QB Selection Poll

adam

QB Selection Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB are you selecting in the draft?

• Caleb Williams
    • Jayden Daniels
    • Drake Maye
    • Bo Nix
    • Michael Penix
    • JJ McCarthy
    • Spencer Rattler
    • Other

30 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not so fast. Generally I don’t get too excited for the run up to the draft but for some reason this year is different.  I’m still in the ‘trade the 1st for more picks camp’ but yes I did like the interview earlier today…although it may have been a more veneer less substance. Need more info to draw some conclusions. 

Yes, I must admit I'm not 100% Caleb. Something tells me there is a hidden gem in this quarterback class. Yes, Caleb has awesome talents, but his shit stinks just like the others. If we draft Caleb, can we give him the support needed with such little draft capital? OR, would it be better to draft a player whose ceiling might be less lofty (at #2?), but because we got a huge haul of picks in the trade down from 1 to 2 (as an example), we would be able to solidify the OL with a top OC, add a WR to field with DJ & KA, a top Edge and a 3T (all within the first 3 rds) and still have an additional 2025 1st (or more) from the trade left over for next year.

I have softened some on Maye, like Daniels a lot, but now I am beginning to look more at the kid from Michigan. For some weird reason, I am getting a bit concerned about putting a rookie quarterback on the field without a fully loaded lineup. We've seen how that works time and time again. And don't doubt it for one minute: despite many of us advocating sitting a rookie quarterback for the start of the season, teams nowadays seem to rush their rookie quarterback onto the field.

Yes, Mahomes sat. Rodgers sat. Love sat (jury still out on him!) But will the Bears sit a rookie QB or throw him into action day one?

If we are going to drop the kid into action right away, I want him to have a fully loaded squad, offense, and defense from day one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Yes, I must admit I'm not 100% Caleb. Something tells me there is a hidden gem in this quarterback class. Yes, Caleb has awesome talents, but his shit stinks just like the others. If we draft Caleb, can we give him the support needed with such little draft capital? OR, would it be better to draft a player whose ceiling might be less lofty (at #2?), but because we got a huge haul of picks in the trade down from 1 to 2 (as an example), we would be able to solidify the OL with a top OC, add a WR to field with DJ & KA, a top Edge and a 3T (all within the first 3 rds) and still have an additional 2025 1st let over for next year.

I have softened some on Maye, like Daniels, but now I am beginning to look more at the kid from Michigan. For some weird reason, I am getting a bit concerned about putting a rookie quarterback on the field without a fully loaded lineup. We've seen how that works time and time again. And don't doubt it for one minute: despite many of us advocating sitting a rookie quarterback for the start of the season, teams nowadays seem to rush their rookie quarterback onto the field.

Yes, Mahomes sat. Rodgers sat. Love sat (jury still out on him!) But will the Bears sit aq rookie QB or throw him into action day one?

If we are going to drop the kid into action right away, I want him to have a fully loaded squad, offense and defense, from day one.

I don't think we have resources to fill all the gaps.  If we are to prioritize for the rookie QB that means the defense has to suffer without a 2nd decent DE, and we have to rely upon Pickens/Dexter to improve as a 3-tech.  Or does an elite defense give the rookie his best chance to win games versus relying on a rookie WR?  

19 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think we have resources to fill all the gaps.  If we are to prioritize for the rookie QB that means the defense has to suffer without a 2nd decent DE, and we have to rely upon Pickens/Dexter to improve as a 3-tech.  Or does an elite defense give the rookie his best chance to win games versus relying on a rookie WR?  

That's why I was questioning a trade down. We would still select one of the top three quarterbacks, but with the draft capital gained in a huge trade, we would have the resources to finish adding blue-chip players to the defense and offense.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

The best I've been able to do in mock drafts is to trade the 9 pick a couple of times.  It took me to around 20, but was able to pick up two ends and a 3rd.  I was able to draft EDGE, WR, WR and OG.  

I'm still praying for a miracle trade, but if Williams is the guy to walk on water, maybe it's already answered.

27 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Read a lot of QB evals, but there a lot of stats/trends/analytics here that I don’t feel like I’ve seen other places, so I figured I’d pass it along. 

https://underdognetwork.com/football/nfl-draft/2024-nfl-draft-qb-rankings-grades-and-profiles

great article. lots to digest. its always tough to read stats out of the context of the film, but there are definitely some interesting points here.

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

Read a lot of QB evals, but there a lot of stats/trends/analytics here that I don’t feel like I’ve seen other places, so I figured I’d pass it along. 

https://underdognetwork.com/football/nfl-draft/2024-nfl-draft-qb-rankings-grades-and-profiles

It's all beyond me.  The one thing I know, is that our new QB's skill has to be processing.  Without that, it's back to square one.  I really like where Poles came from, because he learned from the absolute best.

17 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's all beyond me.  The one thing I know, is that our new QB's skill has to be processing.  Without that, it's back to square one.  I really like where Poles came from, because he learned from the absolute best.

100% I think too many scouts, pundits, writers and fans focus on the physical tools and not enough on the mental aspect of playing the position.

This is why Jayden Daniels is down on my board. He's got tons of physical tools, and i can totally see some NFL coaches thinking "I can teach him how to play the position" but when you look at Justin, you see what the risk of that kind of thinking is.

If you were going to build a prototype QB body, you'd build Fields. But you gotta look at the software too.

59 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

100% I think too many scouts, pundits, writers and fans focus on the physical tools and not enough on the mental aspect of playing the position.

This is why Jayden Daniels is down on my board. He's got tons of physical tools, and i can totally see some NFL coaches thinking "I can teach him how to play the position" but when you look at Justin, you see what the risk of that kind of thinking is.

If you were going to build a prototype QB body, you'd build Fields. But you gotta look at the software too.

I think they completely take in consideration  everything but harder to measure the mental aspect of the game.  You can't measure heart, love of the game, how you react to success and failure. How much does ego affect your actions?

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think they completely take in consideration  everything but harder to measure the mental aspect of the game.  You can't measure heart, love of the game, how you react to success and failure. How much does ego affect your actions?

well i think everyone knew that Fields needed to increase his skills reading defenses, but no one could predict whether he would or not? I feel the same about Daniels. Maybe he will be great in 3 years, maybe not.

At least with Caleb we can see he has a lot of skill doing that already, so we dont need to project something he doesnt already do.

They don't base  success for a player because of a few good traits, it's a composition study of so many things it takes to be a high level QB in the NFL.  If it was that simple, there would be a lot more quality QBs, As of now it's hard pressed to find 20 true quality QBS in the league right now. 

I was looking at The 33rd Team rankings and they had Field's ranked 21st , so I used 20 as the dividing line for true starting QBs right now . 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

His body language is very obvious

No clue who this guy is and what his credentials are.   By the way if a QB is really smart about knowing his defense sucks he does all he can to make long drives and win time of possession and keep the D off the field.  Hero ball hoping for big plays and quick scores is not ideal.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

No clue who this guy is and what his credentials are.   By the way if a QB is really smart about knowing his defense sucks he does all he can to make long drives and win time of possession and keep the D off the field.  Hero ball hoping for big plays and quick scores is not ideal.  

in the pros youre right, but he did have a bunch of games with 40+ points

but for sure in the NFL every QB needs to learn how to move the chains. big plays are great, but then youre 1st and 10 again, so you gotta keep it moving.

Williams top 2 WRs were Tahj Washington and Brenden Rice, he now gets DJ Moore and Keenan Allen. His top TE was Lake McRee, now he gets Cole Kmet and Gerald Everett. 

Jayden Daniels could go from Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas to Kendrick Bourne and Demario Douglas.

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Williams top 2 WRs were Tahj Washington and Brenden Rice, he now gets DJ Moore and Keenan Allen. His top TE was Lake McRee, now he gets Cole Kmet and Gerald Everett. 

Jayden Daniels could go from Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas to Kendrick Bourne and Demario Douglas.

and while in college, your primary receiver is usually open, in the NFL you have to read defenses more. This is where Williams shines over Daniels for me.

If you cant look off a safety and play in structure all the talent in the world wont help you in the NFL. We should have learned that lesson by now after Trubisky and Fields.

It could be a giant smoke screen - but it does seem clear - Maye is likely trending to the #4 QB going off the draft board. With Caleb & Daniels the clear #1/#2 and McCarthy with a lot of helium and potentially jumping in front of Maye for some clubs (maybe not all) and we know the way this goes with QB's there are definitely teams with different looking boards.  

On 3/23/2024 at 12:16 PM, BearFan PHX said:

and while in college, your primary receiver is usually open, in the NFL you have to read defenses more. This is where Williams shines over Daniels for me.

If you cant look off a safety and play in structure all the talent in the world wont help you in the NFL. We should have learned that lesson by now after Trubisky and Fields.

I really like both LSU wideouts.  I know Nabers will likely be gone at 9 - but their other wideout is fantastic as well and I wouldn't be shocked if he had a better career than some of the other guys. He has all the tools and could be legit great and likely is 4th wideout gone - but possibility you can get him in the 15-20 range (maybe not). But the LSU guy, McConkey (Sp?) from Georgia, and a few of the others guys would be #7-#15 overall picks in many drafts and will likely get picked lower than that given the depth at the position. Makes you wonder if Poles has that sort of grade - does that give him the room to use a pick from next year along with one of his pick(s) this year to move up.

Or lest say he moves back to 12-14 to take a top DE or LT - does the ammo he got from that - give him enough comfort to than move back up into the low 20's to grab a wideout he thinks is Top 15 value in a typical draft. If so - I could see the trade economics make sense.  

By the way - I don't like that Poles won't be there. I feel like even if they know - they should go through the same process with all 4 of the guys. I don't think pro-days are to watch the guys throw - I don't think anything along those lines is going to be gleaned from a pro day (unless they really have limited tools or something).  But the opportunity to see what makes people tick on a 1:1 level - that can be valuable and you should maximize all of those chances. 

I guess the reality is - they will get that chance if they meet with Maye and have a true 1:1 with him. 

17 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

By the way - I don't like that Poles won't be there. I feel like even if they know - they should go through the same process with all 4 of the guys. I don't think pro-days are to watch the guys throw - I don't think anything along those lines is going to be gleaned from a pro day (unless they really have limited tools or something).  But the opportunity to see what makes people tick on a 1:1 level - that can be valuable and you should maximize all of those chances. 

I guess the reality is - they will get that chance if they meet with Maye and have a true 1:1 with him. 

I think it is just the logistics that have him missing NC Pro Day. LSU is on 3/27. Then NC on 3/28.  That would be a mighty quick turnaround, especially if he wants to wine and dine, Daniels, like he did Caleb after his workout.