Bears trade for Keenan Allen WR

ASHKUM BEAR

13 hours ago, adam said:

For anyone worried about Allen's age, which is a minor concern. Players 32 or older have hit 70-900 55 times since 2000. So there is an average of 2 players 32 or older hitting those totals every season. The last guys to do it were Thielen, Edelman, Fitzgerald, Smith, Boldin, Johnson, and Roddy White. 

The one thing that age doesn't account for is games played. People talk about mileage on RBs, but it is the same for any position. Allen missed some time early in his career, so he only has appeared in 139 games. So of the players with 10K receiving yards since 2000, Allen has the 4th fewest games out of 26.  Davante has 150g, Evans 154g, Julio 166g, Steve Smith had 219g, and Fitzgerald had 263g (which is insane). So it is likely that the Bears can get 2-3 good years out of Allen if they want to, without it being much more of a risk than his last season in LA.

Also, a fun fact, who do you think is taller Davante or Keenan? I was surprised to find out that Allen is an inch taller.

Good stuff. also, Allen isn't known a speedster, but as a route runner. Raw speed loses a step after 30, but route running ages like fine wine. We cant expect him to play at 40 like Rice did. But Rice was a route runner too, and there was no way Randy Moss could have played that long, because his game depended on his speed.

So I think Allen still has some left in the tank. Maybe even a few years.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Good stuff. also, Allen isn't known a speedster, but as a route runner. Raw speed loses a step after 30, but route running ages like fine wine. We cant expect him to play at 40 like Rice did. But Rice was a route runner too, and there was no way Randy Moss could have played that long, because his game depended on his speed.

So I think Allen still has some left in the tank. Maybe even a few years.

His combine 40 Time was 4.71. He has suddenness and expert route running. Don't think losing a step matters. Those types play longer. I think he could be a one and done. He got traded because he wouldn't restructure his contract. He's not extending a contract for peanuts.

I have to find it, but someone had a breakdown of the current Bears receivers (including Swift) against man and zone. Basically there is a cheat code no matter what coverage, someone will be open on every play.

Also, Waldron last year:

Lockett - 122 targets, Metcalf - 119 = Moore and Allen are gonna cook.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:05 AM, adam said:

I have to find it, but someone had a breakdown of the current Bears receivers (including Swift) against man and zone. Basically there is a cheat code no matter what coverage, someone will be open on every play.

Also, Waldron last year:

Lockett - 122 targets, Metcalf - 119 = Moore and Allen are gonna cook.

I wonder where Waldron wants Keenan lining up. He was a primary slot wr with the Chargers until this year they moved him all over.  Tyler Lockett was a good slot wr with Waldron, so I project that is where Waldron plays him.  Moore plays mostly outside at X, which is where DJ Metcalf plays the most at but Moore might fit in better at Z (Steve Smith/Hines Ward) leaving the X a priority which would be a perfect fit for LSU WR Brian Thomas Jr. 6'4 209 4.33 40.   

This idea has trade down all over it.  Trade 9 to Raiders for 13 for a 2024 3rd.  Select WR Thomas Jr at 13 who's height and speed resembles Metcalf.

2024 Draft 

1 Caleb Williams QB. USC

T13  Brian Thomas Jr WR LSU

75 Zach Frazier C W Virginia 

T77 Bralen Trice DE Washington

105 Tyler Davis DT Clemson 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I wonder where Waldron wants Keenan lining up. He was a primary slot wr with the Chargers until this year they moved him all over.  Tyler Lockett was a good slot wr with Waldron, so I project that is where Waldron plays him.  Moore plays mostly outside at X, which is where DJ Metcalf plays the most at but Moore might fit in better at Z (Steve Smith/Hines Ward) leaving the X a priority which would be a perfect fit for LSU WR Brian Thomas Jr. 6'4 209 4.33 40.   

This idea has trade down all over it.  Trade 9 to Raiders for 13 for a 2024 3rd.  Select WR Thomas Jr at 13 who's height and speed resembles Metcalf.

2024 Draft 

1 Caleb Williams QB. USC

T13  Brian Thomas Jr WR LSU

75 Zach Frazier C W Virginia 

T77 Bralen Trice DE Washington

105 Tyler Davis DT Clemson 

He is my 4 th choice at WR . ( after the big 3) Most likely to get. Played with Daniels if we go that way.

• adam changed the title to Bears trade for Keenan Allen WR
47 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Keenan Allen just showed up to Caleb’s pro day with his Bears gear on. 

https://x.com/bradbiggs/status/1770491479804518865?s=46&t=cLrE-3h2uw3rACxhQZYEvg

Cool on Keenan to do that.  Not a huge stretch given (I assume) he lives in the LA area....  but still to show up for morale support is cool on him.  Based on this alone, I like the Allen signing.  

And at 6'2" he doesn't look that much taller.  

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Cool on Keenan to do that.  Not a huge stretch given (I assume) he lives in the LA area....  but still to show up for morale support is cool on him.  Based on this alone, I like the Allen signing.  

And at 6'2" he doesn't look that much taller.  

There was a bunch of people at the combine saying that Caleb was every bit of his height. NOt saying he is 6-3 but he is not small.  There is abig difference from 6-1 or almost 6-1 without cleats on vs. being 5-10 with cleats on (which is Doug Flutie).  And Drew Brees is same - he was 6ft with high cleats on.  

3 hours ago, Bill said:

I now have every game of the Bears on must watch this coming season.  Could be something special.  And I would love Ashkum's draft

With only 4 draft picks, and knowing how Poles likes to move around the draft board it will be interesting. For sure we get 2 quality picks and maybe an contributor at 75. The key to the draft will be how much is someone willing to give up for Caleb and does he view another prospect as close in value? 

It might just be straight forward and take Caleb and try to improve the roster after the draft. The key will be , does pick 9 create a value we don't see right now? How to guess at that. 

2 hours ago, ChileBear said:

He is a USC alum, has a home in SoCal, so not a surprise he was there. But I get the joke. 😆

yeah, and I guess that he and Caleb have hung out before too. But youre right, it's not like he flew in. But he did already have his Bears stuff on.

Also, apparently on ESPN, Caleb was asked about the Bears roster and he said "and now we have Keenan here for a 4th rounder" and in slipping up and saying "here" some people think that's a sign that it's all a done deal.

I doubt very highly that Poles has told Williams it's for sure though - not until he gets his Halas Hall visit and whatever tests he wants to put him under (remember Wright last year) - and I dont think it's that the tests are necessary for the decision, but if you already tell the guy it's 100%, then how are you gonna test him after that with a straight face? LOL

It's like a weird dance - they both know where it's going but they're still pretending they don't - maybe that's what's making it awkward? They arent "teammates" yet.

I do think that once Caleb gets established, if he becomes great, he might take an alpha roll on the team over Eberflus and Poles - and while that's generally inappropriate, he might also drag everyone in the building to super bowl wins. Maybe Caleb will be the accountability we needed. And I wouldnt hate that.

20 minutes ago, adam said:

When is the last time you saw an active player attend a pro day? 

right, but unless Caleb invited him, you cant really take any hidden meaning from it?

For example, and Im totally making this up, maybe Caleb isnt sold on the Bears and has told them he is interviewing them too. Then the bears ask Allen to show up to try to convince Caleb.

Im not saying that's true, Im just saying how different scenarios could all fit Allen's attendance?

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

IMG_6782.jpeg

No, he is an alum, and visiting his old teammates.

Allen is not a USC alum (he went to Cal) and has not played college ball with any players on the USC team other than Velus back in 89.

19 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Chile is right, former USC player, he's just hanging with alumni.

Who is a former USC player? Keenan Allen played for California, not USC. He is not an alum.

8 hours ago, ChileBear said:

He is a USC alum, has a home in SoCal, so not a surprise he was there. But I get the joke. 😆

Where are you getting this? Allen played at Cal, not USC. 

51 minutes ago, adam said:

Where are you getting this? Allen played at Cal, not USC. 

Heard that on Carmen and Yerko ESPN Chicago. But I guess he did play at Cal