Fields traded to Steelers (for real)

dawhizz

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Obviously Poles felt that clearing out a QB controversy was worth losing that 3rd rounder.

As for Poles speaking at the combine ruining the value, that only matters if there is only one team interested. If two teams saw him as a starter, theyd have to bid with each other and then true value is established?

We will probably never know anything other than the result. Why wait until after free agency is this far along before making the trade? For me, Poles couldn't even get what the Steelers got for Pickett, and they are telling the Bears that they would rather have Fields over Pickett. Very odd timing on this, and the team is left empty handed in this year's draft. The entire time, it was get an extra pick or two back with the Fields trade.

My fear is that they are going to trade back out from #1 to recoup trade value now, it would be so Bears to do so.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, adam said:

My fear is that they are going to trade back out from #1 to recoup trade value now, it would be so Bears to do so.

Please God no.

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Please God no.

I know man, but there have been enough of those so far to think it is actually possible. 

I assume they wanted this done before the USC Pro Day, and that date was fast approaching. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

I know man, but there have been enough of those so far to think it is actually possible. 

I assume they wanted this done before the USC Pro Day, and that date was fast approaching. 

I think Poles is doing pretty good and will do the right thing here. We are in a really good position.

1 hour ago, CrackerDog said:

I’m embarrassed to have believed in Poles

Yeah to say I’m disappointed would be an understatement.  Not so much about Justin leaving (that sucks) but to me there still seems to be more holes than high end - quality draft picks left.

Oh well I guess we have to trust Poles knows what he’s doing.  

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah to say I’m disappointed would be an understatement.  Not so much about Justin leaving (that sucks) but to me there still seems to be more holes than high end - quality draft picks left.

At this point it has to be a trade back from #9 to get at least a 2nd or 3rd rounder back, then make sure you get an Edge and WR in 2 of the top 3 picks. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

At this point it has to be a trade back from #9 to get at least a 2nd or 3rd rounder back, then make sure you get an Edge and WR in 2 of the top 3 picks. 

I think there is a chance - all that said you want blue chippers. If you think you got one at 9 and there aren’t many more on board - you stay there and get a blue chip qb and blue chip wideout or olineman. 

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I don’t know, I feel like even without a trade down, Poles could pretty effectively address the current holes in the roster in the draft. The holes, as I see them, are QB, DE, WR3, and G/C depth. So you could just go:

1a. QB

1b. DE

3. WR (should be some good guys still available in this class: Wilson, Burton, Legette, Walker, even Brenden Rice who would be nice to pair with Caleb)

4. C (can still get a decent developmental C here like Nourzad, Limmer, maybe Van Pran) 

Feels like the roster is in pretty good shape after that. 

3 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

I don’t know, I feel like even without a trade down, Poles could pretty effectively address the current holes in the roster in the draft. The holes, as I see them, are QB, DE, WR3, and G/C depth. So you could just go:

1a. QB

1b. DE

3. WR (should be some good guys still available in this class: Wilson, Burton, Legette, Walker, even Brenden Rice who would be nice to pair with Caleb)

4. C (can still get a decent developmental C here like Nourzad, Limmer, maybe Van Pran) 

Feels like the roster is in pretty good shape after that. 

I agree. I think the above is what happens unless one of the top 3 wideouts are there or Joe Alt is there. 

I think our roster is getting stocked, and it's time to add blue chippers.

WR, Bowers, OT or DL with pick #9.

We've filled a bunch of holes with stopgaps., and one of those positions is gonna get a big upgrade.

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I agree. I think the above is what happens unless one of the top 3 wideouts are there or Joe Alt is there. 

Yeah, with WR and DE both big needs the intrigue at #9 for me is (1) do you take Nabors or Odunze if they’re there, (2) if they’re gone, is there a DE you like enough not to trade down. 

As I think more, I also could see DT depth being a bigger priority than C if we don’t address it t early. You have three guys who can play there currently (Bates, Shelton, Kramer) and really only three quality DTs (Dexter, Billings, Pickens) although maybe Walker kicking inside sometimes helps with depth. 

34 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

This move is a drop in the bucket.  Calm down gents.  Better things are coming.  We have become high on possibility.  Reality is, we are on the rise!

Plus, this move put extra sizzle on the number one...

Exactly... just a drop.  I'd have preferred the bag of chips in this trade. 

Poles being nice to Justin was getting him out of here right away.

Timeline:

Poles wasn't moving Fields as soon as the season was over. He had to vent his options first. I believe getting Caleb in for the 30 visit was to rush to the decision for Poles and Caleb blew him off so it took him more work to decide. He was not trading Fields until he decided. Then mac Jones got traded for a 6 th took away any value return for Justin. So he took the beat option for Justin going to Pittsburgh. Its a 2025 pick to end up wit the 4 th instead of the 6 th. He couldn't get it now. Ideally he should have kept him to raise his value as Caleb  developed. It would have been a circus. So he had to do it now.

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles being nice to Justin was getting him out of here right away.

Timeline:

Poles wasn't moving Fields as soon as the season was over. He had to vent his options first. I believe getting Caleb in for the 30 visit was to rush to the decision for Poles and Caleb blew him off so it took him more work to decide. He was not trading Fields until he decided. Then mac Jones got traded for a 6 th took away any value return for Justin. So he took the beat option for Justin going to Pittsburgh. Its a 2025 pick to end up wit the 4 th instead of the 6 th. He couldn't get it now. Ideally he should have kept him to raise his value as Caleb  developed. It would have been a circus. So he had to do it now.

So we're drafting the guy who blew us off?  I'm just going to call him Princess.  Maybe they can put a unicorn and a rainbow on his helmet for him.  

2 hours ago, adam said:

What it comes down to is their own internal evaluation of Justin. If they didn't think he could improve enough to pay him, and based on the compensation, 31 other teams felt the same way, then what can Poles do? 

There would've been way too much drama in the locker room and with the fanbase, so this is an unfortunate set of circumstances. 

I don’t think I believe that. I think it has more to do with Poles getting “his guy,” and not the guy from the previous regime. Or probably it’s about finances? Or maybe even the whole Williams is a “can’t miss, generational”-prospect (which I don’t believe). We also don’t know what other teams contacted the Bears, but there is no way he’s thought of lower than some of the scrubs who have been signed.

7 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

So we're drafting the guy who blew us off?  I'm just going to call him Princess.  Maybe they can put a unicorn and a rainbow on his helmet for him.  

when he takes the Bears to greatness, will you recant this statement?

Hard to believe we live in a world where Kenny Pickett can warrant a 3rd round pick, but Justin Fields only nets a conditional 6th. I get the contracts play a part in the matter, but a 3 round difference in compensation is wild to me. I don't think Justin Fields is good, but he's certainly better than Pickett.

The reality of the situation is that Fields' lack of scheme versatility in combination with the contract and awful 4th quarter performances really cratered his value to teams. He played like a low-end starter this year and was in the bottom 3rd of the league in almost every major passing category. It sucks, but I'm glad it's over and we can move on to finally discussing the next soon-to-be quarterback in Chicago (Caleb Williams) with a clearer mind.

I think the problem was not so much the opinions of other GMs about Justin as the unusually large number of quality quarterback options available this offseason, many of which are obtainable without giving up draft capital. I'm not sure I ever remember so many quarterbacks moving to new clubs or, at the last minute, resigning with their team. Supply and demand. Although there was a huge demand, there were too many options available to fill the demands.

37 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

How exactly did Caleb blow the Bears off? I’m genuinely wondering, as I have not been analyzing the minutiae of Caleb like some, but the only thing I can think of was the top 30 visit, which seemed to be pretty mutual as far as rescheduling due to the travel involved. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/04/combine-takeaways-bears-plan-williams-draft-quarterback-fields

7 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Hard to believe we live in a world where Kenny Pickett can warrant a 3rd round pick, but Justin Fields only nets a conditional 6th. I get the contracts play a part in the matter, but a 3 round difference in compensation is wild to me. I don't think Justin Fields is good, but he's certainly better than Pickett.

The reality of the situation is that Fields' lack of scheme versatility in combination with the contract and awful 4th quarter performances really cratered his value to teams. He played like a low-end starter this year and was in the bottom 3rd of the league in almost every major passing category. It sucks, but I'm glad it's over and we can move on to Caleb Williams.

Kenny Pickett went somewhere where he won't start unless there is injury.  Justin has a chance, out of the gate, with a team that has offensive talent.

42 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

The reality of the situation is that Fields' lack of scheme versatility in combination with the contract and awful 4th quarter performances really cratered his value to teams. He played like a low-end starter this year and was in the bottom 3rd of the league in almost every major passing category. It sucks, but I'm glad it's over and we can move on to finally discussing the next soon-to-be quarterback in Chicago (Caleb Williams) with a clearer mind.

I agree with everything you just sent - but now let’s go. I’m so excited for the direction we are headed and let’s add two blue chippers and hopefully hit on one or two other picks!!! 

It's not a big deal to me either way, but just for the discussion, apparently Tomlin called Fields and told him his role was as a backup to Wilson for sure. According to one of the big reporter, but I don't remember which one said it. I'll try to find it.

I want to say it was Adam Schefter, but I'm not really sure.

Interesting note here that, reportedly, there was another offer with stronger draft capital. I doubt it was significantly stronger, n but that makes me wonder if maybe it was an NFC or maybe even NFC North team (Lions?) and Poles preferred to send him to the AFC. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39747405/nfl-justin-fields-steelers-bears-trade-russell-wilson