Peter King gets it

jason

Favre should NEVER play for the Bears, or the Vikings for that matter.

Vomitous was the word he used. I completely agree. It's vomitous to consider the idea if you are a Packer fan losing Favre, or a Bears fan possibly gaining Favre. I know it's completely unrealistic, and will never happen, but it's mostly because Favre should be smart enough to know that playing for either the Bears or the Vikings would be a gut-punch to all his most loyal fans.

With that said, have Bears fans become so desperate for a competent offense that they are willing to push aside decades of a heated rivalry, decades of genuine anger and hatred, to sign a guy who has continually ripped Bears' fans hearts out for the better part of his career? It completely baffles me, and I'd hate the signing. As I've said, I consider it blasphemous.

Is there a reason for this? Is it a newer generation of Bears fans raised during the free agency period that has caused less of a rivalry? Or is it simply the fact that the rivalry has consisted of the Packers beating the Bears more often than not during Favre's career?

I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of Favre in a Bears jersey sickens me just as much as seeing McMahon in a Packer jersey.

I think what Peter King and so many other sports writers who speculate on "IF" Farve would sign with the Bears is that the Bears, VM, TP, JA, LS, RT, all the way down to the waterboy, would not sign him to a deal to start with. They may, and I say MAY, sign a QB cheap as a #3 if they see one they would like to have as an insurance policy if RG & KO go down to injury. That is about as far as the Bears will go at this point. They certainly would not sign Farve to a huge 1 year contract to play for the Bears in 2008.

It was bad enough when Mad Mac was in the hated land and Mongo said it was one of the most painful experiences that he ever put himself through. As much as I may admire what Bret did as a player, there is just no way in hell that there could be any justification to have Favre wearing a Bears uniform.

I think what Peter King and so many other sports writers who speculate on "IF" Farve would sign with the Bears is that the Bears, VM, TP, JA, LS, RT, all the way down to the waterboy, would not sign him to a deal to start with. They may, and I say MAY, sign a QB cheap as a #3 if they see one they would like to have as an insurance policy if RG & KO go down to injury. That is about as far as the Bears will go at this point. They certainly would not sign Farve to a huge 1 year contract to play for the Bears in 2008.

Agreed.

I think the funny thing about all this is that there is a possibe scenario that no one has considered: The Packers let Farve come back, and then after a ridiculously minor injury VERY early in the preseason, they simply IR him. That way, Rodgers gets to start, and Farve can't play anywhere else.

It may sound like a crappy thing to do, but what Farve is doing now is equally as crappy. The Packers hold all the leverage and they don't want him to play anywhere else.

Vomitous was the word he used. I completely agree. It's vomitous to consider the idea if you are a Packer fan losing Favre, or a Bears fan possibly gaining Favre. I know it's completely unrealistic, and will never happen, but it's mostly because Favre should be smart enough to know that playing for either the Bears or the Vikings would be a gut-punch to all his most loyal fans.

With that said, have Bears fans become so desperate for a competent offense that they are willing to push aside decades of a heated rivalry, decades of genuine anger and hatred, to sign a guy who has continually ripped Bears' fans hearts out for the better part of his career? It completely baffles me, and I'd hate the signing. As I've said, I consider it blasphemous.

Is there a reason for this? Is it a newer generation of Bears fans raised during the free agency period that has caused less of a rivalry? Or is it simply the fact that the rivalry has consisted of the Packers beating the Bears more often than not during Favre's career?

I don't know about anyone else, but the thought of Favre in a Bears jersey sickens me just as much as seeing McMahon in a Packer jersey.

AJ Pyrzinski was as hated as it got when he played for the Twins who were a constant thorn in the White Sox side for a number of years (including this year). In fact, he was involved in a lot of disputes. He became a FA after a year in San Fran and signed with the White Sox and has now turned into a fan favorite. There is typcially a legitimate reason you hate a guy that plays on a rival team (its typically because they are a good player). Ask any Sox fan if they hate AJ now and they won't. Hell, he was a huge reason the Sox won a World Series in 2005.

Torri Hunter was in the same boat and the Sox made a heavy push to get him and again, he would have been welcomed with open arms (why, because I don't give a shit what team you play for, if you are good and can help my team get better than once you join the roster and produce I'm gonna root like hell and start to like you).

Favre is an extreme case, given his long long history in Green Bay, but if he wanted to leave and come to Chicago the only people that should be pissed are Packer fans because he's leaving them to go to the rival, not Bear fans, who are significantly upgrading the QB position with a guy that isn't just class, but very very good (he's still one of the better QB's in the league).

It's one thing if a guy is a dick or a parole, but when all they did was play on your rival team, than if they are good and want to come over, sign em up. If Favre joined the Bears, you could bet your ass that I'd buy a Favre jersey.

Agreed.

I think the funny thing about all this is that there is a possibe scenario that no one has considered: The Packers let Farve come back, and then after a ridiculously minor injury VERY early in the preseason, they simply IR him. That way, Rodgers gets to start, and Farve can't play anywhere else.

It may sound like a crappy thing to do, but what Farve is doing now is equally as crappy. The Packers hold all the leverage and they don't want him to play anywhere else.

I will say this, he isn't going to come to the Bears because we clearly aren't a team close to winning a superbowl. For the Bears to win the superbowl, a lot of things would have to go right. If he became a FA, he'd strictly look at teams that are very good at every position with the exception of QB (clearly a season ago, the Bears would have been his best option, now, with no proven RB's or WR's and a line coming off a horrendous season, there isn't a chance in hell the Bears are one of his better options).

The Vikings are easily the favorites in that department. Giants would have fit had they not pulled out a superbowl win with Manning able to get himself out from under his brother's shadow.

I can understand what you're saying, yet in the other hand I read what this guy writes:

http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid...C2339731.column

and have to say to myself....Man it sure would be great seeing farve beat the crap out of the packers twice this year and add the ultimate insult if we made it to the superbowl. Boy oh boy Thompson would really look like a complete a$$ for running him out. I mean yeah, there's a huge rivalry between us and I would have to think that this wouldn't be ignoring the rivalry, heck I'd have to say that it would really make it even worse especially if we went to the big dance and won it. I would love for that to happen that would encourage me to become a troll and go to the packers's forum and gloat!!!

AJ Pyrzinski was as hated as it got when he played for the Twins who were a constant thorn in the White Sox side for a number of years (including this year). In fact, he was involved in a lot of disputes. He became a FA after a year in San Fran and signed with the White Sox and has now turned into a fan favorite. There is typcially a legitimate reason you hate a guy that plays on a rival team (its typically because they are a good player). Ask any Sox fan if they hate AJ now and they won't. Hell, he was a huge reason the Sox won a World Series in 2005.

Torri Hunter was in the same boat and the Sox made a heavy push to get him and again, he would have been welcomed with open arms (why, because I don't give a shit what team you play for, if you are good and can help my team get better than once you join the roster and produce I'm gonna root like hell and start to like you).

Favre is an extreme case, given his long long history in Green Bay, but if he wanted to leave and come to Chicago the only people that should be pissed are Packer fans because he's leaving them to go to the rival, not Bear fans, who are significantly upgrading the QB position with a guy that isn't just class, but very very good (he's still one of the better QB's in the league).

It's one thing if a guy is a dick or a parole, but when all they did was play on your rival team, than if they are good and want to come over, sign em up. If Favre joined the Bears, you could bet your ass that I'd buy a Favre jersey.

I don't think there is any comparison between the players you mentioned and Farv. Further, there is no where near the same sort of rivalry that there was/is between the Bears and the Packers.

I also disagree that the Packers fans would be the only ones upset. There are plenty of Bears fans who would be upset, and you can count me in on that. And judging from the comments thus far, there are at least a few guys here who would hate it.

I'm not sure there is a comparison between Favre and any other player of any other sport. He has been the face of my team's enemy for far too long for me to just look the other way. I'd feel nauseated if he signed with the Bears, and frankly, it disappoints me to hear any other diehard Bears fan say otherwise...especially going so far as buying his jersey.

Jason,

For the most part I agree with you. Although he'd probably be the best QB since Luckman if he were with us, something about having Favre on the team just makes me ill. Granted, once he wore the uni, etc...my nausea would probably clear up, but I agree that I've spent too many years truly dispising the player.

While I gave Rodman ad an example of a player loathed, then cherished by Chicagoans...it's not the same. I catully hated Laimbeer and THomas far more than Rodman. I could see myself really railing agasint those 2 far more than I did with Rodman.

As I mentioned, I root for the uni and even if it's our biggest enemy of all time in it, I'd root it on. But I sure as heck agree that I wouldn't dream of buying the jersey. I only buy ones that I think are or will be Bears legends. At best Favre would just be a mercenary for a year or 2.

I don't think there is any comparison between the players you mentioned and Farv. Further, there is no where near the same sort of rivalry that there was/is between the Bears and the Packers.

I also disagree that the Packers fans would be the only ones upset. There are plenty of Bears fans who would be upset, and you can count me in on that. And judging from the comments thus far, there are at least a few guys here who would hate it.

I'm not sure there is a comparison between Favre and any other player of any other sport. He has been the face of my team's enemy for far too long for me to just look the other way. I'd feel nauseated if he signed with the Bears, and frankly, it disappoints me to hear any other diehard Bears fan say otherwise...especially going so far as buying his jersey.

I think Favre is a dipstick and should stay retired. I hate the Packers but I think he is thoroughly screwing them. As a said before, the dude needs a hobby.

Finally, as great a player as he has been, I do not want him on the Bears.

Peace :dabears

ya but the Sox are scum bags. Youll never see the Cubs do anything like that *cough* edmunds *cough*

What Favre did last year with pretty much no running back was phenominal. The old dude still has game left in him. At first many Bears fans hated him, but they grew to respect his accomplishments. Imagine how the Packers would feel if Favre came to Chicago? Haha i would love it. I think Grossman could benifit from it also playing a season under him. I guess im a minority here but, i WANT Favre to be a Bear! Haha if he stays retired whatever, but if he's serious about coming back for another season and the Packers dont want to alienate Rogers, why sign on to the team you owned pretty much your whole career.....

What Favre did last year with pretty much no running back was phenominal. The old dude still has game left in him. At first many Bears fans hated him, but they grew to respect his accomplishments. Imagine how the Packers would feel if Favre came to Chicago? Haha i would love it. I think Grossman could benifit from it also playing a season under him. I guess im a minority here but, i WANT Favre to be a Bear! Haha if he stays retired whatever, but if he's serious about coming back for another season and the Packers dont want to alienate Rogers, why sign on to the team you owned pretty much your whole career.....

This is exactly to a tee how I feel about. Down to him helping Grossman, well said.

='jason' date='Jul 7 2008, 03:58 PM' post='41397']

Count me in on that. I respect Favre for all he has done. But getting Favre now, would be like bragging about nailing Pam Anderson after Tommie Lee got done with her. One, she's washed up at that point. Two, she gave her best years to the competition. If she were in her prime you give a testicle to hit that.

AMEN! There are just some things that are instinctually wrong.

Plus, think of how Packer fans would feel about that? Not that I give a crap, but they would burn Thompson's house down. It's ridiculous to think they would ever let him go to a divisional rival.

Its not the 1950's guys. And its an old school argument that gets less and less credible as the years go by. Same as comparing todays athletes to the old school ones and so and so could play in this era, etc.

If a hall of fame QB wants to come to the Bears and lead them to a Super Bowl, I think I could put my hatred for the PAck aside to watch that stuff.

And the second thing that I find hilarious is that all year long people rips King's butt about this and that, how he has no clue, etc. Oh NOW he gets it. BS, he is wrong on this too.

Never put weird jealousy feelings over the betterment of the team and winning.

He is right on this. Get the emotions out of the way and tell me what does Favre know of our playbook? Nada. Has he been working with our receivers during the offseason to build timing? Nope. Now he's just going to walk into Halas hall and totally revise our offense with our young WR corps. I don't see it. All I see is the Favre that threw 6 INTs in a playoff game showing up for us. We've already got a QB that can do that for us and he isn't making $12million.

There's a reason Green Bay kept the same offensive playbook for years despite different head coaches. If this were a different type of QB (i.e. cerebral type like Tom Brady) I'd be more inclined to make a decision like this. Adding a veteran QB for depth to the roster is a different story because he can come in and compete. Favre would be handed the keys before he got off the plane and it would be hard to take them away no matter how bad the performance. For all our QB question marks I just don't see this scenario helping us.