Now what??

Alaskan Grizzly

So, onto day 2. Jerry Angelo has proven his ineptitude at grading Offensive talent once again. I too am sorry for the wasted 2nd round pick (way better picks still available at that time). However, the Bears open with two picks in the third round. Who do you like to try and pull this thing out? At QB - Brennan, Woodson, Ainge or ??? How about at WR? It looks as though there are few Hawaii WR's still available...could that mean something??? Or how about Early Doucet??? He is still there.

Speaking of "still there" and from LSU..how about Jacob Hester? He could be a FB pick and put in the backfield in tandem with Benson. That would be an interesting combo.

I feel that not getting Flacco is really going to hurt the Bears in the long run. Williams maybe was a good round 1 pick but really, wouldn't any other OT do? Especially if they could be gotten in the 2nd round? Mendenhall would have been a real nice "feel good" pick (being he's a hometown hero and all) but at least he didn't end up with the Packers or Lions. Bad enough to have to face AP twice each year.

Don't give up complete hope TerraTor, not just yet. On to day 2....

Please tell me what OLT was available in the 2nd rd that would be any more than a work in progress and a bench warmer for at least 1 or 2 years. By the end of the 1st teams were reaching big time for OL prospects because after the 1st 6 it was a crap shoot.

Please tell me what OLT was available in the 2nd rd that would be any more than a work in progress and a bench warmer for at least 1 or 2 years. By the end of the 1st teams were reaching big time for OL prospects because after the 1st 6 it was a crap shoot.

Agreed. When the Bears came up in the second, the pickings at OT were very slim.

Agreed. When the Bears came up in the second, the pickings at OT were very slim.

I agree with your agreement. Both with the pick & that long hair sucks. The fact teams were getting stupid to get those cherished offenisve tackles is all the proof we need that this was a damn smart pick. You can argue whether we should have taken Albert, Otah, or Williams, but as of right now, Williams is the most NFL ready LT rookie available.

Well for one, Corey Clark from Texas A&M. He is the same size and actually more regarded for his Run blocking than Williams. (Not to use a pun) But isn't that one of Chicago's forte's? There is a whole slew of 6'6" 300 lb Tackles still available and being that Tackle is not a "skill position" I don't think a lot of future hopes should be put on a position like Tackle...not enough for 1st round anhow.

Besidess, whatever happened to Marc Columbo? He was a "draft day 1st round bust" for the Bears but has since gone onto a much more prestigious career in Dallas and making Pro Bowls. He spent his share of sitting on the pine. while in Bear uniform.

Well for one, Corey Clark from Texas A&M. He is the same size and actually more regarded for his Run blocking than Williams. (Not to use a pun) But isn't that one of Chicago's forte's? There is a whole slew of 6'6" 300 lb Tackles still available and being that Tackle is not a "skill position" I don't think a lot of future hopes should be put on a position like Tackle...not enough for 1st round anhow.

Besidess, whatever happened to Marc Columbo? He was a "draft day 1st round bust" for the Bears but has since gone onto a much more prestigious career in Dallas and making Pro Bowls. He spent his share of sitting on the pine. while in Bear uniform.

Columbo was injured in his rookie year and eventually given an injury settlement.

Chris Williams is universally regarded as a "top shelf" left tackle talent. There's always a 6-6 300 lb tackle with tons of ability available, (see Mitchell, Quasim) but that doesn't mean they're worth a shit.

With the #14 pick the Bears drafted:

1. Our most pressing need

2. The best player available

The pick of Forte is more up for debate. But let me ask you this: What RB is available entering round 3 that's better then Forte? It was a "need" pick, and we took the best guy we thought was available.

I have always been a Mendenhall supporter in fact i was hoping that they moved back into the first to get him (Damn Pitt) but Chris Williams is one the best LT prospects in this draft and can start day 1 moves Tait to the RT Upgrade at 2 positions. Duane Brown the last OT chosen in the first isnt even expected to start for Houston he's a development pick. So I doubt the same value could be found in the second. Im calling it now Forte will be the starting RB when the season starts, watch his youtube hes sneaky fast and breaks tackles. Add a Guard and a WR in round three this offense might do something. Good first day i think.

I have always been a Mendenhall supporter in fact i was hoping that they moved back into the first to get him (Damn Pitt) but Chris Williams is one the best LT prospects in this draft and can start day 1 moves Tait to the RT Upgrade at 2 positions. Duane Brown the last OT chosen in the first isnt even expected to start for Houston he's a development pick. So I doubt the same value could be found in the second. Im calling it now Forte will be the starting RB when the season starts, watch his youtube hes sneaky fast and breaks tackles. Add a Guard and a WR in round three this offense might do something. Good first day i think.

I agree 100% with this. We took LT right where we needed to. I also see the drafting of Forte signaling the eventual end of Benson in Chicago. Unless he gets his head out of his ass, he is done in the NFL.

Peace :dabears

I feel that not getting Flacco is really going to hurt the Bears in the long run.

Where would you have liked us to draft him??? Balt took him at 18. There is no way we could take him in the first round given our other needs (O-line, RB).

I agree 100% with this. We took LT right where we needed to. I also see the drafting of Forte signaling the eventual end of Benson in Chicago. Unless he gets his head out of his ass, he is done in the NFL.

I think that's what I dislike the most about the Forte pick: it signals the end of Benson. Not only that, but it severely limits the carries for Wolfe. Essentially it's making two high round draft picks worthless.

I really think that if the Bears did serious upgrading of the OL, Benson would have progressed, if not even fulfilled his promise. I just don't like it. Just like the Benson pick, I think it's a huge mistake when considering other needs on the team.

I hope the guy does well, turns into the next superstar RB, and tears the league a new one. But no matter what he does, I'll always think that RB wasn't a high enough need.

(All of the above can be disregarded if it turns out that Benson's injury is much worse than has been let out.)

Just a lil FYI before i get into this, I am not new to this board, i went by the name scs787 or 2nd_city_saint787 i dont remember which one it was and even if i did i tried them both and put in a password 3 times for each so both those accounts were locked so now im goin with somethin ill remember a lot easier. So no welcome aboard posts are needed lol....

I like the Williams pick in the 1st round, I mighta took Albert over Williams but nonetheless I woulda been outraged if they didnt take an O-Linemen. Aside from maybe "Run DMC" no running back would look good in this backfield behind what we had. THis pick makes the line immediately better (barring williams being a bust which i pray doesnt happen) because this allows Tait to move over to the right side which i believe he could play pro bowl caliber football.

I like everyone else dislike the Forte pick in the 2nd round. I know the bears wanted to get him but in the 2nd seems like a big reach. Like i said before i think it was just a case of the bears really wanted this guy and felt if they skipped him he wouldnt be there in 3rd. Personally I woulda waited till the 3rd round and took Brohm or Henne in the 2nd and either Charles, Choice, or Forte in the 3rd.

now back to the subject on hand, Now what???

there are 2 players im kinda intrigued by, and those players are Mario Manningham and Dan Connor.

Manningham could have easily gone in the 1st round butttt there are some concerns with weed. The mans got talent and has apologized i think so why not take him and fill one of our needs??? If he

I may be the only one in the world even thinking about Dan Connor to the bears but with Urlacher bitching and moaning about a contract I wouldnt mind adding this kid who i thinks gonna be a stud in this league. Id think about taking him if hes there and there are no reaches at WR.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the bears grabbing these kids

id like to go with Manningham or Earl Bennett as our 1st 3rd rounder and hopefully either Roy Schuening or Mike McGlynn as the 2nd 3rd rounder, if both of those guys are gone id go with best OL available or if Booty is still there id grab him.

Think of it this way, if Forte pans out, and Benson finally produces, we are much better off and can have a very good running game once again.

I agree, if Benson has shown anything it's that he's not a self motivated player unfortunately to the extent where I question his desire to play football. Having the tools is one thing, knowing how to use them or being motivated to use them is an entirely different thing. Bringing in a guy you drafted second round #44 overall tells me that they envision him being more than just another warm body at RB but to push for the job. This is the only situation where Benson has looked good with any constancy. When Jones was brought in he pushed Benson.

Overall I'm happy with the picks Williams strength at this point is his pass protection and he needs to work on his run blocking. That is the only concern I have with him. My memory may be cloudy about last year (possibly trying to block - no pun intended - it out) but we seemed to give up sacks with an alarming frequency last season regardless of who was back there at QB. Drafting Williams allows us to move Tait back to his natural RT spot, while Williams takes over LT, we pick up a guard and possibly another OL on day two. I think it was a need pick and one of the best OT was available and we grabbed him. Having Mendy there at 14 would have made for an interesting pick and a part of me wanted them to pull the trigger and take him but I'm happy with this choice.

Round 2, I like what I've seen of Forte so I'm pleased with that pick as well. It brings competition to the RB table and will either push Benson to play to his potential or push him out of town (I'd prefer the latter, I'm tired of Seabass)

Round three will be interesting. Do we take a QB. We currently have two QB's on one year deals so between the two it will be QB survivor Chicago style. The current situation concerns me a little. Both QB's have shown promise both have shown failure. Yet those are our only QB's on the roster and neither is signed long term. If one of the two pans out they get extended, the other walks at the end of the season. If neither look good do we let them both walk and pin our hopes on yet another young guy? And who's to back him up? There are typically 3 spots on the roster for QB. I realize that who ever they draft or bring in before the start of the season will likely be given the starting clip holder position and the winner between Rex and Kyle will be the starter and the runner up the backup. That's how it will be planned to shake out this season. What about the future? This is a let's hope one of these guys steps up and can be that future and we'll build depth later. It's just that thought that if neither Rex or Kyle work out we possibly enter the offseason with two guys we have no intension of resigning, leaving us with the clip board holder to compete with two other new guys. Giving us a selection of QB's of which only one may have seen some actual game time. This is the situation we are dealing with at that position. Question is is this something we address early in the third. We have 2 third rounders right?

Forte was a bit of a reach but I felt he was the best all-around RB left so I'm ok with the selection. If Benson can't beat out AP for a roster spot he's gone. And AP plays specials teams well so Ced has an uphill battle.

Picking Williams was a no-brainer IMO. He was worthy of a mid-1st pick and he met our biggest need.

Dan Connor...I believe he was the LB they were talking about who can get in on many tackles but always seems go backwards when he makes a tackle. If he's going backwards in college he's not what you want and he won't replace Urlacher.

Where would you have liked us to draft him??? Balt took him at 18. There is no way we could take him in the first round given our other needs (O-line, RB).

As I mentioned before I would have preferred to have seen the Bears draft a skill position player vice someone like an OT in round 1. Offensive linemen don't work independently, but instead with 4 others, and shouldn't be paid as such. They can be had and gotten in later rounds (look at the list of available players and their colleges and you will see the large crop). In that line of thinking, Flacco should have been (IMVHO) the player the Bears went for in the first round. I had the same feeling about McNabb back a few years ago. But then again, I also liked Leaf better than Manning. So who knows?? <_>

As I mentioned before I would have preferred to have seen the Bears draft a skill position player vice someone like an OT in round 1. Offensive linemen don't work independently, but instead with 4 others, and shouldn't be paid as such. They can be had and gotten in later rounds (look at the list of available players and their colleges and you will see the large crop). In that line of thinking, Flacco should have been (IMVHO) the player the Bears went for in the first round. I had the same feeling about McNabb back a few years ago. But then again, I also liked Leaf better than Manning. So who knows?? <_>

Drafting Flacco at 14 would have been as a huge reach for a team needing immediate o-line and rb help. Flacco would have not played next yr. Williams is going to step right in and start for us.

Flacco at 14 would have been the only thing possible that could have been more ridiculous than Flacco at 18.

Couple of things:

1 Grossman has 1 yr remaining & Orton has 2 yrs (to correct a statement saying they both had only 1 yr remaining)

2. As much as I wanted Brohm, Henne, then Brennan. The only one we can really complain about really missing out on was Brennan. It would of cost us too much to trade back up for either Brohm/Henne at least our (1st) 3rd and 4th. I'd take Bennett and Stetz over a #3 QB as of right now. We got a potential Hines Ward and Doug Plank/Fencik. Our need at RB was also a higher team need b/c AP will either be cut or just a ST ace, Benson will either be injured, suprisingly cut, or come to camp as a legit #1 RB, and Wolfe is a change of pace 3rd down back.

Brennan could of been had w/ our 2nd RD5 and so could have Woodson. I like Dave TE, but that spot was the only obvious mistake. If we would have grabbed one of those two QB's, everyone would have gave the Bears an A.

• 11 months later...