Official 2012 NFL Draft Thread

Ed Hochuli 3:16

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RT @skjensen: #Bears have spoken to a lot of players here in Mobile, including a pair of receivers named Marvin: Jones from Cal and McNutt from Iowa.

McNutt would be great. He weighed in at 6'2, 216 and apparently has had a great Senior Bowl.

ADMINS- maybe we should change this to a draft nugget thread?

I would guess the Bears current group of scouts is. I don't think Ruskell has any say in any of this right now.

Agreed, but as Director of Scouting he does have the power to make strong recomendations on prospects. The key will be if he has an ear with the new GM.

Agreed, but as Director of Scouting he does have the power to make strong recomendations on prospects. The key will be if he has an ear with the new GM.

I'm pretty sure Ruskell will still be here and will have say. I assume if the new GM didn't want him, he could get rid of him, but I'm under the assumption Emery is the guy and he's worked with Ruskell.

I don't quite get why Ruskell or even Angelo are the devil. Both have pretty damn successful overall resumes in there career and had rather accomplishing careers. I realize the Bears fired Angelo but he had a pretty good track record here and his track record in Tampa was excellent.

He is the 8th rated WR and would be nice to add if we pick up a stud in FA but we need to shoot for one of the top three WRs in the draft at 19.

I'm an Iowa fan and I really like Marvin. He is a hard worker and a smart wide-out. He's physically strong and seems to be a good route runner. To me, he's the type of guy that I think a lot of people sleep on because he doesn't stand out from a physical standpoint, but all of his measureables are solid. Combine that with good route running and hands and I think you are talking about a guy you might be able to grab in the 2nd round that would make a nice impact.

Angelo simply made too many mistakes. I'm not really sure how you can honestly say his track record was pretty good. I could care less what he did in Tampa and his overall resume. I only care about his time in CHI.

Ruskell may not be as bad as we think due to his guilt by association w/ Angelo. And maybe he learned from his stint in SEA.

But, a fresh start seems to be the best approach. We won't know any of it until it plays itself out.

I'm pretty sure Ruskell will still be here and will have say. I assume if the new GM didn't want him, he could get rid of him, but I'm under the assumption Emery is the guy and he's worked with Ruskell.

I don't quite get why Ruskell or even Angelo are the devil. Both have pretty damn successful overall resumes in there career and had rather accomplishing careers. I realize the Bears fired Angelo but he had a pretty good track record here and his track record in Tampa was excellent.

Angelo simply made too many mistakes. I'm not really sure how you can honestly say his track record was pretty good. I could care less what he did in Tampa and his overall resume. I only care about his time in CHI.

Ruskell may not be as bad as we think due to his guilt by association w/ Angelo. And maybe he learned from his stint in SEA.

But, a fresh start seems to be the best approach. We won't know any of it until it plays itself out.

Someone is guilty by association? That argument is pretty pathetic. Ruskell can't and shouldn't be judged because someone you don't like brought him in. As far as I'm concerned, Angelo had this team in a superbowl and an NFC Championship game and put together and maintained a well above average defense for years. People spout about how shitty he was but that is pure crap. Was he the best, no? But there is a reason he kept his job as long as he did and no, I don't buy that the Bears are the worst run organization in the league or anything even close to that.

Look at all of the teams that have consistently sucked. The Bears were nothing but competitive during Angelo's run. Some seasons better than others, but they were perennial playoff contenders and at times, were legit superbowl contenders. That is pretty freaking decent.

The whole idea of "guilt by association" is pretty much a commonplace occurrence in society. I'm not saying I subscribe to that point of view. But that it does play a factor in the perception of Ruskell. And part of his perception also rests in the fact that he was removed in Seattle. So, if a fan were to already be weary of something w/ Angelo's fingerprints on it, and knowing Ruskell had issues at his former place of employment...it would seem understandable that that fan would be weary of Ruskell.

Your thoughts on Angelo are also understandable. I don't agree with them, but I understand your point of view. I see it quite differently. Ten reason just off the top of my head include...

1. He failed at checking boxes.

2. He embarrassed the team in trading with other NFL teams on draft day

3. He failed to back his QB pick up with competent linemen and wideouts

4. He kept picking odd draft choices in higher rounds once he hit the odd paydirt on Hester (see Bazuin, etc.)

5. He uses the term "Whistle Dixie"

6. A Super Bowl was not won during his tenure

7. He granted Smith too much power after the Super Bowl loss

8. He re-signed Smith recently

9. He allowed Martz to be hired

10. He insisted on trading down too often afraid of making a mistake in the draft

Was he the worst? No, that would probably be Millen. Was he the best? No, that would probably be Ron Wolf. He was average. He made a few hits, but had a ton of misses. It was simply time to move on. I will not look back fondly at JA's regime. I will remember the great play of some of the players, but the only GM of modern times I care to remember is the Jim Finks.

I'm not happy with playoff appearances and Super Bowl losses. I want a damn win. It's been at least 26 years since then. So, I make no apology that Angelo simply wasn't good enough. I hope the next one will. I am always fair and hopeful with a new coach, GM, etc. I only sour after time and evidence that it's not working. Until then, I have hope the new guy can break on through.

Someone is guilty by association? That argument is pretty pathetic. Ruskell can't and shouldn't be judged because someone you don't like brought him in. As far as I'm concerned, Angelo had this team in a superbowl and an NFC Championship game and put together and maintained a well above average defense for years. People spout about how shitty he was but that is pure crap. Was he the best, no? But there is a reason he kept his job as long as he did and no, I don't buy that the Bears are the worst run organization in the league or anything even close to that.

Look at all of the teams that have consistently sucked. The Bears were nothing but competitive during Angelo's run. Some seasons better than others, but they were perennial playoff contenders and at times, were legit superbowl contenders. That is pretty freaking decent.

Your memory is not that good. The defense he "put together" and "maintained" has largely benefitted from having one of the best MLB's in history and a great FS for the majority of the time JA's been around. Both of those guys, Urlacher and Brown, were not drafted by JA. Urlacher is a future HoFer who, if not on this team, would have caused the exposure of the cover-2 defense much sooner and much more than it has already been. On top of that, the "above average defense for years" is simply false. They were top-ten 4 times, mediocre (13-16) 4 times, and in the 20s 3 times.

Have the Bears been the worst run organization in the NFL over JA's run? No. Have they been close to the best? Absolutely not. Aside from JA's mistakes so clearly listed by MadLith, JA has simply missed on too many draft picks while he's been here. The list of his mistakes and oversight is extensive. The reason he has kept his job probably has something to do with a family management that long ago lost grasp of how to properly run an NFL team, and because he was a safe guy who knew how to handle the salary cap well. The salary cap management, in and of itself, is probably the most enticing GM attribute to the McCaskeys, and it allowed them to overlook his various errors, the six losing seasons since 2001, and the numerous draft misses.

Your memory is not that good. The defense he "put together" and "maintained" has largely benefitted from having one of the best MLB's in history and a great FS for the majority of the time JA's been around. Both of those guys, Urlacher and Brown, were not drafted by JA. Urlacher is a future HoFer who, if not on this team, would have caused the exposure of the cover-2 defense much sooner and much more than it has already been. On top of that, the "above average defense for years" is simply false. They were top-ten 4 times, mediocre (13-16) 4 times, and in the 20s 3 times.

Have the Bears been the worst run organization in the NFL over JA's run? No. Have they been close to the best? Absolutely not. Aside from JA's mistakes so clearly listed by MadLith, JA has simply missed on too many draft picks while he's been here. The list of his mistakes and oversight is extensive. The reason he has kept his job probably has something to do with a family management that long ago lost grasp of how to properly run an NFL team, and because he was a safe guy who knew how to handle the salary cap well. The salary cap management, in and of itself, is probably the most enticing GM attribute to the McCaskeys, and it allowed them to overlook his various errors, the six losing seasons since 2001, and the numerous draft misses.

You and Madlith = Spot on!

How many QB's did we start during his tenure? Just like in Tampa Bay, Angelo was always good at finding defensive talent, but was completely inept at finding offensive talent, especially at QB and WR. He was decent for the most part, but I believe he needed to be replaced a few years ago.

About the Super Bowl appearance, 14 different teams have made a SB appearance since 2001 (almost half the league). 10 teams have had multiple Conference Championship visits during that timeframe, with 5 of those teams winning it all (6th will be this year). Only the Eagles (5), Bears (2), Jets (2), and Panthers (2) have multiple Conference Championship appearances without a SB victory.

For a franchise ranking during Angelo's reign, it would go something like this (giving 5 pts for SB win, 3 for SB loss, 2 for Conf loss, 1 for winning season):

1. Patriots (3 SB wins, 1 SB loss, 1 Conf loss, 11 winning seasons) *Pending this year (31*)

2. Steelers (2 SB wins, 1 SB loss, 2 Conf Champ losses, 9 winning seasons) (26)

3. Colts (1 SB win, 1 SB loss, 1 Conf Champ loss, 9 winning seasons) (19)

4. Eagles (1 SB loss, 4 Conf Champ losses, 8 winning seasons) (19)

5. Packers (1 SB win, 1 Conf Champ loss, 8 winning seasons) (15)

6. Giants (1 SB win, 6 winning seasons)* Pending this year (11*)

7. Saints (1 SB win, 1 Conf Champ loss, 5 winning seasons) (12)

8. Ravens (2 Conf Champ losses, 8 winning seasons) (12)

9. Jets (2x Conf Champ losses, 7 winning seasons) (11)

10. Buccaneers (SB victory, 6 winning seasons) (11)

11. Bears (SB loss, Conf Champ loss, 5 winning seasons) (10)

12. Seahawks (1 SB loss, 6 winning seasons) (9)

13. Titans (1 SB loss, 5 winning seasons) (8)

14. Chargers (1 Conf Champ loss, 6 winning seasons) (8)

15. Falcons (1 Conf Champ loss, 6 winning seasons) (8)

Interesting analysis...thanks for sharing!

How many QB's did we start during his tenure? Just like in Tampa Bay, Angelo was always good at finding defensive talent, but was completely inept at finding offensive talent, especially at QB and WR. He was decent for the most part, but I believe he needed to be replaced a few years ago.

About the Super Bowl appearance, 14 different teams have made a SB appearance since 2001 (almost half the league). 10 teams have had multiple Conference Championship visits during that timeframe, with 5 of those teams winning it all (6th will be this year). Only the Eagles (5), Bears (2), Jets (2), and Panthers (2) have multiple Conference Championship appearances without a SB victory.

For a franchise ranking during Angelo's reign, it would go something like this (giving 5 pts for SB win, 3 for SB loss, 2 for Conf loss, 1 for winning season):

1. Patriots (3 SB wins, 1 SB loss, 1 Conf loss, 11 winning seasons) *Pending this year (31*)

2. Steelers (2 SB wins, 1 SB loss, 2 Conf Champ losses, 9 winning seasons) (26)

3. Colts (1 SB win, 1 SB loss, 1 Conf Champ loss, 9 winning seasons) (19)

4. Eagles (1 SB loss, 4 Conf Champ losses, 8 winning seasons) (19)

5. Packers (1 SB win, 1 Conf Champ loss, 8 winning seasons) (15)

6. Giants (1 SB win, 6 winning seasons)* Pending this year (11*)

7. Saints (1 SB win, 1 Conf Champ loss, 5 winning seasons) (12)

8. Ravens (2 Conf Champ losses, 8 winning seasons) (12)

9. Jets (2x Conf Champ losses, 7 winning seasons) (11)

10. Buccaneers (SB victory, 6 winning seasons) (11)

11. Bears (SB loss, Conf Champ loss, 5 winning seasons) (10)

12. Seahawks (1 SB loss, 6 winning seasons) (9)

13. Titans (1 SB loss, 5 winning seasons) (8)

14. Chargers (1 Conf Champ loss, 6 winning seasons) (8)

15. Falcons (1 Conf Champ loss, 6 winning seasons) (8)

Breakdown of Angelo's drafts:

2002: Alex Brown (4th), Adrian Peterson (6th)

Overall this was a bad draft, but Gray and Metcalf contributed in spirts for the first few years and then fell off. AB was a highly touted pass rusher who everyone passed on because they thought he was a headcase....far from true. Adrian Peterson is about as good as it gets in the 6th Round. However, missing as badly as he did on Colombo considering how bad his knee was coming in and getting NOTHING out of Ro Williams.....this draft was a D+ at best.

2003: Rex Grossman (1st), Charles Tillman (2nd), Lance Briggs (3rd)

This could have been Terrell Suggs at 4 as many Bear fans wanted.....but Suggs went 10th. Angelo dealt down to 13 hoping to get Jimmy Kennedy and put some young size in front of Urlacher but he went 12th to the Rams (and flopped). Haynes was as big of a bust as you'll find, but that was a shock to many scouts. He looked like Tarzan and played like Tarzan at Penn St, but played like Jane with the Bears. Rex didn't become what Bears fans had hoped, but he had his moments including helping the Bears to the Super Bowl in 2006 and that can never be taken away. Tillman and Briggs were absolute homeruns in this draft, which may have been Angelo's best picks. I give this draft a B.

2004: Tommie Harris (1st), Tank Johnson (2nd), Bernard Berrien (3rd), Nate Vasher (2004)

I'm sorry but this was a hell of a draft. If it weren't for the injuries of Tommie Harris and Vasher (Both Pro Bowlers) falling out of football shape at the age of 26 and never getting back to it....they would have been starters even last season. Those guys helped make us a great defense in 2005/2006. Tank was a monster, but his legal problems came out of nowhere and that hurt him in Chicago. Berrien produced about as well as 3rd Rounders produce. All four of these guys cleared out way sooner than they should have and that really isn't on Angelo. I give this draft a B+.

2005: Kyle Orton (4th), Chris Harris (6th)

The Ced Benson pick may have been Angelo's worst pick. Sure Benson has shown his Pro Bowl type talent in Cincy, but the Bears didn't need him! This could have been Derrick Johnson (however he went 15h I believe), but many Bears fans wanted him at 4 or a trade down to where it wasn't even worth it could have worked. The rest of this draft was absolute garbage. Harris was a steal in the 6th and contributed basically immediately and Orton did a fine job during his tenure in Chicago and helped the Bears finally land a real franchise QB in Cutler. However, this draft is a big reason why the Bears missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons as it just didn't provide anything for the Bears to fall back on after their impressive '05 and '06 seasons. I give this draft an F.

2006: Danieal Manning (2nd), Devin Hester (2nd), Jamar Williams (4th), Mark Anderson (5th)

Hester may have been the pick of the draft as he quickly became the best return man the game as ever seen. I credit Angelo on that pick because he knew Hester didn't have a position, but didn't care. Angelo said he was "Hesterized" at the combine and had to get him- boy was he right. Manning flopped as a Safety, but still is a top flight KR. I've even heard his play draw positive praise as a S in Houston (although I'll believe that when I see it). Jamar Williams and Mark Anderson were explosive athletes, but Mark Anderson was a flash in the pan who fooled us all. While this draft had a few bad misses- Hester has won more games on Special Teams than any player in the history of the game. I give this draft a B.

2007: Gren Olsen (1st), Corey Graham (6th)

This draft was another utter failure. Olsen was a mixed result as a TE because he was a 1st Round pick. I do believe Olsen got a bit of a raw deal with the hiring of Martz- Olsen had plenty of opps to make Martz change the game to fit him, but Olsen didn't seize thos chances. I don't even want to talk about Bazuin and GARRET WOLFE IN THE 3RD so I'll leave it alone. This draft was a clear F.

2008: Chris Williams (1st), Matt Forte (2nd), Earl Bennett (3rd), Kellen Davis (5th)

This was a great draft, but it pains me that we turned the 14th pick of the draft into an average G (I know peeps on this board love Williams inside, but I don't). Forte may have been Angelo's best pick as GM and this pick could have saved everyone's job for the next few years. Bennett is potentially a steal in the 3rd, but I think very highly of this pick. Kellen Davis was a very nice find in the 5th and I believe his best days are ahead of him. Without Forte this draft is a C at best, but with Forte....this draft is a B+.

2009: Henry Melton (4th), DJ Moore (4th), Johnny Knox (5th), Lance Louis (7th)

Since this draft got us Cutler.....I loved this draft! However, Angelo screwed the pooch in trading out of the 2nd Round and ending up with two guys in the 3rd who never came close to contributing. Melton and Moore are players that I love and Knox is a guy who has produced beyond his element. Lance Louis may be the best pick of this draft should he play as we all love him as a G and I don't hate him at RT, either. Mainly because we got Cutler out of this AND still got some nice players....this draft is a B+

2010: J'Marcus Webb (7th)

Again this draft gets SOME credit because the 1st Rounder contributed to Cutler. However, I'll say it right now....Wright is a bust. He's slow. Really slow. It is still a bit too early to write guys off like Wooten and Moore, however time may be running out on them as they've seen limited action the past two seasons to where they should have seized opps by now. Webb was a great find in the 7th, but this draft has had two years now and I don't see it contributing. Angelo traded the 2nd Round of this draft to the Bucs for Gaines Adams, which I was a huge fan of at the time. I am going to give this draft a C primarily because it helped get Cutler and I believe Adams would have really helped the Bears.

2011: Gabe Carimi (1st), Stephen Paea (2nd), Chris Conte (3rd)

This draft gets an Incomplete because it is far too early and I believe Carimi's injury really hurt the Bears. I like what I saw in limited action from Paea and I really liked what I saw from Conte. This could still be a fine draft, but it smells like Angelo's 1st draft IF Carimi turns into Colombo.

My overall grade for Angelo in his 10 drafts: C-

He inherited a HOF player in Urlacher and never drafted another one.

A source for all of the Bear drafts:

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draf...=chi&lg=nfl

Breakdown of Angelo's drafts:

2002: Alex Brown (4th), Adrian Peterson (6th)

Overall this was a bad draft, but Gray and Metcalf contributed in spirts for the first few years and then fell off. AB was a highly touted pass rusher who everyone passed on because they thought he was a headcase....far from true. Adrian Peterson is about as good as it gets in the 6th Round. However, missing as badly as he did on Colombo considering how bad his knee was coming in and getting NOTHING out of Ro Williams.....this draft was a D+ at best.

2003: Rex Grossman (1st), Charles Tillman (2nd), Lance Briggs (3rd)

This could have been Terrell Suggs at 4 as many Bear fans wanted.....but Suggs went 10th. Angelo dealt down to 13 hoping to get Jimmy Kennedy and put some young size in front of Urlacher but he went 12th to the Rams (and flopped). Haynes was as big of a bust as you'll find, but that was a shock to many scouts. He looked like Tarzan and played like Tarzan at Penn St, but played like Jane with the Bears. Rex didn't become what Bears fans had hoped, but he had his moments including helping the Bears to the Super Bowl in 2006 and that can never be taken away. Tillman and Briggs were absolute homeruns in this draft, which may have been Angelo's best picks. I give this draft a B.

2004: Tommie Harris (1st), Tank Johnson (2nd), Bernard Berrien (3rd), Nate Vasher (2004)

I'm sorry but this was a hell of a draft. If it weren't for the injuries of Tommie Harris and Vasher (Both Pro Bowlers) falling out of football shape at the age of 26 and never getting back to it....they would have been starters even last season. Those guys helped make us a great defense in 2005/2006. Tank was a monster, but his legal problems came out of nowhere and that hurt him in Chicago. Berrien produced about as well as 3rd Rounders produce. All four of these guys cleared out way sooner than they should have and that really isn't on Angelo. I give this draft a B+.

2005: Kyle Orton (4th), Chris Harris (6th)

The Ced Benson pick may have been Angelo's worst pick. Sure Benson has shown his Pro Bowl type talent in Cincy, but the Bears didn't need him! This could have been Derrick Johnson (however he went 15h I believe), but many Bears fans wanted him at 4 or a trade down to where it wasn't even worth it could have worked. The rest of this draft was absolute garbage. Harris was a steal in the 6th and contributed basically immediately and Orton did a fine job during his tenure in Chicago and helped the Bears finally land a real franchise QB in Cutler. However, this draft is a big reason why the Bears missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons as it just didn't provide anything for the Bears to fall back on after their impressive '05 and '06 seasons. I give this draft an F.

2006: Danieal Manning (2nd), Devin Hester (2nd), Jamar Williams (4th), Mark Anderson (5th)

Hester may have been the pick of the draft as he quickly became the best return man the game as ever seen. I credit Angelo on that pick because he knew Hester didn't have a position, but didn't care. Angelo said he was "Hesterized" at the combine and had to get him- boy was he right. Manning flopped as a Safety, but still is a top flight KR. I've even heard his play draw positive praise as a S in Houston (although I'll believe that when I see it). Jamar Williams and Mark Anderson were explosive athletes, but Mark Anderson was a flash in the pan who fooled us all. While this draft had a few bad misses- Hester has won more games on Special Teams than any player in the history of the game. I give this draft a B.

2007: Gren Olsen (1st), Corey Graham (6th)

This draft was another utter failure. Olsen was a mixed result as a TE because he was a 1st Round pick. I do believe Olsen got a bit of a raw deal with the hiring of Martz- Olsen had plenty of opps to make Martz change the game to fit him, but Olsen didn't seize thos chances. I don't even want to talk about Bazuin and GARRET WOLFE IN THE 3RD so I'll leave it alone. This draft was a clear F.

2008: Chris Williams (1st), Matt Forte (2nd), Earl Bennett (3rd), Kellen Davis (5th)

This was a great draft, but it pains me that we turned the 14th pick of the draft into an average G (I know peeps on this board love Williams inside, but I don't). Forte may have been Angelo's best pick as GM and this pick could have saved everyone's job for the next few years. Bennett is potentially a steal in the 3rd, but I think very highly of this pick. Kellen Davis was a very nice find in the 5th and I believe his best days are ahead of him. Without Forte this draft is a C at best, but with Forte....this draft is a B+.

2009: Henry Melton (4th), DJ Moore (4th), Johnny Knox (5th), Lance Louis (7th)

Since this draft got us Cutler.....I loved this draft! However, Angelo screwed the pooch in trading out of the 2nd Round and ending up with two guys in the 3rd who never came close to contributing. Melton and Moore are players that I love and Knox is a guy who has produced beyond his element. Lance Louis may be the best pick of this draft should he play as we all love him as a G and I don't hate him at RT, either. Mainly because we got Cutler out of this AND still got some nice players....this draft is a B+

2010: J'Marcus Webb (7th)

Again this draft gets SOME credit because the 1st Rounder contributed to Cutler. However, I'll say it right now....Wright is a bust. He's slow. Really slow. It is still a bit too early to write guys off like Wooten and Moore, however time may be running out on them as they've seen limited action the past two seasons to where they should have seized opps by now. Webb was a great find in the 7th, but this draft has had two years now and I don't see it contributing. Angelo traded the 2nd Round of this draft to the Bucs for Gaines Adams, which I was a huge fan of at the time. I am going to give this draft a C primarily because it helped get Cutler and I believe Adams would have really helped the Bears.

2011: Gabe Carimi (1st), Stephen Paea (2nd), Chris Conte (3rd)

This draft gets an Incomplete because it is far too early and I believe Carimi's injury really hurt the Bears. I like what I saw in limited action from Paea and I really liked what I saw from Conte. This could still be a fine draft, but it smells like Angelo's 1st draft IF Carimi turns into Colombo.

My overall grade for Angelo in his 10 drafts: C-

He inherited a HOF player in Urlacher and never drafted another one.

A source for all of the Bear drafts:

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draf...=chi&lg=nfl

Never drafted another? Hester is a shoe-in HoF, and Briggs is well on his way. I think JA was middle of the pack in drafts, he actually did better in later rounds, but essentially flopped in the 1st round picks where we should've had impact starters almost every year. You also have to give him credit for bringing in Cutler and Peppers. Those were two nice acquisitions. In the same breath, you have to chastise him for Manu, Chester, and Roy Williams. I thought overall he did decent with the defense acquisitions, but failed on the offensive side of the ball.

I would've given him an overall grade of C+, but for the Bears franchise, we cannot accept the middle of the road.

The one thing you can't do in the draft is miss more times than you hit with 1st and 2nd round picks. Jerry was very good at that. He was also notorious for drafting players with medical reports that gave a guy a red flag. Guys like Gabe Carimi and his bad knees, Chris Williams and his back issues, I believe Tommie Harris had some injury concerns going into the draft, Dusty Dvvorececk or whatever his name was, he had red flags in not only his injury history but alcohol was an issue. He also was a guy that drafted based on what a players floor was as opposed to what his potential was. He liked guys with weight room strength instead of actual production on the field. That's fine and all, but you can't do that and then not actually get any good players out of it. Guys like Jaron Gilbert, Stephen Paea, Dan Bazuin come to mind.

Never drafted another? Hester is a shoe-in HoF, and Briggs is well on his way. I think JA was middle of the pack in drafts, he actually did better in later rounds, but essentially flopped in the 1st round picks where we should've had impact starters almost every year. You also have to give him credit for bringing in Cutler and Peppers. Those were two nice acquisitions. In the same breath, you have to chastise him for Manu, Chester, and Roy Williams. I thought overall he did decent with the defense acquisitions, but failed on the offensive side of the ball.

I would've given him an overall grade of C+, but for the Bears franchise, we cannot accept the middle of the road.

I agree Hester should be a HOF and praised Angelo for picking him....Briggs is up for debate, but he's been a big time player and a homerun of a draft pick regardless.

I just wanted to touch on Angelo's drafts in that they didn't go the way we needed them to go. I graded both the 09 and 10 drafts very favorably due to them involving getting Cutler.

I've been on the boards saying Angelo shouldn't have been fired and approved of him as GM. I believe Angelo has been pretty good in his FA pick-ups, but that would be another post.

The one thing you can't do in the draft is miss more times than you hit with 1st and 2nd round picks. Jerry was very good at that. He was also notorious for drafting players with medical reports that gave a guy a red flag. Guys like Gabe Carimi and his bad knees, Chris Williams and his back issues, I believe Tommie Harris had some injury concerns going into the draft, Dusty Dvvorececk or whatever his name was, he had red flags in not only his injury history but alcohol was an issue. He also was a guy that drafted based on what a players floor was as opposed to what his potential was. He liked guys with weight room strength instead of actual production on the field. That's fine and all, but you can't do that and then not actually get any good players out of it. Guys like Jaron Gilbert, Stephen Paea, Dan Bazuin come to mind.

Agree on everything in this post except Paea. He was a very good DT at Oregon State. I think he'll be a decent player going forward. Problem is, they need more guys who are good or great and not just decent.

I agree Hester should be a HOF and praised Angelo for picking him....Briggs is up for debate, but he's been a big time player and a homerun of a draft pick regardless.

I just wanted to touch on Angelo's drafts in that they didn't go the way we needed them to go. I graded both the 09 and 10 drafts very favorably due to them involving getting Cutler.

I've been on the boards saying Angelo shouldn't have been fired and approved of him as GM. I believe Angelo has been pretty good in his FA pick-ups, but that would be another post.

I like how you phrased how Hester should be viewed.He IMO is HOF talent,the problem is for him to get voted in as basically a special teamer would set a precedent that some of the voters may be reluctant to do. If thats not the case then why isn't Ray Guy the greatest punter I have ever seen play in the Hall?

I consider picks like Hester and Manning as well as Bazuin,Roe Williams and Tillman more like trying to catch lightening in a bottle.