Cutler's got a broken/injured thumb...

bschmaranz

lol, it could be pretty bad.

I disagree the thumb is the least important. Its very important. And it kind of explains why Cutler was throwing behind people today.

There is no way Cutler is going to risk his career to play with a jacked up thumb.

If he needs to get the surgery, then get the damn surgery.

The only way he risks his career is if his thumb falls off. Other than that, I don't see how a broken thumb is serious enough to sit out 8 games. I just don't.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I don't know:

1. If the thumb is actually broken

2. When it exactly happened

3. How long Jay played after the injury

4. Whether or not he'll get surgery

5. How long he'll be out, if at all

Things I do know:

1. If the rest of the regular season rests in Caleb Hanie's hands, ever defense the Bears play against is going to stack the box, eliminate Forte, and dare Hanie to throw the ball

2. The Bears will not be nearly as effective on offense

3. The Bears will be in trouble of losing a Wild Card spot

I heard it happened on the pick return stop.

It's never easy for us. THankfully the schedule appears to be favorable during this time.

Things I don't know:

Things I do know:

1. If the rest of the regular season rests in Caleb Hanie's hands, ever defense the Bears play against is going to stack the box, eliminate Forte, and dare Hanie to throw the ball

First, the idea of NOT considering surgery...just to make the playoffs...is ridiculous. As much as I agree that Cutler would shut up all or most of his detractors if he came back its simply not worth his long term health to risk it.

Another thing to consider is what kind of "fracture" is it? Is it the run of the mill clean break or is it more of a hairline or crack? The first variety would require something along the lines of a rod/pin where the latter would be more of just letting it heal. Again, we should wait to hear.

With regards to Hanie playing and hope being lost, I don't buy it. So far when he has been pressed into service he has done pretty good. HE may not be as dynamic as Cutler but he is serviceable. I think the only major difference we may notice is how Hanie deals with front line pressure. Something we have been seeing Cutler deal with pretty well lately. A lot of roll outs and I swear I saw what resembled some "zone blocking" a few times yesterday. Anyhow and as before, I'll wait to see how Hanie does next week before I assume the Bears have no chance of making the playoffs.

How would he be risking his career? It's not a tendon or a ligament. It's not his neck. He didn't shred a muscle. The thumb isn't weight bearing. If you're going to have an injury that you can't play on, a broken bone is pretty much what you want, right? In whatever manner that thumb sets they can just always surgically rebreak it later and set it right.

Another way to put it is...ever heard of someone's career ending because of a broken bone that wasn't in their spine?

Try to throw a football without your thumb.

If he plays and hurts it worse then what? Miss all of next year too?

Not worth the gamble.

Espn has reported out is broken and he will miss the remainder of the regular season. The Bears won't use the IR in case of payoffs, a he could be ready. Interesting side note: Rachael Nichols called Hester last night to get a scoop and Hester thought she was joking. He thought he was ok in the huddle and lock room after the game. Never knew he was injured. What a pussy that Cutler is...

Things I don't know:

Things I do know:

Yep. The sky certainlyhas fallen. NOT!

Kool Aide time: we're 7-3, the D plays pretty well, at times, Hanie has some experience now, we can win three more games and make the playoffs with 10 victotries.

I'd prefer they IR Cutler and let's see how Hanie can handle the pressure. He's a tough kid and perhaps he can get some mojo from Clutts!

I'm gonna get me a Clutts jersey.

A few things:

1. It looks like it happened on the INT. If you watch the replay, his hand hits the ground really hard in a weird position. In hindsight, Knox could've really helped the Bears and I don't mean by making a catch. If he doesn't slip, this whole situation is nothing but a nightmare.

2. Yes, he played after and completed 2 passes. However, those 2 passes were screens.

3. Nobody knows what's what here. Roethlisberger's thumb hit helmet-first vs Cincinnati. Cutler's fell awkwardly and so there's probably severe ligament damage.

4. Bears4Ever: believe it. It's broken and you won't see him take another snap until the 1st round of the playoffs if Hanie can manage them into that spot.

5. Somehow, Hester has to play even better. Somehow, Tillman has to elevate his game even more. Somehow, Peppers has to go from a machine to an unstoppable force. Somehow, the OL has to be prepared to block 8 and 9 man fronts.

5. This really, really sucks. They went from 1-2, to 2-3, to 7-3, and now they'll be lucky if they finish 10-6. Unbelievable. Also, I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, but this is 2 straight years I've seen the Bears play a road game, and both times, they've been without Cutler.

Just watched the live interview with Lovie on NFL network. He said as of now Cutler will have the surgery and they expect him back before the end of the regular season.

In regards to the thumb itself, it largely depends on the location of the fracture on whether he could just play with it. It's not an all out break as he wouldn't have been able to hold the ball at all. I fractured my thumb near the first nuckle during a soccer game once in a similar scenario of landing on it like he did. I was a goalkeeper and I played the rest of the game although every time the ball hit me in the hands it hurt like hell. When I got in my car after the game I was unable to press the button on the shifter to change gears with my thumb. If Cutler's fracture is a similar location I can tell you that I had a cast on for 3 weeks then had to wear a splint for 2 weeks during activities. Of course this was also 13 years ago and I came from a middle class family. Not sure what today's technology and millions of dollars can provide in terms of recovery.

The only way he risks his career is if his thumb falls off. Other than that, I don't see how a broken thumb is serious enough to sit out 8 games. I just don't.

It is serious enough he is going to miss significant time. I guess it just wasn't some reporter abusing his Twitter feed. ;)

Peace :dabears

It is serious enough he is going to miss significant time. I guess it just wasn't some reporter abusing his Twitter feed. ;)

Agreed and because I don't follow all that other crap,I believe it was just some reporters trying to do what their job calls for provide a"scoop"

Well Lovie says they'll get him back before the end of the regular season. That is terrific news. I knew all these idiot reporters talking like he'll be out for the season were ridiculous. I can live with him out until maybe that Packers game or Minnesota game.

Dude, you're going to have to "live" with whatever happens. If Jay's doctors tell him to stay out for longer it'll be done. This is sports, not life. Hopefully he will beat the 6-8 weeks but there are no guarantees.

If you want to get upset about something, write a letter to the Bears about how Martz called a pass play in that situation at all. Or to the Park District for once again giving us a field players are falling down on all the time (although it looked great to my eyes yesterday.)

Well Lovie says they'll get him back before the end of the regular season. That is terrific news. I knew all these idiot reporters talking like he'll be out for the season were ridiculous. I can live with him out until maybe that Packers game or Minnesota game.

You said he wouldn't miss a snap. Most of the reports I read last night said 6 to 8 weeks which was an estimate. They were reporting the best information they had at the time. They were doing there jobs.

Dude, you're going to have to "live" with whatever happens. If Jay's doctors tell him to stay out for longer it'll be done. This is sports, not life. Hopefully he will beat the 6-8 weeks but there are no guarantees.

If you want to get upset about something, write a letter to the Bears about how Martz called a pass play in that situation at all. Or to the Park District for once again giving us a field players are falling down on all the time (although it looked great to my eyes yesterday.)

Jesus Freaking Christ dude, are you serious? The play call was great, the protection was great, the pass was great, but Johnny Knox fell on his ass.

Period.

Your displeasure is severely misplaced. If anything we should be upset that the football gods apparently hate the Chicago Bears and love the Packers. Never have I seen a team with less luck (Bears) rival a team with more luck (Packers).

You said he wouldn't miss a snap. Most of the reports I read last night said 6 to 8 weeks which was an estimate. They were reporting the best information they had at the time. They were doing there jobs.

Well I still don't know why he can't delay the surgery if there is no loose tendons and displacement of the bone (Which there wasn't), but it is what it is. Atleast he'll be back before the regular season is over.

Jesus Freaking Christ dude, are you serious? The play call was great, the protection was great, the pass was great, but Johnny Knox fell on his ass.

Period.

Your displeasure is severely misplaced. If anything we should be upset that the football gods apparently hate the Chicago Bears and love the Packers. Never have I seen a team with less luck (Bears) rival a team with more luck (Packers).

I agree with you on the football gods. However, I was calling for them to run the damn ball at that point of the game. The only thing that could've gone wrong, did. With that said, the execution was perfect, as you said, except for the slip.

And I'm not displeased. Shit man, the Bears are 7-3 with a shit O Line and an aging D. I'm f'in beside myself happy except for the flurry of injuries. No, I'm just suggesting Bears4ever use some of that pent up angst where it might do some good. His early posts in this thread sounded like he wanted to kick some poor reporter's ass because he did his job and reported the news.

His early posts in this thread sounded like he wanted to kick some poor reporter's ass because he did his job and reported the news.

My irritation comes from the idiots that jump to such drastic conclusions and claim he's definitely out for the entire season before the BEARS STAFF even looked at him and evaluated him. That's why I wanted to wait until today so the Bears could evaluate his injury, and now that they have, Lovie says he expects him back before the end of the regular season. I don't want my information coming from the reporters speculating his injury as if its a fact on their damn twitter accounts. Now things are looking a whole lot better today than last night, thanks to some actual information coming from the team and their coach.

ESPN has revised the timetable and is reporting that the Bears are expecting Cutler back sooner and that he could play as early as the game against the Vikings. I'm still going to hold my breath and hope that Hanie can do what he needs to first. If we can't win a couple games with Hanie, it will all be a moot point anyway.