12th in preseason power rankings

jason

NYC - If I'm a dick, then you're a giant crybaby. You've been that way since you bitched and whined on the last board because I took something overtly political out of your post, while leaving the remaining post and intent intact. What makes it ironic is you've since exposed your political leanings in other posts, and I actually agree with you politically. This, however, is not a board about politics - or at least it shouldn't be - and those posts should always be edited or removed (even if the current mods aren't doing it). BTW - If you go back on the board, nobody here was talking $5M for Urlacher. Most were saying just give him a little more than the low-ball, initial offer. If I recall, the majority were saying $2.5-$3 at very most. That likely would have helped Urlacher save face, the team would have done the right thing for a HOFer, and the team would have almost certainly benefitted as a result. Last but not least, to even compare Urlacher to Webb is ridiculously ignorant on various levels, and doesn't deserve to be justified in the slightest.

scs - Because of PFF's support of Webb, who obviously sucked for anyone who actually watched him play football, their stats will continue to be severely flawed. Any PFF stats used to support or detract from an opinion are moderately interesting at best, throw-away at worst. Just watching film and compiling numbers doesn't guarantee a meaningful result. I give them kudos for trying, and doing what others haven't done, or would like to do, but their final product still requires significant upgrading.

Ashkum - You gotta be shittin' me with that "locker room cancer" stuff. Urlacher was loved by pretty much all teammates (I haven't heard of a guy going against him, but I don't read everything so it's possible?). And as far as I know, all the coaches he played for loved him while he was in Chicago. Maybe our definitions of locker room cancer are different. He wasn't the best with the fans, but he was loved by teammates and cocahes.

LT2 - Both your scenarios are possible, but Urlacher looked better at the end of his last year than at the beginning. This tends to support the "Urlacher is back and healthy" argument. I had not heard Peppers became a bad locker room guy. You're also right that it's POSSIBLE Urlacher would have caused waves, but that, just like his production last year, are unknowns. His production on the field in previous seasons and during his last season supports the concept that he would have made the team better last year, but there is no real support - that I know of - for him actually causing problems in the clubhouse amongst teammates or coaches.

Alaska - Apparently you are the only one capable of actually grasping the very realistic concept that Urlacher, while diminished, was still better than anyone on the team last year, and almost certainly would have made the defense better. How much is anyone's guess. Nothing is a 100% certainty - nobody saw it coming when an "in his prime Knox" basically get retired on a single, spine-bending hit - but Urlacher's legacy, history, production, and upward trend towards the end of his last year say he would have helped the team.

You are a well spoken guy but because of your Urlacher memory love, you comment" he would have been healthy, is as bad as my arugement that he was washed up. It didnt happen so we can say anything and none of it matters. The fact no one wanted him tends to favor my argument but will clearly say, we just dont know. I agree with all the stat stuff you stated, in the end players prove who there are and he sucks , screw any stats that say thats not true. As far as someone saying( he would have been a cancer in the locker room) that possibility would exist that he was pro Lovie and been a whiny little bitch all year.( that is all conjecture) just like me saying he would have been. And finally to think because of his Urlacher Love that Ala, is a good comrade for your support, look at most of his posts.(you can find someone better to buddy up with)Urlacher was my favorite player for a long time but I see him injured and slowed down, so saying he would be washed up is not a problem for me, but it seems to be for you.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest we all move on to a different topic (Url one more year)?

We can speculate until the end of time of what would have happened if Url was retained for one more year. Odss are the D would have been better given the extreme amount of deficiencies due to injury, etc. COuldn't get much worse, could it? But we're not really sure how much better as we don't know if age/injury etc would have crept in.

Bottom line, it didn't happen. Both sides of the fence can easily justify their position. But it is over. It didn't happen. Odds are, at best, we would have inched into the playoffs to ultimately get destroyed by Seattle or SF. It was their years, not ours. Because of the drop off, we are probably experieincing an expedited re-build that might not have taken place until a year later. Overall, this is the concept we all should be embracing. The epic fail on D was the catalyst to make big moves to improve and add depth. We still might have done so, but maybe with less impetus. My thought is we would not be in as good a position today if the situation didn't play out as it did.

I cherish our past, but I look forward to our future. What we have is more than acceptable to win a championship. It's up to players coaches and a bit of luck to make it happen.

Greanted, news is slim pickins these days. But soon, camp will be on and it'll be time to embrace our future and let the legends of our past be something to look back fondly at.

We are legitimate contenders. Let's seal the deal!

:dabears

I want to throw my 2 cents in that you are a troublemaker trying to make peace for people that like to argue. I always thought you were the nicest guy on this site, but one post(cant remember at the moment ) proved me wrong. Your just like all the rest of us. Have a good day.

I'm no more or no less a troublemaker than most everyone here. I am really not trying to make peace as I'm trying to just move forward. We all disagree at times, and sometimes it's casual and other times it gets personal. And sometimes, not matter how good or bad, it's just plain entertaining to see people bicker about. And I'm guilty of it as well at times. I just happen to be bored of the Urlacher extra year topic. So selfishly, I was merely trying to move things along to something else. And with that, I am my own worst enemy by adding to a discussion that in theory I should just leave well enough alone.

I don't really try to be nice, so I take zero offense. I don't consider myself to be better or worse than everyone here. We're all on equal footing. I just try to be fair and as respectful as possible. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one stellar citizen on here, and that's Pix. Ther rest of us all have our issues and moments!

I want to throw my 2 cents in that you are a troublemaker trying to make peace for people that like to argue. I always thought you were the nicest guy on this site, but one post(cant remember at the moment ) proved me wrong. Your just like all the rest of us. Have a good day.

I'm no more or no less a troublemaker than most everyone here. I am really not trying to make peace as I'm trying to just move forward. We all disagree at times, and sometimes it's casual and other times it gets personal. And sometimes, not matter how good or bad, it's just plain entertaining to see people bicker about. And I'm guilty of it as well at times. I just happen to be bored of the Urlacher extra year topic. So selfishly, I was merely trying to move things along to something else. And with that, I am my own worst enemy by adding to a discussion that in theory I should just leave well enough alone.

I don't really try to be nice, so I take zero offense. I don't consider myself to be better or worse than everyone here. We're all on equal footing. I just try to be fair and as respectful as possible. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one stellar citizen on here, and that's Pix. Ther rest of us all have our issues and moments!

I have an off the wall sense of humor, so I actually was just jacking with you. Your always,nice and its sicken.

NYC - If I'm a dick, then you're a giant crybaby. You've been that way since you bitched and whined on the last board because I took something overtly political out of your post, while leaving the remaining post and intent intact.

Yeah fu-ck you.

You DID edit a post of mine, you rewrote words and attributed them to me, as a power hungry admin.

Crybaby? Nah, Id just kick your ass if you did it to my face.

You're a contentious and arrogant little prick.

If admins dont like this language, lets start with the guy who initiated it.

Seriously, grow some fu-cking hair on your balls before you try to challenge me.

And IM a Crybaby LOL

Yeah fu-ck you.

You DID edit a post of mine, you rewrote words and attributed them to me, as a power hungry admin.

Seriously, grow some fu-cking hair on your balls before you try to challenge me.

And IM a Crybaby LOL

I guess that settles that eh?

Yeah fu-ck you.

And IM a Crybaby LOL

That's more like it! Spoken like what I expect a true New Yorker to sound. Your being cordial threw me for a bit. Kinda like when Cracker Barrel gets all mushy and stuff.

We sound like a bunch of angry old men...

LOL I generally dont get mad at people for expressing a contrary point of view!

My beef with Jason goes back a long way, and is based on a million examples Ive seen both to me and others.

The rest of you are unlikely to get me angry.

But yeah, Jason is a prick.

LOL I generally dont get mad at people for expressing a contrary point of view!

My beef with Jason goes back a long way, and is based on a million examples Ive seen both to me and others.

The rest of you are unlikely to get me angry.

But yeah, Jason is a prick.

I know Mr. BearFan NYC to be a top flight guy.....can't remember the last time he got mad TBH....

I know Mr. BearFan NYC to be a top flight guy.....can't remember the last time he got mad TBH....

Thanks.

I can't wait for training camp. I am SO excited for this season.

As far as I'm concerned, there's only one stellar citizen on here, and that's Pix. Ther rest of us all have our issues and moments!

I'll agree with you on Pix. Dude always seems pretty mellow and spot on in his analysis. We should all take whatever he's taking. LOL!

I'll agree with you on Pix. Dude always seems pretty mellow and spot on in his analysis. We should all take whatever he's taking. LOL!

Absolutely agree there, the top dog lives right by where I used to hang out......

We are all pretty much top flight, but Pix.....tops of the top in my view.

And Cracker, enjoy your stuff too! Crack on, as we say here in merry old England.....

Troll! ;)

But to answer the question...no. You keep the more consistent and younger talent, not the one year back-up wonder (see Scott Mitchell, etc...). Not to mention keeping Marshall happy... And we all like a happy Marshall!

:banghead Cutler being referred to as consistent?

Compared to the overall career of McCown? I guess barring the handful of games last season, McCown could be considered consistent. Consitently mediocre.

Cutler has had ups and downs, but his talent has never been in question. In fact, he only truly struggled when saddled with a less than mediocre OL and WR crew...

:banghead Cutler being referred to as consistent?

Compared to the overall career of McCown? I guess barring the handful of games last season, McCown could be considered consistent. Consitently mediocre.

Cutler has had ups and downs, but his talent has never been in question. In fact, he only truly struggled when saddled with a less than mediocre OL and WR crew...

Even in the few games Cutler performed in last year he still favored BM over most any other receiver. This despite AJ having a pretty remarkable year with a "mediocre" QB like McCown throwing to him. The line was solid and he had the same advantage that McCown did.

Now if he's able to put it alltogether and realize there are others besides Marshall able to catch maybe, just maybe his talent will show through. He's on an extended contract, going into year two with Trestman and a relatively solid oline. The excuses are few, the opportunity...plenty.

Jay Cutler's only consistency in his career, at this point, is that he is inconsistent. He has by far played at a higher level than McCown has over that time. Last year tho, McCown showed the leaps that can be made by playing within Trestman's system. He was the model of consistency last year. While Cutler reached his highest qb rating last year, I feel it was just Jay Cutler with better weapon's and line surrounding him.

Yes, Cutler hasn't gone to the next level yet. Everything is in place for him to do so.

McCown wasn't taking us to the promised land. Cutler might not. But, the odds of him doing it are better. And I believe he will. The run to the top starts this season. It may not hit the pinnacle this season, but it starts. The foundation will be laid.

I simply believe it.

:dabears

Jay Cutler's only consistency in his career, at this point, is that he is inconsistent. He has by far played at a higher level than McCown has over that time. Last year tho, McCown showed the leaps that can be made by playing within Trestman's system. He was the model of consistency last year. While Cutler reached his highest qb rating last year, I feel it was just Jay Cutler with better weapon's and line surrounding him.