Will Muschamp

Ed Hochuli 3:16

When Pete Carrol failed the 1st time he wasn't coming from the college ranks. He was a pro assistant that failed as a HC, IIRC. It was after that failure that he went into the college ranks.

Carroll was a college assistant from 1973 to 83.

Peace :dabears

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carroll was a college assistant from 1973 to 83.

He was an NFL assistant for 10 years 1984-1994 before he got the call to be the Jets HC for a whopping 1 year. Then served as the 9ers DC 1995-1996.That imo says he had paid his dues as an NFL assistant before he got his chance.

He was an NFL assistant for 10 years 1984-1994 before he got the call to be the Jets HC for a whopping 1 year. Then served as the 9ers DC 1995-1996.That imo says he had paid his dues as an NFL assistant before he got his chance.

But he was used as an example of a head coach who came from the college ranks and had success. He was in the NFL for 10 years before he got the opportunity as a head coach.

My point, again, is I simply don't want a head coach coming straight from college with no NFL experience. I have no issues with them coming in from college as an assistant coach first and working their way to head coach.

But he was used as an example of a head coach who came from the college ranks and had success. He was in the NFL for 10 years before he got the opportunity as a head coach.

My point, again, is I simply don't want a head coach coming straight from college with no NFL experience. I have no issues with them coming in from college as an assistant coach first and working their way to head coach.

Bill O'Brien (Penn State) was an offensive coach, receivers coach, QB coach, finally OC with the Patriots.

Will Muschamp was the Dolphins Defensive Coordinator under Saban.

The only college coach being talked about as a HC candidate with no pro experience that I know of is Chip Kelly, from Oregon, who has worked his way up. And honestly, you're right, I don't know that I'd want a college coach who has never been in an NFL locker room for a season taking over as NFL head coach, because the environment can be quite different, so that's a knock on Kelly, but the other guys meet your standard.

What I meant was, he didn't get hired in the NFL as a head coach because of his college resume, it was because of his NFL experience (where he was for about 10 years before being hired as HC of the Pats).

I have had other people, not necessarily on this board, mention Carroll as a successful head coach coming directly from college.

Carroll shouldn't be part of the conversation when discussing a head coach coming directly from college because that is obviously not the case.

CB first of all I'm not against your preference at all. I'm just hoping to open the field to the best candidate period for the team that I have invested a lot of years( Vintage 66) in.With the introduction of a lot of the teams using some college formations the transformation of a college coach on OFFENSE is not as difficult as it used to be.

Just like the coaches in play who have spent years in the booth as analyst are being considered for openings now, the guys currently coaching in college now at least have tried to recruit some of the players that may be in play for teams during FA, the draft and etc.

Guest TerraTor
Of course, that's definitely something I can research.

Why don't you join a Patriots board? You come on here and bitch and complain about every loss, acting as if an atomic bomb just hit your home. Go away.

No assclown, you attack me among others, because our opinion differs.

No assclown, you attack me among others, because our opinion differs.

They differ? One second you write Major Wright sucks, and the next you say you're not talking about Major Wright. Then, you say they should draft LB's even though you acknowledge that they don't need LB's. Why would any GM draft LB's if they have had 2 of the best linebackers in franchise history for many years? There's a difference between opinions and facts. You're arguing with facts.

Of course, that's definitely something I can research.

Why don't you join a Patriots board? You come on here and bitch and complain about every loss, acting as if an atomic bomb just hit your home. Go away.

Really? How many times am I told (in so many words) to respect other opinions and you put this out? Think that was the whole point of this board; to be able to express personal opinions and thoughts about our "beloved". Now you're telling me (and anyone who reads what you wrote) that it's not ok?

They differ? One second you write Major Wright sucks, and the next you say you're not talking about Major Wright. Then, you say they should draft LB's even though you acknowledge that they don't need LB's. Why would any GM draft LB's if they have had 2 of the best linebackers in franchise history for many years? There's a difference between opinions and facts. You're arguing with facts.

I have to agree with terra... it seems like everytime he posts something you start blasting him... so what terra bitches about the team a lot... so do i and a lot of others... but you seem to try to invoke an altercation when he posts something you don't like... someone told alaska if you don't agree with what'd being posted don't read the posts... that's what i do...and until now the team hasn't given a lot to cheer about... we all have a right to vent at times but not to antagonize...

Really? How many times am I told (in so many words) to respect other opinions and you put this out? Think that was the whole point of this board; to be able to express personal opinions and thoughts about our "beloved". Now you're telling me (and anyone who reads what you wrote) that it's not ok?

Right on alaska!!!

I have to agree with terra... it seems like everytime he posts something you start blasting him... so what terra bitches about the team a lot... so do i and a lot of others... but you seem to try to invoke an altercation when he posts something you don't like... someone told alaska if you don't agree with what'd being posted don't read the posts... that's what i do...and until now the team hasn't given a lot to cheer about... we all have a right to vent at times but not to antagonize...

He has every right to criticize him, but when everytime he posts he barely writes a sentence, it's spam. He has posts but no solutions. "They suck"..."Lovie sucks." Ok, so what's your solution? That's probably asking too much, though. He also has no consistency, as I stated earlier in the thread. He wrote Wright sucks, and when people called him out, he said he wasn't talking about Wright. Pick one.