Steve Smith

Alaskan Grizzly

I heard that too....It'd be scary but we need to fill at least one of DT, DE, CB, and perhaps S, before thinking about signing anything significant on offense.

Right now according to overthecap we have 13M left in cap space (don't have Mundy listed though). They should be able to fill 2 or 3 of those.

I heard that too....It'd be scary but we need to fill at least one of DT, DE, CB, and perhaps S, before thinking about signing anything significant on offense.

Right now according to overthecap we have 13M left in cap space (don't have Mundy listed though). They should be able to fill 2 or 3 of those.

^^^ This! If Emery keeps adding fire power to his beloved offense and not address the glaring defensive holes- he has failed as GM IMO.

We need defensive depth NOW! Especially with Peppers out of the picture! As if right now, our safeties are still pretty bad. Its too bad they did not look into Byrd.

Guest TerraTor
^^^ This! If Emery keeps adding fire power to his beloved offense and not address the glaring defensive holes- he has failed as GM IMO.

We need defensive depth NOW! Especially with Peppers out of the picture! As if right now, our safeties are still pretty bad. Its too bad they did not look into Byrd.

Depth would be a luxury. . We have 3 legit starters on the entire Defense

But what if the Bears can't sign any of those guys? What if all the legit DT/DE/CB guys left say, "Thanks, but no thanks" when offered a contract? It's an odd scenario, but I could see the Bears deciding to just upgrade the offense into an unstoppable force since the D can't be fixed. If you can't fix the hole in the boat, get a bigger bucket to bail water.

I see that as a possibility. I think then, we'd see all in in the draft on D. Pump up the O, and hope for the D.

That's, as you say, if all other wells dry up on D in FA.

We could be seeing a huge cap increase int he next few years...so spend away if we have room!

But what if the Bears can't sign any of those guys? What if all the legit DT/DE/CB guys left say, "Thanks, but no thanks" when offered a contract? It's an odd scenario, but I could see the Bears deciding to just upgrade the offense into an unstoppable force since the D can't be fixed. If you can't fix the hole in the boat, get a bigger bucket to bail water.

It certainly would be intriguing.Hell, I guess it's possible they add 1 guy at 5M for 2 guys at 2.5M and still have money to spludge on another weapon.

Thanks Jason. That was kinda the angle I was approaching it from.

I agree that the D may be damaged enough that even if they were able to bring in another significant FA it wouldn't be a of no help. To reflect how things have gotten the way they did as of recent; Emery has drafted McClellin, Frey, Hardin, Greene, Bostic, Washington. Re-signed DJ Williams (??) and so far released Urlacher and Peppers with Tillman soon behind. It appears the only thing helping Emery right now is Trestmans knack for offense. For him (Emery) to have any hope in fixing the D he needs to re-evaluate either his understanding of D or get a new coordinator that can point him in the right direction.

He didnt sign anyone,just speculation

Will probably be available soon. Was thinking this earlier this week and heard someone mention it on NFL AM; what if Chicago were to look at him as a slot receiver?

Several reasons why this wouldn't work:

1. You'd want your #3 receiver to offer something different than AJ and BM. Ideally we would want a straight speed guy who can stretch the field. Hopefully Marquis Wilson can become that guy. No way Steve Smith has much speed left.

2. Steve Smith has been the #1 guy since Mushin Muhammed signed with the Bears. Why would he come here to be the #3?

3. Cost. Don't forget that BM is a free agent after this year. Any extra WR money, we want to save for that. I'm guessing on the cheap end he'd be 3 million.

Damn good point about Marshall...

I wonder if there's a deal in store for him this year? I'd like to link him in with Jay.

1. You'd want your #3 receiver to offer something different than AJ and BM. Ideally we would want a straight speed guy who can stretch the field. Hopefully Marquis Wilson can become that guy. No way Steve Smith has much speed left.

2. Steve Smith has been the #1 guy since Mushin Muhammed signed with the Bears. Why would he come here to be the #3?

3. Cost. Don't forget that BM is a free agent after this year. Any extra WR money, we want to save for that. I'm guessing on the cheap end he'd be 3 million.

How much would the Bears save by cutting Bennett and could they just basically shift those savings directly to Smith?

To answer your first question...2.4 mill. Which would bring our cap availability # to around 15 mill. I'd guess Smith would cost ~7 or 8m of that.

It's possible, and they could still hypothetically dip into Cutlers contract to create more cap room for defensive FAs.

1) your slot receiver doesn't usually stretch the field. He is the crossing pattern over the middle (in Smiths wheelhouse) or the extra safety valve after the RB. Buuuuttt... What's to say Trestman couldn't design a wrinkle in the offense specifically for a player like Smith?

2) the #3 thing makes no sense to me. Does that mean he's the third guy looked at every time Cutler goes to throw or is he third important in the receiving corps ? Wes Welker hAs had a pretty good career as of late being " the #3" guy. Who knows, maybe Smith is ok with the idea of coming to a team like Chicago despite BM and AJ already being there? Anyone asked him yet?

3)would he do one of those $1 million contracts? Probably not. But what is he going to need? Don't know, as before noones asked. Hell the most of the "#1 WRs" available in the FA are still unsigned. That could theoretically effect the overall cost of all receivers, let alone a guy like Smith.

As far as Wilson, what's to say we dont put up a four receiver front in some formations? Wilson is young, could be a good way to slowly bring him up.

1) your slot receiver doesn't usually stretch the field. He is the crossing pattern over the middle (in Smiths wheelhouse) or the extra safety valve after the RB. Buuuuttt... What's to say Trestman couldn't design a wrinkle in the offense specifically for a player like Smith?

2) the #3 thing makes no sense to me. Does that mean he's the third guy looked at every time Cutler goes to throw or is he third important in the receiving corps ? Wes Welker hAs had a pretty good career as of late being " the #3" guy. Who knows, maybe Smith is ok with the idea of coming to a team like Chicago despite BM and AJ already being there? Anyone asked him yet?

3)would he do one of those $1 million contracts? Probably not. But what is he going to need? Don't know, as before noones asked. Hell the most of the "#1 WRs" available in the FA are still unsigned. That could theoretically effect the overall cost of all receivers, let alone a guy like Smith.

As far as Wilson, what's to say we dont put up a four receiver front in some formations? Wilson is young, could be a good way to slowly bring him up.

In response to your responses:

1) I shouldn't have said slot receiver but said #3 receiver. I always think of the #3 as the slot because that's what the Rams in their hey-day labeled Az-Hakim. With Tory Holt and Bruce Irving Az would go long. With the Bears, BM or AJ would play the slot and Wilson would line up outside to stretch the field.

2) Up until this year, aside from Randy Moss, Wes Welker was by far the best WR on the team. He may have given up balls to TE's and played out of the slot, but he was the man. Steve Smith seems to have an ego. BM moped last season when he had mediocre games. And AJ could be entering Mega-tron/Larry Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson territory as being an elite and legit true #1 WR. There just ain't enough balls to go around.

3) Even if he's cheap, it would be for one year and isn't a great fit.

Thanks Jason. That was kinda the angle I was approaching it from. I agree that the D may be damaged enough that even if they were able to bring in another significant FA it wouldn't be a of no help. To reflect how things have gotten the way they did as of recent; Emery has drafted McClellin, Frey, Hardin, Greene, Bostic, Washington. Re-signed DJ Williams (??) and so far released Urlacher and Peppers with Tillman soon behind. It appears the only thing helping Emery right now is Trestmans knack for offense. For him (Emery) to have any hope in fixing the D he needs to re-evaluate either his understanding of D or get a new coordinator that can point him in the right direction.

Alaskan Grizzly, I totally disagree with your bolded comment above. The current state of the "D" is not just on Emery. Sure, Phil drafted, Hardin who is out of the league and misevaluated the position and round to draft SMC. It is also true that Bostic, Greene and Washington were obviously not ready to contribute as rookie starters but way too early to call bad picks. Frey was competing all last offseason and played himself into the nickel role as a second yr pro.

Lovie and JA are the most too blame for the current state of the franchise. Just look at how many bad picks they made on offenses and defense over their tenure. Defense was supposed to be their strength for evaluating talent but how many safeties and DL did they strike out on and contiuned to have to draft theses same positions again every year while pretty much ignoring the rest of the team, specifically OL and offensive skill positions. Sure JA traded for Culter only to have him waste away behind an inferior line with no weapons meanwhile he continued to stock pile defensive players that were considered reaches or asked to play out of position they had experience with in college.

The "D" is really old and the past poor ability to draft for depth has really left the cupboards fairly barren for Emery and company. This is why Emery now has to try and tactically retool this teem now. Emery had two choice, 1. total rebuild or try and too identify a core to rebuild around. Most agree you can not win without an above average to elite QB and usually the preferred way to build a team is to begin in the trenches. I think Emery decided that Jay was still young and talented enough to build around and that is where he started, getting a better Oline and supporting cast including a legit coaching staff. Now, that the offense has been successfully rebuilt and stabilized Emery has already began the process of retooling the defense which will also take some time. although, I can certainly criticize some of the things Emery has done he still has my trust and he has made a lot of good moves since becoming GM. If we are lucky we could have a legit 1-2 year window for an chance to make a run at a SB inside the next 3-4 years.

In response to your responses:

1) I shouldn't have said slot receiver but said #3 receiver. I always think of the #3 as the slot because that's what the Rams in their hey-day labeled Az-Hakim. With Tory Holt and Bruce Irving Az would go long. With the Bears, BM or AJ would play the slot and Wilson would line up outside to stretch the field.

2) Up until this year, aside from Randy Moss, Wes Welker was by far the best WR on the team. He may have given up balls to TE's and played out of the slot, but he was the man. Steve Smith seems to have an ego. BM moped last season when he had mediocre games. And AJ could be entering Mega-tron/Larry Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson territory as being an elite and legit true #1 WR. There just ain't enough balls to go around.

3) Even if he's cheap, it would be for one year and isn't a great fit.

Fair enough. We shall see.

I won't agree with him not being a "good fit" but for what the team needs in defense they can't afford a "luxury " like Smith. But wouldn't it be cool?

P.S. I think you're spot on right about AJ being MegatroFitzJohnson like.

[/b]

Alaskan Grizzly, I totally disagree with your bolded comment above. The current state of the "D" is not just on Emery. Sure, Phil drafted, Hardin who is out of the league and misevaluated the position and round to draft SMC. It is also true that Bostic, Greene and Washington were obviously not ready to contribute as rookie starters but way too early to call bad picks. Frey was competing all last offseason and played himself into the nickel role as a second yr pro.

Lovie and JA are the most too blame for the current state of the franchise. Just look at how many bad picks they made on offenses and defense over their tenure. Defense was supposed to be their strength for evaluating talent but how many safeties and DL did they strike out on and contiuned to have to draft theses same positions again every year while pretty much ignoring the rest of the team, specifically OL and offensive skill positions. Sure JA traded for Culter only to have him waste away behind an inferior line with no weapons meanwhile he continued to stock pile defensive players that were considered reaches or asked to play out of position they had experience with in college.

The "D" is really old and the past poor ability to draft for depth has really left the cupboards fairly barren for Emery and company. This is why Emery now has to try and tactically retool this teem now. Emery had two choice, 1. total rebuild or try and too identify a core to rebuild around. Most agree you can not win without an above average to elite QB and usually the preferred way to build a team is to begin in the trenches. I think Emery decided that Jay was still young and talented enough to build around and that is where he started, getting a better Oline and supporting cast including a legit coaching staff. Now, that the offense has been successfully rebuilt and stabilized Emery has already began the process of retooling the defense which will also take some time. although, I can certainly criticize some of the things Emery has done he still has my trust and he has made a lot of good moves since becoming GM. If we are lucky we could have a legit 1-2 year window for an chance to make a run at a SB inside the next 3-4 years.

For the record I did indirectly address part of the problem of the D as being partial responsibility of Tucker. I'm not yet convinced that he's the answer.

How do you explain the ability of offensive rookies like Long, Mills, Wilson (to an extent) and Jeffery (year previous) all being able to contribute right away where one in how many defensive rookies is able to do anything? Either Emery is better at evaluating offensive talent or his coordinators are . I know it's convenient (or popular) to blame Lovie and his crew for all what ills the team but in his time as HC he did manage to achieve a winning record. So far Trestman has produced .500. I know there's still plenty to go so I hold judgement on him (Treatman). Emery is the man putting the pieces in play and so far he seems to be doing a crap job in putting the defense together.

For the record I did indirectly address part of the problem of the D as being partial responsibility of Tucker. I'm not yet convinced that he's the answer. How do you explain the ability of offensive rookies like Long, Mills, Wilson (to an extent) and Jeffery (year previous) all being able to contribute right away where one in how many defensive rookies is able to do anything? Either Emery is better at evaluating offensive talent or his coordinators are . I know it's convenient (or popular) to blame Lovie and his crew for all what ills the team but in his time as HC he did manage to achieve a winning record. So far Trestman has produced .500. I know there's still plenty to go so I hold judgement on him (Treatman). Emery is the man putting the pieces in play and so far he seems to be doing a crap job in putting the defense together.

Yes, it is hard to evaluate all these things as fans and we will never know what factors are most influential to the success or failure of our team.

Now some of the players you mentioned had to play out of a necessity and luckily they were able to contribute as rookies. The former coaches put a lot of unproven young players in positions to fail and often was detrimental to the team. Examples like believing Hester was a number one receiver or having an athletic but unpolished Webb, a 7th round rookie starting at RT / LT for 2 seasons until Trestman cut him. Actually, Urlacher was initially brought in to play outside LB after being a safety/LB rover hybrid player in college known as the LOBO. Url did pretty bad his first year at OLB, but they got it right and he was able to transition by his second and third years as a good to great MLB. Hopefully, we will say similar things about Bostic, Greene and SMC. Conte showed some nice skill his first year but his confidence was crushed last year as the DL was ineffective he could not handle the pressure. CC still may be salvageable with an improved DL and good coaching.

I am not sure Tucker should have returned either especially if many think it is often easier for rookie lineman and defense players to contribute earlier than a WR for example. Excuses aside the defense was absolutely hammered with injuries last year. With that said if the "D" does not improve this year especially with the new position coached Tucker will be gone.

Lovie was a very good coach for the Bears however it was time for a change. Lovie and JA's downfall was that they appeared to be unwilling to adapt to the changes in the NFL and were all in with their systems. After the SB loss and without good depth on either side of the ball their window eventually closed with this team. As far as Emery, I actually like almost all of his free agent signings including DJ Williams, Anderson, Ratliff, Slauson, Bushrod and the trading for B-Marshall. These guys are all capable starters when healthy. If anything, Emery has proven to be good at brining in solid free agents and has success early in his tenure at drafting offensive players and thus far we know his defensive draft picks have not provided much return yet. Although it still is too early to provide a final grade in Bostic, SMC, Greene, Washington etc. I think most liked that he was addressing the LB position last year in the draft. Trestman has also had some up and downs in his first year with regards to game management but I expect that to improve.