Trade Hester

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Yes, I would actually do it. Whether you look at my username and sig and don't believe me that I want to make this work, I want this to happen. I've heard all the dopes say we could get like one team's pick for every round, which is obviously BS. But what could we actually get? I'm thinkin' a 2nd and a 3rd from a team.

So we'd then have 1 1st, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, a 4th, a 5th, a 6th, and a 7th. Now, we can make that Derek Anderson trade and give up a 1st and a 3rd (no, we can't only give up 1 pick. if you want to try that, good luck getting him).

With the Anderson trade, we now have a 2 2nds, 2 3rds, a 4th, a 5th, a 6th, and a 7th, which is still great!

What do you guys think...

Hester has too much value with his current contract. He is worth more than a 2nd and 3rd. It is not like Hester is a one year wonder and is going to disappear like Desmond Howard.

Hester might be the most dynamic player in the league. You don't trade that type of talent for a QB who had one good year.

Also, Anderson would be an upgrade at QB, but with a bad O-Line and questions at RB, he would not really make up the difference lost with losing Hester.

:o

Huh? Please tell me you're joking, because if not...THAT IS JUST CRAZY TALK!

What does getting a few more picks get us? It's a crap shoot in the draft. We already hit the Lottery with Hester! We would trade possibly the best return man in NFL HISTORY, for some "Maybe-Who-Knows"? And I don't believe we'd get that much for him. Minnesota (and the rest of the league) learned their lessen from the Hershell Walker deal.

...and what do we have left?

We have the face of our franchise getting neck surgery, our best lineman getting leg surgery, adn...not much else!

Hester is all we've got! He was the only thing that made this season bearable!

Yes, I would actually do it. Whether you look at my username and sig and don't believe me that I want to make this work, I want this to happen. I've heard all the dopes say we could get like one team's pick for every round, which is obviously BS. But what could we actually get? I'm thinkin' a 2nd and a 3rd from a team.

So we'd then have 1 1st, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, a 4th, a 5th, a 6th, and a 7th. Now, we can make that Derek Anderson trade and give up a 1st and a 3rd (no, we can't only give up 1 pick. if you want to try that, good luck getting him).

With the Anderson trade, we now have a 2 2nds, 2 3rds, a 4th, a 5th, a 6th, and a 7th, which is still great!

:o

Huh? Please tell me you're joking, because if not...THAT IS JUST CRAZY TALK!

What does getting a few more picks get us? It's a crap shoot in the draft. We already hit the Lottery with Hester! We would trade possibly the best return man in NFL HISTORY, for some "Maybe-Who-Knows"? And I don't believe we'd get that much for him. Minnesota (and the rest of the league) learned their lessen from the Hershell Walker deal.

...and what do we have left?

We have the face of our franchise getting neck surgery, our best lineman getting leg surgery, adn...not much else!

Hester is all we've got! He was the only thing that made this season bearable!

Who do you expect to get for Hester then? Besides picks, that's all we could get.

Listen, if teams start kicking to Rashied, or whoever we have back there on kicks with Hester, he's a non factor. If teams start punting it out of bounds every time, he's a non factor. Why not trade him now? His value will never be higher.

Yeah...all we get are picks. ...with absolutely no guarantee they they will pan out! We know what we have in Hester. He's probably the best return man the NFL has ever seen. On top of that, there's an upside to him that we've not even tapped into. It' could be just a flash once in a while, or he could turn into a scary WR. I'd rather chance it with him,, than numerous picks in the draft.

You're wrong, if teams start kicking away from Hester...then we get awesome field position! Granted, our inept coaching staff and inpet players couldn't do much with it. With with a real big boy offense, that kind of field position is gold! Unless Ray Guy comes out of retirement, no other kickers are good enough for coffin corners. An out of bounds punt usually means a lousy kick.

Yeah, I'll agree that he has his highest value right now...but I don't want to even consider it. I don't think we'd get enough in return. We get a lot of mystery that could be bust or boom. Odds are...it's a bust. Just look at our track record...heck, look at every team's track record other than the dang Pats! Draft picks are usually busts.

Hester is simply something special. Something special needs to given in exchange. Picks aren't special enough. Not to mention, I don't believe teams would be willing to give that much up anyway.

Who do you expect to get for Hester then? Besides picks, that's all we could get.

Listen, if teams start kicking to Rashied, or whoever we have back there on kicks with Hester, he's a non factor. If teams start punting it out of bounds every time, he's a non factor. Why not trade him now? His value will never be higher.

It's an interesting idea that I have bounced around with friends of mine. Our conclusion is we can never get the value in return.

I agree with Mad - he is the best returner to ever play this game. Even if they do not kick to him he alters the field position. I would argue further that we have the best special teams coach in the league and I trust he will find new ways to get him the ball. He also took a step forward on offense this yr. I can see him only getting better on offense with another full off season of prep.

Devin is a player you cannot trade.

Peace :bears

That's why he's so valuable now. We lead the league in field position because they kick it out of bounds.

Next time think about the ineptitude of our offense before making a statement like that. Great, so he gets us great field position. That doesn't matter when you have a bad offense. With the trading of Hester, we could get more picks to address bigger needs to make our offense better, like 2-3 OL, 1-2 WR, and a RB.

I've heard many say that if we trade him, there will be riots. If there is riots in Chicago if the Bears do in fact trade Devin, then those people need to get a clue. You're going to lynch and riot b/c we make a move that could inevitably get us back to the Super Bowl? That's nuts. I'll take a ring or 2 then holding on to a player who will do nothing but set us up in good field position but will get wasted b/c of the inept offense we have, sell jerseys, put us in a situation next offseason where he will want $5-$7 million a year to run back kicks/punts and catch a few balls, and bring excitement. I'd rather have a boring (in a sense) team like the Giants and win then have 1 big star who will touch the ball 9-12 times a game. If we trade Hester, we get a 2nd, maybe a 3rd, and probably a 4th. The 2nd round through the 5th round is where Jerry Angelo makes his big draft splashes (see Nathan Vasher, Alex Brown, Mark Anderson, Charles Tillman, Mike Brown, Devin Hester, etc), so a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe a 4th rounder would potentially be great to get an exchange.

Now on to Anderson. Let's say the Bears make the Hester trade and get a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder. We now have a 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, 2 4ths, a 5th, a 6th, and a 7th. That is way too many picks and it'll be way too much money to spend on a bunch of guys who you don't know what you'll get out of them. That is why to trade our 1st, and one of our 2 3rds, we'll still have a 2 2nds, a 3rd, 2 4ths, a 5th, a 6th, and a 7th. With those, we could take a stud OL like Gosder Cherilus from BC with our 1st 2nd rounder, and with our 2nd 2nd rounder, an above average WR like James Hardy from Indiana, or Early Doucet from LSU. With our 3rd, we could take Johnathan Hefney, S from Tennessee, b/c all of us that are Bears' fans know how bad that position is on the team with the young guys we have back there and the consistency of Mike Brown's ACL tearing. With our 1st 4th, take a RB, like Kevin Smith from UCF, or Steve Slaton from WVU. With our other 4th, take another WR, like Jerome Simpson from Coastal Carolina (yes, Coastal Carolina. According to Todd McShay, he's been the most impressive WR in workouts. He's only 6 foot, but he has the longest arms of any player there, and the 2nd biggest hands, and that's including DL or OL guys), or another OL.

Just a thought...

I'm tired of being bashed for this. I just think it'll make our team better as a whole then to keep him around. That's all.

Bringing up a Hester trade is like bringing up a Jordan trade. It's gonna stir up a hornets nest. Chicago finally has another star they can see on National TV (commercials-espn highlights). Why not offer Hester to Cle straight up for Anderson-Cleveland can then put Hester and Cribbs back on all kicks (that would be sick).

I personally wouldn't trade Hester for Anderson or for picks. I believe if we can fix our line and make it the strength of the offense, the players we have can get the job done.

Personally I could see the logic in moving him, but it would come down to whether the Bears brass truly believes Hester can become an impact player. I am fully aware that he is the greatest return man to everp play (and this is after just two seasons) but in the return game it truly is relatively easy to keep the ball away. Yes, that is still valuable because it leads to the Bears getting the ball at the 40 more than any other team in the league. Bottom line if the Bears brass feels he can develop into a legit 1000 yard, big play WR, than you don't make the deal, but if he could, you make the trade knowing that the Bears have some capable return men on the roster (ie, Davis/Garret Wolfe/Nathan Vasher).

But if I'm talking trade, it would not be a 2 and a 3. The Bears drafted Hester with a 2 and a relatively high one at that so that is not good value for a player (basically trading him for what he is worth)....it would be for a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. I don't know if a team offers that (or a first this year and a first next year) but that is the only way I'd make that deal and at that point I think it would be worth at least thinking long and hard about making a deal (honestly, is it worth paying a pure return man that much money a year and we are going to have to renegotiate soon enough with him).

Still I love watching Hester play and given what he did the past month of the season (he looked to be growing as a WR) the Bears may truly have an offensive weapon.

Ouch! March 1st needs to hurry up and get here...bored posters with wild ideas are getting mauled here!

I think Hester 3:16 is just throwing something out there. We have lots of holes to fill, and not many opportunities to do so. We simply have the painfully Chicago-esque misfortune of having several needs in a year when the free agent market is thin.

Much like Mariotti's article, this site is falling victim to a dull and unexciting Chicago winter. We have little hope, and what does exist will be destroyed by our inept franchise management.

What really sucks about of all of this is the reality that Jay Mariotti is the face of Chicago to the sports world. Lovie, Lach, and Hester are mumbling mutes, so we're left with the greasy weasel representing us. No wonder the BOO-YAHs have no respect for Chicago...

I would have to say NO to trading Hester (his scoring production makes him the Bears best offensive threat and only player teams currently have to account for from a Def stanpoint). Although I understand your thinking but I doubt there is a team willing to pull off a H. Walker or even R. Williams multiple draft pick trade.

Atleast HESTER 3:16 did not propose that JA get with KW and trade Devin Hester to the White Sox in return for a QB of the Future (current Sox 3B of the present) & former College WR and current CF/ 4th OF Jerry Owens! Owens has good size and speed.

This would give the whitesox a leadoff hitter and center fielder in Hester while Josh Fields would imediatley battle for the starting QB! :lolhitting :lol:

No to the Devin Hester trade. You don't trade players that are special, you build around them. Only one year in the offense and yes it was a bit rough but give him another offseason to get fully integrated with at least 5-7 plays and I think he'll be fine. Just don't make any of those plays 1) reverse 2) WR screen. We need him off the LOS running a route so he can catch the ball on the run. Once those plays are working then you can come back and run the reverse or screen.

On field position: not only does it make the offense more likely to score it also makes our defense better since it makes the other team's offense drive further to score.

When he's in at WR he's almost assured of drawing a double team or at least enough other players keeping an eye on what he's doing that it should give the rest of the WRs or RB a better chance to make a play.

But if I'm talking trade, it would not be a 2 and a 3. The Bears drafted Hester with a 2 and a relatively high one at that so that is not good value for a player (basically trading him for what he is worth)....it would be for a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. I don't know if a team offers that (or a first this year and a first next year) but that is the only way I'd make that deal and at that point I think it would be worth at least thinking long and hard about making a deal

Hester was actually drafted #57 which is more of a low 2nd round pick. At the time JA said that Hester likely would have been a top 10 pick if he stayed in college one more year. At the time I was thinking, "Whatever." Now, there's no question that he's a top 10 talent. IMO, we'd have to get a "top 10 talent" for any trade involving Hester in order for it to be fair.

This becomes damn near impossible because of Hester's cap value. Hester's cap hit on the team for this year is $650,000 (thanks LT). A comparable "first round talent," Cedric Benson, has a cap hit of $3,375,000 (thanks again LT), over 5 times as much. Then you risk getting a turd like Cedric.

Either way, no deal dumping Hester is going to improve the team this year.

Let me ask you this: What exactly would you hope to gain out of those 2nd & 3rd round picks. I think the reason you're getting ripped on is that Angelo has actually made deal to acquire 2nd & 3rd round picks the past two drafts. Those years we have acquired:

2006: Danieal Manning & Dusty Dvoracek--Manning is mediocre at best, while Dvoracek, while showing potential, in two years has played in exactly 2 quarters of NFL football.

2007: Dan Bazuin & Michael Okwo--It's WAY to early to judge either of these guys, but the early consensus from what we've seen in training camp is bad, and bad. (I'm not 100% certain we received Okwo in the trade. It might have been Garrett Wolfe who was drafted immediately before Okwo, but he's also beem mediocre at best.)

So let me put it this way: Would you trade Hester for Manning & Dvoracek or Hester for Bazuiun & Okwo/Wolfe? I think the consensus would be "Hell no!!!" Because that's what you'd be looking at.

Now you make the argument we do it in order to sign Anderson & give up a 1st and a 3rd. The problem is, we'd have to pay a ton of $$$ to sign Anderson. That means Berrian likely walks. So Anderson would be throwing to the trio of Moose, Bradley, Rashied Davis, possibly Hass, and whatever rookie we draft. Yikes thats ugly. Tom Brady would suck with that bunch.

That's basically why that trade scenerio is bad and not realistic IMO.