Bears talking to Jarred Allen

scs787

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 52s

While Denver focuses on DeMarcus Ware…Vikings free-agent DE Jared Allen is talking with the Bears and Seattle Seahawks, per league source.

They're not done at DE it seems. Deepening on the $$$ it could end up being a real good signing.

Competing with Seattle scares me a bit since he'll probably be looking to win a title.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Denver focuses on DeMarcus Ware…Vikings free-agent DE Jared Allen is talking with the Bears and Seattle Seahawks, per league source.

They're not done at DE it seems. Deepening on the $$$ it could end up being a real good signing.

Competing with Seattle scares me a bit since he'll probably be looking to win a title.

I wouldnt mind seeing that, he knows he would probably start here, maybe he comes on a one year 5 mil. deal.

Briggs disagrees

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 9m

I don't believe #Bears are in play for Jared Allen.

If they're talking, it's not about building houses. So someone;s wrong here. Bears absolutely need to add another DE.

It might not be him but they will grab another end.

Isn't Biggs the guy who said Bennett was on his way to Chicago? FA is a very fluid time and teams go fishing in several directions at once not knowing which line will make the catch. Then you have to adjust your budget and hope you can bring in the next target. Meanwhile the teams that didn't get the early bite now have more cash than you. I don't think we were in the market for Allen early on, or really all weekend but that doesn't mean it didn't change.

Does Denver wish to have Ware over Allen?

Also, we had the #2 scoring offense last year. I believe we are a Superbowl contending team if we fix our defense to just average. Not much different than Seattle taking an average offense to the Superbowl on the back of a great defense. Certainly comparable to Denver making it to the Superbowl. If we end up with Houston and Allen I'd be very happy with our DE situation.

Isn't Biggs the guy who said Bennett was on his way to Chicago? FA is a very fluid time and teams go fishing in several directions at once not knowing which line will make the catch. Then you have to adjust your budget and hope you can bring in the next target. Meanwhile the teams that didn't get the early bite now have more cash than you. I don't think we were in the market for Allen early on, or really all weekend but that doesn't mean it didn't change.

Also, we had the #2 scoring offense last year. I believe we are a Superbowl contending team if we fix our defense to just average. Not much different than Seattle taking an average offense to the Superbowl on the back of a great defense. Certainly comparable to Denver making it to the Superbowl. If we end up with Houston and Allen I'd be very happy with our DE situation.

Denver now are in hot pursuit of Ware, Allen still thinks he should be paid a big check, said he would retire if he didnt get what he wants. I see us given him a mediocre offer , but if he wants to still play, maybe we get him.

Screw 5 million, give the man 27-45 million for 3 years.

He never had less that 11 sacks in his 6 years in Minny. Creatively pay the man, and let's get a pass rush back. He'd be Peppers age after 3 years, and we could let him go then.

We dont have that much money,that would kill our cap. You can only have x number of big dollar contracts and we have to many starter spots to fill to blow the cap up on one guy.

Biggsy knew we offered the most money to him, so speculation dictated we would probably get him. Playing on a SB winner with prospects of going back again is a huge edge, he wants to win, so he choose them. I can understand that choice.

Biggsy knew we offered the most money to him, so speculation dictated we would probably get him. Playing on a SB winner with prospects of going back again is a huge edge, he wants to win, so he choose them. I can understand that choice.

So Allen goes to Seattle too?

Overnight word on Jared Allen is that #Bears are not in the mix to sign him at the moment, per informed sources

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiBears

That would suck to lose 2 DL to Seattle in 24 hours.

We dont have that much money,that would kill our cap. You can only have x number of big dollar contracts and we have to many starter spots to fill to blow the cap up on one guy.

It'd definitely hurt cap wise, but it'd be doable. The Bears won't have the 8 million in dead money from Peppers next year. They would just need to be a little creative on the numbers to take advantage. There's always the Cutler ATM to go to also.

The Bears need an impact player on D. At 31, he is better than the 29 year old Peppers that the Bears signed 5 years ago. A player that does what he can do isn't easy to come by. The Bears lack of pass rush was a major part of why they were so bad last year.

I would love Allen on this team. We need a pass rusher.

I agree, I would love signing him..... I would be first in line to buy an Allen jersey!!! lol good old number 69!!!

That's Meltons number! Still got a feeling he'll be back.

Sadly after the Ware signing, I'm not even sure Allen is realistic. Supposedly Denver offered him the same 3/30 they gave Ware.

That's Meltons number! Still got a feeling he'll be back.

Sadly after the Ware signing, I'm not even sure Allen is realistic. Supposedly Denver offered him the same 3/30 they gave Ware.

I didn't even think about that being Meltons number..... Denver offered Allen 3/30....... freak!!! They really want to win next year!!

I didn't even think about that being Meltons number..... Denver offered Allen 3/30....... freak!!! They really want to win next year!!

Yup, they know they only got a year or 2 left with Manning, gotta get that ring. We're miles behind Denver at this point, unless we really hit it big in the draft.

Yup, they know they only got a year or 2 left with Manning, gotta get that ring. We're miles behind Denver at this point, unless we really hit it big in the draft.

With the way its shaping up Emery has to hit home runs in round 1-3........ I know its early but it doesn't look pretty on D right now.

Perfect world= Melton, Tillman and Allen sign with us..... Dip into that Cutler fund to free up some space(not sure what the numbers would be to get this done, I know its unlikely). If that happened I would be pretty happy.

Schefter just said again on ESPN the Bears were in contact with Jared Allen. Somebody is obviously wrong here.

Hopefully its Biggs/Wright who don't think so....Hopefully the report of 10M a year is wrong too.

With the way its shaping up Emery has to hit home runs in round 1-3........ I know its early but it doesn't look pretty on D right now.

Perfect world= Melton, Tillman and Allen sign with us..... Dip into that Cutler fund to free up some space(not sure what the numbers would be to get this done, I know its unlikely). If that happened I would be pretty happy.

Emery said something about there being more value in the draft at CB, so I think that's where they get their CB. Melton/Allen would be fantastic.

If they get those 2 then we're looking at CB and S as the only clear needs for upgrades. Perhaps throw in another DE to give Allen some rest/take over in a year or 2.

My cousin who was born and raised in Chicago is married to Jared Allen. Knowing my cousin.. I say there is a HUGE possibility Allen signs with Chicago.

I hope this true, always loved watching him play even tho it was for the Vikes........ and your cousin is hot!!!! hahaha I hope you are helping in the recruiting process!!!!!

Hopefully its Biggs/Wright who don't think so....Hopefully the report of 10M a year is wrong too.

Emery said something about there being more value in the draft at CB, so I think that's where they get their CB. Melton/Allen would be fantastic.

If they get those 2 then we're looking at CB and S as the only clear needs for upgrades. Perhaps throw in another DE to give Allen some rest/take over in a year or 2.

Signing Melton and Allen would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Outlook wouldn't look so bad....CB and Safety and another D lineman in the first three rounds and the D could look a lot better!

All around agreed. If the Bears were able to resign Melton (assuming he's anywhere close to his former self) and get Allen would make me pretty happy. I've always liked Allen, and after a quick bit of reading about him I like him even more.

[Houston - Melton - ?? - Allen] is a pretty good front four.