Rumor - Trestman and Kromer connected to Bucs OC

Guest TerraTor

Yes as I've said before, I love me some Lovie.

All I can say is that when he was let go the team was 10-6. Since then??? Well.

I suspect the teams would have had a slightly better record overall the past two years with Lovie, but not by much. Mostly because he believes in such a conservative approach. It would have made the games grind down. Which would have gotten the Bears nearly nothing but about the 16th pick. Treading water as usual until something special happens. We have already seen in TB what happens when Lovie's amazing defensive coaching abilities don't have a HOFer at MLB - or DT / S for that matter - to use.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the teams would have had a slightly better record overall the past two years with Lovie, but not by much. Mostly because he believes in such a conservative approach. It would have made the games grind down. Which would have gotten the Bears nearly nothing but about the 16th pick. Treading water as usual until something special happens. We have already seen in TB what happens when Lovie's amazing defensive coaching abilities don't have a HOFer at MLB - or DT / S for that matter - to use.

100%

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

Suspect all you want. That isn't fact and doesn't get you a whole heck of a lot other than guess work. Sure TB had its problems last year, but to be fair it was Lovies first there. And now he's in line for Mariotta and possibly Trestman as his OC. Speculatively speaking, if I were a TB fan I'd be pretty excited.

Suspect all you want. That isn't fact and doesn't get you a whole heck of a lot other than guess work. Sure TB had its problems last year, but to be fair it was Lovies first there. And now he's in line for Mariotta and possibly Trestman as his OC. Speculatively speaking, if I were a TB fan I'd be pretty excited.

I would be too, especially if McCown has a swan song left in him. Lovie will definitely keep things in house and the locker room in check.

Kinda wish Rest man woulda went there because they might have stuck with McCown thus making it possible one of the top qbs would fall. I have found myself watching a lot of Winston highlights and man, on the field, kid is a baller. Those that don't like Jay because he's not a vocal leader would love Jameis.

It is fact, the Bucs have the first pick in the draft. Thats a fact that's not speculation. The downfall for Lovie is not his coaching ability but he has power over personal down there. After we were in the Super Bowl Lovie got power and stuck his voice in the draft and you can see how that went down hill. He brought in FAs like Archuleta, and the OLT, Pace, and they sucked. I think Lovie is a above average coach, but not the coach that will give you the Super Bowl every team should aspire too. His time here run its course. In the last 20 years we have only been in the playoffs 3 times,maybe you are satisfied with that but Im not. We will have to see what Pace and new coach will do, but at least that gives us hope, Lovies hope was being better than mediocre but couldnt take us to the promise land. One Super Bowl appearance in 9 years wasnt good enough.

It is fact, the Bucs have the first pick in the draft. Thats a fact that's not speculation. The downfall for Lovie is not his coaching ability but he has power over personal down there. After we were in the Super Bowl Lovie got power and stuck his voice in the draft and you can see how that went down hill. He brought in FAs like Archuleta, and the OLT, Pace, and they sucked. I think Lovie is a above average coach, but not the coach that will give you the Super Bowl every team should aspire too. His time here run its course. In the last 20 years we have only been in the playoffs 3 times,maybe you are satisfied with that but Im not. We will have to see what Pace and new coach will do, but at least that gives us hope, Lovies hope was being better than mediocre but couldnt take us to the promise land. One Super Bowl appearance in 9 years wasnt good enough.

Amen. Lovie is who he is. I wouldn't be shocked if he traded out of the first pick, and a stud QB, to get defensive players, a mid-Round QB, and late round offensive linemen. And even if he stayd still at 1, and drafts a QB, his system will neuter that guy because he is fond of running clock once he gets a TD lead.

And even if he stayd still at 1, and drafts a QB, his system will neuter that guy because he is fond of running clock once he gets a TD lead.

Maybe you didn't hear Pace when he said he wanted to get back to traditional Bear football with a strong defense and a strong running game? Sound familiar?

At any rate I think it cute the two of you agree. Fact is fact and Lovie had a winnig record while here. Since then the team has gone 13-19. This only two years removed from you Stinger saying how optimistic you were with Trestman/Emery. History seems to be repeating itself...at least for the moment.

Maybe you didn't hear Pace when he said he wanted to get back to traditional Bear football with a strong defense and a strong running game? Sound familiar?

At any rate I think it cute the two of you agree. Fact is fact and Lovie had a winnig record while here. Since then the team has gone 13-19. This only two years removed from you Stinger saying how optimistic you were with Trestman/Emery. History seems to be repeating itself...at least for the moment.

You talk about history and you keep bringing up Lovie who has been gone for two years now. I am optimistic about anything new until it proves different. You keep bringing up names like Lovie, McCown, Urlacher, you have no foresight, you just live in the past and aspire to mediocrity. I would expect nothing less from you.

Strong defense + running Lovie.

Strong defense (with a future HOFer AT LB) + ignoring OL + sitting on a TD lead = Lovie

Lovie got off of a sinking ship at the right time, and not by his choice. He would have made nearly no difference the past two years. Just look at TB to see what happens when he didn't have supreme talent on defense. Also, his "winning" record in Chicago is pretty damn close to .500, and boosted by a couple of meaningless end of season wins that ultimately hurt the team in the long run. Five winning seasons, three losing, and one even should have been worse if he were smart, and at the end of the day his overall record was .563. Stellar, that is.

Strong defense + running Lovie.

Strong defense (with a future HOFer AT LB) + ignoring OL + sitting on a TD lead = Lovie

Lovie got off of a sinking ship at the right time, and not by his choice. He would have made nearly no difference the past two years. Just look at TB to see what happens when he didn't have supreme talent on defense. Also, his "winning" record in Chicago is pretty damn close to .500, and boosted by a couple of meaningless end of season wins that ultimately hurt the team in the long run. Five winning seasons, three losing, and one even should have been worse if he were smart, and at the end of the day his overall record was .563. Stellar, that is.

Lovie was asked to leave, but we may have had a few more wins over those last two years, but went nowhere. The defense aged in front of us, and the slew of injuries cost of us some games. Like you said Lovie is who he is, not much above mediocre.

You talk about history and you keep bringing up Lovie who has been gone for two years now. I am optimistic about anything new until it proves different. You keep bringing up names like Lovie, McCown, Urlacher, you have no foresight, you just live in the past and aspire to mediocrity. I would expect nothing less from you.

I had plenty of foresight when it came to Cutler. Or don't you remember? I was one of the few here that originally saw fault with Cutler when Trestman was trying to implement his offense. Sure, like you and others here I believed Cutler could be the answer. But when finally they brought in a coach that had the "QB whisperer" pedigree and endorsements by HOF QBs who played for him and he (Cutler) still failed, I lost that awe. I fact I was one of the few (if not only) that asked for McCown to play in Cutlers stead to much ridcule (thanks Lucky Luciano). Yet when McCown came In to play he did pretty darn good.

Yes I hated the loss of Urlacher and part of that was what I deemed as Emery's egotism getting in the way. I didn't want much for Urlacher just for him to be able to lead the defense for one maybe two more years. Sure he might not have produced at the level we were accustomed but there's no doubt he could lead. The precipitous fall that followed was all but predictiable.

All I said was I wished we could have gotten more out of somethig that was proven rather than change course 'just because'. Losing Lovie after a 10-6 season seemed stupid to me and especially does after what we've witnessed these last two years. Losing Urlacher was similar especially since the defense crumbled as much as it did.

Trestman will prolly be a good OC somewhere, he will never be a good HC.

Isnt his trend to be good the first year and suck the 2nd year.......

Maybe. After how bad our offense was last year, I'm SHOCKED that Trestman is receiving so much interest as an OC. With all of our talent on that side of the ball, we finish 21st in yards and 23rd in points scored.

I think that's telling of how desperate teams are to find competent offensive coordinators. It also makes me think we'd be better off hiring a head coach with an offensive back-ground.

I had plenty of foresight when it came to Cutler. Or don't you remember? I was one of the few here that originally saw fault with Cutler when Trestman was trying to implement his offense. Sure, like you and others here I believed Cutler could be the answer. But when finally they brought in a coach that had the "QB whisperer" pedigree and endorsements by HOF QBs who played for him and he (Cutler) still failed, I lost that awe. I fact I was one of the few (if not only) that asked for McCown to play in Cutlers stead to much ridcule (thanks Lucky Luciano). Yet when McCown came In to play he did pretty darn good.

Yes I hated the loss of Urlacher and part of that was what I deemed as Emery's egotism getting in the way. I didn't want much for Urlacher just for him to be able to lead the defense for one maybe two more years. Sure he might not have produced at the level we were accustomed but there's no doubt he could lead. The precipitous fall that followed was all but predictiable.

All I said was I wished we could have gotten more out of somethig that was proven rather than change course 'just because'. Losing Lovie after a 10-6 season seemed stupid to me and especially does after what we've witnessed these last two years. Losing Urlacher was similar especially since the defense crumbled as much as it did.

I will give you kudos with Cutler, you didnt like him from the beginning and were right about him. Lovie needed to go, the problem was they hired the wrong guys to turn it over too. I will support the new regime with optimism because Im a Bear fan., If they screw it up will be bad mouthing them in two years.

What was Lovie's record without Urlacher? I'll save you the work. Purely from the game logs where Urlacher got a DNP, Lovie was 2-10 without a HOFer at MLB.

He was 71-55 (56.3%) with Urlacher and 2-10 (16.6%) without Urlacher.

It's quite probable that Lovie would have done the same, or worse, without Urlacher the past two years. Given his disdain for high scoring teams (i.e. pretty much the only way the Bears won last year), it's statistically probable - given that the average score on wins last year was 32PPG, something Lovie never did - that Lovie would have lost more games than Trestman.

What was Lovie's record without Urlacher? I'll save you the work. Purely from the game logs where Urlacher got a DNP, Lovie was 2-10 without a HOFer at MLB.

He was 71-55 (56.3%) with Urlacher and 2-10 (16.6%) without Urlacher.

It's quite probable that Lovie would have done the same, or worse, without Urlacher the past two years. Given his disdain for high scoring teams (i.e. pretty much the only way the Bears won last year), it's statistically probable - given that the average score on wins last year was 32PPG, something Lovie never did - that Lovie would have lost more games than Trestman.

I suppose then that it's "quite probable" then that Bill Belichek would have had just as much success (or not) as he did in Cleveland had it not been for Tom Brady. Nor getting ready for his fourth consecutive AFC Championship? As in your hypothesis... One will never know.

PS: what was your source for the stats you came up with?

I suppose then that it's "quite probable" then that Bill Belichek would have had just as much success (or not) as he did in Cleveland had it not been for Tom Brady. Nor getting ready for his fourth consecutive AFC Championship? As in your hypothesis... One will never know.

Yeah, except for the most part, everyone considers Belichek one of the best coaches in the NFL, an innovative thinker, a master rule-bender, a great motivator, and a guarantee for the HOF when he decides to retire. Lovie? Not so much. The point you were trying to make, which is valid to some degree, would work better if you weren't comparing Lovie to one of the best of the past 10-15 years.

The source was http://www.pro-football-reference.com/. I went to the years where Urlacher didn't have 16 games played, looked at the dates of the games he didn't play, then looked at the W/L record for those games.

What was Bill's record the year Tom go hurt?????