Official 2013 NFL Draft Thread

adam

He's basically the Mark Bradley of OL prospects. Great measurables, great potential, and a chance to be a steal when all is said and done. He has 2 things that Bradley never had going for him. He has an offensive minded head coach and an OC that got the job because of his ability to develop OLinemen. If he has the drive his brother and Dad have, he should turn out to be a great pick.

Bradley never was a starter in college. If Kyle Long can navigate up and down stairs he may just be a better athlete than Bradley.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is three immediate starters. We take a guy who is likely to be inactive most of the season. And he was drafted before any of Minny's 3 immediate starters.

This is the 2nd year in a row we have reached on a "project" type player in the first round. Emery said you want to draft starters in rounds 1 and 2, but nobody ever thought McClellin would start.

Raise your hand if you think Long is a starter this year?

Why do you think he'll be inactive? I definitely don't agree. He'll start over Brown.

Mayock likes him for the same reason Ziggy Ansah flew up the draft boards. It didn't seem to bother anyone that Ziggy started playing football 3 years ago only after failing at track and being cut by the basketball team twice. And that is BYU basketball. When his dad says he is the best athlete in the family I will take that. I watched most of oregon's games and I (because of his dad) paid attention to Kyle and I was impressed.

Mayock likes him for the same reason Ziggy Ansah flew up the draft boards. It didn't seem to bother anyone that Ziggy started playing football 3 years ago only after failing at track and being cut by the basketball team twice. And that is BYU basketball. When his dad says he is the best athlete in the family I will take that. I watched most of oregon's games and I (because of his dad) paid attention to Kyle and I was impressed.

Werner too. Kyle is an athlete, and I wanted him at #50, but with the early run on OL (3 out of the top 4 picks), and 7 in the first 19, they almost had to pull the trigger.

We still haven't seen Geno Smith or Barkley go, and I assume that will be in the 2nd, Lacy as well. So we should be setup for a very solid pick at #50.

Hand raised. He's better than Carimi ever was athletically. A couple things to note regarding him starting only 4 games at Oregon. He was not with their program in the spring so he had no spring camp to learn their offense. He basically started on their team in the fall practices, learned their offense, and by mid-season earned a starting role in a position he had very little experience playing. He is not as much of a project as might appear at first glance but he definitely has things to work on. I liked him in the 2nd Rd, 20 seems way early to me but he definitely has the athleticism to play OT in the NFL.

I think he'll start simply because he doesn't have that much competition but he could be a backup for a year at OG while Kromer works with him and then slide out to RT or be our long term starter at OG.

Lovie always got his projects on defense but the new coaches get their projects on offense.

Agreed. we now have an O-minded regime.Wow, this is going to be very different for Beardom! About time we looked to bring the Oline up to snuff.

Agreed. we now have an O-minded regime.Wow, this is going to be very different for Beardom! About time we looked to bring the Oline up to snuff.

Amen. Maybe they'll (GASP!) address both sides of the team!? Maybe the Bears will be able to beat teams via offense OR defense?! Maybe the offense might actually scare an opponent for a change. I know that concept scares the "3 yards and a cloud of dust"-crowd, but it excites me. Welcome to the 21st century Chicago Bears! Nice of you finally realize this is turning into an offensive driven, pass happy league.

Amen. Maybe they'll (GASP!) address both sides of the team!? Maybe the Bears will be able to beat teams via offense OR defense?! Maybe the offense might actually scare an opponent for a change. I know that concept scares the "3 yards and a cloud of dust"-crowd, but it excites me. Welcome to the 21st century Chicago Bears! Nice of you finally realize this is turning into an offensive driven, pass happy league.

It could be a lot of fun. Or a catastrophe. :rolleyes:

It could be a lot of fun. Or a catastrophe. :rolleyes:

Better than hanging on to the status quo and expecting wildly different results. Gotta take chances in life. I'm not a big fan of being a B average guy in life. You get some failures along the way, but that's the only way you learn and get better. Playing it safe rarely makes someone better.

Better than hanging on to the status quo and expecting wildly different results. Gotta take chances in life. I'm not a big fan of being a B average guy in life. You get some failures along the way, but that's the only way you learn and get better. Playing it safe rarely makes someone better.

Thats funny, sounds like playing not to lose, which we have been great at. I agree, you have to break from the mold sometimes and think out of the box.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Does anyone on this board think his HOF father isn't going to do everything that he can to make what seems like one of his most troubled offspring have all the support he needs to succeed in this league? He already enlisted the help of Jimmy Johnson and Tony Wise.

Agreed.

It's kind of a wash...

Given his "Silver Spoon" upbringing and troubles that folks can get in when they have too much money and time...his pops apepars to be trying to curb it.

So, maybe another troubled player wouldn't have the tin w/o the potential yang.

Here's hoping Howie, Jimmy, Tony, Kromer, Marc, etc...all steer him in the right direction!

Does anyone on this board think his HOF father isn't going to do everything that he can to make what seems like one of his most troubled offspring have all the support he needs to succeed in this league? He already enlisted the help of Jimmy Johnson and Tony Wise.

I was never concerned.

I remember at that age still being a tad on the silly side and ny parents did everythin in the world for and I had two older brothers to lead an example as for what to do and what not to do. I certainly believe in giving everyone a chance to screw up once. I still think of Stan Thomas and this pick is not as bad as that one was.

I remember at that age still being a tad on the silly side and ny parents did everythin in the world for and I had two older brothers to lead an example as for what to do and what not to do. I certainly believe in giving everyone a chance to screw up once. I still think of Stan Thomas and this pick is not as bad as that one was.

Te'o gone damnit. I'd have been happy if the Bears had taken him #50

Who's left:

Wide Receiver

Keenan Allen, Cal

Robert Woods, USC

Markus Wheaton, Oregon State

Justin Hunter, Tennessee

Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech

Tight End

Zach Ertz, Stanford

Gavin Escobar, San Diego State

Vance McDonald, Rice

Offensive Line

Menelik Watson, Florida State

Larry Warford, Kentucky

Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Barrett Jones, Alabama

Brian Schwenke, California

Defensive Tackle

Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Jesse Williams, Alabama

John Jenkins, Georgia

Kawann Short, Purdue

Linebacker

Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

Kevin Minter, LSU

Arthur Brown, Kansas State

Cornerback

Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State

Jamar Taylor, Boise State

David Amerson, N.C. State

Great pick for San Francisco. The rich get richer. Carradine is a steal.

Yeah, and their little trade down got them an extra 3rd rounder next year.

However, this is setting up for #50 nice, we will have a bunch of options, Arthur Brown, Keenan Allen, Jamar Taylor, Jesse Williams, Menelik Watson, Johnthan Banks, Kevin Minter, Terron Armstead.

Who's left at #49:

Wide Receiver

Keenan Allen, Cal

Tight End

Vance McDonald, Rice

Offensive Line

Larry Warford, Kentucky

Barrett Jones, Alabama

Defensive Tackle

Jesse Williams, Alabama

John Jenkins, Georgia

Linebacker

Cornerback

Kiko Alonso to the Bills. That's a MAJOR reach.

Who's left at #47:

Wide Receiver

Keenan Allen, Cal

Tight End

Gavin Escobar, San Diego State

Vance McDonald, Rice

Offensive Line

Larry Warford, Kentucky

Barrett Jones, Alabama

Defensive Tackle

Jesse Williams, Alabama

John Jenkins, Georgia

Linebacker

Cornerback

Kevin Minter gone. Crap. Would the Bears go Matt Barkley if he's there?

That'd be damn interesting if we went Barkley. How much longer can he last? With Arthur Brown and Keenan Allen, I can't see us drafting a back-up QB.

That being said, after the pick we will all probably be saying, WTF?

That'd be damn interesting if we went Barkley. How much longer can he last? With Arthur Brown and Keenan Allen, I can't see us drafting a back-up QB.

That being said, after the pick we will all probably be saying, WTF?

It'll probably be some guy I've never heard of, but Emery did draft Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd last year, so there is a little hope.