Carimi to be cut?

CrackerDog

This thread reeks of "correlation causation."

In other words, we don't know why he's staying in AZ. It could be a bad move for him. It could be a good move for him.

Yes, your statement is correct with respect to Carimi's perspective. But when you consider the team's perspective there is no way this is the ideal situation for Carimi. If his knee were 100% he'd be at camp learning the new offense because that would be what is best for him when he knows he has to compete to earn a roster spot.

If what is best for him at this point in the offseason is to rehab the knee then that is not a good sign, but you are correct it may well be what is best for him personally because in his perspective his career is longer than just this upcoming season. Right now with the Bears his career might be no longer than 3 months even if he were at minicamp.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000020...ign=Twitter_atl

General manager Phil Emery doesn't sound worried.

"This is a voluntary situation, and every player has to make his own decisions," Emery told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday night, via the Chicago Sun-Times. "Gabe has made a decision that he wants to stay in Arizona and train, and we respect that. And he'll be welcomed with open arms when he comes back."

If that is to be believed then he should be fine. The question now would be does he get the chance to compete at RT which I suspect he would with the drafting of Long.

(BTW that's an old video on that link, not sure why they put it up there)

Emery will not show his hand... He is saying all the right things.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000020...ign=Twitter_atl

If that is to be believed then he should be fine. The question now would be does he get the chance to compete at RT which I suspect he would with the drafting of Long.

(BTW that's an old video on that link, not sure why they put it up there)

Emery will not show his hand... He is saying all the right things.

I heard today that Carmi does not like the fact he is not being able to compete at RT and is trying to do things to piss off the team so they cut him and he can catch on with another team. He has garuenteed money, and wants a chance somewhere else.

I heard today that Carmi does not like the fact he is not being able to compete at RT and is trying to do things to piss off the team so they cut him and he can catch on with another team. He has garuenteed money, and wants a chance somewhere else.

Do you have a link? Can't find any articles online and you'd think there'd be at least one out there if this is true...Or did you just hear it in a conversation with Jason lol? =p

Do you have a link? Can't find any articles online and you'd think there'd be at least one out there if this is true...Or did you just hear it in a conversation with Jason lol? =p

It was on the score today, Zach Zaidman. Exactly like I posted earlier, how he wants to get cut so he can play RT somewhere. Don't blame him, he wants to play. Chris Williams did the same, became a pain and got released.

It was on the score today, Zach Zaidman. Exactly like I posted earlier, how he wants to get cut so he can play RT somewhere. Don't blame him, he wants to play. Chris Williams did the same, became a pain and got released.

Was it merely speculation or was it stated as truth? Hard to believe there's not an article on it if it's true. That's kind of big news there.

Novel concept here; get good Gabe and you will play.

Was it merely speculation or was it stated as truth? Hard to believe there's not an article on it if it's true. That's kind of big news there.

It is just a report, I would say unless it comes as a direct quote from Carimi's mouth, it is always speculation.

Ha he might just came to realize that he sucks and is fighting just to stay on the roster. With Long and Mills being the newcomers and Bushrod, Webb and Scott at the top three spots at tackle and with Slauson, Britton, and Brown at guard if there is no earth shaking performance during OTA'S and camp he will cut

Ha he might just came to realize that he sucks and is fighting just to stay on the roster. With Long and Mills being the newcomers and Bushrod, Webb and Scott at the top three spots at tackle and with Slauson, Britton, and Brown at guard if there is no earth shaking performance during OTA'S and camp he will cut

Some other team will always give a second chance to a first round pick.

In one of the videos on the Bears website, Forte was being interviewed and was asked about Carimi not being there. He said he thought that he should've been there as there was so much to learn (new blocking schemes) and it was a great time to mingle with the new players.

Like some others have said, you don't miss OTA's as a player already on the bubble with a new coaching staff. He is either asking to be cut so he can find a new job or they are working a trade.

In one of the videos on the Bears website, Forte was being interviewed and was asked about Carimi not being there. He said he thought that he should've been there as there was so much to learn (new blocking schemes) and it was a great time to mingle with the new players.

Like some others have said, you don't miss OTA's as a player already on the bubble with a new coaching staff. He is either asking to be cut so he can find a new job or they are working a trade.

After thinking about this some more I'm in agreement...he's gone. The real clue for me is the recent talk of the coaches about how high they are on Mills and (more key) that he can also play OG. I think the club is looking at (look the other way Jason):

OTs as Webb, Scott, Bushrod...with Webb or Scott being the backup OT.

OGs as Slauson, Long, Mills. Garza is our C and EWilliams backs him up that's the 8 in the box.

Competing for backup roles at OG (with some flexibility to play OT) are Brown, Carimi. Toss in Lonergan the UDFA who I believe will give EWilliams serious competition for the backup OC role.

Toss in the fact that Kyle Long is being put at RG and Slauson is clearly LG. Carimi flipped back and forth in practices before the draft but look who he rotated with ....

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/chalk-tal...d5-70b4159de8fa

"Gabe Carimi has been working with the second team at both guard positions, flip-flopping with Derek Dennis"

"The No. 1 offensive line Tuesday was comprised of Slauson and James Brown flip-flopping between the two guard positions"

The writing was on the wall before the draft. Now add Kyle Long and Mills to that OG mix and you see where Carimi is in the eyes of this coaching staff.

If all Carimi is going to be is a bottom of the depth chart Oline player then I'd say we should go after a trade. That assumes we like the long term upside of Jordan Mills more than Carimi, which appears to be the case after Emery's comments

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...07-a034439135c2

"...and Jordan Mills from Louisiana Tech who we like a bunch both as a guard and a tackle."

Thus Mill's make the roster because I don't think he would make it to the practice squad before getting picked up by another team. Carimi's best decision is to not risk any injury in practice at all to maximize his trade value and Emery's best decision is to talk him up.

Question is, would anyone give up a 7th rounder for a guy who stank last year, has a knee problem, and is likely to be cut in the near future?

I doubt anyone would trade for him if they think the Bears will cut him. Hopefully we could get a conditional 7th RD pick lol.

I sure didn't see this one coming, I thought Carimi was someone who was still a strong candidate to be a starter in the future and a long-time contributor to the team.....a shame a first round pick so quickly appears to be going sour.

New regime, new expectations, and same old bad picks by someone we dont need to mention. As someone on here was insightful about, we dont need to draft pre injured players. It ended up being a lost cause on Carimi, he will probably suck it up and end up playing with someone else, bad tape, bad attitude can get u cut.

I want ot add that it is not my preference that Carimi gets cut or traded. I said a few weeks ago that I hoped he earned a starting role. I'm just trying to read the tea leaves from all the quotes and facts about what happens in practice, who or what position we drafted, etc.

I had one more point that helped me come to my conclusion that the team is done with Carimi...

--------------------

I can't find the quote right now but recently Kromer (I'm pretty sure it was him) said that he really liked Slauson because he was strong and had the ability to quickly anchor and set the pocket. He continued with how important that was in pass protection especially up the middle.

---------------------

Consider that with what Carimi struggle with the most last year as player after player walked him backwards into Cutler.

Further it seems that Job #1 with this offense is the short passing game. Which means the above is what coaches want first out of their Oline.

I did find an interview of Kromer's after rookie mini-camp where he stated that he couldn't care less if a guy was drafted in Rd 1, round 7, was an undrafted FA, or had been cut by 8 teams, he just wanted the best combination of 5 linemen to start.

He is not bothered at all if we cut a former 1st Rd pick.

That comment also was different as most coaches say they want the best 5 players out there. He wanted the best combination of players who could work together to consistently block from the inside out. He also (like any coach) wants versatility in players in case of injuries.

Again, if they don't see Carimi as OG/backup OT as I expected he could be then I'd say a guy like Mills who they've already stated can play both OG/OT has the upper hand in getting a roster spot.

New regime, new expectations, and same old bad picks by someone we dont need to mention. As someone on here was insightful about, we dont need to draft pre injured players. It ended up being a lost cause on Carimi, he will probably suck it up and end up playing with someone else, bad tape, bad attitude can get u cut.

Spot on, I think you are exactly right.....too bad though, it seemed clear he had talent and what a waste of a draft pick! Thanks JA and LS.

I still think they should give him a chance. I know some have brought up game tape as a reason they know he's no good but how much healthy game tape does he have? I think that's a key, if they are looking at game tape from last year where his knee supposedly wasn't healthy that's not really good tape to go off of.

I know they said they view him strictly as an OG but I was hoping he'd be able to compete for the RT position as well. I know between Webb/Scott/Mills that's already a lot of competition but I thought a healthy Carimi would be able to add more to that....Perhaps a healthy Carimi is not what we have though.

I doubt they cut him before they see him in pads.

I still think they should give him a chance. I know some have brought up game tape as a reason they know he's no good but how much healthy game tape does he have? I think that's a key, if they are looking at game tape from last year where his knee supposedly wasn't healthy that's not really good tape to go off of.

I know they said they view him strictly as an OG but I was hoping he'd be able to compete for the RT position as well. I know between Webb/Scott/Mills that's already a lot of competition but I thought a healthy Carimi would be able to add more to that....Perhaps a healthy Carimi is not what we have though.

I have to agree, I cannot see writing this guy off until he has a chance to compete for a roster position in training camp.

Yes, maybe he should be at OTAs but it is not unheard of for players to miss these for many reasons.

But I think they will wait and see how he performs in preseason and then make the call. If he is cut I would be surprised if that came about until final cuts.

The problem is he isnt at OTAs that doesnt endear him to the new coaching staff.