Bears will interview 4 candidates

adam

Is this the same Jimmy Raye that has interviewed for the HC job at the same time when Jauron was hired? I never knew he was a personnel man but if he is interviewing for the passing coordinator job that makes sense.

It says for the GM position, and this is that Jimmy Raye's son.

I wouldn't mind Emery. I'm not sure how long he's been around, but the Chiefs have had some good drafts (Moeaki, Charles, McCluster, Bowe, Johnson, etc). As for Licht, I'll pass. I know it sounds weird since he's a Patriots guy, but the Patriots are a very overrated organization in my eyes, over the past few years especially; they've drafted horribly. Solder has been OK for them this year, and Gronkowski and Hernandez were nice picks, but that's about it.

I wouldn't mind Emery. I'm not sure how long he's been around, but the Chiefs have had some good drafts (Moeaki, Charles, McCluster, Bowe, Johnson, etc). As for Licht, I'll pass. I know it sounds weird since he's a Patriots guy, but the Patriots are a very overrated organization in my eyes, over the past few years especially; they've drafted horribly. Solder has been OK for them this year, and Gronkowski and Hernandez were nice picks, but that's about it.

Gronkowski and Hernandez were nice picks. I wish we could have a nice draft that would give us such nice picks.

"Emery is a known commodity at Halas Hall. He joined the team as an area scout when Mark Hatley was in charge of personnel and covered the Southeast from 1998-2004. He was the scout who endorsed Rex Grossman as a first-round draft pick in 2003." per tribune

:unsure: That makes me a little nervous but maybe he learned his lesson.

"Emery is a known commodity at Halas Hall. He joined the team as an area scout when Mark Hatley was in charge of personnel and covered the Southeast from 1998-2004. He was the scout who endorsed Rex Grossman as a first-round draft pick in 2003." per tribune

:unsure: That makes me a little nervous but maybe he learned his lesson.

Hey, he doesn't need to find a QB this time!

The comment was about you calling them nice picks. I would say great picks prevail.

I would say great picks prevail, but average picks on great teams also prevail.

Put Gronkowski and Hernandez on any other team, and you don't see nearly as much production and don't hear nearly as much about them. But put them in NE's offense, with their stellar OL, with all-world Tom Brady, and that's another story.

And if the Bears drafted two TEs this year, I would be absolutely pissed. That would be ridiculous.

Put Gronkowski and Hernandez on any other team, and you don't see nearly as much production and don't hear nearly as much about them. But put them in NE's offense, with their stellar OL, with all-world Tom Brady, and that's another story.

And if the Bears drafted two TEs this year, I would be absolutely pissed. That would be ridiculous.

You dont think Gronkowski would be as productive if he was on a different team?? Herandez i agree tho

You dont think Gronkowski would be as productive if he was on a different team?? Herandez i agree tho

To be quite honest, I think Hernandez has more upside than Gronkowski. Hernandez fits the mold of the current WR/TE hybrid who poses an almost impossible matchup. He's too fast for most LBs, and too big for most DBs. They each have similar 40 times, but Hernandez is much more potent and quick out of his cuts. It's just a matter of size and versatility. Gronkowski is bigger and can block better, but Hernandez has better hands. A lot of teams want to catch-first TE, and Hernandez fits the bill perfectly. And if he bulks up a little bit without losing speed, he's a guaranteed all-star. Problem is, he's not leaving NE for the time being, the Pats' coaching staff and Brady are enamored with Gronkowski, and Hernandez is stuck playing second-TE on an offense that spreads the ball around a ton.

Having said all that, no, I don't think they would be as productive on other teams. Hell, I know for a fact they wouldn't have been as productive on the Bears this season. Olsen's best year isn't as good as either of these guy's second year, and it's easy to argue that the stats could have been split more evenly if not for the NE style of play. Splitting the stats, they could have had 1100+yds each, and 17 TDs each. They are both great talents, but they wouldn't be nearly as productive as they are on the Patriots.

I dont' know why but my two favorite candidates are the Chiefs guy and the Chargers guy. My only question on the Chargers guy is how involved was he in some of there poor pro-personell decisions. They've made some bad choices in who they have let go but at the same time, they have brought in a ton of talent and he was widely responsible for it.

And the chiefs, for as mediocre as they have been recently, have done a great job of bringing in a lot of quality talent via the draft. I honestly believe he is the most likely candidate the Bears hire given his past experience with the club and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He knows talent and would be a nice fit as a whole.

The one guy I stay away from is the Pats guy. They have drafted pretty poorly in the past and while people talk about there 2 TE's and yes they are great players at there respected positions, but look at there defense and look at all the misses they have had in the draft. The only reason they have kept producing is because Brady is a rockstar at QB and there offense can outgun everyone. They have not done a good job the past few years in the personell department as a whole.

In terms of the Giants guy. On one hand, I'm impressed with the amount of talent the Giants have brought in, however, I've also read some articles talking about Ross as being lazy and that concerns me. I want a guy that is not only smart but that will work his ass off to make the Bears better and if there is a question about his work ethic, I stay away.

As a whole, I really feel the Bears have targeted some pretty impressive candidates and I have zero complaints with who they are looking at. I even have zero problem with the Bears keeping Ruskell in his current role because he has some nice experience and has had his own level of success (he's not a bad GM but he's not a good GM).

To be quite honest, I think Hernandez has more upside than Gronkowski. Hernandez fits the mold of the current WR/TE hybrid who poses an almost impossible matchup. He's too fast for most LBs, and too big for most DBs. They each have similar 40 times, but Hernandez is much more potent and quick out of his cuts. It's just a matter of size and versatility. Gronkowski is bigger and can block better, but Hernandez has better hands. A lot of teams want to catch-first TE, and Hernandez fits the bill perfectly. And if he bulks up a little bit without losing speed, he's a guaranteed all-star. Problem is, he's not leaving NE for the time being, the Pats' coaching staff and Brady are enamored with Gronkowski, and Hernandez is stuck playing second-TE on an offense that spreads the ball around a ton.

Having said all that, no, I don't think they would be as productive on other teams. Hell, I know for a fact they wouldn't have been as productive on the Bears this season. Olsen's best year isn't as good as either of these guy's second year, and it's easy to argue that the stats could have been split more evenly if not for the NE style of play. Splitting the stats, they could have had 1100+yds each, and 17 TDs each. They are both great talents, but they wouldn't be nearly as productive as they are on the Patriots.

I'm in agreement with you. If you look at Hernandez he's the more talented guy, imo. Soft hands, great cuts and a better work ethic. I'd take either of them but if it weren't for Hernandez going down for a couple games early, he was the one who started off putting up the record breaking numbers.

However, while I feel that way about Hernandez, it is hard to argue Gronk's production in the red zone.

i think you guys get caught up on titles. Gronk is a TE, but Hernandez is only a TE in name...he is actually a slot WR. If we had a decent O Coach that knew how to use the talent on the roster, then we would be in business. Hester should be used int he slot, were a LB or safety would have to cover him. No way in hell any LB can stay with Hester. A starting WR corp of Bennett and VJAX on the out side and Hester in the slot would be a great start. Sans at #4 and throw in Knox if he can return. That is solid with a healty Cutler.

i think you guys get caught up on titles. Gronk is a TE, but Hernandez is only a TE in name...he is actually a slot WR. If we had a decent O Coach that knew how to use the talent on the roster, then we would be in business. Hester should be used int he slot, were a LB or safety would have to cover him. No way in hell any LB can stay with Hester. A starting WR corp of Bennett and VJAX on the out side and Hester in the slot would be a great start. Sans at #4 and throw in Knox if he can return. That is solid with a healty Cutler.

I don't disagree with you. I've been saying it for years and years. I still don't understand how opposing teams are able to cover the speed between Knox and Hester, and then the route-running of Bennett. There has to be something off. That makes me think of a few possibilities: 1. The OL doesn't give them enough time to actually run routes that allow them to use their straight-line speed (most likely), 2. They don't know how to use angles to seperate (a bit of truth in this as well), 3. The routes being used don't compliment the WR speed (difficult to assess as long as #1 & #2 are true, but I haven't seen the Bears frequently execute the Green Bay quick-slant that has been killing the Bears for years), 4. Cutler doesn't trust in the routes/plays/protection (a little truth here as well).

The point is, I don't think it's as simple as saying "get a new OC."

I 2nd Ross. He seems as bright of an upcoming star in the front office across the league.

Great article on the Ivy Leaguer!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2012/01/a_...c_ross_of_.html

All of these articles only talk about the "hits" these candidates had. I want to see both sides of the story with hits and misses. There are however two things I know about the Giants that I really like....they have done well with both Oline and Dline for many years now. That has always kept them in the playoff hunt along with Eli being at QB. We have the QB now fix the lines and voila we should be consistently competitive.

If Ross knows the formula for this success and can execute it on both lines hire him DURING the first interview.