Saints (7-8) at Bears (6-9)

Pixote

I really hope we keep Alex Brown and start him next year and use Anderson as a situational pass rusher.

From the mouths of kids and drunks! :cheers You got that right. Brown has earned a good contract. We can have one hell of a front 4 and then our LBs aren't too shabby, either.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about Brown is that he is so streaky though. Remember the string of games that got him his current contract? He had huge sack game against the Bills or Giants(4 or 5 sacks in a game) which followed a couple of other games with a few sacks, and the next week he had a huge contract and we never saw that kind of production again until the end of this year.

Im not saying I dont like him, because I do, Im just afraid we might see the "paid" version of alex brown which isnt quite as productive as the "wants to get paid" alex brown.

The thing about Brown is that he is so streaky though. Remember the string of games that got him his current contract? He had huge sack game against the Bills or Giants(4 or 5 sacks in a game) which followed a couple of other games with a few sacks, and the next week he had a huge contract and we never saw that kind of production again until the end of this year.

Im not saying I dont like him, because I do, Im just afraid we might see the "paid" version of alex brown which isnt quite as productive as the "wants to get paid" alex brown.

I wouldn't call his contract huge. I think he signed a 5 yr, $15 million deal which is very reasonable for someone who is a starting DE in this league.

Peace :bears

I wouldn't call his contract huge. I think he signed a 5 yr, $15 million deal which is very reasonable for someone who is a starting DE in this league.

At the time when he got paid it was a big deal. He got a lot of that money up front as well, and now he is playing for another contract, which is my point. The guy is a force when he is motivated, how do you keep him motivated?

At the time when he got paid it was a big deal. He got a lot of that money up front as well, and now he is playing for another contract, which is my point. The guy is a force when he is motivated, how do you keep him motivated?

I would disagree. Ogy have just signed a deal for over 33 million with us the yr before. We signed Brown for less than half of that. I do remember that much of the money was up front and that is why I was against trading him when he asked.

I agree about keeping Brown, but it will be tough to do with Bazuin waiting in the wings. I think we will keep him and maybe even re-work his contract, unless a team offers a good draft pick for him. If we do keep him, I think Idonije will make a full transition to DT and only play DE on Goal-line... can't ever have too many quality D-Linemen.

Also, McGowan has been surprisingly good at SS and I wouldn't mind him being brought back as the starter. I think we will just let Brown go.

I would disagree. Ogy have just signed a deal for over 33 million with us the yr before. We signed Brown for less than half of that. I do remember that much of the money was up front and that is why I was against trading him when he asked.

Ogy was coming off of a pretty big year and was traded for. Alex Brown was a 4th rounder who pushed his way into the starting lineup, there is a pretty big difference in what each was going to get at that time. Brown was paid pretty nicely for a short term of service.

But once again, my argument is not that the contract was huge, it is that Brown is an animal when he is motivated to get paid and not so much when he is already paid. So, do you pay him, or do you let him play out his contract and hope that the holdout threats dont become a reality next year?

I agree about keeping Brown, but it will be tough to do with Bazuin waiting in the wings. I think we will keep him and maybe even re-work his contract, unless a team offers a good draft pick for him. If we do keep him, I think Idonije will make a full transition to DT and only play DE on Goal-line... can't ever have too many quality D-Linemen.

Also, McGowan has been surprisingly good at SS and I wouldn't mind him being brought back as the starter. I think we will just let Brown go.

Brown is still under contract why would they release him. If the Bears go into next season with McGowan and Manning as the safeties they wont be able to run the cover 2 effectively.

Brown is still under contract why would they release him. If the Bears go into next season with McGowan and Manning as the safeties they wont be able to run the cover 2 effectively.

I could see the team just being tired of Brown and his injuries. I think the biggest thing is that all throughout camp he is the starter and captain, and then once the season starts he goes down and then the whole chemistry of the D gets messed up. The only way I can imagine Brown being brought back is for an incentive laden deal and where he will have to earn the job. McGowan however has shown he can step in and start.

I would not give up on Mike Brown unless the medical staff feels it is a lost cause for him to return effectively &/or a huge cap hit savings could be realized to be used for other needs. I do not think we save anything, maybe lose $$$ by cutting him. I say we keep him and hope he can stay healthy for 16 games!

I could see the team just being tired of Brown and his injuries. I think the biggest thing is that all throughout camp he is the starter and captain, and then once the season starts he goes down and then the whole chemistry of the D gets messed up. The only way I can imagine Brown being brought back is for an incentive laden deal and where he will have to earn the job. McGowan however has shown he can step in and start.

I dont understand why you keep saying this. McGowan himself has ended the previous two seasons on the IR, he is by no means any more of a sure thing than Brown is.

I dont understand why you keep saying this. McGowan himself has ended the previous two seasons on the IR, he is by no means any more of a sure thing than Brown is.

He's been more healthy then Brown over the last 4 years however, and is younger...

He's been more healthy then Brown over the last 4 years however, and is younger...

more healthy? One season finished without going on the IR means he should start next year? When Brown was as young as McGowan, he didnt go on the IR at all. Now a younger SS who has finished on the IR twice in his 3 year career should replace him because he was able to finish one out of three years? You need to set your sights higher

McGowan should be what he is, a backup.