Is Hester about sign a contract extension?

AZ54

Read this and I'm wondering if Hester is about to sign a modest contract extension, one that will pay him to simply focus on being a KR/PR?

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears

When we last heard from Chicago Bears returner/receiver Devin Hester, he had backed off his threat to retire but was still suggesting he might benefit from a fresh start with another franchise. Tuesday, Hester used a post on his Instagram account to imply he has had a change of heart.

Hester

The post read: "For all my Bears fan #yes. I'm a bear 4 life.# Beardown!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've said Emery must be working on finding more cap room. I'm not a cap enthusiast but I'd guess we could gain some room if we gave Hester a modest 3 year contract extension.

Read this and I'm wondering if Hester is about to sign a modest contract extension, one that will pay him to simply focus on being a KR/PR?

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears

When we last heard from Chicago Bears returner/receiver Devin Hester, he had backed off his threat to retire but was still suggesting he might benefit from a fresh start with another franchise. Tuesday, Hester used a post on his Instagram account to imply he has had a change of heart.

Hester

The post read: "For all my Bears fan #yes. I'm a bear 4 life.# Beardown!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've said Emery must be working on finding more cap room. I'm not a cap enthusiast but I'd guess we could gain some room if we gave Hester a modest 3 year contract extension.

He is just back peddling from talking stupid when Lovie got fired. The Bears are that stupid to give him an extension. Maybe tear up the old one and give him the vet min.

This would be a coup for the Bears organization. It was keep a long-time fan-favorite, who also happens to be the best return man in history. It would restructure money for the salary cap (I think). And it would signify a move away from Hester as a WR, and a return to where he is best (KR/PR).

Alternately, it would be good for me because it would mean the Bears are less likely to get a WR high in the draft because they'd view Hester as a WR for roster purposes.

Agreed.

This would be a coup for the Bears organization. It was keep a long-time fan-favorite, who also happens to be the best return man in history. It would restructure money for the salary cap (I think). And it would signify a move away from Hester as a WR, and a return to where he is best (KR/PR).

Alternately, it would be good for me because it would mean the Bears are less likely to get a WR high in the draft because they'd view Hester as a WR for roster purposes.

That shouldn't really have an affect at all on who they draft. If they find a receiver they like, they'll draft/sign that receiver.

Emery talked about him competing for the kick returner position this year.. Competing?? Further reasons for why it makes no sense to keep him around and waste a roster spot.

I say just cut the guy and save yourself a couple million in cap savings, and use it to bolster your offensive line/whatever else.

That shouldn't really have an affect at all on who they draft. If they keep him, they're not having him play receiver. Emery talked about him competing for the kick returner position, which signals to me they have no plans to feature him in any prominent role as a receiver, and likely not at all.

I don't understand why they don't just get rid of him. Emery described a guy who has to compete just to have a spot on the roster. Why wouldn't you just cut him and save some money?

Maybe because they believe, like I do, that if all the other roles are taken away from him, his physical abilities are so extraordinary that he can still be one of the best return men in the NFL, if not the very best.

Just look at his stats. Pre-WR duties, he tears up the league. Post-WR duties, he declines. It seems like a pretty obvious correlation.

Maybe because they believe, like I do, that if all the other roles are taken away from him, his physical abilities are so extraordinary that he can still be one of the best return men in the NFL, if not the very best.

Just look at his stats. Pre-WR duties, he tears up the league. Post-WR duties, he declines. It seems like a pretty obvious correlation.

That would be great except for the fact he has said his heart waant it because he was frustrated on how they used him on offense. I have a heard time thinking he will be all in on only being a KR/PR

You missed one point - he is on the wrong side of 30 now.

Peace :dabears

I agree that his age is a concern, but it is not like all players magically decline because they turn 30. It is more like 32-34 where you see the drop off.

If there are contract talks, maybe they are making him more enticing for a trade (with a lower cap hit).

I agree that his age is a concern, but it is not like all players magically decline because they turn 30. It is more like 32-34 where you see the drop off.

If there are contract talks, maybe they are making him more enticing for a trade (with a lower cap hit).

This. It's not like you hit 30 and suddenly your joints and muscles decline drastically.

I just think Hester is a guy who has phenomenal athletic ability and limited mental (both intelligence and psychological) ability. Lessen his burden and he can produce.

That was my first thought. That elusive quick step is a gift of the young. With other positions with experience can come greatness, that's not true with return men.

I'd add to that, when Hester was at his best, everybody we put back there looked awesome. D Manning and Knox both looked great. Everybody looked mediocre last year, including Hester. How much of it was the blocking and how much of it was the players involved?

My second thought: does Hester want traded and the Bears told him what he needs to do??? Sometimes you'll see, "I want to be with this for life!" and the next week they are gone. How did Hester go from one extreme to another?

My third thought: Contract extension??? What's a mediocre return man and a bad WR worth? In 2008 when Hester was at his best, his value was debated. Unproven WR who appeared to be the best return man in history. What is that worth? Now? He's looking at close to the veteran minimum. There's no sense in Hester agreeing to an extension when he's at his worst.

That was my first thought. That elusive quick step is a gift of the young. With other positions with experience can come greatness, that's not true with return men.

I'd add to that, when Hester was at his best, everybody we put back there looked awesome. D Manning and Knox both looked great. Everybody looked mediocre last year, including Hester. How much of it was the blocking and how much of it was the players involved?

My second thought: does Hester want traded and the Bears told him what he needs to do??? Sometimes you'll see, "I want to be with this for life!" and the next week they are gone. How did Hester go from one extreme to another?

My third thought: Contract extension??? What's a mediocre return man and a bad WR worth? In 2008 when Hester was at his best, his value was debated. Unproven WR who appeared to be the best return man in history. What is that worth? Now? He's looking at close to the veteran minimum. There's no sense in Hester agreeing to an extension when he's at his worst.

Whether he had good blocking or not, he doesnt look instinctive anymore. We cant play Lovie and keep hanging on to players that dont have it anymore. We have a fresh start so save his cap money, you dont pay a KR,PR 2.4 mil, and find someone new, a rookie that will make 550,000 this year.

This would all be a non-story had the Bears traded him after 2007 and got a few picks for him. His value was never going to be higher, and they instead kept him and gave him a stupid contract. Now, he admits his mind wasn't "in it" last year. Maybe because you got all of your money? Go away.

Yup!

This would all be a non-story had the Bears traded him after 2007 and got a few picks for him. His value was never going to be higher, and they instead kept him and gave him a stupid contract. Now, he admits his mind wasn't "in it" last year. Maybe because you got all of your money? Go away.

Your right on, I think he lost a step, lost his confidence and doesnt have passion for the game anymore. Take the 2.4mil and buy someone that wants to play.For 2.4 we can get something decent that can play, or roll the dice and make excuses for why he is still here. Deal with it, it doesnt have it anymore.

Your right on, I think he lost a step, lost his confidence and doesnt have passion for the game anymore. Take the 2.4mil and buy someone that wants to play.For 2.4 we can get someone decent that can play, or roll the dice and make excuses for why he is still here. Deal with it, it doesnt have it anymore.

Your right on, I think he lost a step, lost his confidence and doesnt have passion for the game anymore. Take the 2.4mil and buy someone that wants to play.For 2.4 we can get someone decent that can play, or roll the dice and make excuses for why he is still here. Deal with it, it doesnt have it anymore.

I think they'll try to recoup Hester's speed this off season. It's doable. He'll have to change his workout routine. Since he is no longer a WR, he'll be able to concentrate on getting his speed back. Since returning will be his only chance to make an impact he may just be hungry enough for success to return to old form. Of course they'll evaluate that and determine if he's worth the money before camp is over.

I think they'll try to recoup Hester's speed this off season. It's doable. He'll have to change his workout routine. Since he is no longer a WR, he'll be able to concentrate on getting his speed back. Since returning will be his only chance to make an impact he may just be hungry enough for success to return to old form. Of course they'll evaluate that and determine if he's worth the money before camp is over.

What about last year tells you he still has it? His not having the heart to play anymore when he thought about retiring? Thats the guy I want to pay 2.9 mil to get me 20 yard returns.

I saw a number of "almost" TD's last season. Some holding, some poor blocking, and some better coverage prevented those. He's still got it. And it appears to me (and many others), that when you keep it simple for him, he excels. The more they try to force fit him into the offense, the more his returns suffer. let's give the new ST guy a nice toy to play with. If the toy doesn't break the bank, give it a whirl for a season and see what can happen. Change, as the Bears have done, will either breed animosity or productivity. I would be more than willing to gamble a little that productivity will happen as long as theprice is reasonable.

http://www.nfl.com/player/devinhester/2506897/careerstats

KICK RETURN

Year Team G Ret Yds Avg Lng TD 20+ 40+ FC FUM

2012 Chicago Bears 15 24 621 25.9 40 0 19 2 0 1

2011 Chicago Bears 16 33 723 21.9 98T 1 15 2 0 0

2010 Chicago Bears 16 12 427 35.6 79 0 9 5 0 0

2009 Chicago Bears 13 7 156 22.3 44 0 4 1 0 0

2008 Chicago Bears 15 31 679 21.9 51 0 20 2 0 1

2007 Chicago Bears 16 43 934 21.7 97T 2 20 2 0 2

2006 Chicago Bears 16 20 528 26.4 96T 2 12 2 0 2

PUNT RETURN

Year Team G Ret RetY Avg Lng TD 20+ 40+ FC FUM

2012 Chicago Bears 15 40 331 8.3 44 0 5 1 6 0

2011 Chicago Bears 16 28 454 16.2 82T 2 9 3 15 4

2010 Chicago Bears 16 33 564 17.1 89T 3 9 5 10 0

2009 Chicago Bears 13 24 187 7.8 33 0 3 0 5 1

2008 Chicago Bears 15 32 198 6.2 25 0 4 0 14 3

2007 Chicago Bears 16 42 651 15.5 89T 4 10 4 6 5

2006 Chicago Bears 16 47 600 12.8 84T 3 11 4 12 6

TOTAL 107 246 2,985 12.1 89 12 51 17 68 19

These are not dismal stats...they aren't up to prior years'. But I'm not sure it's time to completely give up if the price is reasonable. That is the key...the price needs to be reasonable. I trust Mr Cliff the magic money man, to ensure such a deal would be reasonable.

What about last year tells you he still has it? His not having the heart to play anymore when he thought about retiring? Thats the guy I want to pay 2.9 mil to get me 20 yard returns.

I saw a number of "almost" TD's last season. Some holding, some poor blocking, and some better coverage prevented those. He's still got it. And it appears to me (and many others), that when you keep it simple for him, he excels. The more they try to force fit him into the offense, the more his returns suffer. let's give the new ST guy a nice toy to play with. If the toy doesn't break the bank, give it a whirl for a season and see what can happen. Change, as the Bears have done, will either breed animosity or productivity. I would be more than willing to gamble a little that productivity will happen as long as theprice is reasonable.

http://www.nfl.com/player/devinhester/2506897/careerstats

KICK RETURN

Year Team G Ret Yds Avg Lng TD 20+ 40+ FC FUM

2012 Chicago Bears 15 24 621 25.9 40 0 19 2 0 1

2011 Chicago Bears 16 33 723 21.9 98T 1 15 2 0 0

2010 Chicago Bears 16 12 427 35.6 79 0 9 5 0 0

2009 Chicago Bears 13 7 156 22.3 44 0 4 1 0 0

2008 Chicago Bears 15 31 679 21.9 51 0 20 2 0 1

2007 Chicago Bears 16 43 934 21.7 97T 2 20 2 0 2

2006 Chicago Bears 16 20 528 26.4 96T 2 12 2 0 2

PUNT RETURN

Year Team G Ret RetY Avg Lng TD 20+ 40+ FC FUM

2012 Chicago Bears 15 40 331 8.3 44 0 5 1 6 0

2011 Chicago Bears 16 28 454 16.2 82T 2 9 3 15 4

2010 Chicago Bears 16 33 564 17.1 89T 3 9 5 10 0

2009 Chicago Bears 13 24 187 7.8 33 0 3 0 5 1

2008 Chicago Bears 15 32 198 6.2 25 0 4 0 14 3

2007 Chicago Bears 16 42 651 15.5 89T 4 10 4 6 5

2006 Chicago Bears 16 47 600 12.8 84T 3 11 4 12 6

TOTAL 107 246 2,985 12.1 89 12 51 17 68 19

These are not dismal stats...they aren't up to prior years'. But I'm not sure it's time to completely give up if the price is reasonable. That is the key...the price needs to be reasonable. I trust Mr Cliff the magic money man, to ensure such a deal would be reasonable.

Yes there was at least 1 return that should have been a TD if Bowman & one other player had kept blocking instead of celebrating early

Hindsight is 20/20. If he were traded after 2007, virtually everyone on the planet would have called it a stupid move. Eleven return TDs in the first two years?! That's ridiculous. This board would have exploded, and I'm sure at least one or two would have had heart attacks. On top of that, we would have been talking about how the trade was probably bad in retrospect because of his six subsequent return TDs.

I'd be one of the ones who would've had a heart attack...

Hindsight is 20/20. If he were traded after 2007, virtually everyone on the planet would have called it a stupid move. Eleven return TDs in the first two years?! That's ridiculous. This board would have exploded, and I'm sure at least one or two would have had heart attacks. On top of that, we would have been talking about how the trade was probably bad in retrospect because of his six subsequent return TDs.

Like Cutler, Hester is another guy that I was never as high on, from the get-go, as most other fans...as a returner, even. Such a large portion of his results in any given year depended on how well Toub's blockers had solidified as a unit. If anything, at WR I think he exceeded my expectations relative to what I feared when it was announced we were switching him to O. For a couple of years there, I was even starting to think "well, guess i was wrong". But with respect to WR, I think he either needed some basic level of experience or a special knack for the position to go along with his elite physical skills, but having neither isn't good enough.

Still, I felt he may have been the best returner in the league over these past years, and I value personnel stability, so I wasn't calling for him to be traded...especially without knowing what we get in return. His return to start our Super Bowl appearance is one of the highlights of my years of being a Bears fan. And the fan in me knows that Sundays would be a little less interesting without him out there.