Rumor: John Fox To Coach Bears

DABEARSDABOMB

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We couldn't figure out how to beat a zone defense. The idea of bringing Trestman back is laughable. Everyone in the league knew what plays we were running. What Trestman did worked 10+ years ago but doesn't work today. I'm not saying the overall system didn't work but the way we ran it and the predicability of the play calling was a complete and utter disaster (let alone the leadership qualities). If I was another team, I wouldn't mind hiring as an OC because I think their are a lot worse OC's out there but I wouldn't bring him back in a million years. Not to mention the fact that outside of a couple people, I don't think many people respect Trest so him doing anything in here would stupid for him to ever consider because he'd already be at a disadvantage.

Honestly, I think the problem was someone I won't name and not the zone defenses. It worked all of the year before, and I'm sure they faced zone defenses quite often that year.

Honestly, I think the problem was someone I won't name and not the zone defenses. It worked all of the year before, and I'm sure they faced zone defenses quite often that year.

Damn, throwing SMC under the bus for the offense. He was that bad that he affected the offense.

It worked the year before with the person who had the "same name" that won't be mentioned. I think it had a lot more to do with the league getting film on our offense and us not being able to make the necessary adjustments. When you listen to experts talk about the amount of study and time spent watching film (especially in this new era with tech feeds and the additional angles and everything that is available) and they talk about how much smarter opposing teams defenses are today vs. years past (and vice versa with offenses being smarter too). I think it is more that when Trestman was last calling plays in the league, you didn't have near as much film study (coaches did it, but not near as much where you have players doing it, etc...it used to be coaches and the QB who watched film...now a hell of a lot of players are in the film room all the time and watching film from their couch on the ipad where they can view multiple angles, etc.

Actually and kinda touching on what TD said, I truly think that Cutler is THAT bad at discerning defenses and cannot properly do progressions. The fact that 1) McCown and to some degree Clausen could effectively run it and 2) other teams are considering Trestman as OC; causes to me to believe that his offense is still viable.

Now that I've posed the question, I still think going to more a zone blocking offense (ala Shannahan - Mike or Kyle) is the preferred route. Especially if Cutler stays on.

Actually and kinda touching on what TD said, I truly think that Cutler is THAT bad at discerning defenses and cannot properly do progressions. The fact that 1) McCown and to some degree Clausen could effectively run it and 2) other teams are considering Trestman as OC; causes to me to believe that his offense is still viable.

Now that I've posed the question, I still think going to more a zone blocking offense (ala Shannahan - Mike or Kyle) is the preferred route. Especially if Cutler stays on.

Look I don't disagree that Culter wasn't a horrific fit for Trestman's offense (Quick reads, short passes, etc is not what you would call Jay's skillset) but lets not act as if he didn't have success last year either (in fact last year Jay looked a lot better than Claussen). Claussen wasn't going to start and McCown's numbers would have been a lot more pedestrian if Alshon doesn't make a ton of circus catches anyway. It also doesn't excuse the fact that everyone knew what plays were coming. That has nothing to do with Jay and literally puts you behind the 8 ball to start (no matter who the heck your QB is).

Fox + Gase or Shanahan would arguably be the best combination of HC/OC that we have had in a long time. Here is a look back at the last 15 years of HC/OC and Offensive rankings (in other words futility):

YR - HC/OC - Pts/Yds

14 Trestman/Kromer - 23/21*

13 Trestman/Kromer - 2/8

12 Smith/Tice - 16/28*

11 Smith/Martz - 17/24*

10 Smith/Martz - 21/30

09 Smith/Turner - 19/23*

08 Smith/Turner - 14/26

07 Smith/Turner - 18/27

06 Smith/Turner - 2/15

05 Smith/Turner - 26/29

04 Smith/Shea - 32/32*

03 Jauron/Shoop - 23/28*

02 Jauron/Shoop - 27/29

01 Jauron/Shoop - 11/26

00 Jauron/Crowton - 28/23*

AVERAGE: 18.6 Pts/24.6 Yards

* - OC changed during/after season

So basically we have averaged 19th in scoring offense and 25th in yardage over the past 15 years. If you removed what seems to be the two anomaly years, we would drop to 22nd/26th. Just for comparison, our defense was ranked 14.5 in pts and 17th in yards over that same period, and without the last two years we were 12th in pts and 15th in yards. That was actually really surprising to see us that low on defense, but we really only had 4 top 10 defensive years under Lovie.

It worked the year before with the person who had the "same name" that won't be mentioned. I think it had a lot more to do with the league getting film on our offense and us not being able to make the necessary adjustments. When you listen to experts talk about the amount of study and time spent watching film (especially in this new era with tech feeds and the additional angles and everything that is available) and they talk about how much smarter opposing teams defenses are today vs. years past (and vice versa with offenses being smarter too). I think it is more that when Trestman was last calling plays in the league, you didn't have near as much film study (coaches did it, but not near as much where you have players doing it, etc...it used to be coaches and the QB who watched film...now a hell of a lot of players are in the film room all the time and watching film from their couch on the ipad where they can view multiple angles, etc.

of what I am talking about. I saw the video on another forum a while back, and I thought it was a pretty good breakdown. It shows why the play calling from Trestman really doesn't matter. The play you call may not be what you get.

Look I don't disagree that Culter wasn't a horrific fit for Trestman's offense (Quick reads, short passes, etc is not what you would call Jay's skillset) but lets not act as if he didn't have success last year either (in fact last year Jay looked a lot better than Claussen). Claussen wasn't going to start and McCown's numbers would have been a lot more pedestrian if Alshon doesn't make a ton of circus catches anyway. It also doesn't excuse the fact that everyone knew what plays were coming. That has nothing to do with Jay and literally puts you behind the 8 ball to start (no matter who the heck your QB is).

Annnnywayyy.... sorry to have led us down a rabbit hole. I'm interested now why they haven't announced a hiring yet(?) I kinda would like to get this chapter closed and move on to watching Bulls games.

of what I am talking about. I saw the video on another forum a while back, and I thought it was a pretty good breakdown. It shows why the play calling from Trestman really doesn't matter. The play you call may not be what you get.

First off, Dilfer is one of the worst QB's of all time, and it is hard for me to listen to him analyze QB play when he doesn't even know how to play the position. Looking at the video, I didn't see those plays as blatant Cutler failures:

1st play - Cutler goes thru progressions/throwing lanes and throws to safest receiver (Forte) based on what the defense was giving him. I didn't see much wrong with that play.

2nd play - Forte completely misses block and defender is in Jay's face before the yellow x-ray vision beam comes out of his eyes. He would literally have to have thrown it dropping back on his 2nd step to get it to the receiver who was not looking for the ball, and the WR highlighted did not break route off anyway.

3rd play - Looks like he was trying to pump fake and held the ball too long, not much blocking when Peppers gets all the way over to that side almost untouched (just watch Peppers on the entire play). On this one, he needed to just throw the ball and not hesitate, but that is assuming we know what the route was.

4th Play - LB is biting on Bennett's route right in Cutler's view, MLB is stuck between routes (good thing), Cutler then goes to his next receiver and a DB comes up to make the tackle. I didn't think that was a big deal or a blatant failure either.

Cutler was part of the problem on offense, but the O-Line was not very good, and the game plan seemed very predictable. I believe the biggest change was with the ability for Cutler to audible at the line in or out of a running play. This seemed to cause most of the problems, especially with consistency and pre-snap penalties. We also never really stretched the field as Marshall/Jeffery are basically the same speed, and Bennett is only 2 tenths slower.

John Fox's interview has reportedly ended and he has left halas hall (per Jeff Dickerson). Hopefully Fox is getting dressed before they grab dinner and celebrate!

btw, if you are 2/2 with this hire, you need to start your own tweeter feed.

and my last comparison for the night:

Fox Overall

13 seasons

7 playoff appearances (54%)

2 Super Bowl appearances (15%)

6 seasons with 11 or more wins (46%)

1 season with 5 or less wins (2-14 last year in Carolina) (8%)

Bears

13 seasons (2002-2014)

3 playoff appearances (23%)

1 Super Bowl appearance (7%)

3 seasons with 11 or more wins (23%)

3 seasons with 5 or less wins (23%)

Fox (w/o Manning)

10 seasons

4 playoff appearances (40%)

1 Super Bowl appearances (10%)

3 seasons with 11 or more wins (30%)

1 season with 5 or less wins (2-14 last year in Carolina) (10%)

Lovie w/ Bears

9 seasons

3 playoffs (33%)

1 Super Bowl (11%)

3 seasons with 11 or more wins (33%)

1 season with 5 or less wins (11%)

Lovie Overall

10 seasons

3 playoffs (30%)

1 Super Bowl (10%)

3 seasons with 11 or more wins (30%)

2 season with 5 or less wins (20%)

Fox is going to be, at worst, slightly better than Lovie, and will definitely bring in better Coordinators than we have had in quite some time. What is remarkable to me is a Fox team has only finished below 7-9 once (2-14 in 2010).

I have had limited time to visit & post, I slip in and out to read as much as I can.

I appreciate being able to come to my "Bears Home" and catch up on the news.

I do need to ask a question, as I missed some postings, obviously, and do not have time to search for the answer.

It seems to be that someone must have posted something indicating K Shanny would be Fox's choice of OC

Why is this a foregone conclusion? Does Fox have major ties with him from the past?

Just curious.

I have had limited time to visit & post, I slip in and out to read as much as I can.

I do need to ask a question, as I missed some postings, obviously, and do not have time to search for the answer.

It seems to be that someone must have posted something indicating K Shanny would be Fox's choice of OC

Why is this a foregone conclusion? Does Fox have major ties with him from the past?

Just curious.

This from Stinger earlier: "Ive also heard reports that Fox is already calling his OC and DC and will likely be Kyle Shanahan and Dennis Allen. for what its worth."

I think there is speculation that he would bring in a young offensive mind like K. Shanny to offset his defensive tendancies. K. Shanny is known to use the zone blocking offense which is more in Cutler's wheelhouse and uses the run more often. Something that Fox is more in tune with.

Buttt...then Oakland didn't hire Gage (or whatever his last name is) and there is a thought that should Fox be hired in Chicago he may try to bring him in instead. I suspect, if it true, Fox is trying to sweeten the deal with suggesting an heir to him should he leave after five super bowl runs (or however long his contract would be good for).

Just curious.

Schefter and a few others reported that he was reportedly going to tell the Bears he intended to have K Shanahan as his OC (also their was a trip article by someone indicating something similar). I don't know any previous connection to Kyle so presume it is more related to Fox doing his own homework on Kyle. That said, John Clayton later reported (when Gase didn't get the Niners job) that Gase could potentially become the OC in Chicago.

I have speculated that Maronne (who has now interviewed for an OC job in Jacksonville) could be another option as well.