If Alt somehow fell and presuming they had a high grade on him - I have ZERO issue taking him and than seeing where Jones can fit cause I truly believe developing the line into a strength is key (top 5 type of line).  

You don't do that without making big investments - both in draft and where needed supplementally via free agency.  

They have improved the center position, we were terrible there last year. Even if neither are top 10, an average rating is better than average terrible. Plus added depth. 

Sam Howell just got traded to Seattle in a pick swap. Basically moved up a round with 2 picks and gave 2 lower round picks back.  

So basically there 4th and 5th round picks turned into a 3rd and 4th round pick.  I would think that is probably the floor for Justin - the downside is - Seattle was probably one of the better places for Justin to go.  Denver is really the main starting frontier - and I Don't think Field(s) fits Payton much but in fairness he had Tayson Hill and Winston either who probably weren't guys you would have said fit Payton's style.  

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Solid move, 2 good options at Center, both an upgrade over last year's debacle

Roster Move: Bears agree to terms with veteran OL Coleman Shelton

With Shelton on the team, I think it tells you a few things.

First off, it tells you that Pryor is going to compete at guard, and probably end up the backup for the guard and center slots. He will push Davis for the starting role at RG.

Secondly, it tells you that we aren't going to trade down in order to target JPJ in the bottom of the first.

Thirdly, so far hes signed an OT, an OG AND an OC, and getting all three tells you that it's more likely that he isn't going to trade down the #1 pick, because he is filling so many holes, as if he isn't expecting to have a ton of extra picks this year.

I expect a receiver (incl Bowers) at #9, and we would still have needs at DE and DT. This rebuild still has a year left, so it won't be perfect this year. The defense is looking pretty good, so I'd say we target QB with #1 and WR with #9. With these other holes all addressed, you wouldnt need a haul of picks.

It's not "proof" but it's starting to lean that way for sure.

18 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Sam Howell just got traded to Seattle in a pick swap. Basically moved up a round with 2 picks and gave 2 lower round picks back.  

So basically there 4th and 5th round picks turned into a 3rd and 4th round pick.  I would think that is probably the floor for Justin - the downside is - Seattle was probably one of the better places for Justin to go.  Denver is really the main starting frontier - and I Don't think Field(s) fits Payton much but in fairness he had Tayson Hill and Winston either who probably weren't guys you would have said fit Payton's style.  

At this point - giving up our 3rd and 4th for say a 2nd and 3rd and maybe a 4th rounder next year would be a HUGE win (presuming they are drafting a QB).  

18 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

your trade scenarios the past week have been excellent dude. Good work being creative.

This is exactly the right answer to the Justin problem. If you cant get a 3rd for him, then trade our third and Justin for a second. What a smart idea.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

They have improved the center position, we were terrible there last year. Even if neither are top 10, an average rating is better than average terrible. Plus added depth. 

Did we? Coleman Shelton gave up more pressures than any center in the NFL last year.  He was signed because he can be easily cut if we get someone better.  Poles is on my shit list over this center position for three years now.  He better get one drafted...

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

With Shelton on the team, I think it tells you a few things.

First off, it tells you that Pryor is going to compete at guard, and probably end up the backup for the guard and center slots. He will push Davis for the starting role at RG.

Secondly, it tells you that we aren't going to trade down in order to target JPJ in the bottom of the first.

Thirdly, so far hes signed an OT, an OG AND an OC, and getting all three tells you that it's more likely that he isn't going to trade down the #1 pick, because he is filling so many holes, as if he isn't expecting to have a ton of extra picks this year.

I expect a receiver (incl Bowers) at #9, and we would still have needs at DE and DT. This rebuild still has a year left, so it won't be perfect this year. The defense is looking pretty good, so I'd say we target QB with #1 and WR with #9. With these other holes all addressed, you wouldnt need a haul of picks.

It's not "proof" but it's starting to lean that way for sure.

My guess is we will see they signed the Vikings Dlinemen by end of the day.  I'm guessing 3yr 30M.  I still expect a wideout to sign as well and than I do think they are highly likely to take either a dlinemen or wideout at 9 (or if they move down - they move down but still target BAU but at those positions).  

1. G/C - Patrick (50.5/953) > Coleman Shelton (64.5/1113)
7. TE - Lewis (77.1/330) >  Adam Trautman or Josiah Deguara
9. WR/PR - Taylor (51.8/121) > Braxton Berrios or Nick Westbrook-Ikhine

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Did we? Coleman Shelton gave up more pressures than any center in the NFL last year.  He was signed because he can be easily cut if we get someone better.  Poles is on my shit list over this center position for three years now.  He better get one drafted...

Totally agree, he has failed on the OL in general. Wright is a big ceiling type player. B Jones arrow is pointing up but has to keep getting better. Jenkins is a plus player but injury concerns. Davis failed in his first year but that still could be a quality signing. Anyone having a mother die is not in the best place. He will draft a OC , if we do trade backs, Zach Frazier is in play. He seems to attack areas of need by numbers.3 new centers has a higher odds of being better. Last year he made a offer to McGlincy. It would have looked good on paper but he was terrible at 17.5 a year. Better to have cheap fail than expensive.

The difference this year is he is improving the depth. That will be a key during the season. He will draft a center and a Jordon Morgan type that could play multi positions. The cheap FA  signing suggests to me he is building thru the draft and will load up on draft picks. If he gets 5 top 60 players this year and next , that's 10  more higher level additions. That addresses every weakness.

2 hours ago, adam said:

1. G/C - Patrick (50.5/953) > Coleman Shelton (64.5/1113)
7. TE - Lewis (77.1/330) >  Adam Trautman or Josiah Deguara
9. WR/PR - Taylor (51.8/121) > Braxton Berrios or Nick Westbrook-Ikhine

Poles is playing the patience game, after the first wave, he is in a better position to start attacking DE, DT and WR. As you showed, there are still players out there.

What I find interesting is the insiders that say Fields is being traded and we are drafting Caleb has not hit on any of the players we signed. No information leaks out of Halas Hall.

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My guess is we will see they signed the Vikings Dlinemen by end of the day.  I'm guessing 3yr 30M.  I still expect a wideout to sign as well and than I do think they are highly likely to take either a dlinemen or wideout at 9 (or if they move down - they move down but still target BAU but at those positions).  

I think I saw Wonnum signed with the Panthers. 

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

If you mean Hunter, he signed with the Texans :(