Carimi to be cut?

CrackerDog

Carimi is still very young and missed a huge chunk of time due to injury. It would be foolish to cut the guy unless there's something in his personality that the coaches don't like (i.e., don't think will make him coachable and get anywhere near his potential). As Jason mentioned, this reeks of Columbo, except Columbo got more opportunity to prove himself. These coaches better have a lot more going on with our other OL depth players than it seems if they're going to cut a young, first rounder they barely know.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carimi is still very young and missed a huge chunk of time due to injury. It would be foolish to cut the guy unless there's something in his personality that the coaches don't like (i.e., don't think will make him coachable and get anywhere near his potential). As Jason mentioned, this reeks of Columbo, except Columbo got more opportunity to prove himself. These coaches better have a lot more going on with our other OL depth players than it seems if they're going to cut a young, first rounder they barely know.

He is someone else's first round pick,they watched tape and he was terrible. So the new coaching staff put him at the bottom of the depth list. He has to prove himself, and seems he copped an attitude. You need to be there to change peoples minds and he is not.

He is someone else's first round pick,they watched tape and he was terrible. So the new coaching staff put him at the bottom of the depth list. He has to prove himself, and seems he copped an attitude. You need to be there to change peoples minds and he is not.

Did they watch tape of a healthy Carimi though?...When did he get hurt his rookie year again? Where are you getting that he copped an attitude?

I'm obviously ok with Webb at RT but the more competition the better to further validate whoever wins the position.

Did they watch tape of a healthy Carimi though?...When did he get hurt his rookie year again? Where are you getting that he copped an attitude?

I'm obviously ok with Webb at RT but the more competition the better to further validate whoever wins the position.

Again, and you said this in one of your other posts, have they even seen a healthy Carimi practice?

According to Carimi the answer is no.

If tape of offensive linemen playing poorly warrants being cut, then the Bears will be doing a lot more cutting than just Carimi. Expect to see Webb, Garza, and just about everyone else dropped from the ranks as well.

If tape of offensive linemen playing poorly warrants being cut, then the Bears will be doing a lot more cutting than just Carimi. Expect to see Webb, Garza, and just about everyone else dropped from the ranks as well.

That's a definite possibility! I expect the coaches are going to take a long look at each option to improve our dismal line.

Blah, blah, blah. Have we not heard this a milion times a milion different ways. Bently is saying exactly what Carimi is paying him for.

Hopefully this all turns out ok, it would be nice if he come in to camp looking like the player we drafted,but for some reason, I find that hard to believe this all turns around this quickly after a 2 year slide.

I would say it is a big factor in the evaluation, what are they going to go by his press clippings, oh he doesnt have any.

Blah, blah, blah. Have we not heard this a milion times a milion different ways. Bently is saying exactly what Carimi is paying him for.

I didn't read it that way although for sure Bentley has an investment in seeing Carimi succeed. I didn't see any quote on Carimi saying he wanted to be a starter but I agree that should be his goal. Bentley stated clearly that Carimi must return to the Bears as a better player than he's ever been and it's all on him to put the work in to get there. He also said Carimi may not be with the Bears this season. Carimi recognized that himself and he's working to improve. I would prefer it be at the OTAs but it seems he knew he needed some different training to get his technique in order.

I have said I think the organization is moving away from Carimi and I still believe that is true. I have also said I'd love to see Carimi earn a starting role. I still feel that way too because if he does come back and do that then our Oline just got better.

I didn't read it that way although for sure Bentley has an investment in seeing Carimi succeed. I didn't see any quote on Carimi saying he wanted to be a starter but I agree that should be his goal. Bentley stated clearly that Carimi must return to the Bears as a better player than he's ever been and it's all on him to put the work in to get there. He also said Carimi may not be with the Bears this season. Carimi recognized that himself and he's working to improve. I would prefer it be at the OTAs but it seems he knew he needed some different training to get his technique in order.

I have said I think the organization is moving away from Carimi and I still believe that is true. I have also said I'd love to see Carimi earn a starting role. I still feel that way too because if he does come back and do that then our Oline just got better.

The bolded above is what the blah blah was about. Guess I could have explained it better.

I would hope that the coaching staff Don't make a decision either way until he comes into training camp. Maybe I'm a glass half full guy but if his knee is sound and he comes in strong and at a good weight then he may prove not to be a bust. it is not his fault that he has been injured since joining the bears. I hope the coaches don't take it personal about him missing OTA's and be objective to whether he has earned his roster spot. No one is calling out McCellan's performance last year but I can't say that it was impressive and will he get longer to stick because he is an emery pick.

I would hope that the coaching staff Don't make a decision either way until he comes into training camp. Maybe I'm a glass half full guy but if his knee is sound and he comes in strong and at a good weight then he may prove not to be a bust. it is not his fault that he has been injured since joining the bears. I hope the coaches don't take it personal about him missing OTA's and be objective to whether he has earned his roster spot. No one is calling out McCellan's performance last year but I can't say that it was impressive and will he get longer to stick because he is an emery pick.

Ha Ha Ha in response to you post McCellan actually did something for the defense other than almost getting the QB killed as in the case with Carimi

Ha Ha Ha in response to you post McCellan actually did something for the defense other than almost getting the QB killed as in the case with Carimi

Wasn't Carmi something like the #2 best run blocker on the Bears according to that metric that was posted here many months ago? I would call that something. Carimi isn't exactly some guy who's been given opportunity after opportunity and done nothing with it. Why be so cynical? I heard a rumor once that it's very hard to succeed at the NFL level.

Bottom line for me. There is a reason why players don't show up for any type of comp. Before, during, or after, the reg. season. Don't care what they or anyone else calls it. They can't compete for one reason or another. Now do you keep him in some compacity, IR, etc. etc. Beyond my paygrade and left to those who are paid to build teams not only for today but also tomorrow figure that out.

My hope is that some team is in dire need of an OL and will take a flyer on him hoping a change of scenery will help him. He was a former first rounder, so getting anything for him would be great considering his $2 million cap hit.

My hope is that some team is in dire need of an OL and will take a flyer on him hoping a change of scenery will help him. He was a former first rounder, so getting anything for him would be great considering his $2 million cap hit.

I'd rather see him in camp healthy and hungry to compete for a spot. Would love to see him win a starting role. That would provide great depth and competition.

I'd rather see him in camp healthy and hungry to compete for a spot. Would love to see him win a starting role. That would provide great depth and competition.

Likewise. For some reason the offseason morphs opinions, and turns bad players into average players (see: Webb) and bad players into horrible players (see: Carimi). Carimi showed enough promise in run-blocking alone to be given a chance to compete. The fact that he was coming off of injury, and dicked around by one of the most overwhelmed coaches in recent history (Tice), should be the icing on the cake.

Likewise. For some reason the offseason morphs opinions, and turns bad players into average players (see: Webb) and bad players into horrible players (see: Carimi). Carimi showed enough promise in run-blocking alone to be given a chance to compete. The fact that he was coming off of injury, and dicked around by one of the most overwhelmed coaches in recent history (Tice), should be the icing on the cake.

Jason, did you read any of the blog posts on Bentley's site? I read some of his posts and his thoughts on blocking techniques, effective weight lifting for oline, etc. and found it interesting considering Carimi's biggest weakness was that he couldn't hold his ground against the bull rush. While I have no idea if Bentley's coaching/training works he is right on topic for what Carimi needs IMO.

Jason, did you read any of the blog posts on Bentley's site? I read some of his posts and his thoughts on blocking techniques, effective weight lifting for oline, etc. and found it interesting considering Carimi's biggest weakness was that he couldn't hold his ground against the bull rush. While I have no idea if Bentley's coaching/training works he is right on topic for what Carimi needs IMO.

No, I did not. But from your brief synopsis, it sounds like he's probably right. I think a lot of Carimi's problems last year with the bull rush dealt with anchoring himself too high or not leaning into the block. He was so worried about beat on edges that he just let the defender plow him. Then after the defender did that, Carimi was confused and often guessed on his mechanics. He should deliver just as many pass blocking hits as he receives, if not more.