Rumor: John Fox To Coach Bears

DABEARSDABOMB

This is purely a rumor at this point, but thought it deserved its own thread since this comes from the same person who reported the Pace to be the GM (and that person scooped everyone). The individual went on to indicate that Pasqualoni might be the only assistant who returns (and that he will be interviewing with Fox tomorrow for his job).

I guess we will wait to find out if it is in-fact true but thought I'd share. If it is true, fantastic. I think with Fox the organization knows it has a coach that can win, hire good assistants (on both sides of the ball) and develop talent. Now that Pace has found the coach (hopefully it is in fact Fox), he can move on to the next order of business, which is providing Fox with the right talent.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is purely a rumor at this point, but thought it deserved its own thread since this comes from the same person who reported the Pace to be the GM (and that person scooped everyone). The individual went on to indicate that Pasqualoni might be the only assistant who returns (and that he will be interviewing with Fox tomorrow for his job).

I guess we will wait to find out if it is in-fact true but thought I'd share. If it is true, fantastic. I think with Fox the organization knows it has a coach that can win, hire good assistants (on both sides of the ball) and develop talent. Now that Pace has found the coach (hopefully it is in fact Fox), he can move on to the next order of business, which is providing Fox with the right talent.

I read that on another board that I don't post on. A user there linked this https://storify.com/LemonDrops/bears-gm-now-it-s-pace

The guy is full of crap, but I have no doubt the Bears do sign him.

I don't think the two people are necessarily the same people. However, say what you want, but no one had Pace as a real candidate, let alone the guy, except him. That leads me to believe he has a good source. Does that mean he is right, who knows. Supposedly the Bears had already had some preliminary money talks with Fox already, so presume everyone is on the same wavelength and this is more of a meeting of the minds to make sure everyone is on the same page and that we can work with each other, as well as time to talk shop and what Fox's scouting reports were on the Bears (from afar), etc.

I love the fact that Fox is a no-nonsense kind of guy too.

I don't think the two people are necessarily the same people. However, say what you want, but no one had Pace as a real candidate, let alone the guy, except him. That leads me to believe he has a good source. Does that mean he is right, who knows. Supposedly the Bears had already had some preliminary money talks with Fox already, so presume everyone is on the same wavelength and this is more of a meeting of the minds to make sure everyone is on the same page and that we can work with each other, as well as time to talk shop and what Fox's scouting reports were on the Bears (from afar), etc.

Ive also heard reports that Fox is already calling his OC and DC and will likely be Kyle Shanahan and Dennis Allen. for what its worth

Supposedly they are currently talking to him now as he allegedly arrived in town in the Noon hour CST. John Clayton is currently on AM 1000 WMVP(ESPN) talking about how something might happen today.

Ive also heard reports that Fox is already calling his OC and DC and will likely be Kyle Shanahan and Dennis Allen. for what its worth

Yep, both would be good hires, imo. Only concerns I have with Kyle is whether he has matured. He was known to be a real primadonna with the RedSkins. Supposedly he is brilliant though but tended to be a make a mountain out of a molehill kind of guy. The key is has he matured by spending a year away from his dad or not. If he hasn't, I'm going to presume Fox will set him in his place real fast. Fox doesn't take shit from no one.

With all the talk of Shanny, the Niners just surprised everyone and hired someone not named Gase to be their next HC. Falcons supposedly focused on Quinn and Broncos looking at Kubiak. That would leave Gase without a job. I presume Fox figured Gase was going to get the job in San Fran, so does he now go with Gase (instead of Shanny)? I guess it comes down to where Gase fell in terms of the split in Denver.

With all the talk of Shanny, the Niners just surprised everyone and hired someone not named Gase to be their next HC. Falcons supposedly focused on Quinn and Broncos looking at Kubiak. That would leave Gase without a job. I presume Fox figured Gase was going to get the job in San Fran, so does he now go with Gase (instead of Shanny)? I guess it comes down to where Gase fell in terms of the split in Denver.

He might bring him in, the good thing with Fox is he will have good coordinators with him who ever he hires.

I would like this hire. If I were to list this seasons off season HC possibilities this would have been my order

1. Harbaugh

2. Fox and Kubiak

3. Bowles

3. Quinn

4. Rex Ryan

5. Del Rio

6. Austin

7. Gase

Harbaugh was not really an option but he was out there. So if they were to hire Fox it would be my second choice. It would be a good hire for one fact alone, this team needs Veteran Leadership, why not start with the HC!!!!

I also think he would be able to bring in a stronger staff of assistants compared to the new HC's.

I would rather have Gase than Shanahan, and I'm not high on Gase. He is an unknown.

The more I read on Shanahan, the more I don't want him around the team. Not only is he a bad OC, but he apparently has character issues.

I think he is a really good OC but the character issues are definitely a concern and its why I'd prefer Gase. Manning raves about him, which says a lot and he's an extremely bright mind. I also trust Fox's judgement at hiring guys and if he ends up missing, I am sure he will be quick to correct things and be able to identify the right people. Dude has connections galore and has a reputation of picking the right assistants and getting his assistants HC jobs which will only help you be able to attract top assistants.

I really freakin hope Gase doesn't come with Fox. I want Shanahan.

Given the clowns we've had involved in our offenses the past decade, it is hard to argue against one of the top young offensive minds in the league. Either would be an upgrade, however, one doesn't come with a history of being volatile and difficult to work with. I am okay with either but would prefer Gase.

I would like this hire. If I were to list this seasons off season HC possibilities this would have been my order

1. Harbaugh

2. Fox and Kubiak

3. Bowles

3. Quinn

4. Rex Ryan

5. Del Rio

6. Austin

7. Gase

Harbaugh was not really an option but he was out there. So if they were to hire Fox it would be my second choice. It would be a good hire for one fact alone, this team needs Veteran Leadership, why not start with the HC!!!!

I also think he would be able to bring in a stronger staff of assistants compared to the new HC's.

Here would have been my list if I knew as much now as I did at the beginning.

1. Austin - Gut feeling

2. Fox - Has a lot of what this team needs, but not special

3. Harbaugh - The way things ended in San Fran dropped him on my list

4. Ryan - I just like the guy, may have been a bad hire

5. Del Rio - Same reason as Fox

6. McDaniels - They guy is an offensive genius, may have been humbled by the first sting

7. Bowles - Bumped up the Cardinals D from middle of the pack to the top fourth in the league

I really had no interest in Quinn, Kubiak, or Gase.

Really you want the OC who was a disaster at Nebraska, is notoriously difficult to work with, runs a similar system (and who replaced Trestman in Oakland), and the guy who when we had playcalling duties removed this year in Dallas (only to see the Cowboys focus on the running game with Linehan calling plays and that was a large reason for why Dallas actually won this year). To be frank, that sounds like a horrendous hire as an OC.

Really you want the OC who was a disaster at Nebraska, is notoriously difficult to work with, runs a similar system (and who replaced Trestman in Oakland), and the guy who when we had playcalling duties removed this year in Dallas (only to see the Cowboys focus on the running game with Linehan calling plays and that was a large reason for why Dallas actually won this year). To be frank, that sounds like a horrendous hire as an OC.

Lol, to be fair, I just read the first line. I didn't realize he lost play calling duties. I do love the style of offense that Trestman and Callahan ran in Oakland. The only reason I wanted Trestman gone this year was the locker room was a mess. He wasn't the right guy to be a head coach here.

I do love the style of offense that Trestman and Callahan ran in Oakland. The only reason I wanted Trestman gone this year was the locker room was a mess. He wasn't the right guy to be a head coach here.

So, because I generally ask off the wall questions and LOVE the response they elicit especially from Stinger and Lucky Luciano; would it be inhumane to ask Trestman to come back as OC? I mean he's already getting a salary and the structure for his offense is there. If the right QB (Cutler) isn't getting it done then cut bait and use Clausen until either a draft selectee comes along or available FA or legit camp cut from another team. Just a thought....

:bringit

So, because I generally ask off the wall questions and LOVE the response they elicit especially from Stinger and Lucky Luciano; would it be inhumane to ask Trestman to come back as OC? I mean he's already getting a salary and the structure for his offense is there. If the right QB (Cutler) isn't getting it done then cut bait and use Clausen until either a draft selectee comes along or available FA or legit camp cut from another team. Just a thought....

Not gonna happen, but I'd be open with it if the OL improved and we can start to see the playbook open back up.

Due to the fact that he was fired for "lack of leadership" and "losing the locker room" in addition to the subpar performance, I would say getting struck by lightning would be more probable.

We couldn't figure out how to beat a zone defense. The idea of bringing Trestman back is laughable. Everyone in the league knew what plays we were running. What Trestman did worked 10+ years ago but doesn't work today. I'm not saying the overall system didn't work but the way we ran it and the predicability of the play calling was a complete and utter disaster (let alone the leadership qualities). If I was another team, I wouldn't mind hiring as an OC because I think their are a lot worse OC's out there but I wouldn't bring him back in a million years. Not to mention the fact that outside of a couple people, I don't think many people respect Trest so him doing anything in here would stupid for him to ever consider because he'd already be at a disadvantage.