Why All The Booker Hate In Chicago?

'TD'

Seems like no matter what topic I read here, I read something about cutting Marty Booker? I just don't get it. The guy set almost every receiving record in Chicago Bears history in the time he was here. He's back now. No, he didn't light up the league while he was in Miami. He did probably match about what any receiver had did here though during that time with comparable QB''n.

If the Bears were going to cut underachieving veterans based on preseason games, then basically the whole famed Bears defense would be cut. It was out of the coaches mouth that his roster spot was safe. They had what, like 8 more receivers they had to evaluate this offseason. He didn't play into there plan then, and didn't get to shine.

I hope all the Cut Booker, Booker sucks, and so on commentors are ready for some crow when the season starts. I'm not saying he will make the pro bowl. I'm not sure this team is built to send any receiver to the pro bowl right now, but I am sure he will make many people here get out of there seats many times during this season.

His history here alone warrants a whole hell of a lot more respect then he gets here now. His short career in chicaco arguably the most prolific offensive career on the Bears since Walter.

Seems like no matter what topic I read here, I read something about cutting Marty Booker? I just don't get it. The guy set almost every receiving record in Chicago Bears history in the time he was here. He's back now. No, he didn't light up the league while he was in Miami. He did probably match about what any receiver had did here though during that time with comparable QB''n.

--------------------------------------His history here alone warrants a whole hell of a lot more respect then he gets here now. His short career in chicaco arguably the most prolific offensive career on the Bears since Walter.

I agree with you, many are down on him because he did not "wow" them in preseason. Marty has never been a "preseason warrior". He will show up in the games. He will not be the same Marty we had before the trade but I am sure he has enough left in the tank to help us improve our offense.

Based on his performance's in pre-season and training camp should Booker be guaranteed a place in the team? Probably not. However I'd rather have Booker out on the field when its 3rd and 8, deep in the 4th quarter and we trail by less than a FG.

Booker and Rashied are the only proven WR's on the team. Even though Booker may have lost a step, you know he is going to run his route 8.5 yards and fight for the ball. If he's not cutting in games, we have a different scenario.

When Booker was here the first time, he was always the type of player that sluffed the preseason. When it was game on he preformed and did that well. I have to agree to much hate for Book. I think a lot of fans dont remember his play with us. But thats thier loss.

Agreed wholeheartedly. When Booker was traded to Miami, I heard that he actually was very woeful and not happy about going to Miami. He really and genuinely liked being in Chicago. That is enough for me to want him in Chicago and even more for me to cheer him on and do as good as he can. He performed well and without the accolades that a lot of high profile WR's get. He is what the Bears need in leadership and setting the example.

Agreed wholeheartedly. When Booker was traded to Miami, I heard that he actually was very woeful and not happy about going to Miami. He really and genuinely liked being in Chicago. That is enough for me to want him in Chicago and even more for me to cheer him on and do as good as he can. He performed well and without the accolades that a lot of high profile WR's get. He is what the Bears need in leadership and setting the example.

AND we still have Wale

I've always liked Booker. Given his veteran status, I give him a pass for the pre-season. I'd like to see what he does starting on Sunday. That's when I'll start making an honest opinion on what he brings to the table.

I agree with you, many are down on him because he did not "wow" them in preseason. Marty has never been a "preseason warrior". He will show up in the games. He will not be the same Marty we had before the trade but I am sure he has enough left in the tank to help us improve our offense.

I've complained heavily about his lack of production in the preseason but I'm willing to give him a pass, but if we don't see production in the first couple games I think it is only fair to point out that it shouldn't come as a shock given a lackluster preseason and training camp. When I saw him on the football field, he just looked slow.

I've complained heavily about his lack of production in the preseason but I'm willing to give him a pass, but if we don't see production in the first couple games I think it is only fair to point out that it shouldn't come as a shock given a lackluster preseason and training camp. When I saw him on the football field, he just looked slow.

Unless you are one of the top players at your position, I dont buy getting a pass for the pre-season.

Booker better be productive in the first couple of games or I think it was a mistake to keep him over Rideau. And I am a fan of his from before. But he has hardly done anything recently so I think he has alot to prove.

Same with the defense. I dont think you get a pass coming off of a season where you were ranked 28th. So I hope they are going to "turn it on" or whatever switch they think they are going to flip.

But you need to take out pretty much complete lack of experience of #1 WR's in consideration. In our entire lot, only Booker has played the #1 WR position, and did it well for many seasons.

I know it's easy to knock Marty now. But, the same could be said for virtually every starter on defense as well... Yet, we're all willing to call it "pre-season".

Unless you are one of the top players at your position, I dont buy getting a pass for the pre-season.

Booker better be productive in the first couple of games or I think it was a mistake to keep him over Rideau. And I am a fan of his from before. But he has hardly done anything recently so I think he has alot to prove.

Same with the defense. I dont think you get a pass coming off of a season where you were ranked 28th. So I hope they are going to "turn it on" or whatever switch they think they are going to flip.

But you need to take out pretty much complete lack of experience of #1 WR's in consideration. In our entire lot, only Booker has played the #1 WR position, and did it well for many seasons.

I know it's easy to knock Marty now. But, the same could be said for virtually every starter on defense as well... Yet, we're all willing to call it "pre-season".

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!!!!

Peace :dabears

I know it is....

thats why I said the defense should not get a free pass for being lazy in the preseason.

And as far as Booker is concerned, its been several years since he even came close to the #1 receiver status.

He is just lucky that he came to a team whose coaching staff values reputation more than actual production.

But what do you propose we do about it? Do you bench the D and cut Booker?

I know it is....

thats why I said the defense should not get a free pass for being lazy in the preseason.

And as far as Booker is concerned, its been several years since he even came close to the #1 receiver status.

He is just lucky that he came to a team whose coaching staff values reputation more than actual production.

If the Bears were going to cut underachieving veterans based on preseason games, then basically the whole famed Bears defense would be cut. It was out of the coaches mouth that his roster spot was safe. They had what, like 8 more receivers they had to evaluate this offseason. He didn't play into there plan then, and didn't get to shine.

I hope all the Cut Booker, Booker sucks, and so on commentors are ready for some crow when the season starts. I'm not saying he will make the pro bowl. I'm not sure this team is built to send any receiver to the pro bowl right now, but I am sure he will make many people here get out of there seats many times during this season.

His history here alone warrants a whole hell of a lot more respect then he gets here now. His short career in chicaco arguably the most prolific offensive career on the Bears since Walter.

Agreed completely. I'll go one further. The hate for him seems to be more than that for Muhsin Muhammed, and he was near garbage for the Bears. MuhMuh was overpaid, had bad hands, rarely got open, didn't really mentor anyone, was nowhere near a go-to WR, and threw players under the bus.

I really think the WRs will look very good this year if the OL and QB play is mediocre or better.

It's just so pre-mature...

Before we start wanting to cut a vet like Matry, let's see him drop countless 3rd down passes for firsts,etc... I want to see him in real games before even remotely thinking "cut".

Agreed completely. I'll go one further. The hate for him seems to be more than that for Muhsin Muhammed, and he was near garbage for the Bears. MuhMuh was overpaid, had bad hands, rarely got open, didn't really mentor anyone, was nowhere near a go-to WR, and threw players under the bus.

I really think the WRs will look very good this year if the OL and QB play is mediocre or better.

So when he doesn't "Show up" in the regular season you better come with a better excuse than that. And if he has a good season then I'll give the Bears credit for getting him but until then I think he's just a waste of space.

If Book plays like crap, I have no problem eating crow. However, I won't feel bad about it because his cost is minimal and we still have Rideau on the practice squad.

Peace :dabears

I think most are missing the point on why Booker is here. He has a role as a veteran player who is capable of being the guy that can still make clutch cathces to help keep the chains moving as in getting clutch first downs when his number is called. I can not emphasize how important this role is for a Bears "D" who can't seem to ever got off the field.

Marty is not being asked to be our number 1 WR and is not here to stretch the field vertically to open up the running game but he is still a good run blocking WR.

What Marty will not be is a headache nor distraction. He will be the professional who once played here now asked to be a leader among the young recieving corp that we have here; a player coach if you will. If he can hlep accelerate the learning curve for Hester, Bennett, and Rideau while performing in the clutch than I think he will meeting the expectations of the Coaching Staff.

Sorry but the game is about winning, not talking about how good a player (or team) was years ago. I like Booker but he didn't do anything to show me that he's still got it. You want to give him a pass because he's a vet, fine. I just want production. That includes the D and no I never gave them a pass for playing like crap. I have pointed out that not everything the D did was terrible but did likewise with the offense. I am always ready to eat crow when a player performs better than I expected and I never mind doing so because I just want this team to win.

Someday we may cut Brian Urlacher, Tommie Harris, Olin Kreutz and I may very well agree with the decision but that does NOT mean I don't respect their contributions to this team, or them as a player and person.

I never said that I am giving Marty a pass -- he was not used during the preseason from what I saw so none of us have an idea what he can actually do but I expect him to perform in the clutch.

Marty was definatley brought in to replace mm not bb. Llyod is most likely capable of replacing BB. I really like Rideau and what he has shown and give us a tall receiver capable of making plays. I want the best players on the field regardless but there must be a ballance of veteran and youth to provide chemistry, leadership, and stability on the offensive unit.

I am also concerned about the D but they should recover there form and the preseason was more about avoiding unecessary injuries than performance. Let's face it if the O does not produce than it really won't matter how good our D is cause the team will not be able to score enough when needed.

I even suggested looking at FA WR Chad Jackson beacuse the bears need to make this team better any way possible.

Yeah...winning in the regular season. Let's see how that works out before you throw the baby out with the bath-water.

There are NO proven #1 WR's on our roster other than one guy. Let's see how he does when the games count. Granted, his best days are behind him, but there is such a thing called vertan savvy... Maybe this staff just wants a hard working, no-nonsense guy to help teach all our youngin's... But, I think that's giving them too much credit.

Sorry but the game is about winning, not talking about how good a player (or team) was years ago. I like Booker but he didn't do anything to show me that he's still got it. You want to give him a pass because he's a vet, fine. I just want production. That includes the D and no I never gave them a pass for playing like crap. I have pointed out that not everything the D did was terrible but did likewise with the offense. I am always ready to eat crow when a player performs better than I expected and I never mind doing so because I just want this team to win.

Someday we may cut Brian Urlacher, Tommie Harris, Olin Kreutz and I may very well agree with the decision but that does NOT mean I don't respect their contributions to this team, or them as a player and person.