Yet another Caleb Williams Red Flag

jason

This dude's idiot father not only doesn't want to hire an actual NFLPA agent, but he's also asking completely idiotic questions about foregoing NFLPA collective bargaining rookie salary structure, and yet again about team equity.

Dude is going to be a combination of Jamarcus Russell and the the Ball Brothers moron father.

The Bears absolutely can't take the risk that his father convinces his son to hold out, or to take it even further, basically holding the Bears entire franchise at ransom.

TRADE THE PICK.

https://www.outkick.com/sports/caleb-williams-agent-nfl-draft-status

https://theathletic.com/5301341/2024/02/28/caleb-williams-quarterback-nfl-draft-ownership/?source=user_shared_article

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, jason said:

This dude's idiot father not only doesn't want to hire an actual NFLPA agent, but he's also asking completely idiotic questions about foregoing NFLPA collective bargaining rookie salary structure, and yet again about team equity.

Dude is going to be a combination of Jamarcus Russell and the the Ball Brothers moron father.

The Bears absolutely can't take the risk that his father convinces his son to hold out, or to take it even further, basically holding the Bears entire franchise at ransom.

TRADE THE PICK.

https://www.outkick.com/sports/caleb-williams-agent-nfl-draft-status

https://theathletic.com/5301341/2024/02/28/caleb-williams-quarterback-nfl-draft-ownership/?source=user_shared_article

Just read he's not doing the medicals at the combine. Not throwing either? This kind of stuff is a red flag for using the # 1 pick on the guy.

I just read an article on The Atlantic. I tried linking an article there before and it was a no go, as I am a subscriber, and the link would not work.

Carl Williams is going to be a big problem. He not only questions having equity in the team that drafts Caleb, but it goes much further.

He wants to know why his boy would have a cap on his earnings for four years, plus a fifth, then tags, potentially making his boy play for less than he's worth for as long as eight years.

He wants to know why it is fair for the draft order to have reverse positioning because of the previous year's record. Why can['t he be drafted by a top contender instead of a team with a poor record?

He rejects the idea of an approved agent because none of them he's talked to will tell him how to find a loophole in the rules. The agents are also leery of Carl.

Then, I will give you one quote, I don't think The Atlantic would be pissed as it is a minor clip of a long article, but this really concerns me:

Carl has planned out Caleb’s career since his son was 10 years old, pairing him with the best coaches in the business. And now he’s expected to surrender control and just let things happen? “He’s got two shots at the apple,” Carl told GQ. “If there’s not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school.”

Caleb has made over 10 million in college over the past 3 years with endorsements galore. He could easily afford an "Eli Manning or John Elway" move and refuse to play for the team that drafts him. He could just return to college; he is financially set to hold out if necessary.

heres a cool trick for articles on sites that you or we dont subscribe to.

if the URL is (for example, this is not a real URL)

http://www.youcantreadthis.com

then add "archive.is/" after the "http://" and before the "www"

so the new link would be

http://archive.is/www.youcantreadthis.com

and then you can read it without paying.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I just read an article on The Atlantic. I tried linking an article there before and it was a no go, as I am a subscriber, and the link would not work.

Carl Williams is going to be a big problem. He not only questions having equity in the team that drafts Caleb, but it goes much further.

He wants to know why his boy would have a cap on his earnings for four years, plus a fifth, then tags, potentially making his boy play for less than he's worth for as long as eight years.

He wants to know why it is fair for the draft order to have reverse positioning because of the previous year's record. Why can['t he be drafted by a top contender instead of a team with a poor record?

He rejects the idea of an approved agent because none of them he's talked to will tell him how to find a loophole in the rules. The agents are also leery of Carl.

Then, I will give you one quote, I don't think The Atlantic would be pissed as it is a minor clip of a long article, but this really concerns me:

Caleb has made over 10 million in college over the past 3 years with endorsements galore. He could easily afford an "Eli Manning or John Elway" move and refuse to play for the team that drafts him. He could just return to college; he is financially set to hold out if necessary.

It's not going to be about his talent, I think he could be special but he seems to want to be treated special ( or am least his dad does) . That will just be an ongoing issue thru the process and and he gets drafted. Not what a first pick in draft should be. No medical at the combine will turn some teams off, maybe Poles to.

6 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

heres a cool trick for articles on sites that you or we dont subscribe to.

if the URL is

http://www.youcantreadthis.com

then add "archive.is/" after the "http://" and before the "www"

so the new link would be

http://archive/is/youcantreadthis.com

and then you can read it without paying.

The link didn't pop, check your source.

that was an EXAMPLE of how to use the archive.is for ANY link. That wasnt a real link. It was directions for ANY link. "youcantreadthis" isnt a website, its a placeholder?

Here is the real link to that article - nothing in it is new, thankfully its all rehashed from several months ago.

https://archive.is/CfiZZ

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

that was an EXAMPLE of how to use the archive.is for ANY link. That wasnt a real link. It was directions for ANY link. "youcantreadthis" isnt a website, its a placeholder?

Here is the real link to that article - nothing in it is new, thankfully its all rehashed from several months ago.

https://archive.is/CfiZZ

Thanks for posting the link to the article. 

Old news? Really? I actually found most of this information new to me. I encourage everyone to read it. 

I'm not sure it tells us anything about Caleb. It indicates much about what his father will be like as his mentor. The question is, how much will Caleb listen to his father's unorthodox views of the NFL?

I'll add this. I just listened to the Caleb Williams combine interview on NFL.com and was impressed. For a guy who has been known to skip out on interviews after his college games, he handled the questions given to him without hesitation, and I thought he aced the test.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

Thanks for posting the link to the article. 

Old news? Really? I actually found most of this information new to me. I encourage everyone to read it. 

I'm not sure it tells us anything about Caleb. It indicates much about what his father will be like as his mentor. The question is, how much will Caleb listen to his father's unorthodox views of the NFL?

Historically speaking in the sports world there have been some positive outcomes for athletes with over-bearing parents.  Archie Manning, Richard Williams,  Mike Agassi and to some level LaVar Ball.   But this reeks of a different level and makes me think of a more complex (aka complicated) version of Ball.  I’d even say with how we’ve seen Caleb act out in public that it could be a negative influence on him.  Poor kid.  

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

yes, it does seem to be more his father than Caleb himself. But there were rumors flying around in November that Caleb didnt want to go to the Bears and that his father was seeking an ownership stake in whatever team drafted him.

Thankfully neither is true, and Caleb does seem to be a good young man with his head on straight in his interviews.

Ive still got lots of film to watch, but the more i watch on him, the more impressed I am with him.

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

A real red flag is that mf painting his nails like a bitch but we’ve already overhashed that

if Caleb is a weirdo in some way, that either works for or against him. The obvious against is that he would play a victim role if negativity comes along, and become more activist than player.

But that doesnt seem like his personality at all. Look at the other side - let's say hypothetically (NOT saying this is true at ALL!) that Caleb is a really weird fetish guy. There is some chance that he wants to prove to the world that the greatest QB who ever lives ALSO happened to like to dress up like a nurse and wrestle in jello. You could imagine that could motivate him even more in a Jackie Robinson kind of way.

I couldn't stand Colin Kaepernick, but I LOVE Dennis Rodman.

Now I think the nails thing is just because his mom is a nail tech, and doesn't even mean he is a weirdo at all. I think it's a giant nothingburger, but if my investigators told me there was more to it, it wouldn't be a positive or a negative inherently, it would just go back to the original most important question you ask any QB - what is your character, how competitive are you, are you a leader, is winning so important to you that it's almost unhealthy?

If you get the right answer to those questions, it doesnt matter what the THING is, even if there is no thing at all, you still need the right answer to those questions. They and talent are literally all that matter for any QB.

30 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The not throwing in the combine and having his dad represent him versus having an agent are not “old” developments.  Or at least old revelations.  

the Dad thing is old, but the not throwing is new. Then again, it's not uncommon for top rated Qbs to only throw at their pro days, there's nothing to gain, and some possibility to lose.

Maye and Daniels aren't throwing this year either. Last year Bryce Young didn't throw at the combine - I think it's common for top rated guys not to.

Has anyone seen Carl Williams at the mic? On Podcasts or talk shows? Honestly, I have only read about him. I haven't really been looking but this seems slightly media driven.

Williams looked pretty comfortable with all the limelight on him, which is something at that age. 

There is not much the Williams camp can do as a rookie. In reality, without an agent, the Bears can actually pull some fast ones on him in the contract. All they have to say is, that's the norm. So I don't know how much his dad can really do. The minute he becomes an issue, he starts hurting his son's value.

On the other stuff. The Bears need answers. How do his medicals look? Does he have some underlying condition that he does not want to be made public (too much estrogen, one testicle)? 

My biggest concern is his ability to read defenses, change the play at the LoS, and know his hot reads while having the ability to throw to the MoF. If there are concerns there, then I would be concerned. 

25 minutes ago, adam said:

Has anyone seen Carl Williams at the mic? On Podcasts or talk shows? Honestly, I have only read about him. I haven't really been looking but this seems slightly media driven.

Williams looked pretty comfortable with all the limelight on him, which is something at that age. 

There is not much the Williams camp can do as a rookie. In reality, without an agent, the Bears can actually pull some fast ones on him in the contract. All they have to say is, that's the norm. So I don't know how much his dad can really do. The minute he becomes an issue, he starts hurting his son's value.

On the other stuff. The Bears need answers. How do his medicals look? Does he have some underlying condition that he does not want to be made public (too much estrogen, one testicle)? 

My biggest concern is his ability to read defenses, change the play at the LoS, and know his hot reads while having the ability to throw to the MoF. If there are concerns there, then I would be concerned. 

No concerns on your list of skills. He shows that all plenty in the film.

And a lot of people don't know this but John Madden was a woman with three testicles LOL Seriously though, Im assuming his medicals are fine. The Bears will give him a medical eval, just not today. Did they measure his height at the combine?

5 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Use your head before claim red flags. You’d want the exact freakin same for a kid who’s mom you’re pushing dick into every night

I would do research before asking stupid questions about circumventing the CBA and having ownership in a team. I’d also advise my son to take part in medical, and participate in the combine. I also would have told him to skip the nail polish and Cam Newton outfits.

To me those are all red flags. You can dismiss them at your discretion, but where there is smoke there is fire.

He and his camp are doing almost everything wrong when it comes to the extracurriculars, and that should be concerning to the Bears, because either he actually is a huge risk, or his camp is attempting to throw the Bears off the scent. Either way, it’s an issue.

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

No concerns on your list of skills. He shows that all plenty in the film.

And a lot of people don't know this but John Madden was a woman with three testicles LOL Seriously though, Im assuming his medicals are fine. The Bears will give him a medical eval, just not today. Did they measure his height at the combine?

Nope, but he did answer a question on his height, he said between 6'1" and 6'2". 

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Nope, but he did answer a question on his height, he said between 6'1" and 6'2". 

Someone needs to actually measure the guy :)