Mike Martz for OC?

adam

Martz got fired because there are authority problems and Martz wants full control over the offense...

I would absolutely love Martz to come to Chicago. When the Lions were having there resurrection early in the season (6-2 start) I thought for sure Martz was going to be leaving Detroit (but to become a head coach). Now it appears he will be getting an OC job somewhere and I see no reason why Chicago couldn't be the place.

Martz is an offensive genius who seems to have learned from his failures late in his tenure in St. Louis (where he went away from the run as people forget he had a balanced offense early in his tenure in St. Louis). He did a nice job sticking with the run as best he could in Detroit but bottom line he didn't have any RB's and had to go away from it.

His schemes have proven to be excellent and while I don't know if the Bears have the personell (we certainly do not have the WR's that the Lions had) but I think we have better backs (and no we don't have good backs) and what I think are potentially better QB's (sorry, but I can't stand one Jon Kitna, although I admit he battled his butt off this season).

Lovie is also the type of guy that wouldn't have much of a problem handing over the reigns of the offense to another guy and there aren't many other guys I'd rather have the hands of our offense in.

Give me Martz, Mularckey, or Sporano.

After today's effort, I'd say that Turner probably saved his job. That means we're probably going to have alot to talk about throughout the season next year.

I will admit that I fully give Turner an A for the last two games play calling. My question is where was this playcalling the prior 14 games. I also have to say that the oline did a much better job blocking and picking up there assignments which really helped.

Going back to what Pix said, I think if the offense line played decent all season we wouldn't even be talking about Ron being fired and this is coming from one of the people that has ripped him more than anyone this year. I like a lot of things Ron does and I think he's a pretty smart offensive guy but the thing that bothered me was this teams inability to make any sort of adjustments (That and I was disgusted at the lack of deep balls called in Rex's first 3 games this season).

I must admit though, after these past two weeks, Turner may stick around and it could turn into a blessing in disguise. Also, the more I think about Martz, while I think he's smart, I do agree with LT that come playoff time the team would have a lot of trouble because it wouldn't be set to handle the cold weather conditions to at times make it out of the NFC.

True, this will be something to watch. I assume they would do it right away.

I expect we will see what happens relatively quickly (by the end of next week) in terms of if Ron will be back or not. I do think we will see the Bears make chances at a couple coaching positions (which has been consistent with what they have done in the past couple seasons) and one of those changes will surely be related to the offensive line coach (and you may see some different assistants at other offensive positions as well).

With Kyle/Rex probably sticking around, I'd say it makes it more likely that Ron's system or a similar system will be in place.

kyyle23 makes a good point...martz ran the ball less than 10 times in 4 games this season. i've also read where the o-line has had some shouting matches with him. they're OTs rank 1st and 4th in the league in sacks allowed. few people realize that matrz was the OC for only one season before getting the HC job, which he butchered...fact is, without a solid O-line, some speed, and a lot of dedication (Berrian), it doesn't matter who calls what plays if no one can execute them...

kyyle23 makes a good point...martz ran the ball less than 10 times in 4 games this season. i've also read where the o-line has had some shouting matches with him. they're OTs rank 1st and 4th in the league in sacks allowed. few people realize that matrz was the OC for only one season before getting the HC job, which he butchered...fact is, without a solid O-line, some speed, and a lot of dedication (Berrian), it doesn't matter who calls what plays if no one can execute them...

Welcome aboard and good post.

looks like Cam Cameron is gonna get fired tomorrow... How sweet would it be the have him as our OC and QB's coach?

The one thing I wonder is what happens if a couple top notch candidates end up being available, would the Bears reconsider keeping Turner when Cameron is out there (and Cam runs a system I really like). I understand that firing Cameron is because Parcells is going to want his people in there, but he really really got a raw deal.

The one thing I wonder is what happens if a couple top notch candidates end up being available, would the Bears reconsider keeping Turner when Cameron is out there (and Cam runs a system I really like). I understand that firing Cameron is because Parcells is going to want his people in there, but he really really got a raw deal.

I think Cameron is one of those that is a really good coordinator but not so great HC. There is no better QB coach then Cameron, IMO. He turned Gus freaking Frerotte into a probowler for a season and was the main reason why Trent Green became a perenial probowler. Plus, he turned Antwan Randle El into a very effective college QB. He is also a great offensive mind a play caller. If he doesn't get another HC job, which I don't think he will, we would be stupid not to consider him. He would be a perfect fit for us as a OC and QB's coach.

I do not think Turner is going anywhere, but it did not forsee R Rivera leaving either. If Turner is replaced, Cameron would bring great creditials to the job. God knows we need all the help we can get.

Martz, Cameron, Mularckey, & Sporano - 4 excellent candidates to replace Turner. If the Bears ever wanted to replace Turner, what better time to do so?

I do not think Turner is going anywhere, but it did not forsee R Rivera leaving either. If Turner is replaced, Cameron would bring great creditials to the job. God knows we need all the help we can get.

Martz, Cameron, Mularckey, & Sporano - 4 excellent candidates to replace Turner. If the Bears ever wanted to replace Turner, what better time to do so?

How could you not see that coming? Rivera was interviewing for HC openings during the off-week before the Superbowl, he was talking about getting a payraise during media interviews. This is something Turner will NOT be doing in the upcoming weeks. There is a big difference in the circumstances surrounding those two, Rivera left the Bears with a top 10 defense and in the Superbowl. Turner finished out the year ranked near dead last in every category and the Bears were 7-9.

Put me on record. If Mike Martz is our OC; I will boycott being a Bears fan for his tenure. He is F'n nuts. He single handedly lost the SuperBowl for the Rams by not running the football with an overly stubborn approach. If you think Turner is irratic by only running 20 times a game. Wait till you see Martz run it 10 times. While he is a brilliant mind, he also laments the choices it brings him. He makes some of the most head scratching calls I have ever seen. Plus, he hasn't done anything in parallel with Marshall Faulks decline. Hmm...

No way, no way in hell!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3177253

Ouch, Martz' son Tim got fired as well. Bad holiday in the Martz household.

Hmmm, can Martz change a traditionally west coast offense to the "greatest show"? I dont see a Holt and Bruce in their WR group, but Gore can definitely be comparable to Faulk in terms of running and recieving.

I dont think Martz has the time to turn it around though

Source: Lions fire Martz, promote Colleto, Brown to lead offense

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 2, 2008, 3:01 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

The Detroit Lions have fired offensive coordinator Mike Martz and promoted offensive line coach Jim Colleto and wide receivers coach Kippy Brown to run the offense in his place, a source in the organization told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Martz

Colleto will be named offensive coordinator and remain as the offensive line coach, while Brown is being promoted to assistant head coach and passing game coordinator, and will also serve as running backs coach.

Martz confirmed his firing to the Detroit Free Press.

"We fell short of what we wanted to do offensively, and I regret that," he told the newspaper.

In other changes, the Lions promoted Shawn Jefferson from offensive assistant to wide receivers coach and fired Martz's son, Tim Martz, as an offensive assistant.

On Sunday, after their season ended with a loss to the Green Bay Packers, members of the Lions offense said the blame should be on them.

"You can keep changing coaches, but every time you change them that's a new system,'' said quarterback Jon Kitna. "The reality is, the games that we lost, the majority, the times that things didn't go right, it was self-inflicted stuff.

"It wasn't a coaching thing where you were outcoached or they weren't putting you in a position to be successful. There were plays to be made, and we didn't make them for whatever reason that is.''

However, Martz is not expected to be out of work for long. According to media reports, the San Francisco 49ers will seek him out as a replacement for current offensive coordinator Jim Hostler.

Martz led the St. Louis Rams to the playoffs in four of his five full seasons as a head coach, including a Super Bowl after the 2001 season, and helped the franchise win the 2000 Super Bowl as offensive coordinator. The Rams went 51-29 in the regular season and 54-33 overall during his five full seasons as coach.

ESPN NFL reporter Chris Mortensen contributed to this report, which contains information from The Associated Press.

It would be an intriguing pick up to get someone like Martz. Especially given the Lovie connection at St Louis. And the fact that Turner SUCKS!!!

This could help in the development of Grossman (granted he would need a one year INCENTIVE LADEN contract to see what he could do). And release Griese to make room for a new QB...probably through draft.

Meanwhile, the way Martz likes to throw could help in getting the running game going a bit. And since Benson isn't going anywhere then drop one of the other two, preferably not AP and go to the Free Agent Market. Actually I would be ok with losing Benson alltogether myself.

If Berrian goes, find someone else in FA and or draft.

There you go... :bears