Bears Sign JJ - 4yr 76M deal

BearFan PHX

My question is - if you were Poles, would you think about trading Johnson. I suspect probability of that happening is low - seems very clear that Poles wants JJ to stick around and JJ wants to be here, so its just a matter of getting the economics to work out. 

With that said - if you were the Bears, seeing that Poles seems to have an eye for DB talent - would you be open to trading JJ.  For me - if I could get a 1st rounder plus another pick (not like a 2nd rounder or anything - maybe a future 3rd) - than I would at least consider it (I presume FRP would be back end) - than deploy the cap space on dline.  

JJ is a really good DB though so I have zero issue giving him his 4yr 80-90M deal.  

6 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

With that said - if you were the Bears, seeing that Poles seems to have an eye for DB talent - would you be open to trading JJ.

I’ve always been skeptical of Jaylon until this last season. Over his career I think he benefited more from not so good opposite corner play than his own actual performance.  This year he came alive.  Question I have is he more like Fuller (where he seemed to do better when he was due money) or will he play more like he did last season with regularity?  If they think he’s a one hit wonder, need to trade him now.  ‘Strike while the iron is hot.’  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My question is - if you were Poles, would you think about trading Johnson. I suspect probability of that happening is low - seems very clear that Poles wants JJ to stick around and JJ wants to be here, so its just a matter of getting the economics to work out. 

With that said - if you were the Bears, seeing that Poles seems to have an eye for DB talent - would you be open to trading JJ.  For me - if I could get a 1st rounder plus another pick (not like a 2nd rounder or anything - maybe a future 3rd) - than I would at least consider it (I presume FRP would be back end) - than deploy the cap space on dline.  

JJ is a really good DB though so I have zero issue giving him his 4yr 80-90M deal.  

I've been thinking the same thing. Poles does seem to have an eye for DBs, and while Jaylon is good, and Im happy to have him here for a while, and he is worth the money, and we do have the cap space - but a few more picks might help the team more. I think it's almost a toss up for me. I guess we keep him. But if we can sign him to a deal that we can get out of next year with a trade, like front loading it with money this year, having him this year, and possibly getting major picks for him next year when we can replace him wouldnt be bad.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’ve always been skeptical of Jaylon until this last season. Over his career I think he benefited more from not so good opposite corner play than his own actual performance.  This year he came alive.  Question I have is he more like Fuller (where he seemed to do better when he was due money) or will he play more like he did last season with regularity?  If they think he’s a one hit wonder, need to trade him now.  ‘Strike while the iron is hot.’  

He was a quality CB, just didn't get the TOs. Last year changed  after we finally got a pass rusher. Poles sticks value on players and doesn't exceed that. Roqaun Smith was also an all pro. This is how he keeps good cap space. At worst he's here one more year and gives Terrell Smith time to develop more. Its not a problem.

JJ can finally hit the market and see his worth. Poles feels his offer is inline to what teams would pay.  It does really limit JJ, but a team like Baltimore, for example,can make him an offer knowing it's 2 firsts should be near the 30s.  Hopefully, JJ gets some interest and comes back home.

Up until last year, JJ couldn't get TOs. Then, all of a sudden, he gets some picks. Those interceptions added a minimum of 5 million/yr to his contract demands. He insists he is the top CB in the league. I don't see it.

We talk about controlling the cap by resetting the QB clock. With Gordon, Smith, and Stevenson, the CB room, with a rookie prospect added, would, IMO, allow us to reset the CB clock. Get a good haul for him. Let someone else gamble that after being paid, he is worth the money demands he is looking for.

I like JJ, but it may be time to cash in and move on.

I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, but I suspect his play slides after he gets his big pay day. Maybe he will be like Kmet and prove his worth after his new contract. I'm guessing he will be more like Fuller and Jackson, who faded away.

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

One interesting thing is Bears applied the non exclusive tag - so JJ can negotiate with others - Bears can match or we get 2 1st rounders. 

I would definitely take two first rounders for JJ.One of them we'd have to use on his replacement though, and the other one comes in 2025?

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

I would definitely take two first rounders for JJ.One of them we'd have to use on his replacement though, and the other one comes in 2025?

Yeah that is my presumption and I would do it as well and go write a big check for one of the stud dlinemen. 

23 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

One interesting thing is Bears applied the non exclusive tag - so JJ can negotiate with others - Bears can match or we get 2 1st rounders. 

I think they are doing that for JJ to get a realistic view of is worth. They are probably only a few mil a year apart but Poles plays hardball , JJ has to back off the highest paid contract narrative.

34 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think they are doing that for JJ to get a realistic view of is worth. They are probably only a few mil a year apart but Poles plays hardball , JJ has to back off the highest paid contract narrative.

Last year anyone could have gotten Lamar and no one even offered. I am kind of curious - who was last franchise tag player where a team went this route and actually made a formal offer which required matching? I felt like in early 2000s this type of thing happened but I can’t remember any team trying to go this way? Adam or anyone else know last major player where this happened? 

GREAT NEWS! Bears sign Jaylon Johnson to a 4 year $76M deal ($19M/yr avg) with $54M guaranteed.
We got him locked up and he did not break $20M.
This is a great deal for us. Lets go!

• DABEARSDABOMB changed the title to Bears Sign JJ - 4yr 76M deal

Awesome deal, and fair for both sides. Getting him for under $20M AAV is great for the Bears, and him getting $54M guaranteed is great for JJ. 

Schefter says JJ is getting $60M in the first 3 years with only $16M in Year 4 (2027). 

This seems like a very fair deal on both sides and glad to see it executed quickly. I also think it sends a message in terms of Poles working this out and getting an in-house guy signed. We have done it with Kmet and now JJ. To be honest - I would still be open to getting Mooney if he was open to say a 2 or 3yr deal worth 24M or so.  

Now to hope JJ stays healthy and the improved on ball production (ie turnovers) continues over this contract (and ideally another one)!!! 

Just now, adam said:

Awesome deal, and fair for both sides. Getting him for under $20M AAV is great for the Bears, and him getting $54M guaranteed is great for JJ. 

Schefter says JJ is getting $60M in the first 3 years with only $16M in Year 4 (2027). 

Creates some space for a time where the Bears will (hopefully) be looking at extending a QB getting closer to that 5th year option (*wink wink*).  

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Creates some space for a time where the Bears will (hopefully) be looking at extending a QB getting closer to that 5th year option (*wink wink*).  

I was looking at the timing and it does line up better with a rookie QB than it does with Fields, but that doesn't mean anything as that is so far out that there are like 2 guys under contract for that year right now lol. However, as the contracts keep stacking on themselves, the QB pay bump is definitely something Poles or the next GM will have to figure out.

17 minutes ago, adam said:

I was looking at the timing and it does line up better with a rookie QB than it does with Fields, but that doesn't mean anything as that is so far out that there are like 2 guys under contract for that year right now lol. However, as the contracts keep stacking on themselves, the QB pay bump is definitely something Poles or the next GM will have to figure out.

Very fair deal for both. We knew Poles wasn't setting the market with JJ, to many nagging injuries and only TOs came this year. That's a good sign he's going to try to win this year instead of pushing the wins down the road. We have to keep in mind they project the cap to go up by 50 mil next year. The QB money is pushing cap up every year.

My guess is that JJ and/or the new? QB will demand a new contract and threaten to hold out if it is not received by year 3 (assuming they are holding up their end of the bargain and performing at the Pro Bowl Level).

Surprised and Happy JJ decided to buckle and sign a reasonable deal.

Proves you aren't going to win in a 'stare down' contest with Poles. 😉

He wanted to be the top-paid CB because he declared himself the best.

He got a damn good deal, and so did the Bears.

Here are the current figures from OTC.

I guess everyone on that list will leapfrog JJ on their next deal, causing JJ to want more money.

NFL's highest-paid cornerbacks in 2024 (average salary per year):

• 1. Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander: $21 million
  • 2. Browns cornerback Denzel Ward: $20.1 million
  • 3. Dolphins cornerback Jalen Ramsey: $20 million
  • 4. Bears CB Jaylon Johnson: $19.8 million
  • 4. Chiefs CB L'Jarius Sneed: $19.8 million
  • 6. Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey: $19.5 million
  • 7. Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore: $19.4 million
  • 7. Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs: $19.4 million
  • 9. Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White: $17.3 million
  • 10. Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis: $14.8 million

6 minutes ago, Pixote said:

My guess is that JJ and/or the new? QB will demand a new contract and threaten to hold out if it is not received by year 3 (assuming they are holding up their end of the bargain and performing at the Pro Bowl Level).

Surprised and Happy JJ decided to buckle and sign a reasonable deal.

Proves you aren't going to win in a 'stare down' contest with Poles. 😉

He wanted to be the top-paid CB because he declared himself the best.

He got a damn good deal, and so did the Bears.

Here are the current figures from OTC.

I guess everyone on that list will leapfrog JJ on their next deal, causing JJ to want more money.

NFL's highest-paid cornerbacks in 2024 (average salary per year):

• 1. Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander: $21 million
  • 2. Browns cornerback Denzel Ward: $20.1 million
  • 3. Dolphins cornerback Jalen Ramsey: $20 million
  • 4. Bears CB Jaylon Johnson: $19.8 million
  • 4. Chiefs CB L'Jarius Sneed: $19.8 million
  • 6. Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey: $19.5 million
  • 7. Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore: $19.4 million
  • 7. Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs: $19.4 million
  • 9. Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White: $17.3 million
  • 10. Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis: $14.8 million

The NFL is a composite of huge egos and JJ having a great year pushed him up the ladder. He's on the SCORE weekly during the season and he's a good guy, he signed because it's a good deal and players are realizing Poles won't over pay. Plus he wanted to be here, on to the next story.

1 hour ago, adam said:

right so he's trade bait after the 2026 season rather than getting nothing we could get a second or third - Poles absolutely knows how to play this draft and trade game with the cap.

It really makes you realize how mismanaged our team has been for such a long time. I have a feeling that the new Bears era is about to begin.