I want Rex Ryan

NAMEDSONPAYTON2

Ya, I really think he makes the most sense for this team. His downfall was really that of Lovie smiths in that he never had a good enough offense to be considered an elite coach. With what we have in place here on offense if he can come in and turn around the D we could have a pretty quick turnaround.

Call me crazy but I like the thought of Stanford's Shaw or Sumlin from A&M because of what needs to happen to this team. They need to take the young players and build around them and I like the tought of both those coaches coming to the NFL especially after Harbaugh,Carroll and Kelly make that move recently with some success.With the current talent on the DL I like the thought of Mike Smith as a DC because of how his defenses played in Jax before he got the HC job in ATL. He had to beasts for DTs I remember one being Marcus Stroud.

Call me crazy but I like the thought of Stanford's Shaw or Sumlin from A&M because of what needs to happen to this team. They need to take the young players and build around them and I like the tought of both those coaches coming to the NFL especially after Harbaugh,Carroll and Kelly make that move recently with some success.With the current talent on the DL I like the thought of Mike Smith as a DC because of how his defenses played in Jax before he got the HC job in ATL. He had to beasts for DTs I remember one being Marcus Stroud.

I'm a Sumlin fan. Part of me would like Rex, just for entertainment value.

I dont want a repeat of new,I want someone who has been an NFL head coach. Ryan falls in that category, Shanahan, Del Rio, also. Del Rio is my favorite to bring in.

I thought about Del Rio until I remembered that he worked with Mel Tucker in Jacksonville. If he kept Mel as DC, I would go nuts.

OUCH, good point, if Del Rio came in he would probably keep Tucker as DC, no way in Hell do I want that to happen.

I thought about Del Rio until I remembered that he worked with Mel Tucker in Jacksonville. If he kept Mel as DC, I would go nuts.

During Del Rios successful years, Mike Smith was his coordinator, who was hired to coach Atlanta. He then hired Gregg Williams to coach his defense, as his recorded started to fail, Williams became the scape goat, Del Rio fired him, and thats when he hired Tucker, they were together for going into his 3rd year when Del Rio got the ax. He had only 4 years experience as an NFL coach when he was hired. I would say during his successful years he is more in line to hire Mike Smith as his defensive coach or Greg Williams instead of Tucker who was there when things fell apart.

Hearing Ballard secretly got the job. .. per twitter sources for what it worth

Yeah, that rumor is picking up steam. Would make sense and I prefer him over some of the other candidates. Bowles now available with Cards out of playoffs. However, with Ballard's relationship and knowledge of Toub, that connection makes sense.

Lots of chatter going around that Chris Ballard is going to end up as the GM and Toub will be the HC..

ballard: i admit i know absolutely nothing about the candidates for GM other that the top choice from what little i read would be polian as president at least for a year to get us on the right track and GM if he wanted it.

what does concern me with ballard is his tenure and ties with chicago in the past and that this somehow is one of the reasons they would choose him as our GM. in other words ballard was involved with this organization during angelo AND emery's time in chicago. in fact almost all of his experience, 12 years in chicago until 2013, was tutoring under these two men. he has only been in one other organization, the chiefs for 2 years, in this century. if that is not scary i don't know what is.

his hire would smack to me of being the same decisions that have been made in the past 50-60 years by ownership. not saying i'm right but it DOES throw up serious red flags in this choice.

toub: if we hired ballard and toub we will be nearly in the same boat when we hired emery and trestman. toub, though a defensive minded coach, not only has never been a HC but he has never even been a DC or OC in college OR the pro's. can it work? sure, but in my opinion if this happened it would be a VERY high risk option in a franchise that needs stability and direction from someone proven to be able to do the job.

ballard: i admit i know absolutely nothing about the candidates for GM other that the top choice from what little i read would be polian as president at least for a year to get us on the right track and GM if he wanted it.

what does concern me with ballard is his tenure and ties with chicago in the past and that this somehow is one of the reasons they would choose him as our GM. in other words ballard was involved with this organization during angelo AND emery's time in chicago. in fact almost all of his experience, 12 years in chicago until 2013, was tutoring under these two men. he has only been in one other organization, the chiefs for 2 years, in this century. if that is not scary i don't know what is.

his hire would smack to me of being the same decisions that have been made in the past 50-60 years by ownership. not saying i'm right but it DOES throw up serious red flags in this choice.

toub: if we hired ballard and toub we will be nearly in the same boat when we hired emery and trestman. toub, though a defensive minded coach, not only has never been a HC but he has never even been a DC or OC in college OR the pro's. can it work? sure, but in my opinion if this happened it would be a VERY high risk option in a franchise that needs stability and direction from someone proven to be able to do the job.

I agree with you, we need to severe tying to the Bear connections. For the most part the Bears have not been good, so what keep the same connections going. Some that will put resistance up when doing business as usual , business has been bad.

I would not mind Ballard, and I don't think you can exclude someone just because they worked for the organization previously. I know there will be comparisons to Emery, but Ballard is currently a Director of Player Personnel for KC, a position Emery never held. Emery's ceiling was probably Director of Scouting. Additionally, Ballard has been a coach and coordinator (in college), another thing Emery never experienced. Ballard seems to be much more well-rounded, coaching on both sides of the ball, spending time as a DC, then Scout, Director of Pro Scouting, and then as the Director of Player Personnel. Emery spent 17 years as a Strength and Conditioning Coach.

However, if there is a better candidate elsewhere, go with the best one, regardless of ties or affiliations.

I would not mind Ballard, and I don't think you can exclude someone just because they worked for the organization previously. I know there will be comparisons to Emery, but Ballard is currently a Director of Player Personnel for KC, a position Emery never held. Emery's ceiling was probably Director of Scouting. Additionally, Ballard has been a coach and coordinator (in college), another thing Emery never experienced. Ballard seems to be much more well-rounded, coaching on both sides of the ball, spending time as a DC, then Scout, Director of Pro Scouting, and then as the Director of Player Personnel. Emery spent 17 years as a Strength and Conditioning Coach.

However, if there is a better candidate elsewhere, go with the best one, regardless of ties or affiliations.

again, i am not saying he is or is not a good candidate.

what i AM saying is his body of work is nearly exclusive to chicago's TWO failed systems. the similarities are very close to what we have hired before. in other words it is another inexperienced gamble our franchise seems to want to take for either lack of intelligence, even with accorsi's endorsement, or because of the cost to hire the best at what they do.

in a nutshell, i would rather offer a LOT more money to bring in polian because he has DONE it before. the same goes with holmgren. either of those guys i give a shot before we move on an unknown with the possibility of gambling on yet another HC with no coaching experience in the NFL in their resume. we need that stability right now with someone who has experience.

NOTE: jerry angelo was ALSO "Director of Player Personnel" in tampa for 3 years before coming to chicago. also was a player in semi pro or world league football, was a position coach for a number of years before going into scouting and then his job in tampa.

a very similar resume for ballard.

It's really hard to grasp what goes into being a good gm candidate. All I know is everywhere you look Ballard is talked about as a hot topic. Had I not seen all that buzz then I too would question the signing.

Polian appears to be a pipedream, he told the bills owner that he was staying with ESPN for 2015 and beyond.

again, i am not saying he is or is not a good candidate.

what i AM saying is his body of work is nearly exclusive to chicago's TWO failed systems. the similarities are very close to what we have hired before. in other words it is another inexperienced gamble our franchise seems to want to take for either lack of intelligence, even with accorsi's endorsement, or because of the cost to hire the best at what they do.

in a nutshell, i would rather offer a LOT more money to bring in polian because he has DONE it before. the same goes with holmgren. either of those guys i give a shot before we move on an unknown with the possibility of gambling on yet another HC with no coaching experience in the NFL in their resume. we need that stability right now with someone who has experience.

NOTE: jerry angelo was ALSO "Director of Player Personnel" in tampa for 3 years before coming to chicago. also was a player in semi pro or world league football, was a position coach for a number of years before going into scouting and then his job in tampa.

a very similar resume for ballard.

Absolutely Polian would be first choice, but he has to be willing. It seems that he has turned down all offers and is content where he is at. Holmgren has been out of football since 2012 and didn't really do anything that spectacular other than when he was a HC. He was actually relieved of his GM duties in Seattle 3 years before they got to the SB. He also didn't do that well in Cleveland.

As bad as it got under Angelo, we did go to a Super Bowl (and should've won). We just needed to cut sling a few years earlier than we did.

These are all different guys, you actually have no idea how they will perform until they are actually in the position. All you can do is look at their character traits and past performance as indicators. From what I have read about Ballard, he is more qualified than Emery was at the time of his hiring.